Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 115567 times)

Lee Ralph Fan Club

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #720 on: December 29, 2017, 02:03:47 PM »
Just got some new 44s. Can confirm they now come with softer stock bushings. Not tried yet but these might save the aftermarket Krux dilemma...

Just Giver

• Rep: 2
« Reply #721 on: December 30, 2017, 08:12:44 AM »
I picked up my first pair of Aces during Pitcrew's final sale.  They're 55s and appear to be the older slimmer model; I got them for an 8.88 Heroin Shovel Egg shape.  I purchased some of those Krux after market bushings because I read that they would make them nice and loose.  I wanted to know if it would work to run those Krux bushings in ACE 55s without the bottom washer, I have always removed the bottom washer in my Indies as a force of habit.  I am also wondering if it would be worth it to replace the pivot cup in the ACEs with the pivot cups that come with the Krux bushings right away or if I should wait until the stock pivot cups blow out?  Sorry if the answers to some of these questions are further back in the thread, I couldn't find them. 

SJ

« Reply #722 on: December 30, 2017, 09:17:30 AM »
I picked up my first pair of Aces during Pitcrew's final sale.  They're 55s and appear to be the older slimmer model; I got them for an 8.88 Heroin Shovel Egg shape.  I purchased some of those Krux after market bushings because I read that they would make them nice and loose.  I wanted to know if it would work to run those Krux bushings in ACE 55s without the bottom washer, I have always removed the bottom washer in my Indies as a force of habit.  I am also wondering if it would be worth it to replace the pivot cup in the ACEs with the pivot cups that come with the Krux bushings right away or if I should wait until the stock pivot cups blow out?  Sorry if the answers to some of these questions are further back in the thread, I couldn't find them.

I don't recommend to take off any washers when you keep the stock bottom bushing and add a krux top bushing, you'll have a lil extra kingpin to loosen to your liking anyway. Also the krux pivot cups won't fit in ACEs, the stocks will blow out quick. If you're going to replace the pivot cups buy Khiro small softs they're the best for ACE

Just Giver

« Reply #723 on: December 30, 2017, 09:51:48 AM »
So I should leave the bottom bushing stock and only use the Krux bushing on top?  I was planning on using the Krux bushings for all four bushings. 

SJ

« Reply #724 on: December 30, 2017, 09:55:55 AM »
So I should leave the bottom bushing stock and only use the Krux bushing on top?  I was planning on using the Krux bushings for all four bushings.

Yes stock bottom, krux top. The Krux bottoms are shorter than the stock aces and will feel all fucked up when you skate it. Using the stock bottom bushing will keep the trucks geometry the same.

Thrash-trash

« Reply #725 on: December 30, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »

I don't recommend to take off any washers when you keep the stock bottom bushing and add a krux top bushing, you'll have a lil extra kingpin to loosen to your liking anyway. Also the krux pivot cups won't fit in ACEs, the stocks will blow out quick. If you're going to replace the pivot cups buy Khiro small softs they're the best for ACE

I just redid my 44's and 55's with Krux kingpins, bushings and pivot cups. I have them both skating back to how they were, but just not all floppy. Way more stable, but still nice and loose. I dont really feel much difference in the geometry or turning performance. The Krux pivot cups def aren't shaped the same as Ace stocks, but I made them work. Tapped them down and trimmed of the top. The 44's needed it, so I did the 55's at the same time.

I posted a before and after on the previous page with some photos...

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #726 on: December 30, 2017, 07:46:37 PM »

I just redid my 44's and 55's with Krux kingpins, bushings and pivot cups. I have them both skating back to how they were, but just not all floppy. Way more stable, but still nice and loose. I dont really feel much difference in the geometry or turning performance. The Krux pivot cups def aren't shaped the same as Ace stocks, but I made them work. Tapped them down and trimmed of the top. The 44's needed it, so I did the 55's at the same time.

Can you post a pic of what the trimmed krux pivot cup looks like in the truck? I have some, not sure if it's worth the effort putting them in, does it make a difference?

Thrash-trash

« Reply #727 on: December 31, 2017, 08:27:59 AM »

Can you post a pic of what the trimmed krux pivot cup looks like in the truck? I have some, not sure if it's worth the effort putting them in, does it make a difference?

Thrash-trash

« Reply #728 on: December 31, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »

The whole process was just an evening in the garage with a few beers. Pretty easy. I think the trucks are pretty much the same as before, but way more stable.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #729 on: January 04, 2018, 03:55:39 AM »

I'f you're fitting to get wild get the riptide pivot cups. They are fucking orgasmic. I've got them in my 44's and 66's. They make turns so much more buttery I was seriously surprised. But I've also trimmed down the kruk pivot cups by sanding them down on some grip of an old board and it took fucking forever, but they were still pretty good.

Thomas

• Rep: -1
  • no pop no style
« Reply #730 on: January 04, 2018, 05:02:33 AM »
Krux pivot cup were soft enough but too tight for Aces in my opinion.
I skated them a few weeks but got back to stock Ace pivot cup.

I like wobbling trucks...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #731 on: January 04, 2018, 07:53:00 PM »

Yes stock bottom, krux top. The Krux bottoms are shorter than the stock aces and will feel all fucked up when you skate it. Using the stock bottom bushing will keep the trucks geometry the same.

I know we geek out on this shit but most of the time you see the ACE pilots they're either running stock of bones!

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #732 on: January 04, 2018, 08:47:45 PM »

I know we geek out on this shit but most of the time you see the ACE pilots they're either running stock of bones!

I never had any trouble with the stock ACE bushings!

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #733 on: January 05, 2018, 08:13:04 AM »
Latest stock bushings are even better. No more need for Krux aftermarkets.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #734 on: January 05, 2018, 07:02:50 PM »

I find them much to hard.

Thom

• Rep: 3
« Reply #735 on: January 07, 2018, 03:49:45 PM »
Shortys bushings are a little too short for ACE trucks which makes for a really good wiggle + you can choose whichever duro suits you.

I ride red on the back yellow up front

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #736 on: January 07, 2018, 04:22:39 PM »

If anything I'd think too soft! How much do you weigh? Im 175

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #737 on: January 07, 2018, 06:59:42 PM »

I hover about around 180 but I like my trucks looseygoosey.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #738 on: January 07, 2018, 07:14:56 PM »

I hover about around 180 but I like my trucks looseygoosey.

Ahh that's probably it, I'm a medium-tight guy.

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #739 on: January 08, 2018, 09:19:31 AM »
Its probably b/c the new stock bushings are also a lot softer.

SJ

« Reply #740 on: January 12, 2018, 12:46:28 AM »
Can confirm that the new ACE's come with softer bushings, they feel really nice I'm probably going to stick with these.

Thrash-trash

« Reply #741 on: January 12, 2018, 07:31:42 AM »
Not that I shop at CCS, I usually look for shoe sales, but  for shits and giggles, I looked up the Aces they have listed. Looks like there is a new dimple next to the number stamps on the hangers close to the axle. Are these the "New" ones?

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #742 on: January 13, 2018, 03:12:33 PM »
The dimple is most likely just a random tiny cosmetic dent that all trucks have on them somewhere. You can tell the new ones by just looking at the V stemming from the pivot. Is has a different look to it now, almost looks like a theeve.

Side note: I have a set of old design slim Ace 44ís brand new if anyone wants them. $35 shipped USA only.

SJ

« Reply #743 on: January 14, 2018, 11:19:44 AM »
You can tell the new ones by just looking at the V stemming from the pivot. Is has a different look to it now, almost looks like a theeve.

Yeah I thought I noticed something different about the V, it's definitely feels thicker to the touch compared to the old ones.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #744 on: January 24, 2018, 04:43:11 PM »
On a whim I picked up some 90A Thunder bushings (the clear gold ones) to throw in my 44s (coupled with riptide cups) and I'm blown away how good they feel, especially not being fan of thunder bushings IN thunder trucks as they always feel too tight stock and I can't loosen them enough without the nut falling off.

The thunder bottom bushing is the same height as stock ACE bottoms which is pretty tall to begin with. Top is much shorter so with the krux pin = lots of clearance.

Prior, I was using bones meds/riptides and it just felt off somehow, like they would tip into the turn vs flow into it, but they were more responsive this way than using the Mini logo bushings; and I doubt the 1-2 mm height difference in bottom bushings would affect geo that much, let alone the 2 duro difference betwixt the bones (91) and thunders (90).

Felt broken in from the start given how turny the truck are, super smooth and not squirrley or tippy feeling. Worth a shot if you have them kicking around.

baravettski

• Rep: 40
« Reply #745 on: January 29, 2018, 04:03:21 PM »
I got some ace 44s and have shaved down stock Thunder top bushings (blue ones) and the bottoms and pivots are stock Ace. I had them on a hood cruiser with some keyframes but then put em on a normal setup and I've been digging it. They are pretty damn loose though so I've been tightening em about 1/8th of a turn a time then skating for a while to see how I like it. Digging em so far...

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #746 on: January 29, 2018, 08:25:39 PM »
I still really want mag plates even though Iíll probably break them. If anyone has a set or knows any place that I can order them from please let me know.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #747 on: January 30, 2018, 04:06:04 AM »
I still really want mag plates even though Iíll probably break them. If anyone has a set or knows any place that I can order them from please let me know.

http://www.skateprylar.se/produkt/ace-trucks-magnesium-baseplates/

Itís a Swedish shop though, so if youíre outside of Sweden, there might be some difficulties.

cosmicgypsies

• Rep: 114
« Reply #748 on: January 30, 2018, 07:15:32 AM »
How are ace's out of the box, specifically the 44's? I've had my thunders for three years now and whilst I really like them and the groove i've worn into them at this point they're just a headache; snapped a kingpin, replaced it but it's never really sat right in the hole causing the back truck to occasionally freak the fuck out and wobble, mounting holes are fairly worn out too. bought one of the rebuild kits in the hope it'd sort it out but the back ends still dodgy so I just want some trucks I can slap on and not have to worry about.

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-trucks-c18/ace-44s-raw-skateboard-truck-5-75-p6473

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
  • THEY OWE
« Reply #749 on: January 30, 2018, 08:20:07 AM »
it sounds like what you actually want is trucks that somehow last forever