Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738936 times)

Beeker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #870 on: April 19, 2018, 06:47:37 AM »
For everyone with pivot cup issues, if you're using the stock bushings, add a drop of speed cream, bike chain lube or armorall to the pivot cup and then put the hanger back on.  A lot of Ace pivot cups are blowing out before you can break them in.  This will help them break in quickly before they crack and then you should be good.

If you're using different bushings/washers, it changes the pivot angle and they're going to blow out no matter what.  you might even blow out the actual baseplate which I've seen with people using bones

When I try the liquid lube it works, but then goes back to hella squeaky in a few weeks. I tried auto grease and it's still working great a couple months later. I just wiped a tiny but on with a q-tip and cleaned up any squeeze out.

IHOP

« Reply #871 on: April 20, 2018, 10:28:44 AM »
Expand Quote
yo 30 pages is a lot, I skate thunders now and they just dont feel high enough, wheel bite, breaking, etc.  I mostly skate street and skate my trucks a little on the tighter side.  I like the quick turning of thunders wile still having control would aces compare? or are they pretty loosey goosey. 

I have never been happy with a truck and I feel if i keep trying to find the perfect truck my madness will go through the roof instead of just learning to be fine with indy or thunder.
[close]

Depending on which Thunders you skate: the 149s are 52.3mm (forged plates) +1mm for cast plates.

ACE's, if their new numbers are to be trusted are 52mm, w/cast plates....

Comparing these two trucks is the old apples and oranges scenario, they provide a completely different feel. It's discussed, at length, in these 30 plus pages:

ACE are more like Theeve/Indy than they are like Thunder/Venture. There really doesn't seem to be a perfect middle ground between the carve vs. lean camp (Perhaps that's what we're all after :P), but for me, Theeve are the closest to the best of both worlds I can find.

Thanks, just wanted to point out ventures are much more similar to indys than thunders, and wouldnt really put them next to eachother besides being dlx.

I have a friend who got theeves awhile ago and said to me "I know they look stupid, but this is exactly how I want a truck to feel and i finally have it"

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #872 on: April 22, 2018, 01:33:16 PM »
Well, after finally getting out for the first time in 6 months (fucked up the outside side of my foot and winter here lasted almost 6 months), I don't think Ace's are for me.  I put the new Ace bushings in them, and while they turn great and feel awesome, at 6'3" and being out of shape, they don't feel stable enough for me while setting up for/landing tricks.  I know my balance is not on point yet, but I'm going back to Indy and the thought of breaking in new trucks is maddening to me, but I think it needs to happen.  If I ever set up a cruiser, Ace's will be my first choice.  I'm just trying to feel comfortable on board again as fast as possible.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #873 on: April 22, 2018, 04:07:34 PM »
Well, after finally getting out for the first time in 6 months (fucked up the outside side of my foot and winter here lasted almost 6 months), I don't think Ace's are for me.  I put the new Ace bushings in them, and while they turn great and feel awesome, at 6'3" and being out of shape, they don't feel stable enough for me while setting up for/landing tricks.  I know my balance is not on point yet, but I'm going back to Indy and the thought of breaking in new trucks is maddening to me, but I think it needs to happen.  If I ever set up a cruiser, Ace's will be my first choice.  I'm just trying to feel comfortable on board again as fast as possible.

ACE aren't for everyone; I can skate Indy, Thunder, Venture, Theeve, Krux just fine, they all do the job, some are better in certain areas than others, but with ACE, you really have to feel it with them for them to work, and either you do or you don't.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #874 on: April 23, 2018, 12:25:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ACE aren't for everyone; I can skate Indy, Thunder, Venture, Theeve, Krux just fine, they all do the job, some are better in certain areas than others, but with ACE, you really have to feel it with them for them to work, and either you do or you don't.

Haha same here, I agree with that

They have this feel you gotta get use to for flip tricks and response
yes

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #875 on: April 23, 2018, 03:10:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
yo 30 pages is a lot, I skate thunders now and they just dont feel high enough, wheel bite, breaking, etc.  I mostly skate street and skate my trucks a little on the tighter side.  I like the quick turning of thunders wile still having control would aces compare? or are they pretty loosey goosey. 

I have never been happy with a truck and I feel if i keep trying to find the perfect truck my madness will go through the roof instead of just learning to be fine with indy or thunder.
[close]

Depending on which Thunders you skate: the 149s are 52.3mm (forged plates) +1mm for cast plates.

ACE's, if their new numbers are to be trusted are 52mm, w/cast plates....

Comparing these two trucks is the old apples and oranges scenario, they provide a completely different feel. It's discussed, at length, in these 30 plus pages:

ACE are more like Theeve/Indy than they are like Thunder/Venture. There really doesn't seem to be a perfect middle ground between the carve vs. lean camp (Perhaps that's what we're all after :P), but for me, Theeve are the closest to the best of both worlds I can find.
[close]

Thanks, just wanted to point out ventures are much more similar to indys than thunders, and wouldnt really put them next to eachother besides being dlx.

I have a friend who got theeves awhile ago and said to me "I know they look stupid, but this is exactly how I want a truck to feel and i finally have it"

Just worth mentioning. Venture Highs and Lows are completely different beasts.

Venture Highs are super turny if a bit too, uh, high. I add this because I'm not really sure where Ventures fit in on the turnability scale. I just know people tell me that Indys turn better than my Ventures and then when I trade my Venture HIGHS for Indys I'm like, "What the fuck?"

Daniel

• Rep: 6
« Reply #876 on: April 25, 2018, 02:00:46 PM »
With the improved bushings, the turn is extremely stable but responsive and quick when you need them to be. I've just bought and broken in a new set of regular 144s with replacement red 88a cylinder.
So far the aces have them beat but I'll ride these out for now...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #877 on: April 27, 2018, 04:23:34 PM »
Just threw in the revised bushings in my ACEs (thanks jamersonbass!) and took them out, my findings:

If you use a Krux pin setup, the top bushing is still VERY tall making it really hard to get the pin in the nut, let alone into the nylon so I have to ride tighter than usual until they break in.

They felt good (but again, tighter than I would like) and as these have only been ridden a few times they still have some breakin time to be done so I can see them feeling really good later on.

If I picked these up on new trucks I'd be pretty pleased and knowing that if I wasn't running Krux pins I'd be able to loosen them just a bit and get some more play. I might just sand down the top washer.

Eventually, I just want to get some new plates as these mag plates are hanging on for dear life with washers and epoxy keeping my mounting holes small enough!

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #878 on: April 30, 2018, 12:36:08 PM »
Do the new Ace trucks come standard with the 38 special nuts?  Just ordered a pair from Tactics that came with them. If it's a case of them sending me old back stock of the previous model, I'll be sending them back for a refund.

Diocletian

« Reply #879 on: April 30, 2018, 12:43:28 PM »
Do the new Ace trucks come standard with the 38 special nuts?  Just ordered a pair from Tactics that came with them. If it's a case of them sending me old back stock of the previous model, I'll be sending them back for a refund.

Nope. They sent you the old designs. New ones come with regular axle nuts, and brighter white top and bottom bushings. The hanger is also a wider “V” than the previous version. Send them back and get yourself the newer designs from a local shop or SoCal.

Diocletian

« Reply #880 on: May 02, 2018, 10:43:51 PM »
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up, Ace still hasn’t fixed their QC issues. I got a pair of 44’s from a local shop, the one had a hanger wider than the other one by a substantial amount. Brought them back and swapped them out for a set that lined up fine. I checked out some other sets and one set of 55’s had one hanger that was wider, too. It wasn’t as bad as the 44’s but you could still see it. This all happened with the newest designs, too. And yes, I lined them up carefully.

Worst thing I’ve seen with Indy or Thunder was some hanger aluminum bleeding onto the axle making me have to scrape it off with a knife so my bearings would be able to spin. Never experienced improper unmatching hanger widths though.

Just saying, check your Ace trucks still to see if you got a product worth your hard earned money, or a flop set. Bullshit how this still is happening.

NootNoot

« Reply #881 on: May 03, 2018, 10:08:09 AM »
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up, Ace still hasn’t fixed their QC issues. I got a pair of 44’s from a local shop, the one had a hanger wider than the other one by a substantial amount. Brought them back and swapped them out for a set that lined up fine. I checked out some other sets and one set of 55’s had one hanger that was wider, too. It wasn’t as bad as the 44’s but you could still see it. This all happened with the newest designs, too. And yes, I lined them up carefully.

Worst thing I’ve seen with Indy or Thunder was some hanger aluminum bleeding onto the axle making me have to scrape it off with a knife so my bearings would be able to spin. Never experienced improper unmatching hanger widths though.

Just saying, check your Ace trucks still to see if you got a product worth your hard earned money, or a flop set. Bullshit how this still is happening.
I tried to order a set of the new classics to see the differences just two weeks ago, when they came and I mounted them something was off and I couldn’t figure it out, the front truck was not straight and I thought my brand new deck was warped and I got all bummed, switched to my old deck and the same problem, turns out the mounting holes on the baseplate weren’t drilled properly so the truck sat slightly off centre. I could have used my old baseplates I guess but I just returned them. I have however been rocking a set of ace 44 problem free for a year now and I genuinely enjoy them so I can’t say it’s been all bad.

Diocletian

« Reply #882 on: May 03, 2018, 10:50:39 AM »
Yeah, I love Ace trucks and can’t ride anything else, but when you claim to have made improvements, start kicking it up a notch and hyping up your trucks like crazy through marketing and social media, then still have sets with defective hangers and mounting holes, that’s incompetence.

NootNoot

« Reply #883 on: May 03, 2018, 11:03:06 AM »
Yeah forsure. Also the 38 special nuts they introduced them and were vocal about it on social media and then a few months later quietly got rid of them. A bunch of people say they came lose while riding so why are they still selling trucks with them to unsuspecting people? Most 44s I see in shops have them. How did someone engineer those and not foresee the problems of them stripping immediately or coming off because they have no nylock? They have quality control issues but are focusing on gimmicky axle nuts? Its weird if they could just fix that quality control and possibly offer lighter versions of their trucks for people who prioritize that, ace could really take over a significant market share in the truck game.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 11:07:03 AM by NootNoot »

Diocletian

« Reply #884 on: May 03, 2018, 02:12:12 PM »
Yeah they hyped the crap out of those .38 specials. I had some sets with them and noticed I’d have to crank the nut all the way until my wheel couldn’t spin, then loosen it back to normal in order for them to stay on properly. If I just tightened them like normal without going all the way, they’d barely stay on the axle and would have definitely fallen off quickly.

They weren’t the original ones that came up with that idea for the .38 axle nuts. Some dude that passed away, but I forgot his name and they never gave credit to him. You aren’t wrong though, they put regular axle nuts on the axles with these newer ones without admitting the 38’s were a bad idea. They also got rid of the curved hanger which seemed like an innovative idea but turned out to just cause a lot of bending problems.

I honestly don’t care about hollow or titanium axles or kingpins. The truck’s geometry is perfect, they just need to stop blowing it with their QC. That’s the real reason why people hate on Ace and stick with the Indy cult. And I understand, because Indy is the most reliable skateboard truck in the entire world. They had their past of faulty runs and no company is perfect, but Stage 11’s, although a slow turning geometry, still dominates in terms of QC and reliability.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #885 on: May 04, 2018, 01:11:32 AM »
I switched from Indy to Ace because I had two axle slip defect on my Indy.
I honestly don't see any big difference in term of Quality between Indy and Ace...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #886 on: May 04, 2018, 02:21:32 AM »
I’ve said it in this thread before but I’m gonna say it again, I’ve been running 38 specials on my current set of 144s and have never had them vibrate of or strip out, I was bummed when they quietly took them off the market but stocked up on sets.

Not Local

« Reply #887 on: May 04, 2018, 07:39:15 AM »
I've had four sets of Ace now and haven't had  single issue with QC. Bummer for those of you who did.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #888 on: May 04, 2018, 07:55:12 AM »
I think the problem is that there are a lot of versions floating around out there.

The first run of the V2 (including the 38 specials) had issues.  I personally had to buy 4 sets of 55's just to get two trucks that had the same hanger width and centered axles.

I do think they changed the tooling in the factory for the V2.5 AKA Classics).  I just bought two new pairs of 55's and they're both flawless

If you're ordering some, get them from Skatewarehouse, Socal Skateshop or Ace direct to ensure you're getting the current version. there's a lot of old stock floating around out there

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #889 on: May 04, 2018, 08:11:54 AM »
I'm going to guess that quality control and dealing with the factories is not easy and trucks are the most complicated out of any skate hardware so I can see how Indy might be more consistent in their quality. Ace will get it dialled in soon. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #890 on: May 04, 2018, 10:02:02 AM »
I'd imagine now with the switch from Diamond (was that ever confirmed?) they've gone with new partners; clearly they're working on getting their shit straight.

But as BMC mentioned, there is lots of stock out there so be selective. If ordering from SoCal or SW, I'd specify you want the NEW classics as the warehouse dudes might grab you old stock (especially if you order anything other than 44s). Purple coping eaters, Rally Green or Matte Black you can be certain are new stock no matter who you order from but unless I was ordering other shit, I'd buy straight from ACE and not the middle man.

I'm back in (the) black now and want to pick up a new complete and trying to decide on new ACEs (my mag plates are shot but I'm still rocking newish stage II hangers so I'd feel bad but no plates) or taking one for the team and trying the new tensors....;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 10:48:33 AM by Xen »

Diocletian

« Reply #891 on: May 04, 2018, 08:45:39 PM »
I skated the new designs for the first time today, all day long. 44’s. The new stock bushings are a serious improvement. Even the pivot cups I had ZERO squeak whatsoever and I’m surprised because every truck company, including Ace’s older trucks always squeak like crazy with the crap plastic stock cups they put in there. I didn’t even need to put my Riptide’s in these new Ace’s. Literally I just turned the kingpin looser so the nut was flush and they feel exactly like Krux aftermarkets. I think they noticed how many praised the Krux in them, because they made this new batch with pearly white bushings just like Krux and the durometer is just about the same.

I’m a big dude at around 210lbs and actually was getting some pretty serious wheelbite on these new Ace’s when I kept the rear truck with the nut flush. I had to tighten that one a little more than the front so I wasn’t nearly coming to a halt on my deeper turns. It doesn’t matter though, either way they’re perfect when ran stock, whether you’re light or on the heavy side. Finally a truck company offering quality stock bushings and pivot cups right off the bat.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #892 on: May 04, 2018, 10:41:55 PM »
ACE's own promo shots have blown out cups  ;D ;D ;D

Also, on their site:

"T-shirt & Trucks ($69.99/up) Free Shipping on U.S. Orders"

Add one set of (raw) trucks and one shirt to the cart and guess what the total is?

$68.99 :P - I'm a fan but that's pretty fucking weak...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:52:57 PM by Xen »

goatgruff13

• Rep: 0
« Reply #893 on: May 05, 2018, 12:36:05 AM »

I already posted this in the setup thread, but I seen this Ace thread and figured I'd post here. I haven't owned a board in like 15 years or so. But a week or two ago the weather was so nice I randomly decided to build myself a cruiser. It feels good to be back skating! Anyways this is my new setup:

RIPNDIP 9.0 Deck - I really dig the shape and it has a 15.75" wheelbase which is nice for my bigass.
Mob Grip Space Out
Ace 55 "Purple Coping Eaters" - Bones Hardcore Bushings Medium Bottoms/Hard Tops, Riptide 96a Pivot Cups
Kryptonics Star Trac 65mm 86a Wheels
Black Panther Ceramic Bearings
1/2" Psycho Shock Risers
Loaded Button Head Allen Hardware

I always rode indys back in my day but one of my buddies told me about Ace and then I read a bunch online and figured I'd give em a shot. I'm really liking them! I'm old and dad bod fat now days (225lbs) so I ended up swapping the bushings because I was just mashing the stock bushings. I thought at first the slop was maybe because I was just so out of practice, but after switching the bushings and messing with the setup and tightness over a week or so it's made a night and day difference for me. Bones medium bottoms and hard tops with the stock Ace washers on top and bottom, and the kingpin nut tightened to where the second thread is just visible. I'm having a blast skating again, and this setup rides and carves so smooth! I'm going to swap out the risers with smaller 1/4" risers and see how that works out with wheelbite tomorrow. The 1/2" risers make the carve nice and I get zero wheelbite, but it's such a pain to ollie lol. But I'm pretty sold on the Aces at this point! I do not regret the purchase whatsoever.

micky682

« Reply #894 on: May 05, 2018, 07:52:11 AM »

Also, on their site:

"T-shirt & Trucks ($69.99/up) Free Shipping on U.S. Orders"

Add one set of (raw) trucks and one shirt to the cart and guess what the total is?

$68.99 :P - I'm a fan but that's pretty fucking weak...
I'm pretty sure that picture is from an instagram post of Julien Stranger's trucks.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #895 on: May 05, 2018, 08:13:13 AM »

That's what happens when you skate.  Everyone blows out pivot cups if you're doing it right.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #896 on: May 05, 2018, 11:20:14 AM »
they sponsor vinnie banh so y'know they good

Nate

• Rep: 41
« Reply #897 on: May 05, 2018, 12:20:17 PM »
I found a pair of indy 149 hangers, would they work on an ace baseplate?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #898 on: May 05, 2018, 04:22:23 PM »

Yeah but they also have bones bushings in that pair that he cropped out, so don’t knock their marketing dept too hard man

ballintoohard

« Reply #899 on: May 08, 2018, 11:44:51 AM »
If anyone has some decent condition 44's I'd buy a used set to try.