Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 116100 times)

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 3
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #660 on: November 29, 2017, 04:13:19 PM »
Are the separate krux bushings different from the ones that come stock with their trucks? I tried running krux this time last year and couldn't get those things to break in for the life of me, way too hard.

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #661 on: November 29, 2017, 08:18:14 PM »
Are the separate krux bushings different from the ones that come stock with their trucks? I tried running krux this time last year and couldn't get those things to break in for the life of me, way too hard.

I think the krux bushings most people put in aces are these:
https://www.tactics.com/krux/worlds-best-cushions/white-medium
I can't say for sure with krux but aftermarket bushings are generally of higher quality than stock given my experience with indy and thunder ones. And these krux ones are definitely softer than the stock ace bushings, by a lot.

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #662 on: November 29, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »
I think they're the same that come stock in Krux. However, they behave very differently in Aces. Don't judge them on how they perform in Krux trucks as silly as that sounds... If you like it loose to just before the point of rattle, Krux in Aces is a winning combo.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -483
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #663 on: November 30, 2017, 05:00:53 PM »
Rode Aces for the first time today and they're amazing. For such a loose surfy truck, they're so stable. I think I'll be able to get away with loosening them a bit more than I would with Indys

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #664 on: November 30, 2017, 07:09:53 PM »
Rode Aces for the first time today and they're amazing. For such a loose surfy truck, they're so stable. I think I'll be able to get away with loosening them a bit more than I would with Indys

You can for sure, that's the beauty of trucks being able to turn, you don't need them wobbly loose.

tzhangdox

« Reply #665 on: November 30, 2017, 09:47:29 PM »

On the other hand, no matter how much you tighten aces, they will still turn. Really underrated truck.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #666 on: December 03, 2017, 05:10:19 PM »
Replacement hangers?

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #667 on: December 04, 2017, 06:14:59 AM »
Has anyone skated the low Ace 03’s? How do they turn/grind compared to the hi’s? Looks like the kingpin is longer.

sweet pee

• Rep: 115
« Reply #668 on: December 04, 2017, 08:18:10 AM »
I had the Ace 03 Lows and didn't care for them. The kingpin is pretty tall and doesn't have much clearance. The lowered height doesn't seem to jive with the geometry and turning radius of the truck. I experienced a fair amount of wheelbite using both Bones Mediums and the Ace stock bushings.

I would say go with the standard height 33's

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -406
« Reply #669 on: December 04, 2017, 05:02:20 PM »
they don't have the 66 (9 1/2) on the site anymore.  I facebooked them about it and am awaiting their reply.
message of love (bring the mean locals cookies)

full of jerks

• Rep: -10
« Reply #670 on: December 04, 2017, 10:02:22 PM »
they don't have the 66 (9 1/2) on the site anymore.  I facebooked them about it and am awaiting their reply.

Skate Warehouse has them.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 16
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #671 on: December 05, 2017, 10:59:16 AM »
Just an update for anyone that cares: Ace has now eliminated the curved hanger and they are straight just like every truck out there. The 3/8” axle nuts are no longer included on the trucks, either. They’re back to regular nylock axle nuts.

I've heard about this too.  They have changed manufacturers all together and are using a different metal.  It looks stronger, but I've just seen them and have yet to test it out.  The hangers are straighter and yeah they got rid of the 3/8 gimmick nuts that would slip off.  I heard they have also improved the stock bushings as well.  Can't wait to try it out.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:01:22 AM by Decreed Bratton »

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 2
« Reply #672 on: December 05, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
Just make some Grind King style kingpins and call it a day...

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -406
« Reply #673 on: December 05, 2017, 08:06:48 PM »

Skate Warehouse has them.
thanks for that,  I heard the new ones are stronger and am scared the skate warehouse ones are the old ones.  If ace don't have new ones I might oreder the skate warehouse ones
message of love (bring the mean locals cookies)

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #674 on: December 05, 2017, 09:29:02 PM »
3/8 gimmick nuts that would slip off.

For the record, i've been riding trucks with these since march and not a once have they come off

m477

« Reply #675 on: December 05, 2017, 09:32:16 PM »
I have the newer version of Ace 44, got them from SoCal skate shop. They are indeed flat and have a new flitter type silver color. They also seem heavier than before, I put them on my crude kitchen scale and they were dead on the same weight as my nearly new Indy 149

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #676 on: December 05, 2017, 10:21:50 PM »
Has anyone skated the low Ace 03’s? How do they turn/grind compared to the hi’s? Looks like the kingpin is longer.

They’re meh, they’re like a tighter less bulk feeling Indy low.

The only thing I really liked about them was the way the baseplate locked in for slides cause I guess how the ace geo pushes the hangar in and reduces the wb too, but low and pushed in wheel base was a bad combo

Didn’t feel good, as the other guy said stick to the 33 cause the ace geo doesn’t mix with low center of gravity
yes

SJ

« Reply #677 on: December 06, 2017, 09:31:20 AM »
Just adding on here but fuck the 38 specials. I was on a mellow downhill and i see my nut fly off and 2 seconds later my wheel flys off and i barely missed eating pavement.

layzieyez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #678 on: December 06, 2017, 01:08:59 PM »
3/8 gimmick nuts that would slip off.

For the record, i've been riding trucks with these since march and not a once have they come off
I've had good luck with mine, too. Replaced the axle nuts in a few setups to these and none of them have fallen off.
I take everything I said back. The board hit me in the nuts for the first time ever today, because i was wearing these shits.

tzhangdox

« Reply #679 on: December 06, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »
Just adding on here but fuck the 38 specials. I was on a mellow downhill and i see my nut fly off and 2 seconds later my wheel flys off and i barely missed eating pavement.

Same here. Threw my board down on the street, nut fell off, wheel fell off, faceplanted and almost got run over by the bus behind me. Thought it was really cool but not worth the risk.

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #680 on: December 06, 2017, 02:17:22 PM »
Yikes, I'm riding 38 specials. Maybe I'll just put a bit of loctite on them

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #681 on: December 06, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »

Have you got them axle flush or a little poking out? because sitting flush they dont work

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #682 on: December 06, 2017, 05:57:31 PM »
Last set picked up I swapped the special nuts off first thing...can't see how anyone thought it was a good idea...puts some nylon in them bitches...

Diocletian

« Reply #683 on: December 06, 2017, 06:05:49 PM »
Although I did state Ace said they now make the hangers straight, I did happen to check out a set of the new forest green ones. They have regular nylock nuts on the axles, but still had the ever so slightly curved “rocker” in the hanger. Just as much as a set of ones that came stock with the .38 specials. So it seems again, you have to take everything Ace claims with a grain of salt.

I’ve yet to have any problems with bending or axle slip, from their old design to the new ones. Curved hanger or not, they both work fine. They just need to focus on a stricter quality control, with hangers and axles coming out even. Especially making sure the axle facings aren’t all wavey, deformed looking, and oval-like. If you pay attention you’ll notice some sets look sloppy at the shop.

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #684 on: December 07, 2017, 12:47:37 AM »

Have you got them axle flush or a little poking out? because sitting flush they dont work
Nah there's a little axle sticking out on all of them

alraunen

• Rep: -4
    • www.davidcampillo.net
« Reply #685 on: December 08, 2017, 12:45:55 PM »
I'm currently riding thunders 151 with a 8,75 board but I'm really tempted to buy a set of Aces (thanks slap). Does anyone moved from Thunders 151/Indys 159 to the Ace 55? Can someone confirm that the 55 are 8,875? Thanks!

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -3
« Reply #686 on: December 08, 2017, 04:00:39 PM »
I'm currently riding thunders 151 with a 8,75 board but I'm really tempted to buy a set of Aces (thanks slap). Does anyone moved from Thunders 151/Indys 159 to the Ace 55? Can someone confirm that the 55 are 8,875? Thanks!
They are indeed 8.875
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

Lt. Frank Drebin

• Rep: 27
« Reply #687 on: December 08, 2017, 05:42:49 PM »

I made the switch, flip tricks for sure feel different and take some getting used to even on the same deck, it really switches up the wheelbase. Aces are stable for sure, but turn easily and it's a much deeper turn, so it's a different sensation from Thunders. I think you'll be stoked on the switch though, plus you get to show everyone at the park how cool you are by skating the widest and loosest trucks.

clamy

• Rep: 81
« Reply #688 on: December 09, 2017, 02:26:03 AM »

I used to make sure the axles were always flush with the nuts. I tried to do it on the 38 specials and yeah it didn't work. I tightened them a little more and they've been fine ever since. No stripped axle either.

Ace updated their stock bushings with something a little more softer. They didn't mention the duro, but they are softer. Their past stock bushings have been fine, once broken in they're great.

Love the 44s on 8 and 8.125.

alraunen

• Rep: -4
    • www.davidcampillo.net
« Reply #689 on: December 09, 2017, 09:54:42 AM »

I made the switch, flip tricks for sure feel different and take some getting used to even on the same deck, it really switches up the wheelbase. Aces are stable for sure, but turn easily and it's a much deeper turn, so it's a different sensation from Thunders. I think you'll be stoked on the switch though, plus you get to show everyone at the park how cool you are by skating the widest and loosest trucks.

I'm very interested in look cool at the park, definitely I'm getting them, thanks for the answers pals! 🙌