Author Topic: DIY boards/graphics  (Read 147342 times)

idealhandmades

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
DIY boards/graphics
« on: November 22, 2010, 11:51:37 AM »
post your homemade graphics/crapics.

This i made for a friend. it was a zip zinger.

this I made from a weird picture of an old friend i found on facebook.

This is for the shop that i ride for that just recently opened up. we were getting sample boards from companies to figure out what to go with for the shop wood. i love getting blanks cause it saves me the trouble of sanding. fuck that, sanding is inevitable because of the clearcoat.

made this little coffee fetcher for the shop. it was a quicky.

Made this for Pharmacy about a year ago when i was still new to town. They said they'd hang it up somewhere. After i dropped it off, I never saw it again. I think it was on a warped bummerhigh deck.  

This is my first woodburned graphic I did. my newest one is of my cat that i posted up in the "post your set-up" thread.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:19:24 AM by sweatercuff »
@idealhandmades

Officer Caruthers

• Rep: 155
Re: DIY boards/graphics
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 12:15:11 PM »
Damn, those are all pretty fucking rad!
The woodburned one with the duck is especially sick!

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 12:42:25 PM »
Thanks Caruthers, as a long time lurker who's finally gotten his account to work, that means a lot. I've always enjoyed your photoshop entries from afar. Wheres your homemades at?
@idealhandmades

Officer Caruthers

• Rep: 155
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 01:56:40 PM »
Damn sweatercuff, I just saw the cat graphic from the other thread. That woodburning technique and your illustration style are both pretty dope. If I saw either of those boards in a shop I would be stoked.

I have a homemade board graphic I'm working on right now. Once it's finished, I'll make sure to post it up in this thread.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 12:39:33 AM »
I once made a deck in shop class as a kid. It was short, ultra steep kicks, no concave, 8-ply, black dipped with blue lightning bolt graphics and I used yellow 40-grit sand paper for grip tape. I learned to ollie on that board.

But sweatercuff, your work is art.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 01:04:01 AM »
Great stuff sweater cuff! Woah, that rhymed!
I don't do much graphics anymore but when I did I kept it really simple (and bland)

ableSkateMag.com

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 09:41:27 AM »
thats a nice backyard assembly line Able. I hope you used that frog stencil to paint your grass in random places to make it look like a plague of amphibians have fallen on to your property.
your Marylin graphic set up reminds me of when i got a bunch of decks for 20 bucks a pop way back in high school when i would scourer the internet trying to find the cheapest deal on blanks and then make a mass order, paint them, and then resell them to kids in my town. I think i made a bunch with unicorns on them, and then i hit a heavy dinosaur phase.
more than a little bummed that i haven't taken a picture of every board I've ever fucked with. It would be cool to see where my designs were at so very long ago.

and BurmSting, 40 Grit!? how long did those shoes last you? It would be hard not to ollie with that abrasive of a topsheet. badass innovation though. Elmers or hot glue?
@idealhandmades

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 12:12:53 PM »
I've considered trying to screen boards but it would be hard to do anything but the middle. You would have to make some custom screen that bent to get the nose and tail i think.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
I've considered trying to screen boards but it would be hard to do anything but the middle. You would have to make some custom screen that bent to get the nose and tail i think.

pretty sure this is the case too. but maybe you should just embrace that and try it with a flat screen anyways. could turn out interesting. maybe like when a fax or copy gets smudged and dragged.
@idealhandmades

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 03:59:12 PM »
just sanded down another old deck. artwork to follow shortly.
@idealhandmades

MrMello

• Rep: 8
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 05:15:08 PM »
thinking about getting some decks from black friday and sanding them down maybe doing so woodburn graphics what do you use to do it? a soldiering iorn?

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 05:40:34 PM »
thinking about getting some decks from black friday and sanding them down maybe doing so woodburn graphics what do you use to do it? a soldiering iorn?

nah man, i used a woodburner. you can find them at art supply stores, they look like a screwdriver with changeable tips that you plug into the wallsocket. i think i got mine for like 8 bucks.
(im pretty sure if you get the right style tips for it, you can rig it out for knife hits too.)
@idealhandmades

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 06:05:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

pretty sure this is the case too. but maybe you should just embrace that and try it with a flat screen anyways. could turn out interesting. maybe like when a fax or copy gets smudged and dragged.
yeah my friend did a screen on his board. it looked okay. I just wonder about ink.

jojo_fosho

• Rep: -2
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 06:58:49 PM »
Those decks are sick man. What Pharmacy did you drop it off to? Im pretty sure I could find out what they did with it

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 11:06:17 PM »
thats a nice backyard assembly line Able. I hope you used that frog stencil to paint your grass in random places to make it look like a plague of amphibians have fallen on to your property.
your Marylin graphic set up reminds me of when i got a bunch of decks for 20 bucks a pop way back in high school when i would scourer the internet trying to find the cheapest deal on blanks and then make a mass order, paint them, and then resell them to kids in my town. I think i made a bunch with unicorns on them, and then i hit a heavy dinosaur phase.
more than a little bummed that i haven't taken a picture of every board I've ever fucked with. It would be cool to see where my designs were at so very long ago.

and BurmSting, 40 Grit!? how long did those shoes last you? It would be hard not to ollie with that abrasive of a topsheet. badass innovation though. Elmers or hot glue?
It was definitely rough as fuck. That board didn't end up seeing much action though. I think I might have given up on skating for a few years at that point and probably threw away most of my old skate stuff when my family moved. I think I used some regular wood glue for the grip tape. This was maybe 16 years ago, so don't really remember it all too well.

My friend at the time also did a white dipped board with this graphic:

spare change

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 11:21:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yeah my friend did a screen on his board. it looked okay. I just wonder about ink.
Its a massive hassle and would only advise it if you have an abundance of time and patience. 

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 01:08:41 AM »
Those decks are sick man. What Pharmacy did you drop it off to? Im pretty sure I could find out what they did with it

the one here in Vegas. some sketchyish stuff apparently has been going down there with changing of hands with owners and stuff, people coming and going, so im not sure you'll be able to track it down, but if you do, you can have it.
that would actually be kinda cool to see someone on here get a board i fucked with. have it change hands a bunch of times.
like a more fun "Flat Stanley"
@idealhandmades

Galletly

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 03:12:26 AM »
Pushing ten years ago now I went through a stencil phase - I did a few boards, but can only find a photo of one. Going for a kinda vintage surf thing I guess:

I remember being conflicted about buying blanks rather than supporting decent companies - but I wanted to paint them myself!

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 03:50:50 AM »
so fucking dope.
@idealhandmades

flapJack

• Rep: 30
  • if you want our remorse,turn your body to a corpse
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 06:48:56 PM »
i painted this board a couple years ago and hung it up.

and this record i painted too. i'd like to do something similar on a board. i no longer have the record, just the pic.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 10:55:37 PM »
endless summer with a little bit of shrooms.
@idealhandmades

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 12:25:17 AM »
That breaking wave on a broken board is pretty sick

Locbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
  • OWWW HAVE MERCY!
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 05:37:28 PM »
I made a graphic a couple of years ago on a blank deck and with some paint pens, it was a straight edge razor on it, it said "The only straight edge I use." I did a 360 flip on a pyramid and it split right down the middle, so it looked like two damn water skis.
Adam Dyet is the black jellybean of skateboarding.

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 08:37:35 AM »
the bombora is tight!!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
Its a massive hassle and would only advise it if you have an abundance of time and patience. 

haha, two things I don't have.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 11:03:19 PM »
any new self made graphics out there?
saw one in the set-up thread, looked pretty cool, then remembered this thread i started.
@idealhandmades

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 04:20:32 PM »

hell yea! sick creations!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 08:00:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

hell yea! sick creations!

jildo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • my blog? avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 01:04:50 PM »
Those are all really good. Particularly the wood burnt one. You are very talented.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 01:27:47 PM »
thanks guys.
I've got a couple old decks now waiting to become new projects, but no inspiration/ideas as of yet.

anybody else out there come up with any new diy graphics?
@idealhandmades

AnklePants

• Rep: -10
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 07:26:30 PM »
when it comes to grip art i have absolutely no inspiration or ideas about what to do.

I would love to customize my board but i don't know how to make such intricate stencils