Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 115541 times)

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #900 on: May 03, 2018, 10:50:39 AM »
Yeah, I love Ace trucks and canít ride anything else, but when you claim to have made improvements, start kicking it up a notch and hyping up your trucks like crazy through marketing and social media, then still have sets with defective hangers and mounting holes, thatís incompetence.

NootNoot

« Reply #901 on: May 03, 2018, 11:03:06 AM »
Yeah forsure. Also the 38 special nuts they introduced them and were vocal about it on social media and then a few months later quietly got rid of them. A bunch of people say they came lose while riding so why are they still selling trucks with them to unsuspecting people? Most 44s I see in shops have them. How did someone engineer those and not foresee the problems of them stripping immediately or coming off because they have no nylock? They have quality control issues but are focusing on gimmicky axle nuts? Its weird if they could just fix that quality control and possibly offer lighter versions of their trucks for people who prioritize that, ace could really take over a significant market share in the truck game.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 11:07:03 AM by NootNoot »

Diocletian

« Reply #902 on: May 03, 2018, 02:12:12 PM »
Yeah they hyped the crap out of those .38 specials. I had some sets with them and noticed Iíd have to crank the nut all the way until my wheel couldnít spin, then loosen it back to normal in order for them to stay on properly. If I just tightened them like normal without going all the way, theyíd barely stay on the axle and would have definitely fallen off quickly.

They werenít the original ones that came up with that idea for the .38 axle nuts. Some dude that passed away, but I forgot his name and they never gave credit to him. You arenít wrong though, they put regular axle nuts on the axles with these newer ones without admitting the 38ís were a bad idea. They also got rid of the curved hanger which seemed like an innovative idea but turned out to just cause a lot of bending problems.

I honestly donít care about hollow or titanium axles or kingpins. The truckís geometry is perfect, they just need to stop blowing it with their QC. Thatís the real reason why people hate on Ace and stick with the Indy cult. And I understand, because Indy is the most reliable skateboard truck in the entire world. They had their past of faulty runs and no company is perfect, but Stage 11ís, although a slow turning geometry, still dominates in terms of QC and reliability.

Thomas

• Rep: -1
  • no pop no style
« Reply #903 on: May 04, 2018, 01:11:32 AM »
I switched from Indy to Ace because I had two axle slip defect on my Indy.
I honestly don't see any big difference in term of Quality between Indy and Ace...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #904 on: May 04, 2018, 02:21:32 AM »
Iíve said it in this thread before but Iím gonna say it again, Iíve been running 38 specials on my current set of 144s and have never had them vibrate of or strip out, I was bummed when they quietly took them off the market but stocked up on sets.

Not Local

• Rep: 10
« Reply #905 on: May 04, 2018, 07:39:15 AM »
I've had four sets of Ace now and haven't had  single issue with QC. Bummer for those of you who did.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 5
« Reply #906 on: May 04, 2018, 07:55:12 AM »
I think the problem is that there are a lot of versions floating around out there.

The first run of the V2 (including the 38 specials) had issues.  I personally had to buy 4 sets of 55's just to get two trucks that had the same hanger width and centered axles.

I do think they changed the tooling in the factory for the V2.5 AKA Classics).  I just bought two new pairs of 55's and they're both flawless

If you're ordering some, get them from Skatewarehouse, Socal Skateshop or Ace direct to ensure you're getting the current version. there's a lot of old stock floating around out there

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #907 on: May 04, 2018, 08:11:54 AM »
I'm going to guess that quality control and dealing with the factories is not easy and trucks are the most complicated out of any skate hardware so I can see how Indy might be more consistent in their quality. Ace will get it dialled in soon. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #908 on: May 04, 2018, 10:02:02 AM »
I'd imagine now with the switch from Diamond (was that ever confirmed?) they've gone with new partners; clearly they're working on getting their shit straight.

But as BMC mentioned, there is lots of stock out there so be selective. If ordering from SoCal or SW, I'd specify you want the NEW classics as the warehouse dudes might grab you old stock (especially if you order anything other than 44s). Purple coping eaters, Rally Green or Matte Black you can be certain are new stock no matter who you order from but unless I was ordering other shit, I'd buy straight from ACE and not the middle man.

I'm back in (the) black now and want to pick up a new complete and trying to decide on new ACEs (my mag plates are shot but I'm still rocking newish stage II hangers so I'd feel bad but no plates) or taking one for the team and trying the new tensors....;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 10:48:33 AM by Xen »

Diocletian

« Reply #909 on: May 04, 2018, 08:45:39 PM »
I skated the new designs for the first time today, all day long. 44ís. The new stock bushings are a serious improvement. Even the pivot cups I had ZERO squeak whatsoever and Iím surprised because every truck company, including Aceís older trucks always squeak like crazy with the crap plastic stock cups they put in there. I didnít even need to put my Riptideís in these new Aceís. Literally I just turned the kingpin looser so the nut was flush and they feel exactly like Krux aftermarkets. I think they noticed how many praised the Krux in them, because they made this new batch with pearly white bushings just like Krux and the durometer is just about the same.

Iím a big dude at around 210lbs and actually was getting some pretty serious wheelbite on these new Aceís when I kept the rear truck with the nut flush. I had to tighten that one a little more than the front so I wasnít nearly coming to a halt on my deeper turns. It doesnít matter though, either way theyíre perfect when ran stock, whether youíre light or on the heavy side. Finally a truck company offering quality stock bushings and pivot cups right off the bat.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #910 on: May 04, 2018, 10:41:55 PM »
ACE's own promo shots have blown out cups  ;D ;D ;D

Also, on their site:

"T-shirt & Trucks ($69.99/up) Free Shipping on U.S. Orders"

Add one set of (raw) trucks and one shirt to the cart and guess what the total is?

$68.99 :P - I'm a fan but that's pretty fucking weak...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:52:57 PM by Xen »

goatgruff13

• Rep: 0
« Reply #911 on: May 05, 2018, 12:36:05 AM »

I already posted this in the setup thread, but I seen this Ace thread and figured I'd post here. I haven't owned a board in like 15 years or so. But a week or two ago the weather was so nice I randomly decided to build myself a cruiser. It feels good to be back skating! Anyways this is my new setup:

RIPNDIP 9.0 Deck - I really dig the shape and it has a 15.75" wheelbase which is nice for my bigass.
Mob Grip Space Out
Ace 55 "Purple Coping Eaters" - Bones Hardcore Bushings Medium Bottoms/Hard Tops, Riptide 96a Pivot Cups
Kryptonics Star Trac 65mm 86a Wheels
Black Panther Ceramic Bearings
1/2" Psycho Shock Risers
Loaded Button Head Allen Hardware

I always rode indys back in my day but one of my buddies told me about Ace and then I read a bunch online and figured I'd give em a shot. I'm really liking them! I'm old and dad bod fat now days (225lbs) so I ended up swapping the bushings because I was just mashing the stock bushings. I thought at first the slop was maybe because I was just so out of practice, but after switching the bushings and messing with the setup and tightness over a week or so it's made a night and day difference for me. Bones medium bottoms and hard tops with the stock Ace washers on top and bottom, and the kingpin nut tightened to where the second thread is just visible. I'm having a blast skating again, and this setup rides and carves so smooth! I'm going to swap out the risers with smaller 1/4" risers and see how that works out with wheelbite tomorrow. The 1/2" risers make the carve nice and I get zero wheelbite, but it's such a pain to ollie lol. But I'm pretty sold on the Aces at this point! I do not regret the purchase whatsoever.

micky682

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #912 on: May 05, 2018, 07:52:11 AM »

Also, on their site:

"T-shirt & Trucks ($69.99/up) Free Shipping on U.S. Orders"

Add one set of (raw) trucks and one shirt to the cart and guess what the total is?

$68.99 :P - I'm a fan but that's pretty fucking weak...
I'm pretty sure that picture is from an instagram post of Julien Stranger's trucks.
Keenan had that special ability to make his switch tricks better than his regular tricks but still let you know they were switch.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #913 on: May 05, 2018, 08:13:13 AM »

That's what happens when you skate.  Everyone blows out pivot cups if you're doing it right.

Seadramon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #914 on: May 05, 2018, 11:20:14 AM »
they sponsor vinnie banh so y'know they good

Nate

• Rep: 37
« Reply #915 on: May 05, 2018, 12:20:17 PM »
I found a pair of indy 149 hangers, would they work on an ace baseplate?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #916 on: May 05, 2018, 04:22:23 PM »

Yeah but they also have bones bushings in that pair that he cropped out, so donít knock their marketing dept too hard man

ballintoohard

• Rep: -3
« Reply #917 on: May 08, 2018, 11:44:51 AM »
If anyone has some decent condition 44's I'd buy a used set to try.

NootNoot

« Reply #918 on: May 09, 2018, 11:01:21 PM »
Do you live in Canada? If so Iíll send you some for free. If not just pay the shipping. Dm me.

hey pickle

• Rep: -30
« Reply #919 on: May 10, 2018, 12:38:37 AM »
anyone know if any uk shops have the new shape 33's?

roba

• Rep: 23
« Reply #920 on: May 13, 2018, 10:36:46 AM »
i've been thinking about trying aces out as they are finally available in poland and i've heard that they bend like crazy, is that true? i only know one person who has skated aces and his pair bent, is this still the case?
I want a Hollywood movie about dudes in mesh hats forming bonds while pouring DIY 'crete

@grandroba

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #921 on: May 13, 2018, 10:51:32 AM »
i've been thinking about trying aces out as they are finally available in poland and i've heard that they bend like crazy, is that true? i only know one person who has skated aces and his pair bent, is this still the case?

Had you read through this thread you would have found that ACEs no longer have a bending issue; just be sure if you buy them that you are getting NEW stock (you can read this thread to help you figure out what that means).

roba

• Rep: 23
« Reply #922 on: May 13, 2018, 11:29:41 AM »

Had you read through this thread you would have found that ACEs no longer have a bending issue; just be sure if you buy them that you are getting NEW stock (you can read this thread to help you figure out what that means).

thanks, now i have the motivation to scroll through 31 pages
I want a Hollywood movie about dudes in mesh hats forming bonds while pouring DIY 'crete

@grandroba

Diocletian

« Reply #923 on: May 17, 2018, 08:00:48 PM »

Check your inbox

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #924 on: May 17, 2018, 08:42:28 PM »

Check your inbox

Between th two of us we can make some 44s for him ;0

Diocletian

« Reply #925 on: May 17, 2018, 09:34:48 PM »
Lol, yeah I forgot I have an extra set of stage 1 44ís that were never mounted or skated. Raw silver. And still all the extra baseplates and the brand new 33ís like we talked about. At this point, I have an Ace tacklebox as well as a gigantic boneyard of all sorts of truck stuff. Still have some used 159 standard Indyís Iíd like to get rid of, brand new standard 149 Thunders, and much much more. Too many slightly used boards from trying different sizes and changing my mind. Total madness.

SJ

« Reply #926 on: May 23, 2018, 08:57:02 PM »
Curious, for those who have run Aces with bones bushings (medium) how do you rate them compared to the new stock bushings? Are you able to run the bones looser than the stocks?

Fifty8mm

« Reply #927 on: May 26, 2018, 05:08:41 PM »
I have three sets of ace as of right now and a Mag baseplate. I had two older ace 44s with the mag plates. And god they were awesome. Right now I have one set of old 66s and two sets of the newer design in 44 and 55. They feel different it might be psychological but they feel off. Can get the feeling of the older ones back. Could be cause I got fat but still I can't replicate the feeling of before. So I started riding some stage 7 indys which feel fucking good but I get mad wheelbite. They turn awesome though.
Any fat dudes rocking aces? Or just my lonesome fat ass?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #928 on: May 26, 2018, 10:27:31 PM »
I weigh 95 kg currently  :'( and ride only Aces. Old 44s with and without mag plates on two setups and new 44s and 55s on two cruiser setups. The new Aces don't turn as well as the old ones but I think that's just cuz they're not properly broken in yet. They turn nice but it's not as nice as the old ones which are properly broken in. All of them are stock with the nut flush. It did take me quite long to break in the old Aces too and even though people say that the new ones require no break in, I'm thinking they do.

Fifty8mm

« Reply #929 on: May 27, 2018, 12:31:46 AM »
I weigh 95 kg currently  :'( and ride only Aces.
Im at 116 kg right now. Lol but i was skating some stage 7 indys that I had around. I also have some Titanium Thunders 149 with the raised baseplate. I used to get wheelbite a lot with older thunders might try these out. But Ill probably go back to the stage 7 indys. Such a shame they are getting harder to find and fucking expensive.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:35:34 AM by Fifty8mm »