Author Topic: Chicago.  (Read 218936 times)

chockfullofthat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
Re: Chicago.
« Reply #990 on: January 27, 2014, 12:27:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How bad really is Southside Chicago? Like Normal Blvd area.
[close]

What the fuck do you think it's like in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the world?  If you are a black man especially, you better know somebody who lives there, because if they don't recognize you, you are a threat to them.  It's a war zone.  That said, I know a white 25 year old public school teacher who is a brave girl for being there and hasn't had many stories to tell, but she is known among the community as a teacher and she is generally safe.  No one is trying to shoot teachers, except disturbed suburban white kids.
[close]
Yeah I only listen to music from Chicago and the violence is definitely thriving there. My question was more about like day to day crimes. I like in a bad city/neighborhood, but its not like things happen on the daily. I did see last year though they had 23 homicides in one weekend. Shit is disturbing and I feel for anyone living in that environment.

Well if you are really interested, have a look here for day-to-day crimes:
http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/community/englewood
http://www.heyjackass.com/

Thought-provoking research and analysis:
http://crimelab.uchicago.edu/

Films: 
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/interrupters/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?feature=edit_ok&list=PLdoAu1uCjE-il9fohlkEu2d4-H2SzkgJp

To be honest, as a Northsider it can be easy to forget that the violence exists, but the headlines and the occasional too close to home story is always there.

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #991 on: January 27, 2014, 12:55:54 PM »
Some of the stats on the heyjackass site are kinda tasteless. Shot in the ass stats? Come on. The numbers are definitely disturbing.
I've heard it was worse though in the early 90's and media is trying to blow it out of proportion. 1994 there was 943 homicides which is  double 2013's 415 homicides.

Here's another documentary about music,crime and culture in the Southside.
The Field: Chicago (Documentary About Chicago's Violence, And The Hope Music Brings To The City)

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #992 on: January 27, 2014, 01:28:14 PM »
The website is called heyjackass, enough said. 

You picked the two biggest outliers on the annual murder data to show that the media are blowing things out of proportion.  If anything the media underplays the human element of murder in South Chicago.  It's all statistics, black and white text, and NRA vs Liberal gun-control articles.  The main reason that the crime isn't as bad as it used to be in 1994 for example is because the poorest were forced out of the city from Northside strongholds such as Cabrini-Green and the rapid gentrification of most North and Westside neighborhoods, much like what has happened to Brooklyn.  The South is pretty much untouched in this regard and in a lot of cases, getting worse.

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #993 on: January 27, 2014, 01:37:29 PM »
Makes sense! Sounds like you know your Chicago. Sure you must be disappointed to see it falling apart. Scary how little they value life over there. They talk about how you're a "kid" till about 10 and nothing is ever the same.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #994 on: January 27, 2014, 01:47:59 PM »
Ya, but like I said, if you don't go there you don't notice it really.  It's by no means "falling apart."  If you have some money to spend and like to eat, it's one of the best cities in the world.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #995 on: January 27, 2014, 07:34:25 PM »
The South is pretty much untouched in this regard and in a lot of cases, getting worse.
I don't know, the same has been slowly happening in the south, the city is just pushing it out further south/ southwest. I remember when the south loop used to be pretty fucked, now that's all nice. The Robert Taylor Homes are gone. Hyde Park area and the Near Westside are all different.

The Garfield Park, Lawndale, and Englewood areas have always been fucked. It's another world out there.

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #996 on: January 27, 2014, 08:45:42 PM »
itd be dope if some of you guys helped me get out of the southside on the weekends doing things such as drinking beer and smoking weed somewhere inside thats not cold as fuck
would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #997 on: January 28, 2014, 07:42:39 AM »
Expand Quote
The South is pretty much untouched in this regard and in a lot of cases, getting worse.
[close]
I don't know, the same has been slowly happening in the south, the city is just pushing it out further south/ southwest. I remember when the south loop used to be pretty fucked, now that's all nice. The Robert Taylor Homes are gone. Hyde Park area and the Near Westside are all different.

The Garfield Park, Lawndale, and Englewood areas have always been fucked. It's another world out there.

If Roosevelt is the separating road between the two halves, then I would say it's hardly changed.  South Loop is now very nice, but it's at the very top of the south side and things start to decline rapidly as early as Cermak.  Chicago goes well into the 100's in the south, South Loop is like 14th.  Hyde Park has UC and it's always been a relatively safe enclave in the south, but you have things like the DePaul basketball stadium and shit going right by McCormick place so slowly things are changing.  Englewood, however, is getting an expansion of a loud, pollutant producing freight yard.

As far as west goes, once you leave the UIC campus, on Roosevelt, you're pretty much in North Lawndale already.  Near Westside is North of Roosevelt.  Pilsen is trying to come up, with mixed results.

pencil

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #998 on: January 28, 2014, 08:48:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If Roosevelt is the separating road between the two halves, then I would say it's hardly changed.  South Loop is now very nice, but it's at the very top of the south side and things start to decline rapidly as early as Cermak.  Chicago goes well into the 100's in the south, South Loop is like 14th.  Hyde Park has UC and it's always been a relatively safe enclave in the south, but you have things like the DePaul basketball stadium and shit going right by McCormick place so slowly things are changing.  Englewood, however, is getting an expansion of a loud, pollutant producing freight yard.

As far as west goes, once you leave the UIC campus, on Roosevelt, you're pretty much in North Lawndale already.  Near Westside is North of Roosevelt.  Pilsen is trying to come up, with mixed results.

where do you stay? im off 95th and the only time i get fucked with is going to the redline and getting asked if im interested in dope,hard,loud,etc.  Seriously, ive walked a mile to the redline, at night, in winter, and never been fucked with aside from this one drunk bum trying to snatch my backpack and ending up with a broken knee

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #999 on: January 28, 2014, 09:08:20 AM »
I live in Albany Park.  I'm not saying you are going to die if you walk around the Southside haha, but the economy is fucked, it's full of vacant buildings, food deserts, school closures, a huge gang presence and open air drug markets like you admitted.  Weren't you the one who got blindsided and robbed for his skateboard?

pencil

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1000 on: January 28, 2014, 09:52:37 AM »
I live in Albany Park.  I'm not saying you are going to die if you walk around the Southside haha, but the economy is fucked, it's full of vacant buildings, food deserts, school closures, a huge gang presence and open air drug markets like you admitted.  Weren't you the one who got blindsided and robbed for his skateboard?

Yeah, that was in Cincinnati, like literally the day before I left for Chi and was trying to get a new set up before winter hit.  Beat some fuckboy at a party for talking about how he would fuck my girl in a second "but not disrespectfully" and then him and his buddies jumped me as I left.

The food desert is literally the worst part, I can only eat popeyes, kfc, and churchs so often before it becomes as monotonous as cafeteria food.  The open air drug market is more on the westside, here its not on every corner, and I dont see people smoking blunts on the train, homeless dudes beating off or puking, like I do on the trains that run to the westside

pencil

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1001 on: January 28, 2014, 09:57:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, that was in Cincinnati, like literally the day before I left for Chi and was trying to get a new set up before winter hit.  Beat some fuckboy at a party for talking about how he would fuck my girl in a second "but not disrespectfully" and then him and his buddies jumped me as I left.

The food desert is literally the worst part, I can only eat popeyes, kfc, and churchs so often before it becomes as monotonous as cafeteria food.  The open air drug market is more on the westside, here its not on every corner, and I dont see people smoking blunts on the train, homeless dudes beating off or puking, like I do on the trains that run to the westside

When I got jumped in chicago was just this drunk bum trying to grab my backpack, I just literally was having such shit luck at first I was complaining about getting jumped in chicago along with getting my board taken and I was super drunk at first just missing my sk8bored and trying to make friends :/

Harem

« Reply #1002 on: February 03, 2014, 05:11:23 AM »
What's the weather like in March?

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1003 on: February 03, 2014, 06:07:26 AM »
Usually pretty shitty, you might get lucky tho.

pencil

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1004 on: February 19, 2014, 01:28:49 PM »
i urge everyone to skate today, shit doesnt get anymore perfect than this.  I wore a t-shirt

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #1005 on: February 27, 2014, 02:56:56 PM »
Get there, fam.

Being short is the motorcycle of life.

Ian Dziallo

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1006 on: March 16, 2014, 07:05:46 PM »
I just saw some pictures and videos of the new Drop In, and sadly it looks pretty terrible.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
« Reply #1007 on: March 17, 2014, 06:59:58 AM »
I just saw some pictures and videos of the new Drop In, and sadly it looks pretty terrible.

Super disappointing

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1008 on: March 17, 2014, 02:15:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Super disappointing

Backyard construction quality right there

pencil

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1009 on: March 19, 2014, 10:10:53 AM »
pics?

Ian Dziallo

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1010 on: March 19, 2014, 07:03:03 PM »

pencil

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1011 on: March 20, 2014, 08:09:19 AM »
ooooooooooo.....

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1012 on: March 21, 2014, 09:01:13 AM »
61 Degrees today gents! Get out there!

pencil

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1013 on: March 23, 2014, 09:06:28 PM »
fuckin snowed today

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1014 on: April 02, 2014, 10:29:26 AM »
Here is a couple pics.
http://web.stagram.com/p/676136566636405796_10305248

It's baffling when someone makes shit this bad in this day and age. Just set fire to a pile of money or something.

I lived near Chicago for school but I haven't been back for close to 15 years now. I do miss it (but not the winters). I really liked cruising through the Loop and dodging people on Michigan Ave. I have a very fond memory of skating at night, coming over that bridge Jamie Thomas rides over in Welcome To Hell, hauling ass along the river and ollieing a little 3-4 stair that I hadn't scoped out before, then riding on. Yeah, not very impressive but for whatever reason it felt amazing and I remember the feeling like it was yesterday.

I guess some of the big spots like the Post Office were starting to become busts around that time but I never had too much trouble with cops. I remember a bank to curb spot under the Sears Tower (is that still there?), a plaza with ledges that were shaped like letters or numbers, and a 6" high kinked hubba down by the lake that was super easy and fun.

If anyone ever finds a barely ridden Kevin Taylor "secret agent" board with Ventures in the water by the Seawall, that was mine. (It could conceivably still be there, I watched it slowly sink into a crack between two giant rocks...)

For my dumb white boy story: I never went that far South but the first time I walked to Chinatown I followed the signs down Michigan to Cermak. It was basically a wasteland at this point. I stopped in a weeded lot to piss and realized I was stepping on someone's sleeping bag. Whoops. Got to Cermak and walked by some high-rise projects (Robert Taylor?) where a few people actually yelled "Get the fuck out of here white boy!"
Some guy gets in my face and mumbles "What's up man, you s???????"
"No thanks, I'm cool."
"You ain't STRAIGHT!?? You a FAGGOT?!?"

Good times!

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1015 on: April 02, 2014, 12:11:38 PM »
Expand Quote

It's baffling when someone makes shit this bad in this day and age. Just set fire to a pile of money or something.

I lived near Chicago for school but I haven't been back for close to 15 years now. I do miss it (but not the winters). I really liked cruising through the Loop and dodging people on Michigan Ave. I have a very fond memory of skating at night, coming over that bridge Jamie Thomas rides over in Welcome To Hell, hauling ass along the river and ollieing a little 3-4 stair that I hadn't scoped out before, then riding on. Yeah, not very impressive but for whatever reason it felt amazing and I remember the feeling like it was yesterday.

I guess some of the big spots like the Post Office were starting to become busts around that time but I never had too much trouble with cops. I remember a bank to curb spot under the Sears Tower (is that still there?), a plaza with ledges that were shaped like letters or numbers, and a 6" high kinked hubba down by the lake that was super easy and fun.

If anyone ever finds a barely ridden Kevin Taylor "secret agent" board with Ventures in the water by the Seawall, that was mine. (It could conceivably still be there, I watched it slowly sink into a crack between two giant rocks...)

For my dumb white boy story: I never went that far South but the first time I walked to Chinatown I followed the signs down Michigan to Cermak. It was basically a wasteland at this point. I stopped in a weeded lot to piss and realized I was stepping on someone's sleeping bag. Whoops. Got to Cermak and walked by some high-rise projects (Robert Taylor?) where a few people actually yelled "Get the fuck out of here white boy!"
Some guy gets in my face and mumbles "What's up man, you s???????"
"No thanks, I'm cool."
"You ain't STRAIGHT!?? You a FAGGOT?!?"

Good times!

If you were walking past Robert Taylor and they shouted that, they might've been shouting that for your own good. You most likely would not be here otherwise.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1016 on: April 02, 2014, 05:34:07 PM »
Just checked a map: it was not Robert Taylor Homes (way farther south) it was the area between the Hillard Homes projects and The Howard Ickes Homes. Apparently the Hillard Homes got a $100mil makeover and became condos. They look like mini versions of the Corncob towers. They used to have fenced in balconies filled with mattresses and trash.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #1017 on: May 07, 2014, 03:33:12 PM »
Has anyone here ever skated UIC? I've been eating to hit it up for a while but I don't know how much of a bust it is.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #1018 on: May 08, 2014, 07:22:45 AM »
Usually don't get too much trouble there in the summer.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #1019 on: May 08, 2014, 02:45:32 PM »
Is it cool if I go alone, the reason I'm asking so much is because in Minny the U of M is a complete bust

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down