Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 116311 times)

Lee Ralph Fan Club

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #690 on: December 09, 2017, 05:32:40 PM »
Loose kingpin again... on my 55s... Not sure it matters to me but it might to you....

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #691 on: December 13, 2017, 07:09:49 AM »
I never noticed when I saw the new ones in the flesh, but now that Im seeing a bunch of photos of the newly released Aces, they kinda made the hanger look a bit like a Theeve now, which Im not sure if I like because Ace always had a distinct look and shape. The 33s also have a wider V stemming from the pivot up to the hanger, for anyone that cares who nerds out on stupid crap like me.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #692 on: December 13, 2017, 07:12:32 AM »
I never noticed when I saw the new ones in the flesh, but now that Im seeing a bunch of photos of the newly released Aces, they kinda made the hanger look a bit like a Theeve now, which Im not sure if I like because Ace always had a distinct look and shape. The 33s also have a wider V stemming from the pivot up to the hanger, for anyone that cares who nerds out on stupid crap like me.

Yeah, the wider V was for better reinforcement (bending).  I guess the TiH theeves still use that slim design due to the metal used.

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #693 on: December 14, 2017, 11:24:25 AM »
https://www.acetrucks.com/
"Constructed from pure 7071 series aluminum
Heat-treated 3056 series steel axles."

Is this the same metal they've always used?

I'm not expert but isn't this better quality than Indy's aluminum?

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #694 on: December 15, 2017, 03:21:53 PM »
Saw this guy on the threads a while ago and he showed up on the related videos and I figured why not post it here
P.S. He's on to us
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

nopes

• Rep: 19
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #695 on: December 16, 2017, 06:21:31 PM »
He has posted on the photo forum

Diocletian

« Reply #696 on: December 17, 2017, 02:14:12 PM »
Thanks for the post LRFC! Didnt even know they had their website up and running...finally. So theyre 52mm tall??? Always thought they were at 53mm? Seems like after all this time theyre really striving to get their shit together and its nice theyve come out with actual info on their metal quality and specifications.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #697 on: December 17, 2017, 02:16:15 PM »
Thanks for the post LRFC! Didnt even know they had their website up and running...finally. So theyre 52mm tall??? Always thought they were at 53mm? Seems like after all this time theyre really striving to get their shit together and its nice theyve come out with actual info on their metal quality and specifications.

Probably cause they realized a lot of people love the way aces ride, but they were kinda shit for quality/consistency for a while.

Even though they're my third choice behind thunder and indy, I still keep my curved hanger-44's on an 8.0. I'll keep riding them now and then for the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:18:04 PM by JusticeAbberdash »

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #698 on: December 17, 2017, 02:20:51 PM »
Ive truly fucked myself. I can't ride any other trucks. Quality control be damned. I'll risk it for Ace.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #699 on: December 17, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »
Ive truly fucked myself. I can't ride any other trucks. Quality control be damned. I'll risk it for Ace.

It's the geometry methinks. They just hit a sweet spot! It's not my preferential spot, but I can appreciate it.

clamy

• Rep: 81
« Reply #700 on: December 17, 2017, 03:05:29 PM »

The turn is just exceptional. The height and width work well for me, too. Indies are too high and Thunders are too low for me. Also the extended wheelbase with Thunders really fucked up all of my flip tricks. Indies just feel sluggish and boring to me now, even after skating them for years and years.

My first set of 44s got axle slip after a year (first time I've ever experienced this), but I bought another set immediately after. Hopefully this pair will last a little longer.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:34:18 PM by clamy »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #701 on: December 18, 2017, 09:14:55 AM »
I wonder what the new 'classic' tagline means...

52mm?

jamersonbass

• Rep: 11
« Reply #702 on: December 18, 2017, 11:23:40 AM »
I wonder what the new 'classic' tagline means...

52mm?

No clue on actual height, but probably just marketing.  I like the height where it is though. I'd love to see them come out with different aftermarket bushing durometers.  I'm a tall lanky thing and the stock bushings were right where I wanted them for 2 or 3 weeks after the initial break in and then got a bit squishy.  I think running 44's on an 8.5 didn't help though.  On the Quasi 8.5 shape they were close to perfect because of the taper, but after winter this year I'll definitely be looking to size down a hair to fit the trucks better.

Daniel

• On permanent vacation.
« Reply #703 on: December 20, 2017, 12:07:57 AM »
Bought and broke in the 44's with new sets of pivot cups in them. Used to be a die hard Indy fan, now Ace is where it's at. Going to give these bushings a bit longer and then I'll try the Krux replacements. If they ever restock or re-release them, the mag plates would be sick!

DaveFuck

• Rep: 33
« Reply #704 on: December 20, 2017, 09:42:14 PM »
Bought and broke in the 44's with new sets of pivot cups in them. Used to be a die hard Indy fan, now Ace is where it's at. Going to give these bushings a bit longer and then I'll try the Krux replacements. If they ever restock or re-release them, the mag plates would be sick!
the krux bushings are a  game changer fasho

Daniel

• On permanent vacation.
« Reply #705 on: December 21, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »

Just tried the Krux cushions and they're super loose. The carve is so much deeper than the stock I almost get wheel bite. Really different but very nice, I'll just have to get used to it...

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #706 on: December 21, 2017, 12:31:39 PM »

Just tried the Krux cushions and they're super loose. The carve is so much deeper than the stock I almost get wheel bite. Really different but very nice, I'll just have to get used to it...

If it's too loose or squirrelly for your liking, the bones medium are a nice alternative that still maintains the excellent turn without being thaaaat loose.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #707 on: December 21, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »
I'm running soft (green) mini logos in my 44s, very nice, probably on par with the krux.

Also, from ACE via a month old FB post asking if we'll ever see mag plates again...still, there's hope for something! Hollows? Forged?

" it does not seem likely but we will develop another lightweeight technology in the future. Thanks for your interest in Ace."

Daniel

• On permanent vacation.
« Reply #708 on: December 22, 2017, 01:09:44 AM »
I'm running soft (green) mini logos in my 44s, very nice, probably on par with the krux.

Also, from ACE via a month old FB post asking if we'll ever see mag plates again...still, there's hope for something! Hollows? Forged?

" it does not seem likely but we will develop another lightweeight technology in the future. Thanks for your interest in Ace."

If they make the same beefed up hanger with a hollow axel, hollow kingpin mag plate with a raw finish, new updated/improved stock bushing and pivot cup, it would be the hands down best truck on the market.

funeral_tuxedo

• Rep: 15
  • old and in the way
« Reply #709 on: December 22, 2017, 07:57:51 AM »
Has anyone tried the new design yet to compare/contrast to the older design? I rode an older model 33 and they were great but the axle nuts kept loosening and popping off, causing me to slam and then search for the lock nuts, so I traded them in for Indys. The Indys are great but feel so tight and un-flowy now.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #710 on: December 22, 2017, 08:30:28 AM »
Weird, I never had axle nut issues on any model.or stage.

SJ

« Reply #711 on: December 22, 2017, 11:20:36 AM »
Has anyone tried the new design yet to compare/contrast to the older design? I rode an older model 33 and they were great but the axle nuts kept loosening and popping off, causing me to slam and then search for the lock nuts, so I traded them in for Indys. The Indys are great but feel so tight and un-flowy now.

Those axle nuts are the 38 specials and they're fucking garbage. Just switch out the nuts and you'll be good.

Diocletian

« Reply #712 on: December 22, 2017, 11:02:00 PM »
Sorry if Ive already asked this question, but since Ive already broken baseplates at the pivot point in my Aces from slappies, does anyone whos used the magnesium baseplates or knows about metal strength know if the chances would be higher of them breaking compared to cast aluminum baseplates?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #713 on: December 22, 2017, 11:24:09 PM »
Sorry if Ive already asked this question, but since Ive already broken baseplates at the pivot point in my Aces from slappies, does anyone whos used the magnesium baseplates or knows about metal strength know if the chances would be higher of them breaking compared to cast aluminum baseplates?
mag plates will break easier.  one of the reasons that ace stopped making them is because they would often crack in transit

vancanman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #714 on: December 22, 2017, 11:51:21 PM »
Saw this guy on the threads a while ago and he showed up on the related videos and I figured why not post it here
P.S. He's on to us

Fun fact. This is ted degros brother.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #715 on: December 23, 2017, 04:07:37 PM »

Krux are nice right off the bat but the stock bushings are amazing once you break them in. They just take forever to break in.

Diocletian

« Reply #716 on: December 23, 2017, 07:46:17 PM »
mag plates will break easier.  one of the reasons that ace stopped making them is because they would often crack in transit

Dang! Thats a bummer. Wish theyd make a forged plate already...

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #717 on: December 24, 2017, 05:40:36 AM »

If they make the same beefed up hanger with a hollow axel, hollow kingpin mag plate with a raw finish, new updated/improved stock bushing and pivot cup, it would be the hands down best truck on the market.

For some reason I like that they only have the real boy shit and that's what you have to ride, no hollow light shiny zumiez kid gear.

Daniel

• On permanent vacation.
« Reply #718 on: December 25, 2017, 05:45:36 PM »

For some reason I like that they only have the real boy shit and that's what you have to ride, no hollow light shiny zumiez kid gear.

That extra weight savings tho

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 2
« Reply #719 on: December 25, 2017, 06:36:15 PM »
I got some Krux Downlow allenhead kingpins and the white 92a bushings. I did both set, 44's and 55's. The bushings came with pivot cups, which Ive already had replaced the 44's twice now. They were a little tall, so I took a razor and trimmed them flush. JB welded the kingpin nut in the baseplate and let sit overnight. IT had just enough bite to get the trucks back together without having to shave the bushings. I did add a bit of loc-tite to the threads just for a bit of assurance. Skated the next day. Still loose, but way more stable and my front truck isnt flopping around anymore. Hope I'll get a bit more life outta these trucks. Pool coping blasted through the knuckles and Smiths lock in without that crazy nut scrape. Ledge and curb tricks felt the same too. The 55's came out great too, but I really dont skate that set up much, so I need to break them in a bit better.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 07:17:36 PM by Thrash-trash »