Author Topic: DIY boards/graphics  (Read 147337 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
Re: DIY boards/graphics
« Reply #690 on: June 15, 2017, 06:25:41 PM »
Those look sick, the smudges in the lettering, purposefully or not, look so good.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #691 on: June 16, 2017, 12:53:21 AM »
That Zodiac killer graphic is awesome!!!
Killer job dude!
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #692 on: June 16, 2017, 08:43:21 AM »
So I got me a box of blanks and have been back at it with the digital printer.

Dude!  That is sick!  What type of fabric printer are you using?  I totally want to look into doing this.  This is great!  Do you clear coat the board after putting the print on it?  Does it smear easily otherwise?
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

thespacewolf

• Rep: 10
« Reply #693 on: June 16, 2017, 12:03:29 PM »
Thanks man! I'm stoked on them. So I printed these on a digital garment printer. I usually just print shirts, but I kind of hacked the machine to print on boards. It's by no means perfect, namely due to the concavity of the deck, but I'm having my fun.
Thats crazy, always wanted a garment printer. I'm still really confused on how you hacked it to print boards haha

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #694 on: June 16, 2017, 04:21:49 PM »
So I'm using a modified Epson R3000 printer. Its a DTG machine, so it has a conveyer belt feed with a metal platent on it that holds shirts. With a little bit of experience, I saw I could make my own platents, so I rigged together an adapter that skateboards  kind of lay on. The biggest issue is that the printer only has a two-dimensional range, so when the board dips away from the print head, the spray diffuses, hence the fuzzy look around the edges. I'm also limited to 17" length so all the graphics have to be basically centered.
Stoked you guys are digging them. Its a learning experience.

Heres a new one

As far as the final product goes, I dont clear coat them. No smears or anything. Once the ink dries (I'm using water based inks and good old Southern California sunlight to dry them) they're no different feeling than any other graphic.
I want to try stripping the shiny varnish off the next run, to see if it bleeds less. Maybe the ink will sink into the wood better, rather than pooling on top.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 04:57:18 PM by El Chupacabra »

thespacewolf

« Reply #695 on: June 16, 2017, 05:50:38 PM »
Definitely keep us updated, are you limited to one color or multiple?
I'm into screen printing and printing in general, so I'm currently in awe of everything haha

I've been researching different epson printers and alot im seeing are somewhat DIYs, did yours come ready to print on garments or did you have to make a rig yourself?

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #696 on: June 18, 2017, 02:08:10 PM »
made this one a few months ago

What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

sam monky

• Rep: 0
« Reply #697 on: June 30, 2017, 04:53:23 PM »
lookin to buy uncut blanks, found this site http://skatepaige.com/blank-skateboard-deck/skateboard-catalog.html#decks
anyone know if they're blanks are any good / any other places to check out? only looking to buy like 3-5 blanks, so not rlly looking for anything wholesale

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #698 on: June 30, 2017, 06:08:34 PM »
If you really just want a couple to fuck around with buy the creature one, if you wait around for a good sale code you could probably get it mad cheap

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Creature_DIY_Kit_15wb_Deck/descpage-CED15DK.html

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #699 on: October 09, 2017, 01:29:25 PM »
lookin to buy uncut blanks, found this site http://skatepaige.com/blank-skateboard-deck/skateboard-catalog.html#decks
anyone know if they're blanks are any good / any other places to check out? only looking to buy like 3-5 blanks, so not rlly looking for anything wholesale
I just bought a few to have some boards with a longer wheelbase.  Haven't skated any but the wood seems sturdy.  Just finished cutting/sanding a shape out and really hyped on it:

It's 9"x33" with a 15" wheelbase and 7.25" nose and tail(symmetric)
All you got is today, get out and skate.

El Chupacabra

« Reply #700 on: October 11, 2017, 01:56:43 PM »
That cutout is sick. What did you use to cut it?
I tried using a bandsaw for one and the maple just ate the blade alive. Im more of a printer and less of a carpenter though.

Since this thread has come alive again, heres some recent stuff. Screenprint ink on various bases (mostly spraypaint)

If you guys want blanks, send me a message, might be able to work something out.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #701 on: October 11, 2017, 02:27:28 PM »
Teal stained boards might just be my favorite bottom ply ever

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #702 on: October 16, 2017, 05:01:00 PM »
DIY lords, el chup, ideal handmades.  Anyone else for that matter.

I'm thinking of re staining a coloured bottom ply and then clear coating.  I'm im two minds of my boards lately whether to go wood grain or black out spray so i thought combine to two and use an ebony wood stain.

anyone tried this or something similar? i'm thinking i'll try it over a green stain one i have laying around because green bottom plies are bothering me lately

Any tips or forewarnings are appreciated

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #703 on: October 16, 2017, 09:39:51 PM »
not sure if i ever posted these but like a year ago i tried drawing some basic graphics with some paint pens, my handwriting is shit so it turned out goofy.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #704 on: October 16, 2017, 10:00:16 PM »

I'm thinking of re staining a coloured bottom ply and then clear coating.  I'm im two minds of my boards lately whether to go wood grain or black out spray so i thought combine to two and use an ebony wood stain.

anyone tried this or something similar? i'm thinking i'll try it over a green stain one i have laying around because green bottom plies are bothering me lately

are you going to skate it? asking because it depends how you want it to finish..get a medium to fine grit sandpaper (old grip works great actually) the more you sand it down, the better the stain will soak the wood but ive over sanded and the shape got all wonky and i couldn't ride it..then when finished just spray a light coat of polyeurathane to give it a nice finish. . i personally don't like color spray painting my decks cuz they don't slide (probably cuz im buying he wrong type of spray paint)

in short: sand first, stain, spray clear to finish
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:03:21 PM by straight »
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #705 on: October 16, 2017, 11:59:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

are you going to skate it? asking because it depends how you want it to finish..get a medium to fine grit sandpaper (old grip works great actually) the more you sand it down, the better the stain will soak the wood but ive over sanded and the shape got all wonky and i couldn't ride it..then when finished just spray a light coat of polyeurathane to give it a nice finish. . i personally don't like color spray painting my decks cuz they don't slide (probably cuz im buying he wrong type of spray paint)

Thanks, so far so good with this wood stain i got. ill give it the same level of clear i used to finish off my last couple untouched boards, hoping the new stain doesnt bleed through

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #706 on: October 17, 2017, 12:34:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks, so far so good with this wood stain i got. ill give it the same level of clear i used to finish off my last couple untouched boards, hoping the new stain doesnt bleed through
I tried staining a natural woodgrain blank with an ebony stain once.  I didn't work. I don't think I sanded it enough, and it just ended up being a giant sticky mess.
you never know about pre-cum 

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #707 on: January 09, 2018, 03:01:52 PM »
Bumping this again with a new theory, El Chup, sweatercuff, whoever else has done some board runs. have you guys ever messed with 2 pack spray clears? i know it's pretty tough stuff but i found one in a spray can and was thinking it could end up like a halfway everslick

i'm gonna try it anyway, just wanted to see if there was some heads up i might need to know prior to

El Chupacabra

« Reply #708 on: January 10, 2018, 07:39:40 AM »
Huh, never heard of a two part spray, sounds cool though. In theory, depending on how thick it is, it could work.
Try it, see what happens!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #709 on: January 10, 2018, 09:51:44 AM »
Anyone have any idea if normal alkyd spray paint for the base and acrylic paint for the details are good for painting a deck? Will both slide normally? I'm looking to doing some custom graphics on some decks. Only done shit on griptape with acrylic paint before and that at least works out nicely if you don't put it too thick in there.

El Chupacabra

« Reply #710 on: May 28, 2018, 11:10:41 AM »
Bump!

At it again, silkscreen ink on decks. Not screened, stamped.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #711 on: September 20, 2018, 07:52:28 AM »
Hey guys, I haven't posted here in a while.
I'm sure there are some boards ive made that I didn't get around to putting up here since last time, but these are my most recent creations. To see all my stuff check out my instagram (@idealhandmades)

I'm getting ready to move to southern Oregon, so in addition to purging myself of unnecessary clutter, I've been cutting down old boards into cruisers.
Nick at Scum Co's got some appropriately sized trucks that I'll be buying for them as soon as I'm settled into my new place and have a reliable mailing address
(I've already got the wisemen & the monkey mini fully set up though, but that one's mine and not for sale.)

@idealhandmades

rochambo

• Rep: 2
    • rochambo avatar image
« Reply #712 on: September 20, 2018, 09:33:48 AM »
Screened a bunch of these about a week ago. 10 screens.

instagram: @rochambo

El Chupacabra

« Reply #713 on: September 20, 2018, 01:19:11 PM »
Woah thats fuckin sick.
Coming out swinging!

I really want to screen some decks. Tell me more about these.

thespacewolf

« Reply #714 on: September 20, 2018, 02:55:04 PM »
thats insane, i would buy one if you were selling them!

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #715 on: September 20, 2018, 07:07:57 PM »
damn Ro, while I despise the subject matter, I love the look of those especially some of the ones mid process and still missing some layers. very clean for also being so detailed, and 10 screens is no joke, you've got some serious work ethic.
@idealhandmades

rochambo

• rochambo avatar image
« Reply #716 on: September 21, 2018, 11:05:35 AM »
Thanks all!

I was printing gigposters when i finally retrieved my childhood Vision Gator from the depths of my mom's basement. I looked at it and thought "I can do that". Six years later here we are. This was the first time I had printed a run and put them up for sale. People liked them. I was stoked. So i'll have more boards available in two weeks.

I've been doing restorations of 80's boards you can view on my site: rochambostudios.com

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #717 on: September 21, 2018, 07:25:22 PM »
id love to see your press setup
fuckin 10 screens christ dude

also-dope to see more idealhandmades again! always a treat

Switch_fsflip_noseslide

• Rep: -27
  • Nobody steals from Creed Bratton
« Reply #718 on: September 22, 2018, 04:17:18 PM »
https://instagram.com/leftoversk8hermit?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=wfcyhz33n14r

If you're into shaped boards, this guy bangs out some crazy shit. Also uses wood block prints for most of the graphics.
"Giovanni Reda sleeps with the fishes"

rochambo

• rochambo avatar image
« Reply #719 on: October 09, 2018, 10:51:32 AM »
More screen printed shenanigans.

Printed on Budweiser brown and Heineken green. lol.

Brett "The Keg" Kavanaugh