Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738811 times)

Jacob Gary

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #600 on: October 06, 2017, 01:26:48 PM »
I just went through a pair of 44's, broke the hanger because they were thin.

I like how they turn the best as opposed to indy and thunder, with thunder being a close second. Maybe I'm just fucked in the head but when I turn on a pair of indys I feel like because the pivot point is wider the turning is damper which is not the case with thunder or ace.

Plus the thin hanger is fuckin dope for mallgrabbing.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #601 on: October 08, 2017, 07:29:36 AM »
It's funny to me how you guys bend your axles constantly but Ronni raven Dela ect use them just fine

How do you know they don't have problems?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #602 on: October 08, 2017, 09:53:41 AM »
Expand Quote
It's funny to me how you guys bend your axles constantly but Ronni raven Dela ect use them just fine
[close]

How do you know they don't have problems?
adding onto j.soy

how do you know they don't switch trucks frequently because they are sponsored?

Mongoloid

« Reply #603 on: October 08, 2017, 10:13:52 AM »
FWIW I've jumped down straight drops from about 6' up at 170lbs and I haven't bent an axle or cracked a baseplate yet. Hell, I haven't even so much as loosened the kingpin hole either.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #604 on: October 10, 2017, 10:54:47 AM »
I was looking for aftermarket bushings, and it looks like Socal is stocking the mag baseplates right now. I'm not really a weight weenie, but for those that have gone stock to mag plates, is it super noticeable weight-wise?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #605 on: October 10, 2017, 11:10:50 AM »
I was looking for aftermarket bushings, and it looks like Socal is stocking the mag baseplates right now. I'm not really a weight weenie, but for those that have gone stock to mag plates, is it super noticeable weight-wise?

I don't know about how much it would actually affect your skating, but when you hold it in your hand the difference is pretty obvious.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #606 on: October 10, 2017, 11:42:26 AM »

It's significant. More so than going from cast to forged.

EDIT: Unless the HI plates have sold old, they're only selling the Lo Plates (which you cannot interchange with HI hangers, sadly and they don't make the 44s in lo).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:46:41 AM by Xen »

jamersonbass

« Reply #607 on: October 10, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

EDIT: Unless the HI plates have sold old, they're only selling the Lo Plates (which you cannot interchange with HI hangers, sadly and they don't make the 44s in lo).

Good looking out, guys.  I missed the low distinction.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #608 on: October 10, 2017, 07:44:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Good looking out, guys.  I missed the low distinction.

I was on that site in a heartbeat ready to buy the lot.

jamersonbass

« Reply #609 on: October 10, 2017, 07:55:29 PM »

I was on that site in a heartbeat ready to buy the lot.
[/quote]

Didn't mean to get anyone's hopes up.  My bad on my lack of attention to detail.

N.L.

« Reply #610 on: October 10, 2017, 08:04:16 PM »
I nearly ordered the Mag base plates also but decided against that second donut instead.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #611 on: October 11, 2017, 08:27:56 AM »
Anyone skate 44's on 8.0 boards? I want to try ace's again,  havn't had it since I got 03's their first year, which I bent in the first few days, so I want the beefier hanger.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #612 on: October 11, 2017, 09:26:47 AM »
Anyone skate 44's on 8.0 boards? I want to try ace's again,  havn't had it since I got 03's their first year, which I bent in the first few days, so I want the beefier hanger.

Narrowest I went with 44s was on an 8.125, wasn't bad but I didn't stick with it.

Why not just get 33s? Even without the beefier hanger they were (are?) less prone to bending.

seb

• Rep: 43
« Reply #613 on: November 12, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »
I know it‘s been discussed here but can‘t remember if it‘s been solved. Anyway I figured out why some Aces make that anoying squeaking sound and how to fix it! I love how aces turn and feel, but this almost made me ditch them again.
But i finally realized the problem is the pivot cup moving in its socket. So I took them out, put some shoegoo in (the holes where the cups go), put the pivot cups back in and voilá - no more squeaking!
Such a relief after messing with my bushings and pivot cups forever to get rid of it.
Hope it helps if you have the same problem.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #614 on: November 12, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »
I know it‘s been discussed here but can‘t remember if it‘s been solved. Anyway I figured out why some Aces make that anoying squeaking sound and how to fix it! I love how aces turn and feel, but this almost made me ditch them again.
But i finally realized the problem is the pivot cup moving in its socket. So I took them out, put some shoegoo in (the holes where the cups go), put the pivot cups back in and voilá - no more squeaking!
Such a relief after messing with my bushings and pivot cups forever to get rid of it.
Hope it helps if you have the same problem.

but what about when you have to replace your pivot cups? won't there be stuff stuck in the pivot hole?

seb

« Reply #615 on: November 12, 2017, 01:37:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

but what about when you have to replace your pivot cups? won't there be stuff stuck in the pivot hole?

I guess you can still do that. The first session after putting it in there most of it got pushed out again, so there shouldn't be much shoegoo left between the cup and baseplate. And there was just a minimal amount in there to begin with.
I'm about a month in and still no sqeaking by now. Just beyond stoked it worked so far and if it comes back I'll put some more in.

Diocletian

« Reply #616 on: November 20, 2017, 06:33:50 AM »
Just an update for anyone that cares: Ace has now eliminated the curved hanger and they are straight just like every truck out there. The 3/8” axle nuts are no longer included on the trucks, either. They’re back to regular nylock axle nuts.

Kitto Horsley

« Reply #617 on: November 20, 2017, 10:12:15 AM »
Having to buy a new set of trucks after leaving my board on a train so...I was wondering what bushings people would recommend if you couldn't get krux (seems to be slap's favourite, but I can't find them anywhere in the UK). On my last aces I had a bones medium on top and stock ace on the bottom which was fine but just seeing what others recommend. I'm tempted to try and just persevere with the stock bushings but its such a pain to break bushings in. Any suggestions welcomed!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #618 on: November 20, 2017, 10:38:09 AM »
I tried a ton of different bushing setups on mine and by far the best have been stock Aces. It is indeed a bitch to break them in, but once you've done it, they're brilliant.

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #619 on: November 20, 2017, 11:12:35 AM »
Having to buy a new set of trucks after leaving my board on a train so...

You need a new leash brah, not new bushings... but Krux if you insist.

seb

« Reply #620 on: November 20, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »
Try this:
Put your new bushings into hot (almost boiling) water for 10mins, set up your trucks and go skate immediately (at least push around making turns). Your bushings should feel broken in right away.

Or make fun of me and hate your new bushings for weeks. Your choice.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #621 on: November 20, 2017, 08:41:10 PM »
indy super soft.  swerve immediately.

although i do have a stock top (nutside) that i sanded about a millimeter off of on the back for a little stability.

sanding bushings down is a nightmare though.

chodekaka

« Reply #622 on: November 20, 2017, 09:35:30 PM »
I found that ace stock bushings are the best bushings I have tried really, and I was also pleasantly surprised that “breaking them in” was nothing like other trucks. For me ace have been strange, everyone says they are squirrelly and loose but I found them to be more stable and predictable than Indy’s, amazing bushings and broken in within hours. By far the best trucks I have used, finally a truck I can just buy and use stock. I’m 6 foot 3 and 220lbs usually I have to put in hard bushings and tighten them down to get enough stability from Indy’s and I am running stock ace bushings with only one thread showing on the kingpin. So almost flush. Also the quality of ace bushings is definitely above the others. On stock Indy bushings you can see air bubbles and the edges are usually fraying a bit, but ace bushings have no fraying edges, no bubbles, it’s hard to describe but they seem to be way better quality. I think it’s fucking bullshit honestly that teams of engineers designing trucks still use shit bushings but will make them “1mm taller” or put a hollow kingpin in a cast baseplate. These guys could put in better bushings but I’m convinced they don’t so that bones bushings can market theirs.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:41:00 PM by chodekaka »

SJ

« Reply #623 on: November 20, 2017, 11:18:22 PM »
If I wasn't using a krux top bushing, I'd be running the stock top instead of anything else. But the krux top is so worth it.

Diocletian

« Reply #624 on: November 21, 2017, 11:24:48 AM »
I weight about 210lbs and Krux bushings, although great quality, they gave me wheelbite galore on my Ace’s. The trick I found is just keep their stock bottom bushing on with the stock bottom washer, and use any shorter top bushing of your liking. If you just keep the stock Ace top bushing on but remove the washer, it makes your board sound dead even if you tighten it down enough, therefore needing a different top bushing and washer comes into play. I use a black Indy hard for my top bushing on my Ace’s and the washer rattles and spins while I ride and the sound alone gets me pumped. It’s crazy because with this combo I have hardly any wheelbite even though my back truck is loose as hell and my front even looser with a slight amount of hanger wobble and rattling washers.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #625 on: November 21, 2017, 08:52:20 PM »
  How come no ones doing the bones bushings in aces?  Thats what I put in there and they worked. (I'd still ride those but there bent)
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Diocletian

« Reply #626 on: November 21, 2017, 10:24:22 PM »
Bones bushings are way too short and affect the geometry of Ace’s. Even when I put a washer underneath the bottom bushing it was still shorter than the stock one without its washer. Bones work great if you don’t care about the geometry and want insanely wobbly loose. I think Matt Rodriguez stopped cutting his bushings and just started using the Bones if my eyes saw correctly in a picture. I could see the plastic cores from the Bones bushings.

I also got insane wheelbite using Bones. Now, using a stock bottom bushing with a bones medium top worked great...until I slappied a dozen times and the top bones bushing shredded from the core. In general, I don’t think Bones bushings are worth what you pay for. One of the most expensive bushings on the market and they separate from the core or deform easily unless you buy the hards, and those take awhile to break in. Pure urethane bushings are the way to go, just gotta find the right duro and shape that suits you.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #627 on: November 21, 2017, 11:07:10 PM »
  How come no ones doing the bones bushings in aces?  Thats what I put in there and they worked. (I'd still ride those but there bent)

I ran bones hards in my ACE lows, loved it once they broke in, ACES force bones hards to turn :)

I've also ran bones meds in aces with proper height washers, works fine...currently running mini logo softs in aces with washers (same height as stock) and it's great.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #628 on: November 22, 2017, 05:30:02 AM »
Do the axles still slip?

Mongoloid

« Reply #629 on: November 22, 2017, 06:29:41 AM »
Do the axles still slip?

I mostly do flip tricks, and I’ve never had the axles slip on my Aces fwiw.