Author Topic: At what moment did you realize that you were "in it for life"?  (Read 3222 times)

sweets

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • but(t) fuck, who's keeping track?
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: At what moment did you realize that you were "in it for life"?
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2011, 03:26:57 PM »
I had the epiphany when I blew out my knee more than a dozen years ago. No insurance so the doctor started talking about "never skating again but you can ride a bike, etc..." Went back a couple days later and begged him to fix it. He did and ended up writing off most of my surgery during tax season. Those two two days thinking about never rolling again were too brutal. Just couldn't imagine life without it.
"instead of typing out some dumb reply to this post, go make some art, smell your own body, mate with your own hand, take a picture of your penis when it is in half-boner-mode and post it on slap." Tony

GarglesCmen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • Hey, Nice Ass
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2011, 03:30:34 PM »
I ate shit on this one narrow road where I live, my board shot out and I jumped after it, I grabbed it before it got into the ditch but it took a second for me to realize a car almost hit me as I was pulling back my side of the road. It was a foot away from me, I dont know why this sparked more interest in skating but I have been pushing ever since.

HOUSTON, TEXAS!

Lance Meowntain

• Rep: -3
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2011, 03:44:20 PM »
Thought I was in it for life for the first 12 or so years I skated. Then the obligatory "fell off because of a girl bullshit" happened. We eventually broke up, but I had distanced myself from my friends/the scene so much, that I didnt start back. Fast forward a couple of years, and unfortunately I found myself in prison for 2 years. While in there, something clicked and I would just daydream for ever about little shit, like bombing hills, or just boardsliding a flatrail, shit like that. I couldnt get skating out of my mind for some reason. Then out of nowhere a homie who I wasnt even that close with before I went away, sent me a subscription to Thrasher. I fucking devoured that shit like a rabid dog! Haha! Soon as I got home, I hit up my old friends, and the rest is history. I know now how much it means to me, and how important it was/is when it was ACTUALLY taken away from me. That and the combination of my homie sending the subscription sealed the deal. (Thanks Matt, if you read this!) Im in it for the long haul. When its in your blood, its in your blood.

latinlover!

• Rep: -5
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2011, 06:51:51 PM »
Never really had a "moment" I can clearly point to, but I've been doing it for so long in the harsh conditions of Texas that I'll always come back to it. Sometimes I don't skate for weeks and then I'll have that urge to go out, skate fast, and get broke.

Like today, I went out, skated for about an hour at some bank next to a Walgreens.

I'm thankful for skating.  :)

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2011, 07:18:55 PM »
skateboarding has made me feel free for the past 8 years. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

ChildOfTheBurbs

• Rep: -65513
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2011, 07:31:34 PM »
when I found myself cruising downtown LA every holiday.

marshalbanana

• Rep: -7
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2011, 07:41:34 PM »
When i kept coming back to it after many different phases in my life. Bad music, cars, partying.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2011, 07:45:21 PM »
When I realized that whenever I was pissed, sad, annoyed, or frustrated about anything, all I had to do was jump on my board and everything else just disappered.

gutterhead.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2011, 08:41:31 PM »
When I realized that whenever I was pissed, sad, annoyed, or frustrated about anything, all I had to do was jump on my board and everything else just disappered.
spot on

buttchin

• Rep: 18
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2011, 11:52:07 PM »
I realized skateboarding was my life when me and my click of friends barged the streets on every important holiday for the past three years. The thrill of skating spots that are a usual bust is the greatest feeling ever. I wouldn't trade skateboarding for anything.

also, I don't even know how people live without skateboarding or a specific interest.. skateboarding has skewed my mind so hard to the point where I find everything else boring.

trolltoll

• Rep: -3
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2011, 12:44:29 AM »
when i heard how a caught trick sounds under my own feet.

Tale Crab

• Rep: 350
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2011, 01:01:03 AM »
Right there and then.

Avicci

• Rep: -71
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2011, 01:10:11 AM »
When I got her pregnant.

"chill out on the yo flips theo we only want whats best for you!"

commie

• Rep: 17
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2011, 02:51:45 AM »
I can't think of a particular moment, but everyone around me kept quitting and I just kept skating. My friends told me that I would quit once I started University, once I had a family, etc. I think I like skateboarding more and more as time goes on.

frontsidebackside

• Rep: -2
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2011, 03:00:06 AM »
summer goin into 5th grade ,after playing thps1 & 2 for hours, got a darkstar board (lol) & havnt quit ever since

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -152
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2011, 03:21:14 AM »
Probably landing that first stationary heelflip in my garage when I was 13 after months of landing on it with 1 foot. I cheered victoriously and it was the best feeling ever.