Author Topic: DIY boards/graphics  (Read 147339 times)

Cosme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: DIY boards/graphics
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2011, 06:40:11 AM »

Great stuff Sweatercuff, specially the one with the arm.
I really like that style of sketch line drawing.

Two years ago I painted a series of blanks that ended handed down as gifts to friends, skated by me (a pair that I didn't like) or sell at the local watering hole. I wish I have more time to spend doing this kind of things.

BTW, acrylic paint + acrylic bright varnish = everslick.

Here are five of them pre-varnish:

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2011, 10:00:57 AM »
here's one I did a while back, bought a blank board because I was broke and my girlfriend and I doodled on it with markers. I was a fan of the end result, next time spending money is low I might try it again, but with paint and more concrete idea.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • sup breh
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2011, 10:09:07 AM »
another shot, minus trucks. I have some detail shots of different sections, too, but I feel like that would be a little unnecessary, haha.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2011, 10:22:11 AM »
Wow, Cosme those look awesome. I'm especially a fan of the text, the thick/thin of your brush handwriting is really nice. I'd fancy the one with the necklace myself (even though i cant speak or read a lick of Spanish)

and Internet daddy, you and your lady's doodles are pretty nice too. good layering, and tastefully leaving the nose-half of the board blank lets it have a nice asymmetrical balance to the whole board.
@idealhandmades

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2011, 01:30:53 PM »

Great stuff Sweatercuff, specially the one with the arm.
I really like that style of sketch line drawing.

Two years ago I painted a series of blanks that ended handed down as gifts to friends, skated by me (a pair that I didn't like) or sell at the local watering hole. I wish I have more time to spend doing this kind of things.

BTW, acrylic paint + acrylic bright varnish = everslick.

Here are five of them pre-varnish:
-Picture-

sooo sick...

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2011, 02:00:28 PM »
Wow, Cosme those look awesome. I'm especially a fan of the text, the thick/thin of your brush handwriting is really nice. I'd fancy the one with the necklace myself (even though i cant speak or read a lick of Spanish)

Much obliged!

The one with the necklace reads: What do you mean by common sense?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:05:28 PM by Cosme »

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • sup breh
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2011, 09:26:50 PM »

and Internet daddy, you and your lady's doodles are pretty nice too. good layering, and tastefully leaving the nose-half of the board blank lets it have a nice asymmetrical balance to the whole board.
Thanks! Glad you liked them. I'm a huge fan of your stuff, can't wait to see some more. I'm thinking of cutting the doodle board down into a cruiser since I saved it after skating it for a while, I'll try to paint something new on it.

but yeah dude, great artwork, I'm a huge fan of the arm, that contour line style is really neat. And cosme, great stuff as well! All of the paintings are really well done, and your lettering has a cool look that really ties everything together. great shit on all counts

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2011, 11:10:47 PM »
Yes, the lettering looks fantastic Cosme
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2011, 11:52:14 PM »

^ Wow, thanks for all your comments about the lettering. I feel flattered.

Sweatercuff, keep us posted on how the impromptu contest turn out and the new boards for the cabinet once you get around to finish it.

And InternetDaddy, that really seems an enough concrete idea stylewise. Do you think you could post a detailed closer shot?
Congrats to you and your Lady!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:54:41 PM by Cosme »

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • sup breh
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2011, 07:42:30 AM »

^ Wow, thanks for all your comments about the lettering. I feel flattered.

Sweatercuff, keep us posted on how the impromptu contest turn out and the new boards for the cabinet once you get around to finish it.

And InternetDaddy, that really seems an enough concrete idea stylewise. Do you think you could post a detailed closer shot?
Congrats to you and your Lady!

Thanks man! Here ya go. This is a closeup of the tail, the hamsa and all the faces there were done by the ladyfriend

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • sup breh
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2011, 07:45:15 AM »
Here's another, towards the top of the board. I think these are the only two closer ones I saved. Sorry for the image limit doublepost! in this one my girlfriend did the skull with the feathers, and the rest of the characters are mine.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2011, 10:37:16 AM »
Just got back from a shop meeting. Cabinet contest is happening memorial day, in conjunction with the shop having a little tye-dye and bbq event. Should have a cool little montage to post up shortly there after.
@idealhandmades

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • sup breh
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2011, 12:32:41 PM »
Just got back from a shop meeting. Cabinet contest is happening memorial day, in conjunction with the shop having a little tye-dye and bbq event. Should have a cool little montage to post up shortly there after.

that's awesome man, congrats!

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2011, 10:29:12 AM »
So heres the most recent updates on my projects. None of them are even halfway through being done, but I am treading lightly as to not overwork them

far left, I've titled Braints. ya got your brain tubes, you got your ants, ya know, thoughts and stuff. As for whats left to add to it, I was thinking about making a "paper doll chain"-esque design of modelT Fords near the bottom of the black, and a variety of pipe fittings or something at the top.
The middle one, KnotHungry, I was thinking about just ink stamping the words "loss of appetite" in the lower half of the board. I kinda already know thats not gonna be enough for me to feel like its finished, but at least it'll be another step towards it.

and the cruiser on the far right I just shaped out in my garage a minute ago. I think this one is going to be my favorite board I've made in a while, cause it's gonna be a project i work on with my Dad. He works and is a guru in the carpet cleaning and installation industry, so I'm gonna see what he thinks about putting some carpet grip on to the topsheet (Habitat has their cork, alien's got that dope new pingpong paddle rubber, etc...) I've heard of kids using carpet scraps as "grip" before, so I'm looking forward to my Dad's expertise to make this the most legit, yet still kinda goofy, flying carpet ever.
and yes, the whole "flying carpet" theme is probably what the bottom graphic will reflect.
@idealhandmades

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2011, 10:40:11 AM »
that cruiser-thingy sounds so sick.

the rest too. big ups!

The Pinkman

• Rep: 1
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2011, 12:27:51 PM »
I once made a deck in shop class as a kid. It was short, ultra steep kicks, no concave, 8-ply, black dipped with blue lightning bolt graphics and I used yellow 40-grit sand paper for grip tape. I learned to ollie on that board.

But sweatercuff, your work is art.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • sup breh
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2011, 05:00:35 PM »
So heres the most recent updates on my projects. None of them are even halfway through being done, but I am treading lightly as to not overwork them

far left, I've titled Braints. ya got your brain tubes, you got your ants, ya know, thoughts and stuff. As for whats left to add to it, I was thinking about making a "paper doll chain"-esque design of modelT Fords near the bottom of the black, and a variety of pipe fittings or something at the top.
The middle one, KnotHungry, I was thinking about just ink stamping the words "loss of appetite" in the lower half of the board. I kinda already know thats not gonna be enough for me to feel like its finished, but at least it'll be another step towards it.

and the cruiser on the far right I just shaped out in my garage a minute ago. I think this one is going to be my favorite board I've made in a while, cause it's gonna be a project i work on with my Dad. He works and is a guru in the carpet cleaning and installation industry, so I'm gonna see what he thinks about putting some carpet grip on to the topsheet (Habitat has their cork, alien's got that dope new pingpong paddle rubber, etc...) I've heard of kids using carpet scraps as "grip" before, so I'm looking forward to my Dad's expertise to make this the most legit, yet still kinda goofy, flying carpet ever.
and yes, the whole "flying carpet" theme is probably what the bottom graphic will reflect.
those all look really tight, but that flying carpet idea is pure gold. Definitely post your progress on that one!

MrMello

• Rep: 8
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2011, 04:34:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
those all look really tight, but that flying carpet idea is pure gold. Definitely post your progress on that one!
That cut on the cruiser is super clean. I dig the flying carpet idea. The other two also look really sick.

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2011, 07:23:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[...] I'm gonna see what he thinks about putting some carpet grip on to the [...] and yes, the whole "flying carpet" theme is probably what the bottom graphic will reflect.

[close]
[close]
That cut on the cruiser is super clean. I dig the flying carpet idea. The other two also look really sick.

Since the top is going to be carpet I'll definitely draw a thread like pattern, like the bottom of an actual carpet...  ;D

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2011, 06:15:32 PM »
Sweatercuff, your boards are awesome.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2011, 10:30:45 PM »
thanks guys.
I wanna see more people posting up in this thing though. show what you got, and if you got nothing, get some!
@idealhandmades

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2011, 10:38:32 AM »

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:08:58 AM by sweatercuff »
@idealhandmades

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2011, 11:27:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[...] I'm gonna see what he thinks about putting some carpet grip on to the [...] and yes, the whole "flying carpet" theme is probably what the bottom graphic will reflect.

[close]
[close]
[close]

Since the top is going to be carpet I'll definitely draw a thread like pattern, like the bottom of an actual carpet...  ;D

am I reading this correctly? you'll give me a drawing to use for one of my boards? cause that would be awesome.

I have to say though, over the past 24 hours, I've been reconsidering the whole "flying carpet" thing, for maybe going in the "carpet bomber" idea. it helps that the actual shape of the cruise kinda resembles a bomb (I also had to cut out a new shape from another board, due to the old one turning out to be warped. kinda bummed i wont get to make something out of it to be sold, but then again, I was looking to make a new piece for my walls, so all isn't lost...)
@idealhandmades

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2011, 12:48:03 PM »
Guess im left to blowin up my own thread again. here a shitty photobooth shot of the newest deck im working on.

@idealhandmades

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2011, 02:33:01 PM »
Expand Quote

Since the top is going to be carpet I'll definitely draw a thread like pattern, like the bottom of an actual carpet...  ;D
[close]

am I reading this correctly? you'll give me a drawing to use for one of my boards? cause that would be awesome.

Oops, I'm so sorry... my english is so sketchy that I got one of those 'false friends': 'Definetely' doesn't mean Definitivamente wich is the same term in Spanish even though they don't share the same literal meaning.

But, believe me, if I had the time I'll definetely be more than pleased to draw something for one of your boards. DIY collabo...

Either way, those 'Knot Hungry' and 'Braint' boards look amazing.
How did you do the Cabinets and the edition number on the top ply? I guess it's pyrography but I wonder if there's another way.
I'm also curious about how you will finish that last one. Please, keep us posted.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:40:07 PM by Cosme »

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2011, 03:54:58 PM »
I took the 30 second approach to making this graphic a while back.  Still digging it.  I think my feelings really come through with the hand lettering.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2011, 10:14:46 PM »
cosme, yeah i used the good ol' woodburner to make the cabinet illustrations and the "edition numbers" even though 99% of everything im gonna make for the cabinet will be a 1/1 piece.

and joust Ostrich, that looks so fucking awesome. i agree about the lettering, fits perfectly with the gesture. awesome colors too, pea soup green on a purple ply.

I'll have the next stage of that new graphic at somepoint early on tomorrow.

edit: here it is. the stampmasking turned out a little different from what I expected, but I kinda dig it. couple more additions and this one'll be done.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:13:26 AM by sweatercuff »
@idealhandmades

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2011, 03:47:05 PM »
Finally finished it. final materials used are spray paint, ink and stamps, sharpie, woodstain, masking tape and pencil.
Heres a couple of pictures of this special lady poolside.

@idealhandmades

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2011, 05:47:35 PM »
Dude sweatercuff, you're stuff is amazing! I'm really diggin it!
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2011, 08:16:43 PM »
Sweatercuff, I want one of your boards!