Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738848 times)

Not Local

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #780 on: March 19, 2018, 08:21:00 PM »
Yeah that pic showing all the improvements Ace have done recently is good stuff. My Stage 2’s are near axle but I wanna get a backup of the newest ones. Anyone here tried them stock everything and notice if the new stock bushings allow them to be nice and turny right out of the gate without aftermarket stuff?

Yes.

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #781 on: March 19, 2018, 08:25:05 PM »
are Ace the only ones doing different duro top and bottom bushings as stock?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #782 on: March 19, 2018, 08:39:38 PM »
Call me crazy, but foft bottoms and hard tops?...it's usually the opposite...bottoms are how you get your stability, a softer bottom will also compress faster causing more wheelbite and harder tops cripple your ability to turn...I've tried it with bones, and soft tops and harder bottoms seems to be the way to go...i'll have to try it out with a new set of aces someday and leave them stock

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #783 on: March 19, 2018, 08:44:14 PM »
are Ace the only ones doing different duro top and bottom bushings as stock?

Yeah, that I know of, and they've been doing it forever too but it used to be much smaller of a duro difference, more like 94/92.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #784 on: March 19, 2018, 08:55:43 PM »
I know I can buy riser pads but they're kind of short. Does this effect any of you street guys who ride them kind of loose with about 54mm wheels? Also, they look beautiful.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #785 on: March 19, 2018, 09:06:32 PM »
Damn I don't need trucks but those looks great.  I wish they'd fix the type on their site and some of their gear. "Ace trucks MFG" just doesn't sound right.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #786 on: March 19, 2018, 11:42:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Yeah that pic showing all the improvements Ace have done recently is good stuff. My Stage 2’s are near axle but I wanna get a backup of the newest ones. Anyone here tried them stock everything and notice if the new stock bushings allow them to be nice and turny right out of the gate without aftermarket stuff?
[close]

Yes.

Yeah out the gate they’re pretty turny, they’re not as smooth as the original soft ace bushings and feel kinda like thunder bushings but they work.

I freaking love these ace classics, took some getting use to but damn they are home

They remind me so much of my 7.8 decks days with the old krux 3.5 downlows, they just work and feel so good and broken in
yes

Daniel

• Rep: 6
« Reply #787 on: March 20, 2018, 01:19:34 AM »
God dammit those new Aces seem phenomenal. But I'm also so satisfied with my venture 5.25 his w/indy super soft bushings. I can turn on a dime, can't wheelbite even if I try, and I'm actually digging the slightly extended wheelbase I get from them. (feels great for mannys, which is all I do anyway). I'll probably cave and buy them in a 2 months anyway.

I was on the stock stage 2 aces then decided to give that exact venture hi super soft combo out and the aces have a way sharper and deeper carve.  The ace shortened WB on 14.38 - 14.5 WB boards feel very similar to a venture hi on a 14 - 14.12. That sweet spot with aces on a 14.25 is hard to beat.

The new pivot cups don't hold up as well as the Khiro replacements. Baseplate mounting holes oval out quick too. Tried all the bushing combos including some Khiro and venom combos and the new stock ace bushings are the best so far. Going to try and take it further and replicate the odd 86a bottom and 91a top combo with other mismatched replacements. Also has anyone tried conical bottom bushings on aces??
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 01:28:48 AM by Daniel »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #788 on: March 20, 2018, 09:14:03 AM »
Expand Quote
God dammit those new Aces seem phenomenal. But I'm also so satisfied with my venture 5.25 his w/indy super soft bushings. I can turn on a dime, can't wheelbite even if I try, and I'm actually digging the slightly extended wheelbase I get from them. (feels great for mannys, which is all I do anyway). I'll probably cave and buy them in a 2 months anyway.
[close]

I was on the stock stage 2 aces then decided to give that exact venture hi super soft combo out and the aces have a way sharper and deeper carve.  The ace shortened WB on 14.38 - 14.5 WB boards feel very similar to a venture hi on a 14 - 14.12. That sweet spot with aces on a 14.25 is hard to beat.

The new pivot cups don't hold up as well as the Khiro replacements. Baseplate mounting holes oval out quick too. Tried all the bushing combos including some Khiro and venom combos and the new stock ace bushings are the best so far. Going to try and take it further and replicate the odd 86a bottom and 91a top combo with other mismatched replacements. Also has anyone tried conical bottom bushings on aces??

You Stage II mounting holes stretched out? Bummer.

I've only ridden conicals in my ACEs as everytime I go back to stock or krux they feel sluggish to me...but I'm a kook, I need squirrly feeling trucks or I can't get my balance :P

Diocletian

« Reply #789 on: March 21, 2018, 06:00:44 PM »
For conicals I’ve done Indy hard 94A’s and Bones Hards with washers on bottom and top. Indy’s were the best however I still got a lot of wheelbite. Love Ace’s but I think they’re pretty close to Thunder in terms of wheelbite issues. I have to keep the stock Ace bottom and use a shorter aftermarket bushing on top like Krux or Indy or else the turn results in pretty extreme wheelbite. I realize this could most likely be due to me being a bigger dude but still...they’re only 52mm tall after all. And I hate risers.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #790 on: March 21, 2018, 08:36:23 PM »
Would indy after markets fit well in the new aces?

Idk how much I’ll like the stock but Incase I decide i wanna swap to have a setup more of the same Duro than a mis match like I’ve always been use to would the Indy’s fit perfect or ima have to tighten it up a few threads?

The 86a part isn’t my total craze with the 91a for me
yes

Mongoloid

« Reply #791 on: March 21, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »
I'm preaching it again for the umpteenth time, but Doh Doh's work amazingly well in Ace's.

If you are doing standard Ace's you are able to keep the bottom washer, but with the Low's to get proper height I remove the bottom washer.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #792 on: March 21, 2018, 10:19:29 PM »
I'm preaching it again for the umpteenth time, but Doh Doh's work amazingly well in Ace's.

If you are doing standard Ace's you are able to keep the bottom washer, but with the Low's to get proper height I remove the bottom washer.

It’s funny that you mention doh dohs cause I have a set of the 92a mediums ahaha

Now ima have to see which I like more, the doh doh or indy after markets cause the ace stocks are ok but they kinda lack this in the middle feel I like with same durometer bushings where if it’s tight it’s tight if it’s loose it’s loose not, it’s loose when you wanna turn but tight when you level out

I know that’s what would be best but I’m not use to my trucks having double action

Edit: mongoloid you were right, the doh doh fit better and feel a lot more stable than the Indy aftermarkets, time to get another set of doh dohs incase these tear up soon, cause they kinda did from the week of use I had them in my stg 11 149’s
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:38:56 PM by rob »
yes

Daniel

• Rep: 6
« Reply #793 on: March 21, 2018, 10:45:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It’s funny that you mention doh dohs cause I have a set of the 92a mediums ahaha

Now ima have to see which I like more, the doh doh or indy after markets cause the ace stocks are ok but they kinda lack this in the middle feel I like with same durometer bushings where if it’s tight it’s tight if it’s loose it’s loose not, it’s loose when you wanna turn but tight when you level out

I know that’s what would be best but I’m not use to my trucks having double action

Edit: mongoloid you were right, the doh doh fit better and feel a lot more stable than the Indy aftermarkets, time to get another set of doh dohs incase these tear up soon, cause they kinda did from the week of use I had them in my stg 11 149’s

Are the dohdoh barrels the same size as the stock aces? How were the 92s? I've had the Indy 92 blue replacements and the bottoms were shy from stock size, wondering if the dohdohs are a go.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #794 on: March 21, 2018, 11:11:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Are the dohdoh barrels the same size as the stock aces? How were the 92s? I've had the Indy 92 blue replacements and the bottoms were shy from stock size, wondering if the dohdohs are a go.

The doh doh sadly aren’t the same size cause ace top bushing is kinda taller than standards but doh’s fit better than Indy in ace, the top/small doh doh bushing has the extruded lip that touches the hangar like the top bushings from mini logos which I think helps with stability

The 92a doh doh in my opinion feel better than the Indy, the doh doh feel more responsive and a tiny softer but way more stable. They feel like if you tried to make stock indy bushings to feel like a thunder bushing, it has the carve softness but the response and shift to center feel like a thunder bushing. Sad though cause I think they get worn easily like bones mediums in certain setups, cause my front truck doh dohs are a tiny shredded from just a week of use but I’m still gonna use them until they’re done and just have a back up for now

To wrap it up, I like them and would recommend the doh doh orange 92a mediums to anyone who likes a good medium feel, not medium soft or medium hard but a legit medium

yes

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #795 on: March 21, 2018, 11:13:17 PM »
So, can you run them with the Doh Doh barrel bottom?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #796 on: March 21, 2018, 11:29:21 PM »
So, can you run them with the Doh Doh barrel bottom?

I’d say yes pretty much perfect cause the barrel bottom are the same size and mine fit perfect, just as I mentioned the ace tops are taller than the typical top bushing from any other brand so your gonna have to tighten only about an extra thread compare to stock ace

With the Indy after market though I had to go like 2/2.5 threads extra compared to stock
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #797 on: March 22, 2018, 03:34:27 AM »
Dunno if the new Ace bushings differ from the old ones but at least with the old ones you gotta break them in. I bought two sets of used Aces here a while back and they didn’t come with the stock bushings so I bought some replacements. The other set I broke in after trying to fuck with all sorts of different bushing set ups and ended up absolutely loving them. Then at some point I set up the other set exactly the same and went to skate with those and I absolutely fucking hated it. Had to compare them side by side and the difference was astonishing. The broken in set felt amazing but the new set felt like fucking Ventures with rock hard bushings compared to the broken in set. I powered through and broke the other set in also and now they’re both lovely.

Just saying. Break those fuckers in and they’ll be completely different (and much better, IMO at least).

Marsellus Wallace

• Rep: 2
« Reply #798 on: March 22, 2018, 04:07:27 AM »
quick question: are those Krux (aftermarket?) bushings everyone is talking about simply just the stock bushings from the krux trucks or do they differ?

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #799 on: March 22, 2018, 05:14:53 PM »
quick question: are those Krux (aftermarket?) bushings everyone is talking about simply just the stock bushings from the krux trucks or do they differ?

I'm pretty sure they are the same ones that come with the trucks.

But seriously, the new Ace bushings are heavenly. I have a set of Bones, Krux, and Doh Doh's and I have no desire to try them in my Ace's.

Marsellus Wallace

• Rep: 2
« Reply #800 on: March 23, 2018, 09:07:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But seriously, the new Ace bushings are heavenly. I have a set of Bones, Krux, and Doh Doh's and I have no desire to try them in my Ace's.

I tried Krux bushings in my Aces yesterday and they felt terribly hard - heard that Ace stock bushings are even harder and need long to break in
Right now I got yellow Bones mediums in my Aces and they feel great - but they are kinda broken now and I´d like to try some conical bushings (for more stability?) or anything that´s better for the Krux´s geometry.
Any recommendations?

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #801 on: March 23, 2018, 09:15:00 AM »
Man, I found the Krux bushings to be too soft for me.  I put the stock ones back in after that and just let them break in.  It took a bit longer than Indy or Thunder, but they're pretty good when broken in.  The Krux were too squirelly for me.

Not Local

« Reply #802 on: March 23, 2018, 09:15:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I tried Krux bushings in my Aces yesterday and they felt terribly hard - heard that Ace stock bushings are even harder and need long to break in
Right now I got yellow Bones mediums in my Aces and they feel great - but they are kinda broken now and I´d like to try some conical bushings (for more stability?) or anything that´s better for the Krux´s geometry.
Any recommendations?

New Ace bushings are softer. Good from the get go and get better.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #803 on: March 23, 2018, 09:18:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Any recommendations?

I found Krux bushings to be very soft, much softer than Bones mediums (which don't fit well in Aces anyway) or the Ace stock ones. Haven't tried all combos, but I can't imagine what bushings would work for you if you think Krux are too hard for Aces.  ???

SJ

« Reply #804 on: March 23, 2018, 09:26:07 AM »
Has anybody tried using their old bottom stock ACE bushings paired with the new tops??

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #805 on: March 23, 2018, 01:40:55 PM »
Has anybody tried using their old bottom stock ACE bushings paired with the new tops??
I'm all for gear madness, I have it to a degree, but this is too much now.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #806 on: March 23, 2018, 10:32:23 PM »
I just started riding a set of 55 stage 3’s. I dig them, but I’ve had to loosen the kingpins till the nylon is almost off the bolt to get them loose enough. Don’t want to mess with the bushings, I’m hoping they get softer when they break in. Should clarify that I like my trucks to be loose enough to pinch on grinds.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #807 on: March 23, 2018, 11:57:05 PM »
Haha the madness in me has gone deeper since I got the new ace 44 and notice how good they are, I wanna try and maybe snag a set of 33 and 03 but is it worth it...

When I was falling for my indy 149 I switched down to the 139 and liked them even more then tried these aces and damn they’re amazing with this 52mm height

But the question stands, would the 33 and/or 03 work better for me since I ride 8-8.12 decks and like a quicker pop and the experience in going down with the Indy’s was better for me...

Damn the madness! But man these new aces are the bomb! Seriously learned popped bigspins and got my front shuvs back and started learning big flips
yes

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #808 on: March 24, 2018, 05:44:05 AM »
Did they lower the newer aces or have they always been 52mm? I think some sites used to claim 53.5mm height, no?

Mongoloid

« Reply #809 on: March 24, 2018, 06:31:25 AM »
Haha the madness in me has gone deeper since I got the new ace 44 and notice how good they are, I wanna try and maybe snag a set of 33 and 03 but is it worth it...

When I was falling for my indy 149 I switched down to the 139 and liked them even more then tried these aces and damn they’re amazing with this 52mm height

But the question stands, would the 33 and/or 03 work better for me since I ride 8-8.12 decks and like a quicker pop and the experience in going down with the Indy’s was better for me...

Damn the madness! But man these new aces are the bomb! Seriously learned popped bigspins and got my front shuvs back and started learning big flips

Tbh I feel very little difference between the lows and their standard height offering.

I mostly skate the lows personally.