Author Topic: Chicago.  (Read 218959 times)

Gnarwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
Re: Chicago.
« Reply #720 on: January 04, 2013, 08:40:43 AM »
Expand Quote
I've been living in illinois my entire life and I've been skating for 10 years, and every time I go to chicago to skate, I'm bummed I didn't go somewhere else. I really like the skateparks in that area though.
[close]

Try just cruising around for in Roseland/West Pulman area.  There's perfect spots everywhere and the later in the night you go the less of a bust it is.
watch out around there, a friend of mine's brother got shot dead in pullman two days ago.  he was just driving down the street and someone came up and shot him. 

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #721 on: January 04, 2013, 08:49:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've been living in illinois my entire life and I've been skating for 10 years, and every time I go to chicago to skate, I'm bummed I didn't go somewhere else. I really like the skateparks in that area though.
[close]

Try just cruising around for in Roseland/West Pulman area.?  There's perfect spots everywhere and the later in the night you go the less of a bust it is.
[close]
watch out around there, a friend of mine's brother got shot dead in pullman two days ago.?  he was just driving down the street and someone came up and shot him.? 

I was joking.  Sorry to hear.

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #722 on: January 04, 2013, 10:28:17 AM »
For Disney, bring wax if you wanna skate the ledges. You can skate the stairs as a gap (0:26 in the vid I posted), which is kind of big, but you can also skate a 2 block pretty easily there. Lot of manuals, nose bonks and ledge line possibilities. There's also a round flat bar that's pretty high if you go pop if you looking at the big gap and look behind you near the parking lot you see. You can also skate a dumb gap kinda thing against the school there's a pillar I've wanted to see someone wallie (heard it got done, but haven't seen it). Stuff's hard to explain, but I would check it out if you're near Wilson or the general area. Also, the rail is the one he back smiths at 2:45.

Andy Patterson - BUMMER

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:23:30 PM by papasmurfsdog »

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #723 on: January 04, 2013, 05:16:47 PM »
chillout, go use your UPass and take pictures for the good of all mankind.

Being short is the motorcycle of life.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #724 on: January 04, 2013, 07:21:38 PM »

haha. heres my contribution. its not really anything special. i can take you if you want next time we skate

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #725 on: January 05, 2013, 08:04:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

haha. heres my contribution. its not really anything special. i can take you if you want next time we skate

You know, I see it now and it's like "wow, you'd have to be pretty gnarly to skate that". And given my anti-gnar, I'll be taking a pass on that.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #726 on: January 06, 2013, 08:57:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Love that spot. Used to live by there. Never once got the boot.
That's sick that they paved the bottom. I remember other than the brick/concrete area it was grass and dirt. If you skated the big five you had you go diagonally into the brick area. The flat gaps at the top are fun too.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #727 on: January 07, 2013, 06:18:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You know, I see it now and it's like "wow, you'd have to be pretty gnarly to skate that". And given my anti-gnar, I'll be taking a pass on that.

Not really, if you are writing this spot off as too gnarly your spot list sucks.  Those ledges at the top are very low.  You don't have to skate this like a gigantic stair set.

In other news...I just moved a couple miles west of Wilson skatepark, just across the river.

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #728 on: January 07, 2013, 03:17:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Not really, if you are writing this spot off as too gnarly your spot list sucks.  Those ledges at the top are very low.  You don't have to skate this like a gigantic stair set.

In other news...I just moved a couple miles west of Wilson skatepark, just across the river.
we should skate when my foot heals, i'm not too far from there. 

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #729 on: January 07, 2013, 07:16:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
we should skate when my foot heals, i'm not too far from there. 

Are the ledges that jut out able to manualed without falling off into oblivion?

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #730 on: January 08, 2013, 06:50:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Not really, if you are writing this spot off as too gnarly your spot list sucks.?  Those ledges at the top are very low.?  You don't have to skate this like a gigantic stair set.

[close]
we should skate when my foot heals, i'm not too far from there.? 

Deal.  I might hit up Wilson Sunday if it's actually going to be as nice as the weather report says it's going to be.  I've already found a couple good ass spots by my house.

JABRONI

• Rep: 43
« Reply #731 on: January 08, 2013, 08:37:58 AM »
I'll be in Chicago for one night in late April, any suggestions for a neighbourhood to go drinking that isn't overly touristy? Staying near Wicker Park.
Thanks
Ah, greetings, greetings, and salutations. I beg your forgiveness. My tardiness was unavoidable. Rava, my love. Elaine, my dear friend.. And you must be Jerry. Lord of the manor. Ah, my liege. A pleasure to serve you.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #732 on: January 08, 2013, 08:43:50 AM »
I'll be in Chicago for one night in late April, any suggestions for a neighbourhood to go drinking that isn't overly touristy? Staying near Wicker Park.
Thanks

Wicker Park fits that description, so just try out some bars around there.

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #733 on: January 09, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »
Btw, in case none of you knew, Tommy Carroll (the blind skater) is one of ours. He's from the Northwest suburbs and I go to school with him. He'll actually come skate street in Chicago with us, which is the most nuts thing I've ever seen.

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #734 on: January 13, 2013, 05:45:20 PM »
Also, RIP Art Institute.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #735 on: January 14, 2013, 06:13:14 AM »
Also, RIP Art Institute.

For real?  Knobbed?

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #736 on: January 14, 2013, 07:03:34 AM »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #737 on: January 14, 2013, 06:12:44 PM »
Thanks

I live in Wicker Park and I never drink here. It's sort of a pain in the ass. My girl lives in Logan Square and it's a little better but lots of dudes wearing what I believe are tights. I don't leave the blue line much. Fuck.

I'm old and a pussy so I'm not skating when it's 10 degrees, but after this horse shit somebody go skate with me.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #738 on: January 14, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Also, RIP Art Institute.
[close]

For real??  Knobbed?

yeah. knobs on everything.

am i the only one who gets more bummed when they dont sandblast before applying knobs?

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #739 on: January 15, 2013, 06:07:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Thanks
[close]

I live in Wicker Park and I never drink here. It's sort of a pain in the ass. My girl lives in Logan Square and it's a little better but lots of dudes wearing what I believe are tights. I don't leave the blue line much. Fuck.

I'm old and a pussy so I'm not skating when it's 10 degrees, but after this horse shit somebody go skate with me.

How old are you?  I skated a little on Saturday at Wilson.  It wasn't too cold.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #740 on: January 15, 2013, 12:16:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks
[close]

[close]

How old are you??  I skated a little on Saturday at Wilson.?  It wasn't too cold.

saturday was infact pretty nice. skated all day and up until about 5, i was sweating rather than being cold

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #741 on: February 01, 2013, 09:52:43 AM »
https://vimeo.com/53196301

cant embed vimeo video for some reason

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #742 on: February 01, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Right down the street from Wilson, the Walt Disney Magnet School, there's a pretty famous rail out front too. Pretty fun spot. Try not to go there on school days. They haven't ever kicked me out, but have told me to come back when school's out.

Address: 4140 North Marine Drive, Chicago
[close]

Oh damn, that's Disney? I've never been, but I've heard of it. I know the rail you're talking about too. What else is there? Is it a destination spot, or more of a passing-through spot?
[close]

just the stair area and the big rail. pretty boring. you definately have to work to have fun. you need a little extra creativity
Disney? I have a few friends that used to go there. There are also a few handrails at Lane, where I go, and then an interesting spot right in front of Lane stadium.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #743 on: February 01, 2013, 02:40:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Right down the street from Wilson, the Walt Disney Magnet School, there's a pretty famous rail out front too. Pretty fun spot. Try not to go there on school days. They haven't ever kicked me out, but have told me to come back when school's out.

Address: 4140 North Marine Drive, Chicago
[close]

Oh damn, that's Disney? I've never been, but I've heard of it. I know the rail you're talking about too. What else is there? Is it a destination spot, or more of a passing-through spot?
[close]

just the stair area and the big rail. pretty boring. you definately have to work to have fun. you need a little extra creativity
[close]
Disney? I have a few friends that used to go there. There are also a few handrails at Lane, where I go, and then an interesting spot right in front of Lane stadium.

What is this interesting spot?  I just see a four stair

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #744 on: February 01, 2013, 09:08:25 PM »

The hardflip at the end was sick.

Has anyone ever stepped to the gap in front of the Aon center that JT 180ed in Welcome to Hell?

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #745 on: February 01, 2013, 09:39:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Has anyone ever stepped to the gap in front of the Aon center that JT 180ed in Welcome to Hell?

wasnt the whole front of aon different back then? i dont think its doable anymore, but i could be wrong

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #746 on: February 03, 2013, 11:34:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

wasnt the whole front of aon different back then? i dont think its doable anymore, but i could be wrong

Yep, it's been remodeled, and is no longer doable. I checked the first time after recognizing the 180 from the vid being in Chicago.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #747 on: February 03, 2013, 02:54:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Didn't know that. I assumed it was still there.

[close]

Yep, it's been remodeled, and is no longer doable. I checked the first time after recognizing the 180 from the vid being in Chicago.

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #748 on: February 04, 2013, 09:19:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Regardless, Aon is still in the top 5 spots in the city.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #749 on: February 04, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Regardless, Aon is still in the top 5 spots in the city.
Weird. What typed wasn't in my last comment... not sure what I said anyway.

I used to skate there all the time but haven't been there in ages. The last time I was there the handi-rails were knobbed and pretty much only the 3 were skatable.