Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 115314 times)

whenyousleep

• Rep: 0
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1020 on: September 04, 2018, 09:14:32 PM »
Does anyone skate the 33's on an 8? I feel like everyone here is on the 44 gang

I rocked some 33s, 8/8.125/8.25- worked great, can't see why they wouldn't?

Haha, I guess when I see some people in the setup thread riding the 44s on an 8 or 8.1, I get a lil scared ;D

kentrock

• Rep: -61
« Reply #1021 on: September 04, 2018, 09:40:13 PM »

Haha, I guess when I see some people in the setup thread riding the 44s on an 8 or 8.1, I get a lil scared ;D

why?

hey pickle

• Rep: -30
« Reply #1022 on: September 05, 2018, 12:22:46 AM »

why?

hotroddin sucks son thats why

cosmicgypsies

• Rep: 114
« Reply #1023 on: September 05, 2018, 02:37:16 AM »
Been skating since forever and a day, never heard of flipping axle nuts around.

Back when indy and thunder would slip all the time Stage III+ spacers and rings to keep the nuts flush at the tip of the axle and zero play with the wheels was the only way to keep slip at bay. Probably still works.

With ACE'sQC, it's usually impossible to get three rings on each side.

bit late but responding to this, usually we flip axle nuts around when someones axle threads/nut is fucked as a temporary way to keep them skating. not pretty but it works as the nylock part gets on first.

kentrock

« Reply #1024 on: September 05, 2018, 01:33:32 PM »

why?

doesnt bother me what anyone else does

hey pickle

• Rep: -30
« Reply #1025 on: September 05, 2018, 02:46:39 PM »

why?

doesnt bother me what anyone else does

you asked son

Mongoloid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
  • Oozing Machismo
« Reply #1026 on: September 05, 2018, 04:08:20 PM »
I've done 33's and 44's on 8"-8.25".

There was no real notable difference for me.
I wouldn't even try to aquire an elephant that would be mad selfish I don't have the means to give him a comfortable life

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -384
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1027 on: September 05, 2018, 08:13:39 PM »
Just had my second sesh on the new 44s after coming off of thunder 149s
Honestly it took me longer to get used to the pop of thunders after half a lifetime on Indys
44s feel good but those bushings need to harden up sometime soon, defs fun for just cruising around though

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #yearoftheeagle

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1028 on: September 06, 2018, 08:07:32 AM »
Just had my second sesh on the new 44s after coming off of thunder 149s
Honestly it took me longer to get used to the pop of thunders after half a lifetime on Indys
44s feel good but those bushings need to harden up sometime soon, defs fun for just cruising around though

I felt the same way. I couldn't believe how squirrelly they felt first session, but I was coming off riding a pair of Royals that I had apparently gotten pretty used to. I  just cranked them down a bunch then slowly a re-tightened then as they loosened back up as I skated to what felt good. They definitely will harden up. It didn't take long. A few miniramp and park sessions.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 08:09:15 AM by Ankle_Lift »

Diocletian

« Reply #1029 on: September 07, 2018, 11:41:22 AM »
I grabbed some size 33 stage II .38 specials recently and I like looking down and seeing the old classic slimmer design hanger compared to the new beefed up one. These have the really hard stock bushings but Im just being patient with them and letting them break in. The newest design Aces stock bushings were a bit too soft for my liking, I got crazy wheelbite. Once these ones break in theyre the perfect balance of not too hard and not too soft.

Also, going down from size 44 to 33 isnt a very noticeable difference, as others have said. I like having a smaller 8.125 board and these 33s. Lighter and grinds coping and curbs just as good. I initially thought theyd end up being a bit too skinny and miss a lot of grinds but theyve been perfect. Think I actually prefer these to 44s now. Anyways, cheers.

I AM

« Reply #1030 on: September 08, 2018, 12:52:07 PM »
i've had two sets of ace 55 break recently. they both broke in the same way, baseplate on the front truck blew out on a slappy. i ride my front truck wobbly, just like i do with any other truck, but i've never broken any trucks before in any way other than the nut wearing out. one thing i've noticed is, both trucks broke right when the pivot cup started to get a bit deformed. is this a problem with the pivot cup? if so what pivot cups actually fit ace hangers?(other than ace aftermarket and riptide) or is this a problem with the baseplate? if so will mag baseplates be any better? 

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1031 on: September 08, 2018, 01:12:28 PM »
i've had two sets of ace 55 break recently. they both broke in the same way, baseplate on the front truck blew out on a slappy. i ride my front truck wobbly, just like i do with any other truck, but i've never broken any trucks before in any way other than the nut wearing out. one thing i've noticed is, both trucks broke right when the pivot cup started to get a bit deformed. is this a problem with the pivot cup? if so what pivot cups actually fit ace hangers?(other than ace aftermarket and riptide) or is this a problem with the baseplate? if so will mag baseplates be any better? 

Wow, the same thing happened to me a couple months ago. I assumed it was just a freak thing. I can't remember how the pivot cup was doing at the time.

kentrock

« Reply #1032 on: September 08, 2018, 01:19:17 PM »

what pivot cups fit ace other than ace or riptide?

I AM

« Reply #1033 on: September 08, 2018, 01:43:37 PM »

what pivot cups fit ace other than ace or riptide?
independent aftermarket and khiro smalls definitely don't fit. haven't tried the softs though, maybe they stretch to fit? the only ones i've tried that do fit are minilogos but they're straight up plastic. absolute garbage. does anybody know if khiro large fits? perhaps some less obscure longboard company? that or i'll try gluing the stock cups in and pouring oil.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1034 on: September 08, 2018, 02:57:57 PM »

Ace Mag plates are prone to breaking. With that being said mine are still going fucking strong.

full of jerks

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1035 on: September 08, 2018, 06:03:33 PM »
The top of a Khiro small pivot cup won't be flush with the baseplate like the stock one would be, but I couldn't tell if there was any problem because of that.  The trucks felt fine.

Diocletian

« Reply #1036 on: September 08, 2018, 06:46:42 PM »
Ive broken three Ace baseplates at that exact same spot on different sets of stage 2s. All from slappies. Had nothing to do with pivot cups either. Was always running riptides and theyre not thin or weak.

I recommend just getting the newest designs. I have a set of 44s with no top bushing and have beat the living shit out of them. No issues with kingpins coming loose, pivots ripping, or baseplates breaking. Their new stock pivot cups are fine. Riptides are the only other ones that fit properly, as far as I know.

I AM

« Reply #1037 on: September 08, 2018, 08:52:37 PM »

Ace Mag plates are prone to breaking. With that being said mine are still going fucking strong.
do you mean in a qc sense or are the mags weaker in general?

I AM

« Reply #1038 on: September 08, 2018, 08:55:25 PM »
Ive broken three Ace baseplates at that exact same spot on different sets of stage 2s. All from slappies. Had nothing to do with pivot cups either. Was always running riptides and theyre not thin or weak.

I recommend just getting the newest designs. I have a set of 44s with no top bushing and have beat the living shit out of them. No issues with kingpins coming loose, pivots ripping, or baseplates breaking. Their new stock pivot cups are fine. Riptides are the only other ones that fit properly, as far as I know.
what's the difference with stage 2 and the newest ones? both of mine had the redesign hanger and softer stock bottom bushings.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:58:28 PM by I AM »

kentrock

« Reply #1039 on: September 08, 2018, 09:34:37 PM »
The top of a Khiro small pivot cup won't be flush with the baseplate like the stock one would be, but I couldn't tell if there was any problem because of that.  The trucks felt fine.
[/quote

what pivot cups are best?

Diocletian

« Reply #1040 on: September 09, 2018, 06:47:26 PM »

what's the difference with stage 2 and the newest ones? both of mine had the redesign hanger and softer stock bottom bushings.

Stage 1s had lots of quality control issues, especially bending. Stage 2s were beefed up hangers and fixed bending for the most part, along with new stock bushings which were really hard. Then stage 2.5s were basically just 2s with stock .38 axle nuts and the same super hard stock bushings. Stage 3s are the current ones with even more beefed up hangers, better quality control, softer durometer and bright white stock bushings, and normal axle nuts.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1041 on: September 09, 2018, 08:24:30 PM »
Broke in a new set of 55s yesterday. Put a drop of speed cream in the pivot cups. (I didnt do this on my 44s and those things are loud as fuck) They were super wobbly and almost unrideable at first, after about an hour they had some bounce back and were skating fine. Will probably crank them down 1/4-1/2 turn after my next sesh on them.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

I AM

« Reply #1042 on: September 10, 2018, 02:20:48 AM »
so that means i've broken 2 stage 3 base plates. i'm giving ace one last chance to redeem themselves with the mags. if those break then i'm going back to indys until they
reinforce the baseplate. i don't know why ace keep beefing up the hanger when all that's doing is making them look uglier and heavier.  the hanger is fine, it's everything else that's not. also, doesn't ace use higher quality metal than indy? i read something on this board about ace not being forged and thats why they're so weak. i don't know enough about this to form an opinion but i really think ace should start using stronger metals and different casting techniques or whatever because mags aren't cheap and if they break i might not feel like buying anything from ace ever again.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1043 on: September 10, 2018, 05:16:50 AM »
so that means i've broken 2 stage 3 base plates. i'm giving ace one last chance to redeem themselves with the mags. if those break then i'm going back to indys until they
reinforce the baseplate. i don't know why ace keep beefing up the hanger when all that's doing is making them look uglier and heavier.  the hanger is fine, it's everything else that's not. also, doesn't ace use higher quality metal than indy? i read something on this board about ace not being forged and thats why they're so weak. i don't know enough about this to form an opinion but i really think ace should start using stronger metals and different casting techniques or whatever because mags aren't cheap and if they break i might not feel like buying anything from ace ever again.

Are you using the stock bushings?  People keep replacing the stock bushings with Bones and that changes the angle of the pivot putting extra stress on the pivot cavity causing it to break. 

I don't think I've seen this happen with anyone using stock bushings.

Also, the magnesium is weaker than the stock aluminum

Thomas

• Rep: -1
  • no pop no style
« Reply #1044 on: September 10, 2018, 07:08:28 AM »

Stage 1s had lots of quality control issues, especially bending. Stage 2s were beefed up hangers and fixed bending for the most part, along with new stock bushings which were really hard. Then stage 2.5s were basically just 2s with stock .38 axle nuts and the same super hard stock bushings. Stage 3s are the current ones with even more beefed up hangers, better quality control, softer durometer and bright white stock bushings, and normal axle nuts.

Anyone have a picture for comparison ?
I'm not sure I've got Stage 3 now...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

sweet pee

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1045 on: September 10, 2018, 07:20:26 AM »
The Stage 3 hangers should look like this

I AM

« Reply #1046 on: September 10, 2018, 08:25:25 AM »

Are you using the stock bushings?  People keep replacing the stock bushings with Bones and that changes the angle of the pivot putting extra stress on the pivot cavity causing it to break. 

both times i broke the trucks, i was riding stock bushings with the bottom washer. i suspect the reason they broke was because i ride my front truck wobbly loose. the up down play might have had something to do with it.

are they actually weaker? i think i read somewhere that they were stronger, lighter, and had a slightly shorter kingpin. i believed this since i've never seen a broken mag baseplate before. i've also never seen broken baseplates with someone who rides the stock bushings without bottom washers or bones without bottom washers. also, is magnesium a weaker material or do the mag baseplates have a reputation of breaking?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1047 on: September 10, 2018, 12:01:12 PM »

both times i broke the trucks, i was riding stock bushings with the bottom washer. i suspect the reason they broke was because i ride my front truck wobbly loose. the up down play might have had something to do with it.

are they actually weaker? i think i read somewhere that they were stronger, lighter, and had a slightly shorter kingpin. i believed this since i've never seen a broken mag baseplate before. i've also never seen broken baseplates with someone who rides the stock bushings without bottom washers or bones without bottom washers. also, is magnesium a weaker material or do the mag baseplates have a reputation of breaking?

That's crazy.  I've only seen the broken baseplates with dudes who were riding bones bushings and no bottom washer.

The standard Ace aluminum is softer than Indy/Thunder/Venture.  The Magnesium baseplates do have a reputation for breaking.  The reason that Ace stopped making them is so many would get broken in shipment.

That being said, plenty of people are using them with no issues at all but if you're already breaking the aluminum plates, you'll likely break the mag plate.

Ace just needs to come out with a forged baseplate, inverted kingpin and hollow axle

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #1048 on: September 10, 2018, 03:44:01 PM »
Ace just needs to come out with a forged baseplate, inverted [I'll settle for a hollow] kingpin and hollow axle

Forged Hollow ACEs would be the shit.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #1049 on: September 10, 2018, 11:35:32 PM »
I should be able to get away with running 44s on an 8.6, yeah? I normally ride an 8.5

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down.