Author Topic: compression socks/ankle support  (Read 1850 times)

datura

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 23
compression socks/ankle support
« on: April 10, 2019, 10:30:18 AM »
hey everyone, I, like many pals, have dogshit ankles. Right one has always bothered me after years of acucmulated skate injuries. I also got hit by a car while biking last year and my left ankle took the majority of the impact (got t-boned by someone swinging a left).

So, I've just been getting back into rolling around, and while skating in a brace definitely helps my left ankle from flaring up too bad (at least during a sesh), I was wondering if pals have experience with other solutions. Are there any good compression socks I could use that would keep both of my shitty ankles slightly protexted? Do i need double braces? What have y'all done? All help appreciated.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: compression socks/ankle support
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 10:42:37 AM »
hey everyone, I, like many pals, have dogshit ankles. Right one has always bothered me after years of acucmulated skate injuries. I also got hit by a car while biking last year and my left ankle took the majority of the impact (got t-boned by someone swinging a left).

So, I've just been getting back into rolling around, and while skating in a brace definitely helps my left ankle from flaring up too bad (at least during a sesh), I was wondering if pals have experience with other solutions. Are there any good compression socks I could use that would keep both of my shitty ankles slightly protexted? Do i need double braces? What have y'all done? All help appreciated.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=86519.0

I rolled my right ankle to the point of breakage about 1.5yrs ago, didn't break but stretched the shit out of it and pretty much made it suck to skate. Lot's of rehab: bands, stretches, doing the alphabet, walking on the beach in soft sand, etc. just to get strength back.

Tried mid and highs and they don't offer ankle support they way most people think but do protect from snakebites.Compression socks don't do anything really and are usually very thin (feet swim around and get sweaty easy). I've used some sports style braces, compression materials, neoprene, etc., and for a truly rolled ankle they don't do fuck all.

Ankle braces, like wrist guards are not good for you long term. But don't fuck you up short term right after an injury if you need SUPPORT such as the ETCETERA Figure Six Ankle Stabilizer - I used this right after the injury as it wasn't bad enough for a soft cast.

For me, the best option has been generic flexible athletic tape with low tops, as it's flexible enough to 'give' a little and isn't super bulky like the other braces / doesn't 'lock down' the entire foot like it's in a boot (which if you use mids, it can get bulky); I just wrap it over my socks. Plus I can use it on my wrists if I need to.

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Black-Athletic-Tape-10-yard/dp/B003L2FWES?ref_=Oct_RAsinC_Ajax_3775561_0&pf_rd_r=DF28WB382NY72TH0FS5M&pf_rd_p=b82eee6f-1170-5530-be33-a31f6e837871&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=3775561&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:54:05 AM by Xen »

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 11:51:40 AM »
Something I've found that really seems to help avoid ankle rolls and keep me confident is skating only wider cupsole shoes. Not only are they more supportive but it seems to me that the extra sole and the way cupsoles cup the foot help keep your feet firmly planted and flat in situations where you might otherwise get an ankle roll, like when your foot slips off your board. I'm skating my first pair of vulcs in a while and have already had a couple of sketchy moments, it feels like I'm standing "on" my shoes instead of "in" them, if that makes any sense. Other than that, just try not to push it too hard. Slowly work your way back into it and listen to your body when it needs rest.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 11:57:04 AM »
If you haven't already go to the doctor and get their opinion, very important to figure out how serious it is. You can also see a physical therapist as well they can get you a plan together. If you already know what's wrong and have seen those folks, I would advise epsom salt baths and icing after skating. Stretching and strengthening also go a long way, follow @dr.kylebrown on insta he has tons of good stretch/rehab routines for all sorts of injuries including ankle rolls. Eating decent will make a big impact as well. I had a bad ankle injury a few years ago, and just be patient stretch and don't push yourself too far too soon.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 11:59:39 AM »
Something I've found that really seems to help avoid ankle rolls and keep me confident is skating only wider cupsole shoes. Not only are they more supportive but it seems to me that the extra sole and the way cupsoles cup the foot help keep your feet firmly planted and flat in situations where you might otherwise get an ankle roll, like when your foot slips off your board. I'm skating my first pair of vulcs in a while and have already had a couple of sketchy moments, it feels like I'm standing "on" my shoes instead of "in" them, if that makes any sense. Other than that, just try not to push it too hard. Slowly work your way back into it and listen to your body when it needs rest.

Total sense.

Just switched from Vans to [my first pair of] Numeric 913s because I felt like I need better foot support over board feel and hopefully I can get both with these.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 12:06:51 PM »
If you haven't already go to the doctor and get their opinion, very important to figure out how serious it is. You can also see a physical therapist as well they can get you a plan together. If you already know what's wrong and have seen those folks, I would advise epsom salt baths and icing after skating. Stretching and strengthening also go a long way, follow @dr.kylebrown on insta he has tons of good stretch/rehab routines for all sorts of injuries including ankle rolls. Eating decent will make a big impact as well. I had a bad ankle injury a few years ago, and just be patient stretch and don't push yourself too far too soon.

Epsom salt baths are an old wives' tale remedy, your skin doesn't absorb the Magnesium (Magnesium has been shown to block NDMA receptors, which tell your brain when you’re hurt) from bathwater to magically remedy the injury, it's the warm water that is helping. There is no scientific data backing up Epsom salts as a remedy. But there's no harm in the placebo effect.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 01:55:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Epsom salt baths are an old wives' tale remedy, your skin doesn't absorb the Magnesium (Magnesium has been shown to block NDMA receptors, which tell your brain when you’re hurt) from bathwater to magically remedy the injury, it's the warm water that is helping. There is no scientific data backing up Epsom salts as a remedy. But there's no harm in the placebo effect.

Could be placebo, but it feels amazing after a 15 min icing.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 02:22:13 PM »
what about those stance insols? Always wanted to try those...i get a lot of heel bruise

Expand Quote
[close]

supposedly ice baths are the best thing.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 02:23:50 PM by Abyss1 »

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 03:28:34 PM »
I got bad ligament laxity, plus my my ligament in general are not do good. So I tried a lot of shoes, the most comfortable are Nike ishods and Adidas superstar, cause they're wide and comfy. Gel insoles and Dr gibaud ankle support bands are a must. I've tried orthopaedic and impact insoles they destroys my ankles even more.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 06:33:13 PM »
what about those stance insols? Always wanted to try those...i get a lot of heel bruise

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

supposedly ice baths are the best thing.

All docs and OTs have told me the same thing after every skate injury:

• Cold treatment reduces inflammation by decreasing blood flow. Which is why you ICE that shit straightaway
    Heat treatment promotes blood flow and helps muscles relax = chronic pain (knees, lowerback, etc.)
    Alternating heat and cold may help reduce exercise-induced muscle pain - I'll do this if my legs are sore from skating at the gym I'll soak in the hot tub then cold shower, then back to the hot tub, etc.
    And of course the Mom warning: Never use extreme heat, and never put ice directly on the skin.

Larry Dallas

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 09:59:01 PM »
Yo, I wouldn’t listen to Xen when it comes to socks.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 11:37:37 PM »
I find a really horrific one (ankle injury) can kinda train you not to do it again.  I just slam on the side of my body now instead of having that weight on my leg when i feel my ankles position is starting to be comprimised.  I could get one tomorrow tho.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

garmstronger

• Rep: 1
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 05:04:40 PM »
https://www.lassogear.com/

my ankles have been shit for 20 years...  i wear mid/high tops almost exclusively these days, but i bought a pair of these ridiculously expensive socks to try out and they work wonders.   have skated around town in these with low tops and they are pretty great.   Still limit the size of sets i will jump down if i'm wearing them with lows, but that's mostly because i'm a scared old man

talklessSkateMore

• Rep: -40
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 05:36:41 PM »
+1 to ankle taping
it said to learn how to tie for a reason.
This is all structured as a trap.
Tied by those who know the fundamentals.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 10:27:39 AM »
https://www.lassogear.com/

my ankles have been shit for 20 years...  i wear mid/high tops almost exclusively these days, but i bought a pair of these ridiculously expensive socks to try out and they work wonders.   have skated around town in these with low tops and they are pretty great.   Still limit the size of sets i will jump down if i'm wearing them with lows, but that's mostly because i'm a scared old man

How much padding in the heel/toe?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 10:48:31 AM »
my push foot ankle feels like pudding lately

i've been doing some light therapy on it and just trying to loosen up as much as possible before cracking an ollie

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 11:15:49 AM »
my push foot ankle feels like pudding lately

i've been doing some light therapy on it and just trying to loosen up as much as possible before cracking an ollie

That's my weak ankle as well, fucking sucks; mine tweaks at the end of the push and I can't attempt any switch flicks with it - soft spot is 45 degrees right of center.

Get some resistance bands and google some re-hab shit, it helps.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 07:59:02 AM »
I got these compression socks from a running store here and I more so wear them around for recovery ie around the house.  They do something but definitely not a fix...my push Achilles gets flared up all the time....35 years of pushing is maybe taking a toll.  I'm gonna go see a physio to see if I can make it better....I do a ton of calf raises and stretch it out, it might just be something I have to manage. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 08:48:30 AM »
I got these compression socks from a running store here and I more so wear them around for recovery ie around the house.  They do something but definitely not a fix...my push Achilles gets flared up all the time....35 years of pushing is maybe taking a toll.  I'm gonna go see a physio to see if I can make it better....I do a ton of calf raises and stretch it out, it might just be something I have to manage.

Ankle Alphabet is your friend!