Author Topic: SF/Oregon  (Read 5744 times)

cocainecowboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
SF/Oregon
« on: December 04, 2010, 04:34:49 AM »
I currently live in southern california near LA and will be moving up north to either SF or Oregon in the beginning of January, i've been looking on craigslist for places to rent and haven't had the best of luck. I was wondering if there was anyone on here from frisco or oregon, preferably near portland, that was looking for a roommate, knew of some spots for rent or had an opinion on the matter or any advice at all.

I've got a car, i will have close to 2,000 saved up by the time to move, I am trying to get a fresh start somewhere else, education-wise I am going to take a semester off, I am just looking to get a job, work and skate. any and all help would be appreciated.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: SF/Oregon
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:32:36 PM »
If you move to SF, sell your car.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Insatiable

• Rep: -17
  • A thirst that can never be quenched
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 11:04:33 PM »
Where would you want to go to school in Oregon?

cocainecowboy

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 01:19:51 AM »
I was thinking of going up there car-less, but i figured if things ever take a turn for the worse, i can always resort to living outta my car again. If I were to move to oregon, i was thinking OCAC for school, except I'm really leaning towards moving to SF.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 06:49:54 PM »
You're talking about the cheapest city in the US vs. the most expensive city in the US. You know that, right? Maybe not literally - but pretty much. Noticably. If it's not a factor, I'd say hit up SF. It's basically endless skate-gasms down there. I'd move there in a heartbeat if it weren't so expensive.

If you wanna try getting out of California, try Portland. For me, it was the easiest city to get started in. Shit, I was just reading an article from the Wall Street Journal (!) that was about how Portland is the most skate-friendly city in the country. Skate lanes in the street, an entire network of skateparks just in Portland proper (they are also in every suburb and rinky-dink town, too), skating is just going down in every direction

. It rains a lot, but that's when we drink. Come here and catch my fade. Or at least skate downtown with me.

cocainecowboy

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 01:10:52 AM »
yea i know SF is pretty steep cost-wise, figured i'd go big or go homeless.
why was portland so easy to get started in? just due to it being so cheap?

i enjoy drinking, but i enjoy skating more.
how are the women in portland, tough as nails?

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 06:14:15 AM »
It's easy because it's cheap, and the overall vibe is more about taking care of it's people than status. It's hard to explain, but it's obvious right away. Like SF, you don't need a car. In fact, there are lots of similarities to SF - with the major difference being the money thing.

The women are awesome. I've never gotten laid so much until I moved here. I swear it's true. It's the slut, uh, I mean strip club capital of the world. The chicks aren't tough, they're slutty.

Inbred Jed

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 09:48:16 AM »
My wife works in SF now so we want to move up there early next year. We want to move to the Richmond district because it seems a little less crowded, more slow paced and it's right around some gib parks.I'll still have to commute back to SJ unless one of you will offer me a job paying at least $18 an hour.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 03:44:10 PM »
Portland is the best. I moved here 7 and a half years ago from Wisconsin, and absolutely fell in love with the city. As was said earlier we've got tons of skate shit, and strip clubs. But we've also got so many amazing food carts, and awesome breweries. Plus the weed is good. Mullet Man, we should skate one of these days when the weather isn't all fucked.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Insatiable

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 03:50:20 PM »
Portland is the best. I moved here 7 and a half years ago from Wisconsin, and absolutely fell in love with the city. As was said earlier we've got tons of skate shit, and strip clubs. But we've also got so many amazing food carts, and awesome breweries. Plus the weed is good. Mullet Man, we should skate one of these days when the weather isn't all fucked.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • grinding to a halt
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 10:17:11 AM »
Pufferfish. the skating offer goes for you too.

FTW

Insatiable

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 09:01:43 PM »
Yup Im down!  Ill PM you my number, Portland SLAP session somewhere sounds ill.  Also, you and Mullet Man should come to my video premiere at Plan B this Saturday the 18th. Midnight.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • grinding to a halt
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 11:57:59 AM »
I'll try to make it. I've gotta work some hardcore show that night that starts at 7. I'm guessing I'll get out around 11 or 12. If so I'll swing over. What's your vid?

FTW

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 12:08:34 PM »
This is making me wanna move to Portland.  I have my U.S. Citizenship and a bunch of cousins who live in the area.  Hmmmm....

How difficult is it to get a job there?

cocainecowboy

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 02:08:18 AM »
Alright after much thinking and drawing up diagrams. I'm more down for oregon than frisco. so let's start  helping me move up there so i can be your new skate posse member.
all joking aside, do any of you folks living in portland know any people with a room to rent, or are looking to get one?
Also how is Beaverton? I'm thinking of just living in that area and driving to portland for school and shreddage.

any tips or things I should know to bring?

for anyone with a spot or know of a place to rent tell em, I'm a decent cook, I clean things pretty well, I tend to keep to myself, i have a ps3 and n64, lastly a nice collection of skate videos to contribute.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 09:25:57 AM »
Portland is an easy city to get started in, but it's not "so easy that other people will find you a place to live" easy.

Still gotta do that on your own. Don't worry though, it's as easy here as anywhere. You just have to look around.

Beaverton sucks, but practically every skanky slut I've ever known is from there. Huge suburb.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 06:12:59 PM »
This is making me wanna move to Portland.  I have my U.S. Citizenship and a bunch of cousins who live in the area.  Hmmmm....

From what I know of you, Oregon in general would be fantastic for you. Also, from what I hear Portland is fucking laid back in terms of getting by. Super low cost of living. People I talked to in SF who lived there said they only worked like 3 days a week when they lived there and lived way better than they did in SF. I mean, SF is fucked up expensive, so it may affect the way people would talk about it there, but still, it seemed mellow as fuck.

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 08:13:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
From what I know of you, Oregon in general would be fantastic for you. Also, from what I hear Portland is fucking laid back in terms of getting by. Super low cost of living. People I talked to in SF who lived there said they only worked like 3 days a week when they lived there and lived way better than they did in SF. I mean, SF is fucked up expensive, so it may affect the way people would talk about it there, but still, it seemed mellow as fuck.

Yeah...well both my Uncles (on my Dad's side) moved straight to Washington/Oregon when they started families.  And all my Mom's family is in Vancouver/Victoria.  So I definitely have some kind of genetic predisposition to liking the West Coast.  I actually just applied for school in Victoria.  But I'd be down to live different places during the summers.  I can't ever stay in one place too long or I go crazy.

videodays

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 10:47:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yup Im down!  Ill PM you my number, Portland SLAP session somewhere sounds ill.  Also, you and Mullet Man should come to my video premiere at Plan B this Saturday the 18th. Midnight.

New to the area also, want to go check out this video. What's it all about? Also down for some skate buddy's (older ones that like to cruise the streets preferably) once it get's nicer. Fill me in on this vid!

RightCoastBiased

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 04:53:45 AM »
I know I am beating  a dead horse here, but SF is really expensive. Everyone I know that lives in portland loves it. I am not sure how people deal with the crazy amount of rain that is up there. But everything I've heard about the city is nothing but great. From public transport, skating, women, booze, weed, women, weed, skating, booze etc. It's all good. SF has the same though, but at a lot higher cost. I lived in the east bay for 3 years and thought of moving to SF several times, I would never have been able to enjoy the city had I lived there. Meaning I would have been spending so much just to live, that I couldn't have afforded to go to a bar or buy a bag.

My vote is for portland.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 02:17:15 PM »
some guy outside a bar down the street from the dlx skateshop stopped and told me i'd fall in love with a girl if i went to portland. i haven't been there yet, but if it happens, i'll vote for portland.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 11:01:05 AM »
Any of you Portland locs skate that indoor park in the Pearl? How is?

And yeah man, I'm old and I cruise the streets in downtown on practically every dry day. You guys will laugh when you see who I am, you might recognize me...

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • grinding to a halt
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 03:29:51 PM »
Please be Q-Man, that'd be the best shit ever.

FTW

Austin

• Rep: -80
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 04:31:58 PM »
I'll probably move to either San Francisco, Compton, or Portland when I turn 18.
I like my trucks how i like my women, Loose.

RRRRRAD

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 04:45:19 PM »
damn lucky i wish you good luck

Analog_Art

• Rep: -50
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 01:39:43 PM »
damn lucky i wish you good luck

I am in the same situation where I have to find a new spot soon.
I don't know if I want to stay in Sacramento, looking to go to SF.

I want to work in skateboarding, and play music.

cocainecowboy

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2011, 05:23:57 PM »
fuck it. i'm packing my car and leaving this week. saying goodbye's to all my friends and i shall begin my journey north. i don't have a place picked out yet. but i'll be passing through san jose and SF sometime after thursday. and most likely going up to portland in the hopes of starting a new life for myself. maybe i'll get to skate with some of you sometime. who knows. best of luck to all of you and happy new year's

Insatiable

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 05:39:34 PM »
Please be Q-Man, that'd be the best shit ever.
Oh man that would be so awesome.  Saw Q-man with his three kids recently, tripped me out.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 07:38:30 PM »
fuck it. i'm packing my car and leaving this week. saying goodbye's to all my friends and i shall begin my journey north. i don't have a place picked out yet. but i'll be passing through san jose and SF sometime after thursday. and most likely going up to portland in the hopes of starting a new life for myself. maybe i'll get to skate with some of you sometime. who knows. best of luck to all of you and happy new year's
Fuck yeah man! Good luck and enjoy the days!

cocainecowboy

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 09:09:49 PM »
Well change of plans. I now live in Oakland.
to any slap heads in the area, let's shred!!