Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 739039 times)

Sk8 Prick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #960 on: June 12, 2018, 07:43:35 AM »
Anyone ever have issue with axel slip? Ive had one pair of ace trucks, loved how they looked and felt, but the axel slip was unbearable. Had it on both trucks. It got to the point that anytime I didn't land something my wheels would stop spinning completely. F*cked up the ends of both axels from constantly banging them on the ground to center them. Never had this issue with any trucks before (always thought it was a myth, or that people were being babies). Did I possibly have a defective pair? Have they addressed this issue? Or do I just really suck at sk8ing? *I know this has probably been discussed in depth but I'm lazy to find answers*

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #961 on: June 12, 2018, 09:30:00 AM »
Anyone ever have issue with axel slip? Ive had one pair of ace trucks, loved how they looked and felt, but the axel slip was unbearable. Had it on both trucks. It got to the point that anytime I didn't land something my wheels would stop spinning completely. F*cked up the ends of both axels from constantly banging them on the ground to center them. Never had this issue with any trucks before (always thought it was a myth, or that people were being babies). Did I possibly have a defective pair? Have they addressed this issue? Or do I just really suck at sk8ing? *I know this has probably been discussed in depth but I'm lazy to find answers*

Been off an on ACEs for years now, never had axle slip.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #962 on: June 12, 2018, 04:29:43 PM »
Man. I got some 55's and the bushings seem super soft....I know that's not uncommon with most stock bushings but I guess with that height and the turning radius it seems so loose...
They should harden up after a few sessions. Don’t be afraid to tighten em down once you feel them starting to bounce back.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #963 on: June 13, 2018, 02:42:09 AM »

I had this on Indys, switched to Aces, had it on my last pair of Aces too.
I guess it just happens, the hanger is molded on the axle, so there's nothing to prevent this...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #964 on: June 18, 2018, 11:56:59 AM »
Just got my first set of Ace 44s. Looking forward to trying them. Gonna set them up today!
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #965 on: June 18, 2018, 11:28:44 PM »
Just got my first set of Ace 44s. Looking forward to trying them. Gonna set them up today!
You'll love them. Best truck ever.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #966 on: June 19, 2018, 05:31:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had this on Indys, switched to Aces, had it on my last pair of Aces too.
I guess it just happens, the hanger is molded on the axle, so there's nothing to prevent this...

Yeah, I don't know how people don't get axel slip eventually... I only skate indys and ace currently, but they all have some level of axel slip. I do a lot of slappies so I'm pretty rough on them but it still can get annoying to constantly keep checking to see that the wheels are spinning freely.

But the axel slip on ace and indy is nothing compared to some ventures I had several years back which would slip constantly. I haven't tried ventures since but I have been curious (aka experiencing acute truck madness).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #967 on: June 19, 2018, 08:41:37 AM »
That's why I skated the Theeve tih's for so long.....I've now finally moved back to traditional trucks.  My fingers are crossed....I can fuck with the tap....tap....

Diocletian

« Reply #968 on: June 21, 2018, 11:22:05 AM »
Three speed rings on the inside, one outside, and flip those axle nuts. No axle slip ever again.

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #969 on: June 27, 2018, 10:38:58 PM »
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

ballintoohard

« Reply #970 on: July 14, 2018, 08:08:17 AM »
If anyone is selling some Mag plates, holler- I'll buy a set.

Daniel

• Rep: 6
« Reply #971 on: July 29, 2018, 11:47:25 AM »
I just set up my third set of 44s. My last two sets lasted a year and then the axles slipped. On the first set both axles slipped, and on the second set only one axle slipped.

Is axle slip more likely to happen if you skate trucks that are wider than your board? I skate 44s on 8 and 8.125.

I'd rather set up a new set of Aces every year than have the same old slow turning Indies for a couple of years.

Quality control would be the problem.
I'm skating 44s on 8s and 8.12s and have  had no problems. Probably does help to keep truck sizing equal to or under board width..

chiefqueef420

• Rep: -6
« Reply #972 on: July 30, 2018, 07:09:24 PM »
Three speed rings on the inside, one outside, and flip those axle nuts. No axle slip ever again.
I've heard of people doing both of those (speed ring trick and flipped axle nuts) before but never knew the purpose. Does this really help axle slip, and if it does, does anyone know how or why?
i pop my shields and sprinkle some sand in there. i want to make sure i approach that ledge as slow as possible so i dont slip out on my 5050s

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #973 on: July 30, 2018, 08:42:48 PM »
Been skating since forever and a day, never heard of flipping axle nuts around.

Back when indy and thunder would slip all the time Stage III+ spacers and rings to keep the nuts flush at the tip of the axle and zero play with the wheels was the only way to keep slip at bay. Probably still works.

With ACE'sQC, it's usually impossible to get three rings on each side.

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #974 on: August 02, 2018, 12:13:51 AM »
Want to trade Thunder Titanmiums 147 or 149 for Ace 44's. Preferably for the most recent Ace redesign. I have both Forged and Cast hollow kingpin baseplates availabe for the Thunders. Will also consider Hollow Indy 144/149.

My Thunders are skated but have plenty of life left. No blown out bushings or pivot cups, plenty of meat left on the axles.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #975 on: August 07, 2018, 05:45:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Man. I got some 55's and the bushings seem super soft....I know that's not uncommon with most stock bushings but I guess with that height and the turning radius it seems so loose...
[close]
They should harden up after a few sessions. Don’t be afraid to tighten em down once you feel them starting to bounce back.

I found the opposite; even with the kingpin nuts wound all the way out they were too tight at first, but now after a few months they're perfect.

FluFlammer

• Rep: 1
« Reply #976 on: August 14, 2018, 02:23:20 PM »
has anyone here made a switch from indy 149's to ace 44's on an 8.5? Looking to shoot my shot with them and want to hear your experiences.

Not Local

« Reply #977 on: August 14, 2018, 08:04:32 PM »
has anyone here made a switch from indy 149's to ace 44's on an 8.5? Looking to shoot my shot with them and want to hear your experiences.

yes, and it was great. i could ride either truck but the ace just slightly trumps indy on turn ability. a tad lower and lighter but not really much. Don't worry about the width too much. ace 44s come in around 8 3/8" that's a 1/16" narrower on each side of the board than a 149. if you skate tranny and like loose trucks, you're especially stoked. if you mainly skate street or like tighter trucks- there's not much in it.

FluFlammer

• Rep: 1
« Reply #978 on: August 14, 2018, 11:44:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yes, and it was great. i could ride either truck but the ace just slightly trumps indy on turn ability. a tad lower and lighter but not really much. Don't worry about the width too much. ace 44s come in around 8 3/8" that's a 1/16" narrower on each side of the board than a 149. if you skate tranny and like loose trucks, you're especially stoked. if you mainly skate street or like tighter trucks- there's not much in it.

Thank you bro i appreciate it!
My local park is an all tranny park so it wont be an issue

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #979 on: August 15, 2018, 11:32:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thank you bro i appreciate it!
My local park is an all tranny park so it wont be an issue

I've been riding 44's on an 8.5 as well. It doesn't bother me that the truck is slightly in. I am riding a board with a tapered tail though. Might feel different with full shapes.

ballintoohard

« Reply #980 on: August 16, 2018, 12:12:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I made the same switch, skate medium trucks, love the Ace, never going back.

Daniel

« Reply #981 on: August 17, 2018, 11:44:18 AM »
Been switching back and forth Indy and Ace and can't seem to settle on one. Once getting used to one and liking it, I get the itch to switch back to the other and vice versa. Atleast I narrowed the madness between these two trucks...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 10:43:07 AM by Daniel »

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #982 on: August 18, 2018, 10:35:29 AM »
I just got a pair of 44s after hearing all of you gush about aces. First session on a mini ramp this morning and god damn those trucks are loose. I know that's kind of their thing though but after I got the feel of them they feel pretty good once I fiddles with the kindling a bit. Nice smooth grind to them. 

Anyone put stiffer bushings in them, or are you all super loose truck guys?

hmmmokay

« Reply #983 on: August 18, 2018, 10:52:03 AM »
I just got a pair of 44s after hearing all of you gush about aces. First session on a mini ramp this morning and god damn those trucks are loose. I know that's kind of their thing though but after I got the feel of them they feel pretty good once I fiddles with the kindling a bit. Nice smooth grind to them. 

Yep, these guys.

I was riding them in my thunders as well, but not tightening them down too much so they were still relatively "loose" just, in my opinion, a bit more responsive than the medium bushings. They also have not softened up as fast (or at all really) as the mediums.

Contrary to how most people ride bones bushings (including myself before I got Aces), when I put them in my 44s, I kept a bottom washer on so I didn't have to tighten up so much on the kingpin. I've got about one thread from the kingpin above the top of the nut, still have the amazing turning performance that Ace is known for but with a bit more stability from the hard bushings.

Hope that helps!

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #984 on: August 18, 2018, 11:10:25 AM »

I don’t skate loose trucks at all, after the first two sessions the stock bushings stiffened up just fine. I tightened them maybe 1/4-1/2 turn on each truck and haven’t messed with them since. I would give the stock bushings a good week or two before you switch them out.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #985 on: August 18, 2018, 12:06:51 PM »
All good to know! I'll let them break in a bit before I try new bushings. I hate that feeling where you're thrown off a bit for a session or two when you get new trucks or a new deck or whatever. 

Daniel

« Reply #986 on: August 18, 2018, 09:53:25 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what wheelbase board do you guys find best with ace?
I like 14.25, but have had nose and tail lengths affect that sweet spot.
Anyone loyal to one board brand/dimension with the aces?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #987 on: August 19, 2018, 12:15:10 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what wheelbase board do you guys find best with ace?
I like 14.25, but have had nose and tail lengths affect that sweet spot.
Anyone loyal to one board brand/dimension with the aces?

I'm pretty tall, liked my aces with wheelbase between 14.5-14.75, a bit less is good too, better for tech but less stable. Skated a pennswood with a 14 inch wb with aces once and that was wayyyy too small.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 124
« Reply #988 on: August 19, 2018, 01:28:41 AM »
Currently skating some copper aces that I found dirt cheap (23 bucks). Im a tad worried since my next two decks in line to ride are Scumco's and they have a small wheelbases.
 PS stix Scumco has a bigger wheelbase at 14.125"  than the pennswood Scumco but not much. The pennswood is exactly 14".
I hope it works for me since Im not that tall 5'9".

hermanos racists

« Reply #989 on: August 19, 2018, 01:37:33 AM »
i tried my 44's with bones hards without bottom washer and they are not that good as with the stocks ones.made an awful sound and didnt turn as good.