Author Topic: Greenville, NC diy spot getting shut down?  (Read 2357 times)

marginal way

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 51
  • making it happen
    • marginal way website avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Greenville, NC diy spot getting shut down?
« on: November 20, 2010, 12:15:19 PM »
apoligies if abp, but here's another foundation-type spot possibly going down. anyone from the area able to shed any light? the article's pretty vague.

http://www.witn.com/news/headlines/City_Might_Have_To_Destroy_Skateboard_Park_108562099.html
i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...
www.marginalwayskatepark.org

twitter- @MWDIY facebook- http://www.facebook.com/mwdiy

Colin Mann

• Rep: -2
Re: Greenville, NC diy spot getting shut down?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 06:37:33 PM »
yeah,  the locals tried to save it.

(i skate in greenville,nc) this is also the home of lennie kirk.

Beer Wizard

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 07:20:09 PM »
Yeah, I helped build that spot and have skated it like everyday for the past 2 years surprised to see our efforts posted on here.

You can find more info on our facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-the-Jarvis-Spot/155154844527560

marginal way

• making it happen
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 09:07:35 PM »
keep fighting the good fight. they told the og marginal dudes to stop building and that it would be torn out. 5 years later, we're still building.

hope you guys get a new spot or can keep your current one.

i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...

Beer Wizard

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 09:24:32 PM »
Yes, I haven't been the one in contact with the Council members/FEMA etc.  I only contacted and helped get the news stations involved.  But from what my friend has told me it seems as the issue is the location is in "floodway" or something like that and anything in that area has to get approval from multiple government agencies... and we all know how slowly the government works.  From how I see it the spot will be there for a while... until it either gets approval or denial from all sources.  Right now the easiest solution seems to be for them to supply us with a different foundation and allow us to build on it.  If they don't do that we'll just bitch for a legit skatepark that will end up being a bigger problem for both us, the city, and the tax payers.  

I also found it absurd that they would rather spend upwards to $10,000 to $15,000 to demolish the spot instead of just letting it be.

(Note the hilariousness of when Matt is saying how "its not a bunch of junky plywood ramps."  They show an image of some random shitty plastic ramps that we have no idea how they got down there.)

(Note the hilariousness of the toy machine deck face fart)

And finally some skating:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:26:09 PM by nevercomply »

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 07:15:45 AM »
foundation spot in my town has been dead for about a year; does anyone know the steps dudes in Atlanta took to get a park built where "the foundation" used to be?

iliketoskateboardandstuff

• Rep: -10
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 08:58:16 AM »
Going through the system to accomplish anything skate related is an absolute nightmare, I wish these dudes the best of luck and hope that the authorities there have more common sense than I've been experiencing. We've been trying to get a skatepark here for almost 3 years, and all we have to show for it is an $8,500.00 fence (money raised by the skaters that we thought would go to ramps) that the town made us put up around our area, and 2 shitty ARC prefab quarterpipes without metal plates on bottom, so they're unskateable. Go Massachusetts.

marginal way

• making it happen
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 10:20:22 AM »
nevercomply (great name, btw), find out who the guy in the first (non-news) clip's boss is, and go over his head. if you guys have researched all the fema codes and whatnot, and there's really a precedent that makes it a go, there's no reason something can't be done. especially if they're letting people lease those parcels of land... like most civic employees, that guy is going into classic "shut it down before it becomes something i have to deal with" mode. notice he never had any responses other than doubletalk and bullshit.

they guy in the second clip seems pretty cool, though. the guys who actually work and take care of these types of areas are used to seeing bum camps, junkie leftovers, etc there, so when they roll up and see somthing positive, they're usually stoked as hell. you guys just made one less thing for those dudes to have to think about. they know what can and does happen in these disused spaces, and are usually powerful allies. having a few of those guys in your corner are HUGE.

and all the younger kids that skate there? find out what their parents do. i'm betting at least one has a lawyer or city worker of some kind as a parent, uncle, etc....

you guys are in a pretty similar situation as we were in the beginning. just persevere. worst case scenario, you'll have to start over.

Beer Wizard

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 10:39:16 AM »
The thing that pissed me off the most is how that guy tried to use his "I've been trying to get a road built etc" argument as a scapegoat, when the FEMA documentation says nothing about roads.  The FEMA documentation says the the flood lots should be used for recreational areas which I'm pretty sure a free "skatepark" would be considered.  That dude had to know that and expected us not to research it... Either that or he's an idiot.

marginal way

• making it happen
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 11:06:01 AM »
i'd guess a little of both. don't let that guy get you down. you've got the super slow pace of government on your side.

keep building, keep skating, and keep the spot clean.

strangefires

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 12:52:03 PM »
keep fighting it, nevercomply. this wes anderson guy is a total idiot.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 03:04:58 PM »
DIY spots are always the sickest, but are always getting shut down

Beer Wizard

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 03:12:24 PM »
Big thanks to Deluxe for the support!

marginal way

• making it happen
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 11:00:37 PM »
DIY spots are always the sickest, but are always getting shut down

loose lips sink ships. too many kids start a blog and a facebook for their spot the day after they build the first ledge.

keep shit under wraps until you get caught and have to let the cat out of the bag.