Author Topic: Chicago.  (Read 218979 times)

chillout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
Re: Chicago.
« Reply #270 on: August 15, 2011, 07:59:07 PM »
thanks for the help guys

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #271 on: August 18, 2011, 09:02:41 PM »
yea, the red line is how i get to wilson most days, i've never had any bad experiences

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #272 on: August 23, 2011, 09:23:03 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHxxVy89OlQ

anyone have info on the first spot or the one at :53?

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #273 on: August 25, 2011, 12:22:58 AM »
Walk down the stairs next to the Michigan Ave bridge on the north side of the Chicago river and walk along the river front toward the lake. It’s just below the rotary for the NBC building. You can’t miss it. There are more spots down along the river walk. Explore.
chicago - Google Maps

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #274 on: August 25, 2011, 12:26:43 AM »
They are also the same spot btw, if you didn't already realize that.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #275 on: August 25, 2011, 06:36:50 PM »
They are also the same spot btw, if you didn't already realize that.

thanks. and thats kinda what i assumed.

hopefully ill see some chicago slap pals soon. i move this monday. probably gonna skate wilson like everyday and then some street. its just wierd to me skating street alone. ive only met one kid who skates

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #276 on: August 25, 2011, 06:51:21 PM »
hopefully ill see some chicago slap pals soon. i move this monday. probably gonna skate wilson like everyday and then some street. its just wierd to me skating street alone. ive only met one kid who skates
Good luck with the move. I won't be seeing you as I live in Japan now. Frequent Uprise and you'll meet some heads.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #277 on: August 25, 2011, 08:40:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Good luck with the move. I won't be seeing you as I live in Japan now. Frequent Uprise and you'll meet some heads.

thanks. its gonna be nice because im just like 3 blocks away from uprise

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #278 on: August 25, 2011, 08:48:17 PM »
I thought you were moving to the Lincoln Park area?

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #279 on: August 25, 2011, 10:02:21 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHxxVy89OlQ

any info on the spot at 1:30?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #280 on: August 26, 2011, 07:59:55 AM »
Grant Park Plaza

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • reptiles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #281 on: August 26, 2011, 07:15:35 PM »
Expand Quote
how close is the wilson red line stop to wilson? and how safe is the wilson stop? im moving to lincoln park at the end of the month and i plan on wilson becoming a daily thing
[close]

It's under a mile and a straight shot down Wilson ave. I've never felt endangered there, but that area's pretty densely populated with crazy people IMO. Stop by Walt Disney school while you're in the area; you can see the wax from outer space. Google Maps

pass this everyday but never skated it. i figured a disney school would have gnarly security.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #282 on: August 26, 2011, 07:17:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
how close is the wilson red line stop to wilson? and how safe is the wilson stop? im moving to lincoln park at the end of the month and i plan on wilson becoming a daily thing
[close]

It's under a mile and a straight shot down Wilson ave. I've never felt endangered there, but that area's pretty densely populated with crazy people IMO. Stop by Walt Disney school while you're in the area; you can see the wax from outer space. Google Maps
[close]

pass this everyday but never skated it. i figured a disney school would have gnarly security.

YOU LIVE IN CHICAGO TOO?!?! DUDE. We gotta skate and talk about the good old days of Slap like 8 years ago

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #283 on: August 26, 2011, 07:22:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yea no one gives a fuck. I don't even think they have security. Just try not to skate it when the kids are on recess or whatever.

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #284 on: August 28, 2011, 04:57:58 AM »
Never been kicked out of Disney.  Skated there for a good 2 hours yesterday.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #285 on: August 30, 2011, 02:42:43 PM »
I thought you were moving to the Lincoln Park area?

yeah. i go to depaul. i underestimated the distance to uprise. skated there yesterday and it wasnt horrible but alot longer than 3 blocks

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #286 on: August 30, 2011, 10:58:01 PM »
yeah. i go to depaul. i underestimated the distance to uprise. skated there yesterday and it wasnt horrible but alot longer than 3 blocks
Heh. Yeah, a little more 3 blocks. There’s a fun spot near you on Sheffield & Lincoln. Conveniently located next to a Hoagie Hut, liquor store, and 7/11.

chicago - Google Maps
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 12:13:08 AM by Jive Turkey »

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #287 on: August 31, 2011, 09:29:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Heh. Yeah, a little more 3 blocks. There’s a fun spot near you on Sheffield & Lincoln. Conveniently located next to a Hoagie Hut, liquor store, and 7/11.

chicago - Google Maps

that statue in the park? everything looked capped but i guess you could skate it as manny pads.

any pals going to the uprise block party saturday?

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #288 on: August 31, 2011, 05:34:47 PM »
that statue in the park? everything looked capped but i guess you could skate it as manny pads.

No way, it's been capped?! The statue is a bit tall but the blocks off the stairs are fun. Er... were fun. That sucks.

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #289 on: August 31, 2011, 08:24:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No way, it's been capped?! The statue is a bit tall but the blocks off the stairs are fun. Er... were fun. That sucks.
yea, they've been capped for a while now

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #290 on: August 31, 2011, 08:34:29 PM »
Bummer. That spot was mad fun. Seems like odd place to skate stop considering it's not busy, located in a public park, and is in a neighborhood as opposed to being downtown or in a business district.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #291 on: August 31, 2011, 11:36:06 PM »
going to be in Chicago this weekend.  hoping to hit up Wilson and any other parks if people have recommendations.  more into tranny, pools and such..  don't have much (anything) for ledges, stairs etc..    also if anyone can recommend a good skate shop downtown please let me know.  ready to buy a new deck and wheels and figured i'd give Chicago some love while I'm here.  love that city
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #292 on: August 31, 2011, 11:48:12 PM »
going to be in Chicago this weekend.  hoping to hit up Wilson and any other parks if people have recommendations.  more into tranny, pools and such..  don't have much (anything) for ledges, stairs etc..    also if anyone can recommend a good skate shop downtown please let me know.  ready to buy a new deck and wheels and figured i'd give Chicago some love while I'm here.  love that city

The only skate shop that you really need to care about in Chicago is Uprise: http://upriseskateboards.com/. Great guys. Their address and directions are at the bottom of the site.

Uprise is also throwing this event on Saturday: http://www.upriseskateboards.com/news_detail.cfm?Id=695&BlogCatId=0. It looks awesome, but I'm going to be back in the suburbs, so I don't know if I'll make it there.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #293 on: September 01, 2011, 11:41:04 PM »
how bad is the cop hassle downtown?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #294 on: September 02, 2011, 01:15:34 AM »
Really depends, I've skated around for hours without any hassle, but I've also gotten kicked out of the the entire downtown area within minutes of getting there(they followed me to my car in a squad car). I don't know what the policy is on tickets now, but I wouldn't stay in one spot for a really long period of time.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #295 on: September 02, 2011, 10:03:33 AM »
how bad is the cop hassle downtown?

youre probably gonna have more trouble with security. if a cop says something to you just be completely submissive and if possible leave before an actual conversation can start

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #296 on: September 02, 2011, 10:28:06 PM »
I want to live here.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
« Reply #297 on: September 03, 2011, 08:06:01 AM »
gonna be downtown today. anyone wanna shred

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #298 on: September 03, 2011, 02:55:46 PM »
i wish logan was a diy park. it would be so much more fun with just little skater-made stuff then shitty prefab ramps. has chicago ever had a diy spot?

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #299 on: September 03, 2011, 05:00:07 PM »
i wish logan was a diy park. it would be so much more fun with just little skater-made stuff then shitty prefab ramps. has chicago ever had a diy spot?
under the thorndale redline stop theres a jersey barrier, two wallrides and a quarterpipe.  alot of fun, transition is a little funky though.  i cant blame them though, i wouldnt have done any better