Author Topic: $40 pro tech decks  (Read 1018 times)

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
$40 pro tech decks
« on: February 12, 2023, 08:59:25 AM »
https://youtu.be/WegKsVBaqTo
I fingerboard at work on my downtime so I’m basically their target market. Seem like a good deal. I wonder if target carries em haha.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Jebediah

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 111
Re: $40 pro tech decks
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 11:03:30 AM »
I was shopping for a finger board in December and was surprised how many "high end" options are available on Amazon. It would be cool to hear from someone experienced with them on a good one to get, $40 is a little steep for a fingerboard imo.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 12:08:58 PM »
Damn I think I paid 30 to get my brother a nice Henry gartland finger board and the quality was certainly there but I can't imagine paying even more for the tech deck brand

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 01:13:24 PM »
I fart around with a basic one because I liked the graphic, but every time I see a video about fingerboarding I can't process how they do that, then I remember that I'm an idiot and I do it with an actual skateboard.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 01:41:41 PM »
I was shopping for a finger board in December and was surprised how many "high end" options are available on Amazon. It would be cool to hear from someone experienced with them on a good one to get, $40 is a little steep for a fingerboard imo.

I posted about this once before but a couple of months ago this kooky BMXer who also frequently shows up with a unicycle to the skatepark came up to me to show me his fancy new fingerboard. I can't remember the brand but it had a font that was clearly a rip off of the Chocolate script. I'm pretty sure just the trucks themselves were like $40 and they have urethane wheels and real tiny little bearings and all that. The trucks were really wide. He said they have an even wider model but he doesn't like it... I recall looking them up and the really wide ones are total chode dimensions. Can't find it anymore now though but there's lots of other similar shit out there at high price points

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 02:46:30 PM »
Kinda sick.

I was really into fingerboards when I was a teenager. Used to have sponsors and film video parts, making edits in windows movie maker. The scene was kinda sick, it was very DIY. People would build their own obstacles and stuff. I Even got into making decks for a point.

Back then boards were usually $5-10. I looked into it a couple years ago and was surprised at how far it’s come. Full on completes selling for $100+. Quality looks really good though and I guess it makes sense with the ease of manufacturing we have today.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2023, 06:33:46 PM »
I collected these whenever they started (1998? 1999?) and had basically every one from the original 4 series. Wish I didn’t sell those at all

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 07:26:07 PM »
Ended up skating with friend of a friend some years back halfway thru the day he takes us to some random house and says he'll be back in a min. We assume he's buying weed or something but like half an hour later he comes out with a big shopping bag full of fingerboards and little flatbars and stuff. Turns out he is a pro finger boarder or something but we're already annoyed so we start giving him shit he's getting defensive and in trying to defend himself starts talking about the quality and how expensive everything is which of course makes us bogan dickheads turn it into a bit and go even harder for the rest of the day like pickup a bit of wood off the ground "oh this is an awesome ledge it costs $500 because it's authentic wood"
Anyway there's definatly a market for this stuff

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2023, 06:55:30 AM »
Def not worth it, Dynamic wheels and trucks on whatever deck are the goat and they wont break instantly.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 07:36:13 AM »
the only thing cool about these "pro" tech decks is graphics from real brands, the quality is probably terrible for the price. those wooden performance tech decks honestly suck compared to the normal plastic ones. if you upgrade one of the wide plastic ones that have the squishy bushings with foam grip and urethane wheels it would be better than whatever pro or performance shit they put out, i rode one like that forever.

Def not worth it, Dynamic wheels and trucks on whatever deck are the goat and they wont break instantly.
right on, i got a dynamic setup during their black friday sale and it's a huge step up, it makes a big difference. $80 still seems crazy for a fingerboard to me but it has provided hours of fun while i'm working and anything that helps the day pass is worth it.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2023, 08:43:13 AM »
so basically tech deck wised up after seeing how popular small fingerboard brands got making quality stuff and decided to mass produce sub-par ones of their own?

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2023, 02:51:16 PM »
Ended up skating with friend of a friend some years back halfway thru the day he takes us to some random house and says he'll be back in a min. We assume he's buying weed or something but like half an hour later he comes out with a big shopping bag full of fingerboards and little flatbars and stuff. Turns out he is a pro finger boarder or something but we're already annoyed so we start giving him shit he's getting defensive and in trying to defend himself starts talking about the quality and how expensive everything is which of course makes us bogan dickheads turn it into a bit and go even harder for the rest of the day like pickup a bit of wood off the ground "oh this is an awesome ledge it costs $500 because it's authentic wood"

A diamond is also very small, yet it’s expensive.

Paying 50-100 bucks for a proper fingerboard that you enjoy seems ok for me.

I don‘t get why people who play a skateboard videogame hate on people who fingerboard.

Have you ever herad of race car drivers hating on people who Drive RC cars?

Tennis players hating on people who play ping pong?

Those techdecks are overpriced, get a Blackriver, sorry or DK deck instead.

Anyways here‘s the fingerbpard thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116918.0

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2023, 05:38:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A diamond is also very small, yet it’s expensive.

Paying 50-100 bucks for a proper fingerboard that you enjoy seems ok for me.

I don‘t get why people who play a skateboard videogame hate on people who fingerboard.

Have you ever herad of race car drivers hating on people who Drive RC cars?

Tennis players hating on people who play ping pong?

Those techdecks are overpriced, get a Blackriver, sorry or DK deck instead.

Anyways here‘s the fingerbpard thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116918.0
Its not a diamond or takes anywhere near the amount of effort to produce or have any amount of rarity. This was paying hundreds of dollars for something that took minutes to make out of bits of scrap material the person no doubt found a bin.
Also if you don't understand the difference between giving somebody a friendly ribbing because they've wasted a bunch of your time and hating that's a problem you better figure out.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 08:17:33 AM by Mean salto »

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2023, 07:32:19 PM »

We might need some new fingerboard stories lol... Yours is better though and every time you tell it new details emerge

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2023, 07:43:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

We might need some new fingerboard stories lol... Yours is better though and every time you tell it new details emerge
Lol unfortunately (or actually fortunately really) I only got the one fingerboard story I guess differences come from my failing memory/trying to retell it as quickly as possible.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2023, 12:14:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Lol unfortunately (or actually fortunately really) I only got the one fingerboard story I guess differences come from my failing memory/trying to retell it as quickly as possible.

That one time i was hating „rubbing“ dude who fingerboards, and still brag about it years later - on the world wide web.
Yet fuck all those jocks who clown on me for beeing a grown up man skateboarding, they don‘t get it…

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2023, 12:36:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

That one time i was hating „rubbing“ dude who fingerboards, and still brag about it years later - on the world wide web.
Yet fuck all those jocks who clown on me for beeing a grown up man skateboarding, they don‘t get it…
Lol cool you invented a whole backstory guess having a healthy imagination and fingerboarding would be linked. There's no mention of jocks making fun of me and I'm clearly the dickhead in the story (even outright say it) yes in hindsight a dumb way to express it but the point was for anyone who doubts it there is a market for expensive fingerboard products. (Also outright say that)

Tireeedd

• Rep: 59
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2023, 02:09:42 PM »
as much as I'd like to try these I already have two berlinwood's that work just fine I got 10 years ago in Germany, I wanna try those dynamic trucks tho

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2023, 02:31:09 PM »
The board is $70 That's too hot for my blood. I do like that the box is a grind box. Also, I've been making my own for a while now. It's how I cope with not having a shed/garage to press my own full size decks.

Regular techdecks must print money. They're less than 3$ and it's something that a parent could easily buy to appease a child and they can fit into the allowance budget of a kid. I like to check out the new graphics when I go to target and they are often out of stock.

EDIT:
DIY Fidgetspinner