Author Topic: Chicago.  (Read 219287 times)

chillout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
Re: Chicago.
« Reply #390 on: December 27, 2011, 03:52:45 PM »
Expand Quote
^Don't understand how people can skate at a lock in. I can't do shit when I'm tired/running on caffeine alone. I may be there though, can't wait to see more Thomas footy.
[close]

I bought a full crate of Cuties, some beef jerky, water bottles, and protein bars and put em in a locker. Another way to do it: get there and go to sleep immediately. Then wake up later in the night (1AM?) and get your post-nap shred on. I might be there for an earlier session that day.

best shit during winter

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #391 on: December 27, 2011, 09:02:32 PM »
Cuties make the wintery world go round.

I like to think I kinda figured it out. Wait for all the kids to tire themselves out after going crazy the first couple hours, then charge everything armed with your massive snack stockpile (I'd also probably bring along a tin of almonds, cashews, or walnuts) and GET TRICKS.

Being short is the motorcycle of life.

Dirty Sprite

• Rep: -5
« Reply #392 on: December 28, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »
that little hill bomb going to the river walk is too fun

Yes! Also love the hill over on the museum campus.

Side question, but anyone know why there isn't a public indoor within the city? Liability/Risk outweigh the gain?

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #393 on: December 28, 2011, 04:35:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Side question, but anyone know why there isn't a public indoor within the city? Liability/Risk outweigh the gain?

we were supposed to be getting one this winter. rahm wasnt feelin it

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #394 on: December 28, 2011, 09:21:37 PM »
^Don't understand how people can skate at a lock in. I can't do shit when I'm tired/running on caffeine alone. I may be there though, can't wait to see more Thomas footy.
I did one at 3rd Lair back in July, Gatorade and loud music help.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Dirty Sprite

• Rep: -5
« Reply #395 on: December 29, 2011, 06:04:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If Rahm was involved then I assume this was gonna be lead by CPD? Also have there been any efforts by an entrepreneur or anyone else to make a private one like Krush?

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #396 on: December 29, 2011, 09:26:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

If Rahm was involved then I assume this was gonna be lead by CPD? Also have there been any efforts by an entrepreneur or anyone else to make a private one like Krush?

CPD was going to lead, but Spohn Ranch was going to be hired to design and build the park. SR was also going to reach out to area skaters and work with us to build what we wanted.

As far as a private park goes... I haven't heard anything, which is unfortunate, given that Krush and Asylum are the only two parks I can think of and are an hour-plus from the city.

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #397 on: December 29, 2011, 10:18:53 AM »
Awhile ago I remember a dude ran a little private indoor park in Logan square,  but I'm pretty sure he closed down two or so years ago

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #398 on: December 29, 2011, 08:12:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

CPD was going to lead, but Spohn Ranch was going to be hired to design and build the park. SR was also going to reach out to area skaters and work with us to build what we wanted.

As far as a private park goes... I haven't heard anything, which is unfortunate, given that Krush and Asylum are the only two parks I can think of and are an hour-plus from the city.

Isn't there one in lake in the woods? Also, there's Autobahn in Elk Grove Village which has a good mini ramp, but you might as well be skating outside because it's not well insulated and the place gets super wet.

Side note: I was just google mapping and it looks like, at that point, there was construction going on where the skatepark is. Did they tear it down or something? 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:20:54 PM by papasmurfsdog »

optimusXgrind

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • facebook avatar image
« Reply #399 on: January 10, 2012, 12:56:22 AM »
couple of friends of mine wanna check this spot out.
could someone help me out with the location and bust factor?

its in deplaines. can't remember the exact location. I've only been there once and we were kicked out within 5 minutes. i believe it was early in the evening on a weekday though, so try going on a weekend.

optimusXgrind

• SLAP Pal
    • facebook avatar image
« Reply #400 on: January 10, 2012, 12:57:28 AM »

i work at asylum and we have kids come when we open (4pm) and then stay until the end of the lock in (7am).

optimusXgrind

• SLAP Pal
    • facebook avatar image
« Reply #401 on: January 10, 2012, 01:00:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Isn't there one in lake in the woods? Also, there's Autobahn in Elk Grove Village which has a good mini ramp, but you might as well be skating outside because it's not well insulated and the place gets super wet.

Side note: I was just google mapping and it looks like, at that point, there was construction going on where the skatepark is. Did they tear it down or something? 

i think you are thinking of lake in the hills. that was warp. they closed down back in june. audubon has garage doors over those windows now, so it stays a little warmer and doesn't get wet anymore. the new set up is really fun. it was done by jeff chase (the same guy who made cream city). its definitely worth checking out.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #402 on: January 10, 2012, 12:58:53 PM »
You still have to wear helmets?

optimusXgrind

• SLAP Pal
    • facebook avatar image
« Reply #403 on: January 10, 2012, 09:30:32 PM »

yeah. they are working on doing an 18+ sesh with no helmets though.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #404 on: January 11, 2012, 06:38:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Cool well if you hear anything about that let me know I live like 15 minutes from that park now.

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #405 on: January 11, 2012, 09:51:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Keep me and Carlos updated on that one.

optimusXgrind

• SLAP Pal
    • facebook avatar image
« Reply #406 on: January 11, 2012, 12:34:46 PM »
ill definitely keep everyone posted

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #407 on: January 11, 2012, 07:57:21 PM »
Where exactly is this miniramp that you guys are talking about? I love me a good miniramp sesh

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #408 on: January 12, 2012, 11:39:46 AM »
Where exactly is this miniramp that you guys are talking about? I love me a good miniramp sesh

which one?

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • illinoying
« Reply #409 on: January 16, 2012, 11:15:02 AM »

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #410 on: January 16, 2012, 12:40:52 PM »
random contribution to the thread:

I've gotta go to Chicago in a couple of months to fix my fucking ankle. I'm coming all the way from Australia. No doctor in Australia is experienced enough with the therapy to heal it (not getting surgery). The treatment I need will be over 90 days, hopefully less. For my visa I need "a letter of invitation from a friend or relative". I don't know anyone in the USA, my sister is living in Canada so I'll be able to stay there most of the time. It'll suck going back and forth, though. I won't really be able to skate while i'm there, maybe some tranny (or I might be healed early and have plenty of time to skate) and I won't be able to drink cause of the treatment so I won't be that fun to hang around, but if anyone has a couch for me to crash on I'd be so damn grateful. It'll be the first time going overseas by myself. Pretty much putting my life on hold so I can skate like I used to.
I've got a little loft going right now that I'm using for a little clothing venture at the moment, if it's still around in a few months I'm totally down to let you stay there

Just Green Enough

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ...but existing is basically all i do
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #411 on: January 17, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »
does anyone know where this is?

I am in fact, a homosexual like Brian Anderson

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #412 on: January 17, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #413 on: January 17, 2012, 10:39:59 PM »
That sequence reminded me that Dax Miller never went anywhere even though he's good as fuck...

Switch heels at the beginning and end of this are outrageous. Did the full video ever come out though?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #414 on: January 18, 2012, 12:26:04 AM »
I completely forgot about him. He's so sick. That switch pop shove over the black rail at 42 seconds is on my school's campus and it a very tall rail with horrible ground.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #415 on: January 18, 2012, 03:17:13 AM »
That was sick. A little Dax appreciation...

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #416 on: January 21, 2012, 07:34:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
random contribution to the thread:

I've gotta go to Chicago in a couple of months to fix my fucking ankle. I'm coming all the way from Australia. No doctor in Australia is experienced enough with the therapy to heal it (not getting surgery). The treatment I need will be over 90 days, hopefully less. For my visa I need "a letter of invitation from a friend or relative". I don't know anyone in the USA, my sister is living in Canada so I'll be able to stay there most of the time. It'll suck going back and forth, though. I won't really be able to skate while i'm there, maybe some tranny (or I might be healed early and have plenty of time to skate) and I won't be able to drink cause of the treatment so I won't be that fun to hang around, but if anyone has a couch for me to crash on I'd be so damn grateful. It'll be the first time going overseas by myself. Pretty much putting my life on hold so I can skate like I used to.
[close]
I've got a little loft going right now that I'm using for a little clothing venture at the moment, if it's still around in a few months I'm totally down to let you stay there
[close]

appreciate it heaps! however, i've done some more research on this dr and now i'm most likely not going. i'll stick with the treatment i'm getting here for now. always good to know slap pals are out there, though. thanks anyway man.
no problem dude, just hit me up with a PM if you do end up needing a place to stay.

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #417 on: January 21, 2012, 11:05:43 AM »
anyone down with a session at logan today?  i drove past earlier and its completely dry

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #418 on: January 25, 2012, 11:32:10 AM »
OIAM NY episodes started up today. There's a kid from Naperville in there. Just thought you should know.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #419 on: January 25, 2012, 12:18:17 PM »
OIAM NY episodes started up today. There's a kid from Naperville in there. Just thought you should know.

i was surprised when i saw that. i wouldve thought id atleast heard of him