Author Topic: Question about wheels.  (Read 6195 times)

Stoeipoes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Question about wheels.
« on: November 06, 2010, 11:08:29 AM »
How long do most of you guys skate the same wheels?

Until they're flatspotted or change them after a month or so?

I have these wheels brand new and ready to skate:

It got these instead of 99's I ordered from a webshop, but I don't know if I should skate them or sell them. I think they're way too hard.

Since it's going colder and less skating outside and more inside, what wheels are recommendable for skating inside?
Bitches call me pussy, the horse filler.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
Re: Question about wheels.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 11:27:16 AM »
id say a little softer for inside/park skating. but i skate around 100s for whatever. and ive had the same pair of bones stfs for like a year. theyve gone from 51's to like 49s but they skate fine. im gonna have to set up some sml as soon as winters over

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 04:23:51 PM »
i skate em until they flat spot pretty badly, im too broke to get new wheels every month

corned beef

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 12:10:29 AM »
Been riding the same SML austyn wheels since march or so. Don't plan to get any new ones for another few months. They're too nicely broken in.

Cold Pizza

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 07:00:49 AM »
Probably every 3 weeks?  Always Spitfire Classics.  They work great in the park, street, anywhere really...........the perfect grip, slide and feel.

Randozzi

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 07:24:13 AM »
until they flatspot bad enough for me to feel it when i roll on semi-rough ground.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 07:31:25 AM »
My wheels tend not to flatspot as much as they get super tiny. I change them when I'm rolling around on bearing covers.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

spare change

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 07:41:23 AM »

It got these instead of 99's I ordered from a webshop, but I don't know if I should skate them or sell them. I think they're way too hard.

Since it's going colder and less skating outside and more inside, what wheels are recommendable for skating inside?

How are you gonna know if theyre too hard unless you skate them?

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 08:04:54 AM »
I skate wheels until they're coned like crazy and a lot smaller than they started out. Doesn't really bother me if they have chunks missing or minor flatspots. Wheels are the thing I'm least anal about.

I find 99s are a good overall wheel for indoor and out. If you're skating indoors they'll wear a lot less, so when the weather gets nice you can take them to the streets without switching them out.

Hard wheels are not for me.

Stoeipoes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 08:16:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Because my last 4 sets of wheels were bones 100's and I like them because they last lon but 99's skate slightly better.

these are 101's so i'm not too sure about them. If I skate them I can't sell them anymore.

HeavenAndHell

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 10:29:04 AM »
I change my trucks and wheels after 3 or 4  boards, which is a months span. Or unless they wear out faster than usual and I absolutely have to. The trucks and wheels on my board have been on 3 of my set ups, including the one I have on now.

spare change

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 11:19:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Because my last 4 sets of wheels were bones 100's and I like them because they last lon but 99's skate slightly better.

these are 101's so i'm not too sure about them. If I skate them I can't sell them anymore.
1 companies 99 is anothers 101.There is no consistency with anything between brands.I have no doubts theyre hard but I just don't see the big deal in skating a set of wheels.Sell them used for a few bucks and save for another set.Or are you in another country where gear is really spendy? If so I see your predicament.

spare change

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 11:21:11 AM »
I change my trucks and wheels after 3 or 4  boards, which is a months span. Or unless they wear out faster than usual and I absolutely have to. The trucks and wheels on my board have been on 3 of my set ups, including the one I have on now.
I skate my trucks until the axles are so bent or the hangers break.I couldn't handle breaking them in that often.

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -152
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 11:27:41 AM »
Expand Quote
I change my trucks and wheels after 3 or 4?  boards, which is a months span. Or unless they wear out faster than usual and I absolutely have to. The trucks and wheels on my board have been on 3 of my set ups, including the one I have on now.
[close]
I skate my trucks until the axles are so bent or the hangers break.I couldn't handle breaking them in that often.
Indeed, I've been riding my current thunders for like 4 years by now. Breaking trucks in is a bitch, especially because I ride my trucks real loose, so it's fucking hard to get them just the way I like them/got used to them

Stoeipoes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 12:33:22 PM »
Sparechange,

Wheels are ?30 for bones and ?35 for spitfires here. that around $45 dollars I think so that's pretty expensive.

I really don't see a problem skating new wheels, but If my satori wheels are better for street skating I'd like to keep them for when it's getting spring again and buy new wheels that are better for skating indoors.

Randozzi

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
looking forward to skating a set of these in 53 next:

spare change

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 04:57:25 PM »
Sparechange,

Wheels are ?30 for bones and ?35 for spitfires here. that around $45 dollars I think so that's pretty expensive.

I really don't see a problem skating new wheels, but If my satori wheels are better for street skating I'd like to keep them for when it's getting spring again and buy new wheels that are better for skating indoors.
i guess I'm just too lazy to switch things out.I'd rather just adjust to whatever surface I'm skating.But I get your mindset,good luck!

BDY

• Rep: -16
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 10:35:48 PM »
GET SOME SPITFIRES YOU LITTLE BITCH THEY GOT CLASSICS AND STREETBURNERS TAKE YOUR PICK
I WASNT BEFORE AND IM STILL NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH

john04o8

• Rep: -27
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 11:36:03 PM »
inexpensive wheels you recommend ;)

Stoeipoes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »
yeah i´m going to ride them when the weather is getting better and i can go skate outside more often.

But the local indoorpark is pretty slippery so softer wheels are better I think.

DeerTay

• Rep: -5
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 04:04:52 PM »
hey dood. those satoris you got are the best ones we put out when it comes to not getting flatspots. i work for satori and have ridden every kind we make. ride em, give em hell, you won't be disappointed (at least i haven't with the last 3 sets of those i rode)

not trying to shamelessly self promote, just spreading what i know.
You said butt- fucking at :24

Cold Pizza

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 04:53:42 PM »
hey dood. those satoris you got are the best ones we put out when it comes to not getting flatspots. i work for satori and have ridden every kind we make. ride em, give em hell, you won't be disappointed (at least i haven't with the last 3 sets of those i rode)

not trying to shamelessly self promote, just spreading what i know.

Wouldn't doing actually tricks like long lipslides, bluntslides or tailslides be a better test?  Most kids out to get "flat spot resistant" wheels aren't doing 1/2 second power slides down a hump or grabbing onto coping a slowly sliding down a quarter pipe.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 05:06:03 PM »
I keep old school and skate them down till they are at least the size of a household oreo cookie. growing up, I met my dads' friend Brian and he gave me this kick ass think board with "rat bones" on them. I still know him and this guy used to be able to ollie over his fucking car door, but he has been in and out of mental institutes and fell off and got married :( I remember He had given me the board then borrowed it back and that same day he was skating it and some asshole ran it over.

Growing up I really wanted what I called a new school skateboard cause all the ones I had where old school boards, it's been a constant struggle since the age of 9 to keep skating as a part of my life but I love everything about it, even the times I fell cause when I was really down skating saved my ass.

I never get flat spots cause I am a pretty lady and Have aerodynamic hair.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 05:13:42 PM by FrenchFriedClownFingers »
even the steven

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 10:51:03 PM »
I keep old school and skate them down till they are at least the size of a household oreo cookie. growing up, I met my dads' friend Brian and he gave me this kick ass think board with "rat bones" on them. I still know him and this guy used to be able to ollie over his fucking car door, but he has been in and out of mental institutes and fell off and got married :( I remember He had given me the board then borrowed it back and that same day he was skating it and some asshole ran it over.

Growing up I really wanted what I called a new school skateboard cause all the ones I had where old school boards, it's been a constant struggle since the age of 9 to keep skating as a part of my life but I love everything about it, even the times I fell cause when I was really down skating saved my ass.

the combination of this last part and your avatar gave me an uneasy feeling for some reason. and a cool breeze just brushed over my room without any of the windows being open. you wouldnt happen to be Satan would you, french fried clown fingers?

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 10:57:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the combination of this last part and your avatar gave me an uneasy feeling for some reason. and a cool breeze just brushed over my room without any of the windows being open. you wouldnt happen to be Satan would you, french fried clown fingers?

No, but my name is Damien  :D
even the steven

marginal way

• Rep: 51
  • making it happen
    • marginal way website avatar image
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 10:28:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
bones bshings. they break in super fast, and they seem to last forever, so you can just switch them out when you get new trucks. i've had the same set for my last 3 sets of trucks.
i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...
www.marginalwayskatepark.org

twitter- @MWDIY facebook- http://www.facebook.com/mwdiy

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 11:52:02 AM »
I ride my wheels till they are small and yellow.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 08:58:11 AM »
i throw on a new set of wheels every 3rd board i setup. 

SOFT 7

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 09:50:29 AM »
for slippery indoor stuff, I find 95 duro wheels to be the best. way better grip and not too soft. Bones used to have the Ditch formula that were good. PIG does some called Multi Pigs that are nice. Spitfire does a wheel called softers that come in 90,92and95. good shape but chunk out real easy. right now I have some Type-S wheels that are 96a and feel great. then they go on the cruiser when winter is over.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 03:41:42 AM »
im riding these atm

and theyre propper!

but to answer your question i ride my wheels until theyre like 30mm or if they crack as i tend to ride hard wheels on all surfaces and the rougher spots can fuck up wheels when going at speed but they usually last me a good while, and overall it goes like this...

Deck: 2 -3 months if im lucky
Trucks: never "had" to buy new trucks, i only get new ones when my old ones feel weird
Wheels: 4 -5 months