Author Topic: Chicago.  (Read 218941 times)

The Muffin Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
Re: Chicago.
« Reply #450 on: February 11, 2012, 05:01:50 PM »
So, we all have been to the Grant Park plaza-ish at one point or another. Anyone have any ideas to make it a bit better of a DIY than it already is?

Being short is the motorcycle of life.

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #451 on: February 11, 2012, 10:22:24 PM »
Is the red bull manual pad not there anymore? Idk put some quarter pipes in there or something. There's so much empty space. Put a mini ramp in!

EDIT: Wouldn't call it a DIY since the city put it there(I think). Anyways, Idk if I would get involved in using cement without talking to someone or they might just get rid of it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 11:44:38 PM by papasmurfsdog »

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #452 on: February 12, 2012, 07:55:47 AM »
The Red Bull pad should still be there, I'm just thinking of ways we can improve the park from where it is now. Especially with ledges that do NOT slide in warm weather.

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #453 on: February 12, 2012, 08:45:35 AM »
i think any form of transition would be nice in there, some steep grindable banks would be cool too

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #454 on: February 12, 2012, 09:17:17 AM »
one of those ledges with a parking block on top, and tranny on both sides, but like still ledge height. like they have at all the cali diys

Dirty Sprite

• Rep: -5
« Reply #455 on: February 12, 2012, 01:45:34 PM »
Someone needs to donate a mini to the plaza.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #456 on: February 12, 2012, 03:25:40 PM »
its crazy how much of a wasted space grant plaza is(i still enjoy it). we need to get a group together to get spohn ranch up in this bitch. they do flat slab renovation for relatively cheap and they have high quality construction

Dirty Sprite

« Reply #457 on: February 12, 2012, 04:58:08 PM »
Yeah, everything at Grant Plaza you could find in your own neighborhood. May as well just spend the time at the Museum Campus or actually exploring the loop. The city and other random people really like dumping crap in there as well while they hold festivals, concerts, and other bullshit.

Any of you guys ever skated at Chicago State University on 95th S. King Drive? Tons of shit up there to do. Pretty relaxed too as far as security is concerned.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 05:11:44 PM by Dirty Sprite »

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #458 on: February 12, 2012, 06:01:50 PM »
its crazy how much of a wasted space grant plaza is(i still enjoy it). we need to get a group together to get spohn ranch up in this bitch. they do flat slab renovation for relatively cheap and they have high quality construction

And I know for a fact that SR is down to collab with skaters on designs. Get to drawing, everyone!

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #459 on: February 14, 2012, 01:02:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And I know for a fact that SR is down to collab with skaters on designs. Get to drawing, everyone!

i really feel like we could make this happen. anyone have some type of in with city council? spohn would be super supportive once we get some kind of acknowledgement from the city

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #460 on: February 14, 2012, 03:37:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i really feel like we could make this happen. anyone have some type of in with city council? spohn would be super supportive once we get some kind of acknowledgement from the city

The next meeting is March 14 (a Wednesday). The thing is, there needs to insurmountable benefits to the city of Chicago by improving the Grant Park Plaza.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #461 on: February 14, 2012, 04:16:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The next meeting is March 14 (a Wednesday). The thing is, there needs to insurmountable benefits to the city of Chicago by improving the Grant Park Plaza.

yeah. city council meetings are somewhat of a mockery to what they are intented to be. that being said, if we got enough people together and are able to come up with a really strong argument that we could convey in under 3 minutes we could have a chance

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #462 on: February 14, 2012, 05:11:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah. city council meetings are somewhat of a mockery to what they are intented to be. that being said, if we got enough people together and are able to come up with a really strong argument that we could convey in under 3 minutes we could have a chance

Time for someone to get an infection from the rust on the edge of the RedBull ledges...

It's too bad they deaded the idea of the indoor park. I could write the hell out of that speech.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:22:20 PM by The Muffin Man »

Dirty Sprite

« Reply #463 on: February 15, 2012, 10:25:18 AM »
Where was the park going to go? I could see how some Yuppie pieces of shit would be against it, but if it was gonna be somewhere in the West loop or some other industrial area then I wonder how it could have failed.

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #464 on: February 15, 2012, 10:47:18 AM »
Where was the park going to go? I could see how some Yuppie pieces of shit would be against it, but if it was gonna be somewhere in the West loop or some other industrial area then I wonder how it could have failed.

It was supposed to be on 20 S. Clark Street, right in the heart of downtown. It would've been the best thing of all time.

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #465 on: February 15, 2012, 01:50:50 PM »
W I wonder how it could have failed.

It was going to be like 1600 South Clark St.  The reason it failed was time and $$$, the city has neither. 

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #466 on: February 18, 2012, 08:00:57 PM »
does anyone have any decent bank spots they're willing to share?   i'm in dire need of a good bank thats not the shefflield banks

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #467 on: February 18, 2012, 08:37:33 PM »
does anyone have any decent bank spots they're willing to share??  ? i'm in dire need of a good bank thats not the shefflield banks

im guessing you already know about the red bridge banks on ashland and webster. those are pretty fun

frank

• Rep: 2
« Reply #468 on: February 18, 2012, 09:16:31 PM »
i skated chicago for the first time yesterday. skated wendy's ledge for what felt like at least an hour. a cop drove right past us. fuck yeah chicago. does anyone know the name of that park on state i think the street is? you can see the essex inn and it's fenced in, there's a volleyball and tennis court. that place is sweet, cool locals.

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #469 on: February 18, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »
Expand Quote
does anyone have any decent bank spots they're willing to share??  ? i'm in dire need of a good bank thats not the shefflield banks
[close]

im guessing you already know about the red bridge banks on ashland and webster. those are pretty fun

UIC banks are cool for doing flip tricks on. They're at the building called science and engineering south.

The Picasso maybe? It's a bust at random as far as my experiences go.

The mercedes Benz dealership has some cool ones. Mostly like a grind the top kind of deal. Same with the ones under the bridge in the parking lot of Vienna Beef Ltd. Also, across the street from there is like a kind of steep bank to ledge that's fun.

Also, to the person above me. Grant skate plaza? It's off of Columbus though.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:42:48 PM by papasmurfsdog »

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
« Reply #470 on: February 19, 2012, 08:04:25 AM »

frank

• Rep: 2
« Reply #471 on: February 19, 2012, 01:53:54 PM »
[/quote]
yes, thank you. i'm terrible with streets/directions

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #472 on: February 19, 2012, 03:08:45 PM »
i skated that bank to ledge across from the vienna beef factory today, that place is so much steeper then it looks in videos

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #473 on: February 20, 2012, 12:50:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
does anyone have any decent bank spots they're willing to share??  ? i'm in dire need of a good bank thats not the shefflield banks
[close]

[close]

UIC banks are cool for doing flip tricks on. They're at the building called science and engineering south.

The Picasso maybe? It's a bust at random as far as my experiences go.

The mercedes Benz dealership has some cool ones. Mostly like a grind the top kind of deal. Same with the ones under the bridge in the parking lot of Vienna Beef Ltd. Also, across the street from there is like a kind of steep bank to ledge that's fun.

Oh shit, I live right by UIC, I need to go hit that spot up.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #474 on: February 20, 2012, 04:02:57 PM »
does anyone have any decent bank spots they're willing to share??  ? i'm in dire need of a good bank thats not the shefflield banks
I haven't been there since I was 16 but what about this place? Across Wacker from the Sears Tower down on lower Wacker there is a bank with a painted yellow curb on top. You can see the stair case down to it here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.878736,-87.637156&spn=0.000002,0.001049&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=41.878807,-87.63688&panoid=egUUNAOMZPqEO9eyUQcmHQ&cbp=12,286.5,,0,0.35

relevant to my intrests

• Rep: -58
« Reply #475 on: February 21, 2012, 10:25:09 PM »

StokedTaco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -180
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #476 on: February 23, 2012, 04:40:17 AM »
My friend finaly finished this edit.       BABY EATERS 2(HD) - Chicago

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #477 on: February 23, 2012, 06:23:49 AM »
My friend finaly finished this edit.       BABY EATERS 2(HD) - Chicago

Spot check on:
The ledges @ 0:20
The curb cuts @ 0:50
The bank-to-bank gap @ 0:38

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
« Reply #478 on: February 23, 2012, 07:26:58 AM »
was that nollie shuv ben?
saw some cj in there too.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #479 on: February 23, 2012, 10:29:27 AM »
Not a single baby was eaten.  But I don't mind so much, due to some good skateboarding.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?