Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738958 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #660 on: December 05, 2017, 09:29:02 PM »
3/8 gimmick nuts that would slip off.

For the record, i've been riding trucks with these since march and not a once have they come off

m477

• Rep: 6
« Reply #661 on: December 05, 2017, 09:32:16 PM »
I have the newer version of Ace 44, got them from SoCal skate shop. They are indeed flat and have a new flitter type silver color. They also seem heavier than before, I put them on my crude kitchen scale and they were dead on the same weight as my nearly new Indy 149

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #662 on: December 05, 2017, 10:21:50 PM »
Has anyone skated the low Ace 03’s? How do they turn/grind compared to the hi’s? Looks like the kingpin is longer.

They’re meh, they’re like a tighter less bulk feeling Indy low.

The only thing I really liked about them was the way the baseplate locked in for slides cause I guess how the ace geo pushes the hangar in and reduces the wb too, but low and pushed in wheel base was a bad combo

Didn’t feel good, as the other guy said stick to the 33 cause the ace geo doesn’t mix with low center of gravity
yes

SJ

« Reply #663 on: December 06, 2017, 09:31:20 AM »
Just adding on here but fuck the 38 specials. I was on a mellow downhill and i see my nut fly off and 2 seconds later my wheel flys off and i barely missed eating pavement.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #664 on: December 06, 2017, 01:08:59 PM »
Expand Quote
3/8 gimmick nuts that would slip off.
[close]

For the record, i've been riding trucks with these since march and not a once have they come off
I've had good luck with mine, too. Replaced the axle nuts in a few setups to these and none of them have fallen off.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #665 on: December 06, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »
Just adding on here but fuck the 38 specials. I was on a mellow downhill and i see my nut fly off and 2 seconds later my wheel flys off and i barely missed eating pavement.

Same here. Threw my board down on the street, nut fell off, wheel fell off, faceplanted and almost got run over by the bus behind me. Thought it was really cool but not worth the risk.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #666 on: December 06, 2017, 02:17:22 PM »
Yikes, I'm riding 38 specials. Maybe I'll just put a bit of loctite on them

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #667 on: December 06, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »

Have you got them axle flush or a little poking out? because sitting flush they dont work

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #668 on: December 06, 2017, 05:57:31 PM »
Last set picked up I swapped the special nuts off first thing...can't see how anyone thought it was a good idea...puts some nylon in them bitches...

Diocletian

« Reply #669 on: December 06, 2017, 06:05:49 PM »
Although I did state Ace said they now make the hangers straight, I did happen to check out a set of the new forest green ones. They have regular nylock nuts on the axles, but still had the ever so slightly curved “rocker” in the hanger. Just as much as a set of ones that came stock with the .38 specials. So it seems again, you have to take everything Ace claims with a grain of salt.

I’ve yet to have any problems with bending or axle slip, from their old design to the new ones. Curved hanger or not, they both work fine. They just need to focus on a stricter quality control, with hangers and axles coming out even. Especially making sure the axle facings aren’t all wavey, deformed looking, and oval-like. If you pay attention you’ll notice some sets look sloppy at the shop.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #670 on: December 07, 2017, 12:47:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you got them axle flush or a little poking out? because sitting flush they dont work
Nah there's a little axle sticking out on all of them

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #671 on: December 08, 2017, 12:45:55 PM »
I'm currently riding thunders 151 with a 8,75 board but I'm really tempted to buy a set of Aces (thanks slap). Does anyone moved from Thunders 151/Indys 159 to the Ace 55? Can someone confirm that the 55 are 8,875? Thanks!

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #672 on: December 08, 2017, 04:00:39 PM »
I'm currently riding thunders 151 with a 8,75 board but I'm really tempted to buy a set of Aces (thanks slap). Does anyone moved from Thunders 151/Indys 159 to the Ace 55? Can someone confirm that the 55 are 8,875? Thanks!
They are indeed 8.875
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #673 on: December 08, 2017, 05:42:49 PM »

I made the switch, flip tricks for sure feel different and take some getting used to even on the same deck, it really switches up the wheelbase. Aces are stable for sure, but turn easily and it's a much deeper turn, so it's a different sensation from Thunders. I think you'll be stoked on the switch though, plus you get to show everyone at the park how cool you are by skating the widest and loosest trucks.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #674 on: December 09, 2017, 09:54:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I made the switch, flip tricks for sure feel different and take some getting used to even on the same deck, it really switches up the wheelbase. Aces are stable for sure, but turn easily and it's a much deeper turn, so it's a different sensation from Thunders. I think you'll be stoked on the switch though, plus you get to show everyone at the park how cool you are by skating the widest and loosest trucks.

I'm very interested in look cool at the park, definitely I'm getting them, thanks for the answers pals! 🙌

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #675 on: December 09, 2017, 05:32:40 PM »
Loose kingpin again... on my 55s... Not sure it matters to me but it might to you....

Diocletian

« Reply #676 on: December 13, 2017, 07:09:49 AM »
I never noticed when I saw the new ones in the flesh, but now that I’m seeing a bunch of photos of the newly released Ace’s, they kinda made the hanger look a bit like a Theeve now, which I’m not sure if I like because Ace always had a distinct look and shape. The 33’s also have a wider “V” stemming from the pivot up to the hanger, for anyone that cares who nerds out on stupid crap like me.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #677 on: December 13, 2017, 07:12:32 AM »
I never noticed when I saw the new ones in the flesh, but now that I’m seeing a bunch of photos of the newly released Ace’s, they kinda made the hanger look a bit like a Theeve now, which I’m not sure if I like because Ace always had a distinct look and shape. The 33’s also have a wider “V” stemming from the pivot up to the hanger, for anyone that cares who nerds out on stupid crap like me.

Yeah, the wider V was for better reinforcement (bending).  I guess the TiH theeves still use that slim design due to the metal used.

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #678 on: December 14, 2017, 11:24:25 AM »
https://www.acetrucks.com/
"Constructed from pure 7071 series aluminum
Heat-treated 3056 series steel axles."

Is this the same metal they've always used?

I'm not expert but isn't this better quality than Indy's aluminum?

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #679 on: December 15, 2017, 03:21:53 PM »
Saw this guy on the threads a while ago and he showed up on the related videos and I figured why not post it here
P.S. He's on to us
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeWp3VJn7tE
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #680 on: December 16, 2017, 06:21:31 PM »
He has posted on the photo forum

Diocletian

« Reply #681 on: December 17, 2017, 02:14:12 PM »
Thanks for the post LRFC! Didn’t even know they had their website up and running...finally. So they’re 52mm tall??? Always thought they were at 53mm? Seems like after all this time they’re really striving to get their shit together and it’s nice they’ve come out with actual info on their metal quality and specifications.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #682 on: December 17, 2017, 02:16:15 PM »
Thanks for the post LRFC! Didn’t even know they had their website up and running...finally. So they’re 52mm tall??? Always thought they were at 53mm? Seems like after all this time they’re really striving to get their shit together and it’s nice they’ve come out with actual info on their metal quality and specifications.

Probably cause they realized a lot of people love the way aces ride, but they were kinda shit for quality/consistency for a while.

Even though they're my third choice behind thunder and indy, I still keep my curved hanger-44's on an 8.0. I'll keep riding them now and then for the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:18:04 PM by JusticeAbberdash »

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #683 on: December 17, 2017, 02:20:51 PM »
Ive truly fucked myself. I can't ride any other trucks. Quality control be damned. I'll risk it for Ace.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #684 on: December 17, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »
Ive truly fucked myself. I can't ride any other trucks. Quality control be damned. I'll risk it for Ace.

It's the geometry methinks. They just hit a sweet spot! It's not my preferential spot, but I can appreciate it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #685 on: December 18, 2017, 09:14:55 AM »
I wonder what the new 'classic' tagline means...

52mm?

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #686 on: December 18, 2017, 11:23:40 AM »
I wonder what the new 'classic' tagline means...

52mm?

No clue on actual height, but probably just marketing.  I like the height where it is though. I'd love to see them come out with different aftermarket bushing durometers.  I'm a tall lanky thing and the stock bushings were right where I wanted them for 2 or 3 weeks after the initial break in and then got a bit squishy.  I think running 44's on an 8.5 didn't help though.  On the Quasi 8.5 shape they were close to perfect because of the taper, but after winter this year I'll definitely be looking to size down a hair to fit the trucks better.

Daniel

« Reply #687 on: December 20, 2017, 12:07:57 AM »
Bought and broke in the 44's with new sets of pivot cups in them. Used to be a die hard Indy fan, now Ace is where it's at. Going to give these bushings a bit longer and then I'll try the Krux replacements. If they ever restock or re-release them, the mag plates would be sick!

thebacker

« Reply #688 on: December 20, 2017, 09:42:14 PM »
Bought and broke in the 44's with new sets of pivot cups in them. Used to be a die hard Indy fan, now Ace is where it's at. Going to give these bushings a bit longer and then I'll try the Krux replacements. If they ever restock or re-release them, the mag plates would be sick!
the krux bushings are a  game changer fasho

Daniel

« Reply #689 on: December 21, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
the krux bushings are a  game changer fasho

Just tried the Krux cushions and they're super loose. The carve is so much deeper than the stock I almost get wheel bite. Really different but very nice, I'll just have to get used to it...