Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738963 times)

kentrock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -199
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1020 on: September 08, 2018, 09:34:37 PM »
The top of a Khiro small pivot cup won't be flush with the baseplate like the stock one would be, but I couldn't tell if there was any problem because of that.  The trucks felt fine.
[/quote

what pivot cups are best?

Diocletian

« Reply #1021 on: September 09, 2018, 06:47:26 PM »
Expand Quote
I’ve broken three Ace baseplates at that exact same spot on different sets of stage 2’s. All from slappies. Had nothing to do with pivot cups either. Was always running riptides and they’re not thin or weak.

I recommend just getting the newest designs. I have a set of 44’s with no top bushing and have beat the living shit out of them. No issues with kingpins coming loose, pivots ripping, or baseplates breaking. Their new stock pivot cups are fine. Riptides are the only other ones that fit properly, as far as I know.
[close]
what's the difference with stage 2 and the newest ones? both of mine had the redesign hanger and softer stock bottom bushings.

Stage 1’s had lots of quality control issues, especially bending. Stage 2’s we’re beefed up hangers and fixed bending for the most part, along with new stock bushings which were really hard. Then stage 2.5’s were basically just 2’s with stock .38 axle nuts and the same super hard stock bushings. Stage 3’s are the current ones with even more beefed up hangers, better quality control, softer durometer and bright white stock bushings, and normal axle nuts.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1022 on: September 09, 2018, 08:24:30 PM »
Broke in a new set of 55s yesterday. Put a drop of speed cream in the pivot cups. (I didn’t do this on my 44s and those things are loud as fuck) They were super wobbly and almost unrideable at first, after about an hour they had some bounce back and were skating fine. Will probably crank them down 1/4-1/2 turn after my next sesh on them.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1023 on: September 10, 2018, 02:20:48 AM »
so that means i've broken 2 stage 3 base plates. i'm giving ace one last chance to redeem themselves with the mags. if those break then i'm going back to indys until they
reinforce the baseplate. i don't know why ace keep beefing up the hanger when all that's doing is making them look uglier and heavier.  the hanger is fine, it's everything else that's not. also, doesn't ace use higher quality metal than indy? i read something on this board about ace not being forged and thats why they're so weak. i don't know enough about this to form an opinion but i really think ace should start using stronger metals and different casting techniques or whatever because mags aren't cheap and if they break i might not feel like buying anything from ace ever again.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1024 on: September 10, 2018, 05:16:50 AM »
so that means i've broken 2 stage 3 base plates. i'm giving ace one last chance to redeem themselves with the mags. if those break then i'm going back to indys until they
reinforce the baseplate. i don't know why ace keep beefing up the hanger when all that's doing is making them look uglier and heavier.  the hanger is fine, it's everything else that's not. also, doesn't ace use higher quality metal than indy? i read something on this board about ace not being forged and thats why they're so weak. i don't know enough about this to form an opinion but i really think ace should start using stronger metals and different casting techniques or whatever because mags aren't cheap and if they break i might not feel like buying anything from ace ever again.

Are you using the stock bushings?  People keep replacing the stock bushings with Bones and that changes the angle of the pivot putting extra stress on the pivot cavity causing it to break. 

I don't think I've seen this happen with anyone using stock bushings.

Also, the magnesium is weaker than the stock aluminum

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #1025 on: September 10, 2018, 07:08:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ve broken three Ace baseplates at that exact same spot on different sets of stage 2’s. All from slappies. Had nothing to do with pivot cups either. Was always running riptides and they’re not thin or weak.

I recommend just getting the newest designs. I have a set of 44’s with no top bushing and have beat the living shit out of them. No issues with kingpins coming loose, pivots ripping, or baseplates breaking. Their new stock pivot cups are fine. Riptides are the only other ones that fit properly, as far as I know.
[close]
what's the difference with stage 2 and the newest ones? both of mine had the redesign hanger and softer stock bottom bushings.
[close]

Stage 1’s had lots of quality control issues, especially bending. Stage 2’s we’re beefed up hangers and fixed bending for the most part, along with new stock bushings which were really hard. Then stage 2.5’s were basically just 2’s with stock .38 axle nuts and the same super hard stock bushings. Stage 3’s are the current ones with even more beefed up hangers, better quality control, softer durometer and bright white stock bushings, and normal axle nuts.

Anyone have a picture for comparison ?
I'm not sure I've got Stage 3 now...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

sweet pee

• Rep: 124
« Reply #1026 on: September 10, 2018, 07:20:26 AM »
The Stage 3 hangers should look like this

I AM

« Reply #1027 on: September 10, 2018, 08:25:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you using the stock bushings?  People keep replacing the stock bushings with Bones and that changes the angle of the pivot putting extra stress on the pivot cavity causing it to break. 

both times i broke the trucks, i was riding stock bushings with the bottom washer. i suspect the reason they broke was because i ride my front truck wobbly loose. the up down play might have had something to do with it.

are they actually weaker? i think i read somewhere that they were stronger, lighter, and had a slightly shorter kingpin. i believed this since i've never seen a broken mag baseplate before. i've also never seen broken baseplates with someone who rides the stock bushings without bottom washers or bones without bottom washers. also, is magnesium a weaker material or do the mag baseplates have a reputation of breaking?

BMCsteve

« Reply #1028 on: September 10, 2018, 12:01:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
both times i broke the trucks, i was riding stock bushings with the bottom washer. i suspect the reason they broke was because i ride my front truck wobbly loose. the up down play might have had something to do with it.

are they actually weaker? i think i read somewhere that they were stronger, lighter, and had a slightly shorter kingpin. i believed this since i've never seen a broken mag baseplate before. i've also never seen broken baseplates with someone who rides the stock bushings without bottom washers or bones without bottom washers. also, is magnesium a weaker material or do the mag baseplates have a reputation of breaking?

That's crazy.  I've only seen the broken baseplates with dudes who were riding bones bushings and no bottom washer.

The standard Ace aluminum is softer than Indy/Thunder/Venture.  The Magnesium baseplates do have a reputation for breaking.  The reason that Ace stopped making them is so many would get broken in shipment.

That being said, plenty of people are using them with no issues at all but if you're already breaking the aluminum plates, you'll likely break the mag plate.

Ace just needs to come out with a forged baseplate, inverted kingpin and hollow axle

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1029 on: September 10, 2018, 03:44:01 PM »
Ace just needs to come out with a forged baseplate, inverted [I'll settle for a hollow] kingpin and hollow axle

Forged Hollow ACEs would be the shit.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #1030 on: September 10, 2018, 11:35:32 PM »
I should be able to get away with running 44s on an 8.6, yeah? I normally ride an 8.5

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1031 on: September 10, 2018, 11:47:14 PM »
I should be able to get away with running 44s on an 8.6, yeah? I normally ride an 8.5

I've done it before and it was fine, didn't bother me at all. Just don't think about it too much or the madness will get to you.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1032 on: September 11, 2018, 01:03:42 AM »
0.1 of an inch distributed over both rails is really nothing in the scheme of things...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1033 on: September 11, 2018, 08:37:49 AM »
Thought so, Ace are nice and stable anyway so I really doubt it's gonna feel like a magic carpet

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Not Local

« Reply #1034 on: September 11, 2018, 12:07:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've done it before and it was fine, didn't bother me at all. Just don't think about it too much or the madness will get to you.

Yep, I've done it also. 44s are 8 3/8 and 8.6 is 8 5/8. That's a 1/4 " difference, so totally within the bounds in my opinion. I tried 44s on an 8.75" and it was doable but probably about the limit unless its s shaped deck with taper.

Diocletian

« Reply #1035 on: September 23, 2018, 01:31:09 AM »
Looks like they finally came out with the copper and blue colors in the new designs.

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #1036 on: September 23, 2018, 12:32:56 PM »
how can you tell what 'stage' aces you have?
i've seen 3 versions. there's one with the tapered hanger and only one speedring, then a 'normal' hanger with two speedrings, and of course the latest ones with that are textured

Diocletian

« Reply #1037 on: September 23, 2018, 05:14:20 PM »
how can you tell what 'stage' aces you have?
i've seen 3 versions. there's one with the tapered hanger and only one speedring, then a 'normal' hanger with two speedrings, and of course the latest ones with that are textured

You just answered your own question.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #1038 on: September 26, 2018, 10:11:28 PM »
I skimmed this thread. hilarious stuff. Imagine if your trucks axles slipped from day one. That was Indy in the 90s. Tap tap tap tap

UK TM

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1039 on: September 27, 2018, 01:14:35 PM »
I'm sure it's covered in here somewhere but are the axels still slipping, hangers bending, bolts still falling off? Regardless of that stuff I've heard they skate well so don't want to buy a set unless that's been sorted.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1040 on: September 27, 2018, 01:21:19 PM »
I'm sure it's covered in here somewhere but are the axels still slipping, hangers bending, bolts still falling off? Regardless of that stuff I've heard they skate well so don't want to buy a set unless that's been sorted.

all of that has been sorted for 99% of people skating the V3's.  There are still a couple people who break things but that happens with every truck

I AM

« Reply #1041 on: September 29, 2018, 07:23:23 AM »
so i just learned that standard indys are not forged. i have never broken indys in any way ever. that means it's either shitty materials or the geometry is broken. i've spent too much time and money on aces only to have them break the same way twice. the only things i like about aces that indys can't do is turn good and stay on center . if indy can just do these two things that they did 40 years ago me and many others would be very pleased. but no, i have to ride a frankenstein truck with ace hangers and indy baseplates and still be frustrated at the lousy turning.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1042 on: October 01, 2018, 04:03:58 PM »
so i just learned that standard indys are not forged. i have never broken indys in any way ever. that means it's either shitty materials or the geometry is broken. i've spent too much time and money on aces only to have them break the same way twice. the only things i like about aces that indys can't do is turn good and stay on center . if indy can just do these two things that they did 40 years ago me and many others would be very pleased. but no, i have to ride a frankenstein truck with ace hangers and indy baseplates and still be frustrated at the lousy turning.

Try Theeve. Seriously.

I AM

« Reply #1043 on: October 01, 2018, 05:36:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Try Theeve. Seriously.
cost too much and nobody has em in stock.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1044 on: October 01, 2018, 08:44:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Try Theeve. Seriously.
[close]

Skate warehouse has'em; you can get the CSX if cost is an issue and you don't care about weight, otherwise /TiAX is also a good choice.

People hate on them but most haven't skated them.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 10:11:00 PM by Xen »

I AM

« Reply #1045 on: October 02, 2018, 11:23:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Try Theeve. Seriously.
[close]
[close]

Skate warehouse has'em; you can get the CSX if cost is an issue and you don't care about weight, otherwise /TiAX is also a good choice.

People hate on them but most haven't skated them.
csx looks like what i imagine ace would look like if they continue beefing up the hanger. i think i'll get the 6.5s. is there anything to look out for with theeves? i've heard they use fake bones bushings, are they any good? also, is TIAX stronger than standard ones? if theeve is everything slap says it is, then i might be a lifer.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1046 on: October 02, 2018, 12:22:28 PM »
csx looks like what i imagine ace would look like if they continue beefing up the hanger. i think i'll get the 6.5s. is there anything to look out for with theeves? i've heard they use fake bones bushings, are they any good? also, is TIAX stronger than standard ones? if theeve is everything slap says it is, then i might be a lifer.
Fake bones are pretty good, in between medium and hard if you ask me. TiAX are super light, probably stronger too

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1047 on: October 02, 2018, 01:46:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Fake bones are pretty good, in between medium and hard if you ask me. TiAX are super light, probably stronger too
Yea but are they worth the price of five boards?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1048 on: October 02, 2018, 02:01:23 PM »
Can you buy 5 boards for $50?

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1049 on: October 02, 2018, 03:00:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Can you buy 5 boards for $50?
Ah I was confusing them for the TiHanger, carry on