Author Topic: Official One In A Million 2010 Thread  (Read 277600 times)

Choad Muskrat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Official One In A Million 2010 Thread (ep. 9)
« Reply #1080 on: December 22, 2010, 08:45:47 AM »
just watched episode 8 and 9, these videos are awesome, slap is killing it with this series

that photo of the 50-50 over while other dude ollied is pretty epic

I thought forrest might have had something for that bank to ledge spot, but his ender made up for it. it's kinda easy to see him not winning even though he's busting the best shit down stuff.

I'm sure the parameters of the contest have something to do with well-roundednes. Whiteley? What exactly are the parameters?

Anyways who gives a fuck who wins, they all win from all this exposure.

Joe Pesci

« Reply #1081 on: December 22, 2010, 09:19:59 AM »
and we all win from watching forrest

kappin

« Reply #1082 on: December 22, 2010, 09:21:05 AM »
It upsets me that everyone, including Whiteley, consistently makes too much of this kid. He's not some evil genius, skateboard antihero mastermind, and he's not some tortured skateboard genius. He's just really, really stupid. I'd wager a guess that most everyone in his immediate family and neighborhood is pretty unintelligent as well. Stupid people tend to make themselves look stupid, especially when placed in front of a camera, as he has done repeatedly.
In this case, the stupid is coupled, unfortunately, with being really, really good at skateboarding. Skateboarders tend to make him something he isn't because we'd all of course like to think that one cannot become amazing at skateboarding if he is also an idiot, which, also unfortunately, is false. Everyone knows what happens when you put really talented and really stupid together. You either get a complete knobhead asshole, or a reflexively politee goof. So basically, you either get Forrest Edwards or Forest Gump.

Joe Pesci

« Reply #1083 on: December 22, 2010, 09:27:20 AM »
or forrest gumpwards

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #1084 on: December 22, 2010, 09:36:48 AM »
Forrest may be not be the most well-rounded skateboarder but he is fucking good at what he skates, I see nothing wrong with that. I mean, almost everyone is an ATV ripper now, but it's like saying Peter Hewitt isn't that good of a skater be he only skates transition

Chris P. Bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • CA All Day
« Reply #1085 on: December 22, 2010, 09:37:29 AM »
heard forrest threeflip grinded clipper.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #1086 on: December 22, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »
It upsets me that everyone, including Whiteley, consistently makes too much of this kid. He's not some evil genius, skateboard antihero mastermind, and he's not some tortured skateboard genius. He's just really, really stupid. I'd wager a guess that most everyone in his immediate family and neighborhood is pretty unintelligent as well. Stupid people tend to make themselves look stupid, especially when placed in front of a camera, as he has done repeatedly.
In this case, the stupid is coupled, unfortunately, with being really, really good at skateboarding. Skateboarders tend to make him something he isn't because we'd all of course like to think that one cannot become amazing at skateboarding if he is also an idiot, which, also unfortunately, is false. Everyone knows what happens when you put really talented and really stupid together. You either get a complete knobhead asshole, or a reflexively politee goof. So basically, you either get Forrest Edwards or Forest Gump.

sir, you are stupid - and racist.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1087 on: December 22, 2010, 09:41:57 AM »
Quote from: daniel �link=topic=48687.msg1336528#msg1336528 date=1293033033
we getting a new one today?

the plan was yes, but there was some problem with the file export which may delay it until tomorrow. the guy with all the drives is on a plane from the east coast (where the editing is happening) to the west coast right now, so we can't access the episodes. if we can get it fixed without having to re-export ,it will go up today, if not it'll be tomorrow morning. nothing coming for friday as it's christmas eve, then a new one coming monday-- it's a long one and will be the only one going up for next week.

I'm sure the parameters of the contest have something to do with well-roundednes. Whiteley? What exactly are the parameters?

there were no binding legal parameters drawn up for selection, but tricks, style, attitude and overall approach are all components, in varying degrees of importance and priority. how's that for vague?

I'd wager a guess that most everyone in his immediate family and neighborhood is pretty unintelligent as well.

everybody in his family and town are unintelligent? that's a pretty bold guesstimation to make.

kappin

« Reply #1088 on: December 22, 2010, 09:50:52 AM »
everybody in his family and town are unintelligent? that's a pretty bold guesstimation to make.

Why? Intelligence is influenced tremendously by heredity and the environment where a kid grows up. Dumbasses don't just pop out of no where. People reflect their environments. Besides, I said most, immediate, and neighborhood, don't change the wording to make it sound more outlandish, it really isn't.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 09:52:37 AM by kapp patel »

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #1089 on: December 22, 2010, 09:55:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why? Intelligence is influenced tremendously by heredity and the environment where a kid grows up. Dumbasses don't just pop out of no where. People reflect their environments. Besides, I said most, immediate, and neighborhood, don't change the wording to make it sound more outlandish, it really isn't.
man, you are really stupid
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

SouthJersey

• Rep: -36
« Reply #1090 on: December 22, 2010, 09:55:46 AM »

CaptainMorganFreeman

• Rep: 45
    • proskates.com avatar image
« Reply #1091 on: December 22, 2010, 09:56:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

sir, you are stupid - and racist.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
man, you are really stupid

kappin

« Reply #1092 on: December 22, 2010, 10:12:45 AM »
No point to make? Call them stupid without making any point. And of course I'm a troll, everyone on this board is a troll

CaptainMorganFreeman

• Rep: 45
    • proskates.com avatar image
« Reply #1093 on: December 22, 2010, 10:16:16 AM »
No point to make? Call them stupid without making any point. And of course I'm a troll, everyone on this board is a troll

no i was just mostly shocked by your assertion that everyone in his immediate neighborhood and family was stupid, ignoring strong indication of racism on your part.. how can you even begin to assume that?

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #1094 on: December 22, 2010, 10:20:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

no i was just mostly shocked by your assertion that everyone in his immediate neighborhood and family was stupid, ignoring strong indication of racism on your part.. how can you even begin to assume that?
pretty much this

you don't know this kid, his family, or anything about his background and you spew some ol' bullshit like it's fact all because you don't like him
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

kappin

« Reply #1095 on: December 22, 2010, 10:31:54 AM »
It's actually giving Forrest a pretty big benefit of the doubt to assume there is a reason for his stupidity. His environment was probably a pretty big influence on him, which actually makes me feel for him a little tiny bit more instead of just hating him. And it's just fucking regular to say that there are any implications having anything to do with race about that. Of course I knew people would think that, but it's not even worth addressing. Also, you yourself are probably making the assumption that I'm white, which I'm not.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #1096 on: December 22, 2010, 10:33:44 AM »
How exactly is he stupid? or any stupider than the rest of the losers on the show?

negro

« Reply #1097 on: December 22, 2010, 10:38:57 AM »
wheres episode 10!!!!!

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #1098 on: December 22, 2010, 10:42:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There are definitely exception to the rules on both sides. I grew up in the burbs and one of my friends that had the nicest parents and a pretty decent childhood upbringing ended up being a drug dealer and has been in jail for the last 8 years or so. And I know people that grew up in bad parts in the Bay Area (Richmond) and they went off to a 4 year college and are making a decent living to this day. Surroundings only plays a part in certain people's upbringing but there are so much more to it like parenting, money, friends, schooling, etc. I am sure there is a reason why Forrest is the way he is but it's a touchy subject to assume when you don't know.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #1099 on: December 22, 2010, 10:42:57 AM »
forrest is not stupid, or at least i would not classify him as such. he may have a different set of social norms than many other people, but that doesn't necessarily reflect his intelligence. and as to whether you are white or not, that makes no difference-- you have to be white to be racist?

kappin

« Reply #1100 on: December 22, 2010, 10:46:13 AM »
COTG, how about his speech and mannerisms? I'd say those are some pretty good indicators. Forrest regularly does and says really stupid ass shit. And you know what they say, if it quacks like a duck, it's a duck. I know his personality and intelligence as well as is possible from watching a few interview webclips, and he seems like a dumbass. I'd be happy to go find some examples, but it probably wouldn't matter, I'm pretty familiar with your posts.  

jackherer

« Reply #1101 on: December 22, 2010, 10:47:52 AM »
COTG, how about his speech and mannerisms? I'd say those are some pretty good indicators. Forrest regularly does and says really stupid ass shit. And you know what they say, if it quacks like a duck, it's a duck. I know his personality and intelligence as well as is possible from watching a few interview webclips, and he seems like a dumbass. I'd be happy to go find some examples, but it probably wouldn't matter, I'm pretty familiar with your posts.  

oh man you are one elitist douche

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1102 on: December 22, 2010, 10:50:46 AM »
This is what's wrong with you clowns. Just because someone doesn't speak proper english doesn't make them stupid. You have to looks at the concepts and ideas that are conveyed in what they say. You're the type of clown that can't see the forrest for the trees. From what I've seen he's way smarter than most of the dudes on there. He realizes that saying thank you all the time doesn't make you nice, and he was the only one that realized that the bar rueben kickflipped over was actually really low.

jackherer

« Reply #1103 on: December 22, 2010, 10:53:43 AM »
This is what's wrong with you clowns. Just because someone doesn't speak proper english doesn't make them stupid. You have to looks at the concepts and ideas that are conveyed in what they say. You're the type of clown that can't see the forrest for the trees. From what I've seen he's way smarter than most of the dudes on there. He realizes that saying thank you all the time doesn't make you nice, and he was the only one that realized that the bar rueben kickflipped over was actually really low.

lol was that a pun? if so i laughed.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:56:09 AM by jackherer »

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #1104 on: December 22, 2010, 10:55:50 AM »
Boiltheocean posted this earlier today.

**I have yet to watch a single episode of this because I just haven't had the time.  I'm now curious since BTO posted about.

Is Forrest Edwards The Reality-TV Villain We?ve Been Waiting For?

Pity the eventual winner of Slap Magazine?s ?One In A Million? contest, for this lucky young man will forever be doomed to push in the long, unsmiling shadow cast by Forrest Edwards, the switchstancer from Riverside who almost immediately cemented a position as the breakout character from what has become a sort of ?America?s Next Top Flow Kid.? Aged 18 or 19 years and already a master of the lefthanded compliment, Forrest Edwards is estimated by scholars to have come of age right around January 8, 2004, when a younger and more tender U.S. populace met and introduced itself to a onetime political consultant named Omarosa Manigault-Stallworth, villainess of Donald Trump?s initial run of ?The Apprentice.? A lesson told in nine weeks: negative attitude, abrasive behavior and ?not here to make friends? mindset buys notoriety that is worth its weight in American Idol text-messages.

Mango, the free-spirited ditch skater with the bad haircut, does not make Forrest Edwards laugh. Switch backside heelflipping a solid set of stairs does not crack his lips into a smile. Cigarette dangling dangerously from his mouth, Forrest Edwards broods and bides his time on those occasions when a handrail, double-set or ledge is not within reach. He?s not sorry that he broke Daryl Angel?s deck and transition is for old people and those intent on wasting an opportunity to carve out a piece of the lucrative sponsorship pie. He knows the names of the forgotten reality TV gods like Puck and Richard Hatch who long ago painted on television?s cave-walls the arcane lore, if you are not on-screen, you at least ought to be spoken of, and damn the consequences.

The web-evolution of the ?One In A Million? contest has birthed a camera-ready series that, with a bit more coverage of after-hours chill/party sessions, could stand alongside all your ?America?s Next Top Models? or ?Real World Road Rules Challenges? in terms of painfully earnest moments of self-realization, product placement and shoehorned-in celeb cameos. In Forrest Edwards they have an Omarosa figure in spades, as he explains how he makes it all look so easy while making a run at being skating?s most divisive figure of 2010 ? a tall order against the likes of Jereme Rogers, Brian Wenning, Antwuan Dixon and Shane O?Neill.

But do our times call for a Forrest Edwards? Following a decade marked by the rise of the Tilt Mode, Daewon Song?s goofy genius, assorted Jackassery and the Odd Couple stylings of Rob and Big, might Forrest Edwards? unshakeable discontent be an antidote for too much fun? Dead-eyed and silent, Forrest Edwards seems to look upon a skateboard as a tool useful for proving his worth Mark Whiteley, his OIAM rivals and the world in general, comfortable with the sexual orientation of his go-to tricks and equally at ease when doling out quotables or bigspin-flipping stairs. Our nation?s economic house of credit cards in shambles and the prospect of a long economic slog ahead, Forrest Edwards? single-minded fixation upon the prize serves to remind us that none of this is a game, that he is not playing around, even when brazenly choosing not to skate at any given time and instead offer advice on personal conduct or a balanced diet.

Tags: being fired, Donald Trump, Forrest Edwards, fruit, go-to tricks, Johnny Knoxville, Mark Whiteley, Omarosa Manigault-Stallworth, One In A Million, Riverside, rough ground, Slap, the Apprentice
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:02:26 AM by SFblah »

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
« Reply #1105 on: December 22, 2010, 10:56:19 AM »
I missed the episode where everyone took the SATs.

pekkaaa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #1106 on: December 22, 2010, 10:59:47 AM »
I really look forward to Barletta being the guest pro, I predict him and Mango will have a good chemistry right away!

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1107 on: December 22, 2010, 10:59:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

lol was that a pun? if so i laughed.
i say that all the time. I didn't even realize it was kind of one until i posted it.

kappin

« Reply #1108 on: December 22, 2010, 11:07:15 AM »
COTG, I'm not gonna debate you any more. I've made my point and it stands. I've seen how you post, you're the best troll I've ever seen and I know I won't win against you no matter how dumb the underlying points of your arguments are (Forrest expressing greater ideas through his misunderstanding of the meaning of English words and by hating on other people's skating). And your arguments ARE wrong, but I know I'd never win against you so it's not really worth it. You have trolling down to a science.

Whiteley, I'm sure you know him better than I do. But what I've seen of him is the OIAM episodes, and he comes off as a stupid, arrogant, ignorant child. You can't honestly feel that you wouldn't have the same impression after watching those episodes and seeing nothing else of Forrest so don't give me that shit. Also, no, I'm not implying that you have to be white to be racist. I just know that kid was assuming I'm some white suburban kid who knows nothing about growing up in a bad neighborhood.

Also, sorry I'm super slow to reply, my connection is insanely faulty and slow.

SouthJersey

• Rep: -36
« Reply #1109 on: December 22, 2010, 11:09:29 AM »
COTG, I'm not gonna debate you any more. I've made my point and it stands. I've seen how you post, you're the best troll I've ever seen and I know I won't win against you no matter how dumb the underlying points of your arguments are (Forrest expressing greater ideas through his misunderstanding of the meaning of English words and by hating on other people's skating). And your arguments ARE wrong, but I know I'd never win against you so it's not really worth it. You have trolling down to a science.

Whiteley, I'm sure you know him better than I do. But what I've seen of him is the OIAM episodes, and he comes off as a stupid, arrogant, ignorant child. You can't honestly feel that you wouldn't have the same impression after watching those episodes and seeing nothing else of Forrest so don't give me that shit. Also, no, I'm not implying that you have to be white to be racist. I just know that kid was assuming I'm some white suburban kid who knows nothing about growing up in a bad neighborhood.

Also, sorry I'm super slow to reply, my connection is insanely faulty and slow.
 ? 
Get off SLAP, dont you have phones to answer for Customer Service?