Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 115650 times)

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #780 on: March 02, 2018, 05:12:09 PM »
I'm just gonna keep putting the Krux cushions/Khiro pivot cups in my Aces (even if the stock are now supposedly of better quality, which seems debatable from what folks here are saying) because they're perfect once they're set up that way and I can't see better quality stock bushings/pivot cups being nearly as good. It's not an expensive modification to make and seems well worth it thus far.

Khiro pivots donít fit Aceís properly. I know theyíre expensive but get Riptideís Ace pivots. Those with whatever your favorite bushings are in your Aceís turn them into the greatest truck you will ever experience. I keep stock Ace bottomís and a shorter top like a Krux or Indy.

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #781 on: March 02, 2018, 05:28:07 PM »
I'm just gonna keep putting the Krux cushions/Khiro pivot cups in my Aces (even if the stock are now supposedly of better quality, which seems debatable from what folks here are saying) because they're perfect once they're set up that way and I can't see better quality stock bushings/pivot cups being nearly as good. It's not an expensive modification to make and seems well worth it thus far.

Khiro pivots donít fit Aceís properly. I know theyíre expensive but get Riptideís Ace pivots. Those with whatever your favorite bushings are in your Aceís turn them into the greatest truck you will ever experience. I keep stock Ace bottomís and a shorter top like a Krux or Indy.

^This. Stock bottom and red indy top bushing is fantastic in my ace 55s right now, insanely sharp/quick turns. I've done stock, bones medium, bones hards, kruxs and this is currently my favourite, with the bones mediums being a close second. I got the khiro pivots and cut them down a bit and they seem to be great, never actually had any problems with stock pivots though.

troy

• Rep: -2
« Reply #782 on: March 04, 2018, 09:01:22 PM »
how do you know if the trucks are the old one or the redesign?

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #783 on: March 04, 2018, 09:17:19 PM »

The bottom where they connect to the baseplate is wider and they are straight on the edge where the wheels are, if they are rounded they are the old ones

goathead

• Rep: -5
« Reply #784 on: March 05, 2018, 07:01:26 AM »
I just bought a Primewood Dune Monster shape board (9.38 x 31.75) and been thinking about trying some Aces for it. Do you think the 55s would be enough with some wide wheels?

Been riding Indys for ten years and the change is scaring me

curbsmash

• Rep: 0
« Reply #785 on: March 05, 2018, 07:20:21 AM »
I just bought a Primewood Dune Monster shape board (9.38 x 31.75) and been thinking about trying some Aces for it. Do you think the 55s would be enough with some wide wheels?

Been riding Indys for ten years and the change is scaring me

I think youíd be totally fine with 55ís there. I also recently started riding Aces after only riding indyís pretty forever and itís a welcome change. Enjoy them!

Thomas

• Rep: -1
  • no pop no style
« Reply #786 on: March 09, 2018, 12:31:12 AM »

The bottom where they connect to the baseplate is wider and they are straight on the edge where the wheels are, if they are rounded they are the old ones

Anyone have a picture ?
I ordered some Ace 44 from SoCal on December 6th.
Do you guys think they are stage 2 ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

DBAG999

• Rep: 0
« Reply #787 on: March 16, 2018, 03:55:41 PM »
I just put in the krux downlow kingpin with some riptide pivot cups and the soft thunder bushings and Iíve gotta say it feels really nice. Stable in the center but still carvy with a really quick turn.

Was riding stock pivot/kingpin with bones mediums for years before that and having switched I now see that the shortness of the bones bottom bushing definitely fucked with the geometry. Felt like there was no real stable center with that setup and felt more like you tipped into turns. Not to mention Iíd have to change pivot cups every 6 months.

clamy

• Rep: 81
« Reply #788 on: March 17, 2018, 03:18:05 AM »
Here's some info about their updates:

https://www.acetrucks.com/catalog/

I've only had their second run of trucks (the ones where they only beefed up the wings). It'll be interesting to see how these go.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 03:20:27 AM by clamy »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 43
« Reply #789 on: March 17, 2018, 07:53:00 AM »
That's some nice info. Good to see Ace stepping up their game. I'm riding some old generation of 44s currently and I like them the best of all trucks I've tried. Gonna stick with Aces for the foreseeable future. Got two pairs to go through and they'll likely last me years, so who knows when I'll get to try the new versions.  :)

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #790 on: March 17, 2018, 10:47:54 AM »
Here's some info about their updates:

https://www.acetrucks.com/catalog/

I've only had their second run of trucks (the ones where they only beefed up the wings). It'll be interesting to see how these go.

Wow now thatís how you market your products that have been redesigned/enhanced for the customers and consumers!! Now Iím glad I bought a set to support them

They really did step it up
yes

Not Local

• Rep: 10
« Reply #791 on: March 17, 2018, 10:52:13 AM »
Conical hanger ends are such a good idea. These new Aces are phenomenal. Maybe one day a size betweens 44s and 55s? And an inverted kingpin option? But really Ace are hard to beat as is at this point.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #792 on: March 19, 2018, 12:27:40 PM »
If I get my first pair of Aces should I immediately switch to the krux inverted kingpin or go stock? I skate in the medium to tight spectrum.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Mongoloid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Oozing Machismo
« Reply #793 on: March 19, 2018, 12:47:55 PM »
If I get my first pair of Aces should I immediately switch to the krux inverted kingpin or go stock? I skate in the medium to tight spectrum.

the problem with the krux kingpin is that the nut doesn't seat tightly in the base of the truck, so to tighten you gotta remove the trucks from your deck to adjust.

Stock Ace shit isn't bad by any means, and actually quite great when broken in. If you go medium to tight Ace might be a little too loose a truck for you, but I definitely recommend giving them a fair shake.
I wouldn't even try to aquire an elephant that would be mad selfish I don't have the means to give him a comfortable life

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #794 on: March 19, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »
I actually think Aces for medium tight work quite well when broken in. Only do the krux kingpin mod if you either need clearance or want to shave off as much weight as you can.

Diocletian

« Reply #795 on: March 19, 2018, 06:36:37 PM »
Yeah that pic showing all the improvements Ace have done recently is good stuff. My Stage 2ís are near axle but I wanna get a backup of the newest ones. Anyone here tried them stock everything and notice if the new stock bushings allow them to be nice and turny right out of the gate without aftermarket stuff?

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 3
« Reply #796 on: March 19, 2018, 06:49:45 PM »
God dammit those new Aces seem phenomenal. But I'm also so satisfied with my venture 5.25 his w/indy super soft bushings. I can turn on a dime, can't wheelbite even if I try, and I'm actually digging the slightly extended wheelbase I get from them. (feels great for mannys, which is all I do anyway). I'll probably cave and buy them in a 2 months anyway.

Not Local

• Rep: 10
« Reply #797 on: March 19, 2018, 08:21:00 PM »
Yeah that pic showing all the improvements Ace have done recently is good stuff. My Stage 2ís are near axle but I wanna get a backup of the newest ones. Anyone here tried them stock everything and notice if the new stock bushings allow them to be nice and turny right out of the gate without aftermarket stuff?

Yes.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #798 on: March 19, 2018, 08:25:05 PM »
are Ace the only ones doing different duro top and bottom bushings as stock?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #799 on: March 19, 2018, 08:39:38 PM »
Call me crazy, but foft bottoms and hard tops?...it's usually the opposite...bottoms are how you get your stability, a softer bottom will also compress faster causing more wheelbite and harder tops cripple your ability to turn...I've tried it with bones, and soft tops and harder bottoms seems to be the way to go...i'll have to try it out with a new set of aces someday and leave them stock

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #800 on: March 19, 2018, 08:44:14 PM »
are Ace the only ones doing different duro top and bottom bushings as stock?

Yeah, that I know of, and they've been doing it forever too but it used to be much smaller of a duro difference, more like 94/92.

funeral_tuxedo

• Rep: 15
  • old and in the way
« Reply #801 on: March 19, 2018, 08:55:43 PM »
I know I can buy riser pads but they're kind of short. Does this effect any of you street guys who ride them kind of loose with about 54mm wheels? Also, they look beautiful.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #802 on: March 19, 2018, 09:06:32 PM »
Damn I don't need trucks but those looks great.  I wish they'd fix the type on their site and some of their gear. "Ace trucks MFG" just doesn't sound right.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #803 on: March 19, 2018, 11:42:01 PM »

Yes.

Yeah out the gate theyíre pretty turny, theyíre not as smooth as the original soft ace bushings and feel kinda like thunder bushings but they work.

I freaking love these ace classics, took some getting use to but damn they are home

They remind me so much of my 7.8 decks days with the old krux 3.5 downlows, they just work and feel so good and broken in
yes

Daniel

• On permanent vacation.
« Reply #804 on: March 20, 2018, 01:19:34 AM »
God dammit those new Aces seem phenomenal. But I'm also so satisfied with my venture 5.25 his w/indy super soft bushings. I can turn on a dime, can't wheelbite even if I try, and I'm actually digging the slightly extended wheelbase I get from them. (feels great for mannys, which is all I do anyway). I'll probably cave and buy them in a 2 months anyway.

I was on the stock stage 2 aces then decided to give that exact venture hi super soft combo out and the aces have a way sharper and deeper carve.  The ace shortened WB on 14.38 - 14.5 WB boards feel very similar to a venture hi on a 14 - 14.12. That sweet spot with aces on a 14.25 is hard to beat.

The new pivot cups don't hold up as well as the Khiro replacements. Baseplate mounting holes oval out quick too. Tried all the bushing combos including some Khiro and venom combos and the new stock ace bushings are the best so far. Going to try and take it further and replicate the odd 86a bottom and 91a top combo with other mismatched replacements. Also has anyone tried conical bottom bushings on aces??
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 01:28:48 AM by Daniel »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #805 on: March 20, 2018, 09:14:03 AM »

I was on the stock stage 2 aces then decided to give that exact venture hi super soft combo out and the aces have a way sharper and deeper carve.  The ace shortened WB on 14.38 - 14.5 WB boards feel very similar to a venture hi on a 14 - 14.12. That sweet spot with aces on a 14.25 is hard to beat.

The new pivot cups don't hold up as well as the Khiro replacements. Baseplate mounting holes oval out quick too. Tried all the bushing combos including some Khiro and venom combos and the new stock ace bushings are the best so far. Going to try and take it further and replicate the odd 86a bottom and 91a top combo with other mismatched replacements. Also has anyone tried conical bottom bushings on aces??

You Stage II mounting holes stretched out? Bummer.

I've only ridden conicals in my ACEs as everytime I go back to stock or krux they feel sluggish to me...but I'm a kook, I need squirrly feeling trucks or I can't get my balance :P

Diocletian

« Reply #806 on: March 21, 2018, 06:00:44 PM »
For conicals Iíve done Indy hard 94Aís and Bones Hards with washers on bottom and top. Indyís were the best however I still got a lot of wheelbite. Love Aceís but I think theyíre pretty close to Thunder in terms of wheelbite issues. I have to keep the stock Ace bottom and use a shorter aftermarket bushing on top like Krux or Indy or else the turn results in pretty extreme wheelbite. I realize this could most likely be due to me being a bigger dude but still...theyíre only 52mm tall after all. And I hate risers.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #807 on: March 21, 2018, 08:36:23 PM »
Would indy after markets fit well in the new aces?

Idk how much Iíll like the stock but Incase I decide i wanna swap to have a setup more of the same Duro than a mis match like Iíve always been use to would the Indyís fit perfect or ima have to tighten it up a few threads?

The 86a part isnít my total craze with the 91a for me
yes

Mongoloid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Oozing Machismo
« Reply #808 on: March 21, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »
I'm preaching it again for the umpteenth time, but Doh Doh's work amazingly well in Ace's.

If you are doing standard Ace's you are able to keep the bottom washer, but with the Low's to get proper height I remove the bottom washer.
I wouldn't even try to aquire an elephant that would be mad selfish I don't have the means to give him a comfortable life

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #809 on: March 21, 2018, 10:19:29 PM »
I'm preaching it again for the umpteenth time, but Doh Doh's work amazingly well in Ace's.

If you are doing standard Ace's you are able to keep the bottom washer, but with the Low's to get proper height I remove the bottom washer.

Itís funny that you mention doh dohs cause I have a set of the 92a mediums ahaha

Now ima have to see which I like more, the doh doh or indy after markets cause the ace stocks are ok but they kinda lack this in the middle feel I like with same durometer bushings where if itís tight itís tight if itís loose itís loose not, itís loose when you wanna turn but tight when you level out

I know thatís what would be best but Iím not use to my trucks having double action

Edit: mongoloid you were right, the doh doh fit better and feel a lot more stable than the Indy aftermarkets, time to get another set of doh dohs incase these tear up soon, cause they kinda did from the week of use I had them in my stg 11 149ís
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:38:56 PM by rob »
yes