Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 116635 times)

Daniel

• Rep: 7
  • On permanent vacation.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #810 on: March 21, 2018, 10:45:06 PM »
I'm preaching it again for the umpteenth time, but Doh Doh's work amazingly well in Ace's.

If you are doing standard Ace's you are able to keep the bottom washer, but with the Low's to get proper height I remove the bottom washer.

Itís funny that you mention doh dohs cause I have a set of the 92a mediums ahaha

Now ima have to see which I like more, the doh doh or indy after markets cause the ace stocks are ok but they kinda lack this in the middle feel I like with same durometer bushings where if itís tight itís tight if itís loose itís loose not, itís loose when you wanna turn but tight when you level out

I know thatís what would be best but Iím not use to my trucks having double action

Edit: mongoloid you were right, the doh doh fit better and feel a lot more stable than the Indy aftermarkets, time to get another set of doh dohs incase these tear up soon, cause they kinda did from the week of use I had them in my stg 11 149ís

Are the dohdoh barrels the same size as the stock aces? How were the 92s? I've had the Indy 92 blue replacements and the bottoms were shy from stock size, wondering if the dohdohs are a go.

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #811 on: March 21, 2018, 11:11:38 PM »
I'm preaching it again for the umpteenth time, but Doh Doh's work amazingly well in Ace's.

If you are doing standard Ace's you are able to keep the bottom washer, but with the Low's to get proper height I remove the bottom washer.

Itís funny that you mention doh dohs cause I have a set of the 92a mediums ahaha

Now ima have to see which I like more, the doh doh or indy after markets cause the ace stocks are ok but they kinda lack this in the middle feel I like with same durometer bushings where if itís tight itís tight if itís loose itís loose not, itís loose when you wanna turn but tight when you level out

I know thatís what would be best but Iím not use to my trucks having double action

Edit: mongoloid you were right, the doh doh fit better and feel a lot more stable than the Indy aftermarkets, time to get another set of doh dohs incase these tear up soon, cause they kinda did from the week of use I had them in my stg 11 149ís

Are the dohdoh barrels the same size as the stock aces? How were the 92s? I've had the Indy 92 blue replacements and the bottoms were shy from stock size, wondering if the dohdohs are a go.

The doh doh sadly arenít the same size cause ace top bushing is kinda taller than standards but dohís fit better than Indy in ace, the top/small doh doh bushing has the extruded lip that touches the hangar like the top bushings from mini logos which I think helps with stability

The 92a doh doh in my opinion feel better than the Indy, the doh doh feel more responsive and a tiny softer but way more stable. They feel like if you tried to make stock indy bushings to feel like a thunder bushing, it has the carve softness but the response and shift to center feel like a thunder bushing. Sad though cause I think they get worn easily like bones mediums in certain setups, cause my front truck doh dohs are a tiny shredded from just a week of use but Iím still gonna use them until theyíre done and just have a back up for now

To wrap it up, I like them and would recommend the doh doh orange 92a mediums to anyone who likes a good medium feel, not medium soft or medium hard but a legit medium

yes

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #812 on: March 21, 2018, 11:13:17 PM »
So, can you run them with the Doh Doh barrel bottom?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #813 on: March 21, 2018, 11:29:21 PM »
So, can you run them with the Doh Doh barrel bottom?

Iíd say yes pretty much perfect cause the barrel bottom are the same size and mine fit perfect, just as I mentioned the ace tops are taller than the typical top bushing from any other brand so your gonna have to tighten only about an extra thread compare to stock ace

With the Indy after market though I had to go like 2/2.5 threads extra compared to stock
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #814 on: March 22, 2018, 03:34:27 AM »
Dunno if the new Ace bushings differ from the old ones but at least with the old ones you gotta break them in. I bought two sets of used Aces here a while back and they didnít come with the stock bushings so I bought some replacements. The other set I broke in after trying to fuck with all sorts of different bushing set ups and ended up absolutely loving them. Then at some point I set up the other set exactly the same and went to skate with those and I absolutely fucking hated it. Had to compare them side by side and the difference was astonishing. The broken in set felt amazing but the new set felt like fucking Ventures with rock hard bushings compared to the broken in set. I powered through and broke the other set in also and now theyíre both lovely.

Just saying. Break those fuckers in and theyíll be completely different (and much better, IMO at least).

Marsellus Wallace

• Rep: 1
« Reply #815 on: March 22, 2018, 04:07:27 AM »
quick question: are those Krux (aftermarket?) bushings everyone is talking about simply just the stock bushings from the krux trucks or do they differ?

Beeker

« Reply #816 on: March 22, 2018, 05:14:53 PM »
quick question: are those Krux (aftermarket?) bushings everyone is talking about simply just the stock bushings from the krux trucks or do they differ?

I'm pretty sure they are the same ones that come with the trucks.

But seriously, the new Ace bushings are heavenly. I have a set of Bones, Krux, and Doh Doh's and I have no desire to try them in my Ace's.

Marsellus Wallace

« Reply #817 on: March 23, 2018, 09:07:45 AM »

But seriously, the new Ace bushings are heavenly. I have a set of Bones, Krux, and Doh Doh's and I have no desire to try them in my Ace's.

I tried Krux bushings in my Aces yesterday and they felt terribly hard - heard that Ace stock bushings are even harder and need long to break in
Right now I got yellow Bones mediums in my Aces and they feel great - but they are kinda broken now and Iīd like to try some conical bushings (for more stability?) or anything thatīs better for the Kruxīs geometry.
Any recommendations?

jamersonbass

• Rep: 11
« Reply #818 on: March 23, 2018, 09:15:00 AM »
Man, I found the Krux bushings to be too soft for me.  I put the stock ones back in after that and just let them break in.  It took a bit longer than Indy or Thunder, but they're pretty good when broken in.  The Krux were too squirelly for me.

Not Local

• Rep: 10
« Reply #819 on: March 23, 2018, 09:15:45 AM »

I tried Krux bushings in my Aces yesterday and they felt terribly hard - heard that Ace stock bushings are even harder and need long to break in
Right now I got yellow Bones mediums in my Aces and they feel great - but they are kinda broken now and Iīd like to try some conical bushings (for more stability?) or anything thatīs better for the Kruxīs geometry.
Any recommendations?

New Ace bushings are softer. Good from the get go and get better.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #820 on: March 23, 2018, 09:18:58 AM »

Any recommendations?

I found Krux bushings to be very soft, much softer than Bones mediums (which don't fit well in Aces anyway) or the Ace stock ones. Haven't tried all combos, but I can't imagine what bushings would work for you if you think Krux are too hard for Aces.  ???

SJ

« Reply #821 on: March 23, 2018, 09:26:07 AM »
Has anybody tried using their old bottom stock ACE bushings paired with the new tops??

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -39
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #822 on: March 23, 2018, 01:40:55 PM »
Has anybody tried using their old bottom stock ACE bushings paired with the new tops??
I'm all for gear madness, I have it to a degree, but this is too much now.
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 3
« Reply #823 on: March 23, 2018, 10:32:23 PM »
I just started riding a set of 55 stage 3ís. I dig them, but Iíve had to loosen the kingpins till the nylon is almost off the bolt to get them loose enough. Donít want to mess with the bushings, Iím hoping they get softer when they break in. Should clarify that I like my trucks to be loose enough to pinch on grinds.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #824 on: March 23, 2018, 11:57:05 PM »
Haha the madness in me has gone deeper since I got the new ace 44 and notice how good they are, I wanna try and maybe snag a set of 33 and 03 but is it worth it...

When I was falling for my indy 149 I switched down to the 139 and liked them even more then tried these aces and damn theyíre amazing with this 52mm height

But the question stands, would the 33 and/or 03 work better for me since I ride 8-8.12 decks and like a quicker pop and the experience in going down with the Indyís was better for me...

Damn the madness! But man these new aces are the bomb! Seriously learned popped bigspins and got my front shuvs back and started learning big flips
yes

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #825 on: March 24, 2018, 05:44:05 AM »
Did they lower the newer aces or have they always been 52mm? I think some sites used to claim 53.5mm height, no?

Mongoloid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
  • Oozing Machismo
« Reply #826 on: March 24, 2018, 06:31:25 AM »
Haha the madness in me has gone deeper since I got the new ace 44 and notice how good they are, I wanna try and maybe snag a set of 33 and 03 but is it worth it...

When I was falling for my indy 149 I switched down to the 139 and liked them even more then tried these aces and damn theyíre amazing with this 52mm height

But the question stands, would the 33 and/or 03 work better for me since I ride 8-8.12 decks and like a quicker pop and the experience in going down with the Indyís was better for me...

Damn the madness! But man these new aces are the bomb! Seriously learned popped bigspins and got my front shuvs back and started learning big flips

Tbh I feel very little difference between the lows and their standard height offering.

I mostly skate the lows personally.
I wouldn't even try to aquire an elephant that would be mad selfish I don't have the means to give him a comfortable life

OldManSkate

• Rep: -2
« Reply #827 on: March 24, 2018, 08:06:00 AM »
Anybody successfully warranty their trucks without a receipt? My 44s have a loose kingpin and I donít have the receipt anymore.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #828 on: March 24, 2018, 08:18:52 AM »
Anybody successfully warranty their trucks without a receipt? My 44s have a loose kingpin and I donít have the receipt anymore.

Hammer it out, put some epoxy in there (JB Weld for example) and hammer it back in. Use stock bushings or bushings that are the same size as the stock and it won't get loose ever again. I doubt they'd replace them even if you had a receipt.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #829 on: March 24, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »
Did they lower the newer aces or have they always been 52mm? I think some sites used to claim 53.5mm height, no?

Iím sure they lowered them cause I had the previous stage and they felt so tippy like Indyís so I sold them but this new classic stage ace 52mm is perfect for mid tall but not low

Tbh I feel very little difference between the lows and their standard height offering.

I mostly skate the lows personally.

Ahaha yeah just to quell some of the madness Iím gonna plug my 139 indy low and see how they work for me and if things are great I guess Iím gonna try those ace 03, if the low is too low Iím going in on those 33, I kinda like how the new 33 classics look too with the wings

Ahhhh man getting that perfect setup such a hassle when your getting old and canít keep up with the kids who skate anything
yes

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #830 on: March 24, 2018, 02:48:55 PM »

I don't think low aces make sense. They're good because of how they turn and having a low version of that compromises its biggest advantage. I find in general aces work well with a longer wheelbase board with a slightly shorter nose and tail. My friend also learnt bigflips on aces haha.

sweet pee

• Rep: 115
« Reply #831 on: March 24, 2018, 03:06:46 PM »
I had a set of the Ace Low 03's and hated them because of the extreme wheelbite. I was running spitfire classic 52s and the stock bushings, and even switched to some harder bushings (bones hards and some indy barrels) and that didn't help at all.

I usually don't have wheelbite issues with any other lower profile truck (thunders). However the Ace Lows were really hard to dial in and just never felt right.

On the flip side, I just got a pair of the new Ace Classic 33's with the wider Y shaped hangar, and they turn like a dream with no wheelbite.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 03:16:06 PM by sweet pee »

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #832 on: March 26, 2018, 05:35:51 PM »
I'm all for gear madness, I have it to a degree, but this is too much now.

When you start putting together trucks that you won't even be able to recreate in a year or so it's too far.

I finally settled into a "raw cast only, harder/softer bushings" mindset.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #833 on: March 26, 2018, 08:54:13 PM »
I had a set of the Ace Low 03's and hated them because of the extreme wheelbite. I was running spitfire classic 52s and the stock bushings, and even switched to some harder bushings (bones hards and some indy barrels) and that didn't help at all.

I usually don't have wheelbite issues with any other lower profile truck (thunders). However the Ace Lows were really hard to dial in and just never felt right.

On the flip side, I just got a pair of the new Ace Classic 33's with the wider Y shaped hangar, and they turn like a dream with no wheelbite.

Mind posting a pic? I really wanna see what they look like now cause Iím considering getting a set cause theyíre gonna be lighter than my 44 but I still love them
yes

sweet pee

« Reply #834 on: March 27, 2018, 03:45:44 PM »

Mind posting a pic? I really wanna see what they look like now cause Iím considering getting a set cause theyíre gonna be lighter than my 44 but I still love them

Yeah, the new Ace Classic 33's hangars are beefier than the old ones. The baseplates are the same though.

Daniel

• Rep: 7
  • On permanent vacation.
« Reply #835 on: March 27, 2018, 03:54:50 PM »

Yeah, the new Ace Classic 33's hangars are beefier than the old ones. The baseplates are the same though.

That's a tempting photo. You planning on keeping the bushings/pivot cups stock?

sweet pee

« Reply #836 on: March 27, 2018, 04:25:56 PM »
The stock Ace pivot cups are still trash, so I swapped them out with some Khiro softs.

However, the new Ace bushings are a vast improvement over the old ones. The urethane seems of a higher quality with better rebound.

These already feel broken in and comfortable. Kinda like they skipped the awkward new truck phase.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #837 on: March 27, 2018, 05:44:46 PM »

Nice! Thanks for the post! Last favor, could you compare the hangar/axle length to another 8Ē truck you have and tell me if the 33 are exactly an 8 or 7.8?

Cause I just got my 03 and turns out even though branded 03/33 as an 8Ē these are actually 7.8 and Iím wondering are the 33 also 7.8
yes

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #838 on: March 27, 2018, 09:34:27 PM »

Nice! Thanks for the post! Last favor, could you compare the hangar/axle length to another 8Ē truck you have and tell me if the 33 are exactly an 8 or 7.8?

Cause I just got my 03 and turns out even though branded 03/33 as an 8Ē these are actually 7.8 and Iím wondering are the 33 also 7.8
Lock ins are the worst. Because they are asymmetrical they arenít balanced properly. More wheel material outside of the bearing on one side than the other, makes them wear your inner bearings faster and also makes them slightly pull inwards, sort of like driving a car without balanced tires. Also slows you down. Youíll definitely notice what I mean if you think about it and pay attention.

sweet pee

« Reply #839 on: March 28, 2018, 08:43:16 AM »
This is my first set of Lock-Ins, so I will def keep that in consideration. I know the outer edge of the wheel sticks out a bit. However the bearing seats have the same depth and appear centered, so it may not be much of an issue. I also don't mind riding them with the flat side out if they start coning later on. If my bearings explode, I'll report back...

Oh, and I put my trucks up against a pair of Thunder 147's and the Aces look a little shorter, which makes me think they are under 8". (Not by much though)