Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 116547 times)

Daniel

• Rep: 7
  • On permanent vacation.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #990 on: July 29, 2018, 11:47:25 AM »
I just set up my third set of 44s. My last two sets lasted a year and then the axles slipped. On the first set both axles slipped, and on the second set only one axle slipped.

Is axle slip more likely to happen if you skate trucks that are wider than your board? I skate 44s on 8 and 8.125.

I'd rather set up a new set of Aces every year than have the same old slow turning Indies for a couple of years.

Quality control would be the problem.
I'm skating 44s on 8s and 8.12s and have  had no problems. Probably does help to keep truck sizing equal to or under board width..

chiefqueef420

• Rep: -5
« Reply #991 on: July 30, 2018, 07:09:24 PM »
Three speed rings on the inside, one outside, and flip those axle nuts. No axle slip ever again.
I've heard of people doing both of those (speed ring trick and flipped axle nuts) before but never knew the purpose. Does this really help axle slip, and if it does, does anyone know how or why?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #992 on: July 30, 2018, 08:42:48 PM »
Been skating since forever and a day, never heard of flipping axle nuts around.

Back when indy and thunder would slip all the time Stage III+ spacers and rings to keep the nuts flush at the tip of the axle and zero play with the wheels was the only way to keep slip at bay. Probably still works.

With ACE'sQC, it's usually impossible to get three rings on each side.

TheVisitor

• Rep: -12
« Reply #993 on: August 02, 2018, 12:13:51 AM »
Want to trade Thunder Titanmiums 147 or 149 for Ace 44's. Preferably for the most recent Ace redesign. I have both Forged and Cast hollow kingpin baseplates availabe for the Thunders. Will also consider Hollow Indy 144/149.

My Thunders are skated but have plenty of life left. No blown out bushings or pivot cups, plenty of meat left on the axles.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 3
« Reply #994 on: August 07, 2018, 05:45:04 PM »
Man. I got some 55's and the bushings seem super soft....I know that's not uncommon with most stock bushings but I guess with that height and the turning radius it seems so loose...
They should harden up after a few sessions. Donít be afraid to tighten em down once you feel them starting to bounce back.

I found the opposite; even with the kingpin nuts wound all the way out they were too tight at first, but now after a few months they're perfect.

FluFlammer

• Rep: 1
« Reply #995 on: August 14, 2018, 02:23:20 PM »
has anyone here made a switch from indy 149's to ace 44's on an 8.5? Looking to shoot my shot with them and want to hear your experiences.

Not Local

• Rep: 10
« Reply #996 on: August 14, 2018, 08:04:32 PM »
has anyone here made a switch from indy 149's to ace 44's on an 8.5? Looking to shoot my shot with them and want to hear your experiences.

yes, and it was great. i could ride either truck but the ace just slightly trumps indy on turn ability. a tad lower and lighter but not really much. Don't worry about the width too much. ace 44s come in around 8 3/8" that's a 1/16" narrower on each side of the board than a 149. if you skate tranny and like loose trucks, you're especially stoked. if you mainly skate street or like tighter trucks- there's not much in it.

FluFlammer

« Reply #997 on: August 14, 2018, 11:44:53 PM »

yes, and it was great. i could ride either truck but the ace just slightly trumps indy on turn ability. a tad lower and lighter but not really much. Don't worry about the width too much. ace 44s come in around 8 3/8" that's a 1/16" narrower on each side of the board than a 149. if you skate tranny and like loose trucks, you're especially stoked. if you mainly skate street or like tighter trucks- there's not much in it.

Thank you bro i appreciate it!
My local park is an all tranny park so it wont be an issue

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 16
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #998 on: August 15, 2018, 11:32:45 AM »

Thank you bro i appreciate it!
My local park is an all tranny park so it wont be an issue

I've been riding 44's on an 8.5 as well. It doesn't bother me that the truck is slightly in. I am riding a board with a tapered tail though. Might feel different with full shapes.

ballintoohard

• Rep: -3
« Reply #999 on: August 16, 2018, 12:12:21 PM »

I made the same switch, skate medium trucks, love the Ace, never going back.

Daniel

• On permanent vacation.
« Reply #1000 on: August 17, 2018, 11:44:18 AM »
Been switching back and forth Indy and Ace and can't seem to settle on one. Once getting used to one and liking it, I get the itch to switch back to the other and vice versa. Atleast I narrowed the madness between these two trucks...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 10:43:07 AM by Daniel »

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1001 on: August 18, 2018, 10:35:29 AM »
I just got a pair of 44s after hearing all of you gush about aces. First session on a mini ramp this morning and god damn those trucks are loose. I know that's kind of their thing though but after I got the feel of them they feel pretty good once I fiddles with the kindling a bit. Nice smooth grind to them. 

Anyone put stiffer bushings in them, or are you all super loose truck guys?

hmmmokay

• content nausea
« Reply #1002 on: August 18, 2018, 10:52:03 AM »
I just got a pair of 44s after hearing all of you gush about aces. First session on a mini ramp this morning and god damn those trucks are loose. I know that's kind of their thing though but after I got the feel of them they feel pretty good once I fiddles with the kindling a bit. Nice smooth grind to them. 

Yep, these guys.

I was riding them in my thunders as well, but not tightening them down too much so they were still relatively "loose" just, in my opinion, a bit more responsive than the medium bushings. They also have not softened up as fast (or at all really) as the mediums.

Contrary to how most people ride bones bushings (including myself before I got Aces), when I put them in my 44s, I kept a bottom washer on so I didn't have to tighten up so much on the kingpin. I've got about one thread from the kingpin above the top of the nut, still have the amazing turning performance that Ace is known for but with a bit more stability from the hard bushings.

Hope that helps!
Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1003 on: August 18, 2018, 11:10:25 AM »

I donít skate loose trucks at all, after the first two sessions the stock bushings stiffened up just fine. I tightened them maybe 1/4-1/2 turn on each truck and havenít messed with them since. I would give the stock bushings a good week or two before you switch them out.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Ankle_Lift

« Reply #1004 on: August 18, 2018, 12:06:51 PM »
All good to know! I'll let them break in a bit before I try new bushings. I hate that feeling where you're thrown off a bit for a session or two when you get new trucks or a new deck or whatever. 

Daniel

• On permanent vacation.
« Reply #1005 on: August 18, 2018, 09:53:25 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what wheelbase board do you guys find best with ace?
I like 14.25, but have had nose and tail lengths affect that sweet spot.
Anyone loyal to one board brand/dimension with the aces?

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1006 on: August 19, 2018, 12:15:10 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what wheelbase board do you guys find best with ace?
I like 14.25, but have had nose and tail lengths affect that sweet spot.
Anyone loyal to one board brand/dimension with the aces?

I'm pretty tall, liked my aces with wheelbase between 14.5-14.75, a bit less is good too, better for tech but less stable. Skated a pennswood with a 14 inch wb with aces once and that was wayyyy too small.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1007 on: August 19, 2018, 01:28:41 AM »
Currently skating some copper aces that I found dirt cheap (23 bucks). Im a tad worried since my next two decks in line to ride are Scumco's and they have a small wheelbases.
 PS stix Scumco has a bigger wheelbase at 14.125"  than the pennswood Scumco but not much. The pennswood is exactly 14".
I hope it works for me since Im not that tall 5'9".

hermanos racists

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1008 on: August 19, 2018, 01:37:33 AM »
i tried my 44's with bones hards without bottom washer and they are not that good as with the stocks ones.made an awful sound and didnt turn as good.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1009 on: August 19, 2018, 08:37:03 AM »
I rode the 03 (lows) with bones hards, it worked oddly enough.

Can't ride ACE on short WBs, that's just me,even 14.25 feels too short with them.

I've a pair setup on an 14.5" WB and some thunders on a 14.25" both feel great (prefer the Thunders right now tho but that could be just the feel of the 101 spit 52 classics with dry AF swiss six)

Mongoloid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
  • Oozing Machismo
« Reply #1010 on: August 19, 2018, 09:47:51 AM »

Can't ride ACE on short WBs, that's just me,even 14.25 feels too short with them.

I've a pair setup on an 14.5" WB and some thunders on a 14.25" both feel great (prefer the Thunders right now tho but that could be just the feel of the 101 spit 52 classics with dry AF swiss six)

On this note.

I noticed with the shortened wheelbase I have to position my foot more central on the board as opposed to just behind the bolts for most tricks. Something that I am not at all used to due to muscle memory.

Love my Ace trucks though!
I wouldn't even try to aquire an elephant that would be mad selfish I don't have the means to give him a comfortable life

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1011 on: August 19, 2018, 12:34:14 PM »

On this note.

I noticed with the shortened wheelbase I have to position my foot more central on the board as opposed to just behind the bolts for most tricks. Something that I am not at all used to due to muscle memory.

On shorter WB boards with ACE/Indy/Theeve I find I put my front much further up, sometimes right at the edge of the kick when skating bowls vs just behind the first set of bolts on loner WB.

Mongoloid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
  • Oozing Machismo
« Reply #1012 on: August 19, 2018, 01:30:20 PM »

On this note.

On shorter WB boards with ACE/Indy/Theeve I find I put my front much further up, sometimes right at the edge of the kick when skating bowls vs just behind the first set of bolts on loner WB.

that's nuts man, just goes to show how differing technique can be from one individual to another.
I wouldn't even try to aquire an elephant that would be mad selfish I don't have the means to give him a comfortable life

troy

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1013 on: August 20, 2018, 10:20:46 AM »
Just copped some second gen aces. They were a little to tight stock so I put the krux top bushing in and I am liking it so far. When those bushings crap out, what should I use to replace the bottom bushing? Will the whole krux replacement kit work?

Daniel

• On permanent vacation.
« Reply #1014 on: August 20, 2018, 10:45:28 AM »
The stock new replacements for aces fully broken in work the best out of everything.
If you're still wanting loose, you can even buy a second set of low replacements and use the shorter top bushing from that set paired with your regular tall cylinder. Gives kind of a rattle loose feel but still stable...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 12:25:04 AM by Daniel »

whenyousleep

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1015 on: August 31, 2018, 04:52:26 PM »
Does anyone skate the 33's on an 8? I feel like everyone here is on the 44 gang

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #1016 on: August 31, 2018, 05:02:44 PM »

I used to skate 33's and 8" Roger boards a few years ago when they had those square PS STIX shapes and it may be my favorite kind of setup ever. If you're interested, try it, they're great.

Diocletian

« Reply #1017 on: September 03, 2018, 04:11:25 PM »
Anyone have any .38 specials unused? Iíve never had problems with them and I like seeing them on my axles.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1018 on: September 03, 2018, 05:39:49 PM »

I rocked some 33s, 8/8.125/8.25- worked great, can't see why they wouldn't?

Sundaynuggets

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1019 on: September 03, 2018, 05:42:10 PM »

Yep! I skate 33ís on 8/8.12 on both short wheel base Pennswood decks and a slightly longer wheelbase Real deck in 8.25. They work great!

Iím going to try moving up to 8.25 and possibly 8.5 wide decks so I think Iíll try ACE 44ís when I do that but for now the 33ís are great