Author Topic: Los Gatos , CA ?  (Read 2428 times)

Monty Burns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
Los Gatos , CA ?
« on: January 03, 2011, 08:21:18 AM »
Anybody from there ?

whats the scene like ? friendly helpful ppl ?  nice skateshops ? lots of spots ? DIY ? skateparks ?
good clubs ? bars ? 

hows public transportation ?

how long would it take to go to San Jose ? or San Francisco ?   by train or driving  ?

any info would be great ! thanks in advance !

Trickskatin

• Rep: 53
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Los Gatos , CA ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 11:06:25 AM »
Anybody from there ?

whats the scene like ? friendly helpful ppl ?  nice skateshops ? lots of spots ? DIY ? skateparks ?
good clubs ? bars ? 

how long would it take to go to San Jose ? or San Francisco ?   by train or driving  ?

I'm not from Los Gatos, but I've been there a couple times to skate. There's some street spots you'll recognize from the Tiltmode videos. I don't think they have a skatepark yet but San Jose is like a 15-20 minute drive and theres plenty of parks there. San Francisco is just under an hour away. If I remember correctly, the train runs through Los Gatos so public transportation to SJ and SF should be pretty easy. Wish I had more info for you. Are you moving there?

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 07:09:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Anybody from there ?

good clubs ? bars ? 

[close]

I'm not from Los Gatos, but I've been there a couple times to skate. There's some street spots you'll recognize from the Tiltmode videos. I don't think they have a skatepark yet but San Jose is like a 15-20 minute drive and theres plenty of parks there. San Francisco is just under an hour away. If I remember correctly, the train runs through Los Gatos so public transportation to SJ and SF should be pretty easy. Wish I had more info for you. Are you moving there?

I might be , even thought its not for skateboarding , its good to know if its a good place to skate , kinda stoked its so close to SJ and SF anyways .

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:06:00 AM »
If it still exists and I'm not getting the town wrong, NC boardshop, the one that released the first tilt mode video, is in Los Gatos.
Los Gatos is basically the wealthy, semi-rural suburb on the southern edge of the San Jose sprawl, just north of satan's highway 17 to the land of sinners that is Santa Cruz. A good chunk of spots you associate with San Jose are littered throughout this sprawl, and you aren't too far from SJ itself. There's a bunch of stuff to find, basically Los Gatos is in the "San Jose area."
Los Gatos itself kinda sucks for nightlife, its wealthy, kinda sleepy, in a pretty wooded area if I remember right, just not really a party town in any of the traditional senses.
If you are in the area and can get a car, I'd also reccomend a day trip down to Santa Cruz. Its fucking beautiful down there, they got the beach, the redwoods, the skatepark with a fullpipe, derby, and you can probably find somebody to smoke you out without really trying if that's your thing. Don't start shit with any of the locals though. They get violent and although not all of them are like this, there are a few who would love nothing more than an excuse to beat the shit out of a tourist who got out of line. And there are some gnarly locals down there. That's where Andy Roy lives. But don't take that as a warning not to go. I lived there for years and did fine, and Andy Roy is polite and down to earth if you see him at a skatepark, I mean, he's a rapist drug addict, but he's polite.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 12:28:38 AM »
If it still exists and I'm not getting the town wrong, NC boardshop, the one that released the first tilt mode video, is in Los Gatos.
Los Gatos is basically the wealthy, semi-rural suburb on the southern edge of the San Jose sprawl, just north of satan's highway 17 to the land of sinners that is Santa Cruz. A good chunk of spots you associate with San Jose are littered throughout this sprawl, and you aren't too far from SJ itself. There's a bunch of stuff to find, basically Los Gatos is in the "San Jose area."
Los Gatos itself kinda sucks for nightlife, its wealthy, kinda sleepy, in a pretty wooded area if I remember right, just not really a party town in any of the traditional senses.
If you are in the area and can get a car, I'd also reccomend a day trip down to Santa Cruz. Its fucking beautiful down there, they got the beach, the redwoods, the skatepark with a fullpipe, derby, and you can probably find somebody to smoke you out without really trying if that's your thing. Don't start shit with any of the locals though. They get violent and although not all of them are like this, there are a few who would love nothing more than an excuse to beat the shit out of a tourist who got out of line. And there are some gnarly locals down there. That's where Andy Roy lives. But don't take that as a warning not to go. I lived there for years and did fine, and Andy Roy is polite and down to earth if you see him at a skatepark, I mean, he's a rapist drug addict, but he's polite.

Los Gatos sounds ok , but I guess Ill head to SF and SJ to skate and party . Could be fun to travel around Cali on my days off too and see LA and Sacre , Santa Cruz .

And ppl picking fights and such is basicly the same in any city in any country , Ive lived long enough to know what ppl to hang out with , I like relaxed ppl not spazzes who cause trouble .

Might be fun to go back to America again , so thanks for the info , getting more stoked on the idea of a move there

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 07:16:37 PM »
LA is nowhere near los gatos. its like 7 hours or something. Its actually a longer trip than SF to LA despite technically being closer.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 06:48:50 AM »
LA is nowhere near los gatos. its like 7 hours or something. Its actually a longer trip than SF to LA despite technically being closer.

I live in Sydney now , so Los Gatos to LA is alot shorter trip then from sydney to LA . Take the flight or train to LA in less then 1 day stay over night and go home next day , or fly over and have 2 days there then back to work

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 11:21:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I live in Sydney now , so Los Gatos to LA is alot shorter trip then from sydney to LA . Take the flight or train to LA in less then 1 day stay over night and go home next day , or fly over and have 2 days there then back to work
Good point. I fully back you on that decision now. Its actually a 1 hour flight (+ 2-3 hours enter/exit airport time)

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 06:48:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Good point. I fully back you on that decision now. Its actually a 1 hour flight (+ 2-3 hours enter/exit airport time)

How much money would I need for about 3 months of US time , Ill eat for free at my workplace basicly , thats like 5 days aweek . but other then that ?  I might be able to stay at a friends but realisticly  . right now Im thinking of a budget of about 2000 USD - 3000 USD . Im mostly there to work but some party and skating will go down

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 08:07:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

How much money would I need for about 3 months of US time , Ill eat for free at my workplace basicly , thats like 5 days aweek . but other then that ?  I might be able to stay at a friends but realisticly  . right now Im thinking of a budget of about 2000 USD - 3000 USD . Im mostly there to work but some party and skating will go down

You'd have to be willing to live very light in order to make it 3 months on $3k in the bay or LA.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 11:36:49 PM »
So either Ill cut down on the time for the first trip over , to maybe 2 months , or try 3 if i got a free place to stay .

Or just make a better effort at saving up money .  Would be stupid of me to go over and not do up SJ , SF and LA in a tourist way
and skate on my days off as much as possible

work consumes my life sometimes abit too much ,  thanks for the help gipper ! ill do some updates later

lostcat

• Rep: 0
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 01:31:22 PM »

1 and 2 - yup

3 - I didn't know Andy Roy lived here.  That's funny shit.

Los Gatos sucks.  Move somewhere nearby and commute.  Santa Cruz would be prime; like Reagan mentioned there are spots and the weather, also surfing (both beginner/longboard 'chill' spots and gnarrer waves).  As a local I've never had to deal with anyone hating me for being a tourist, and I can vouch for there being gnarly locals.  However a lot of the animosity towards tourists is hatred towards San Jose; seriously, people from SF get a better reception, and you being from Australia would be more of a novelty than a source of hate.

Also $3000 for 3 months is undoable if you want to live with any breathing room.  Rents in the Bay are high, and if you do commute gas adds up.  But I wouldn't settle for Los Gatos; Santa Cruz is the closest, but there are cool towns in most parts of the Bay Area.  Actually, I wouldn't even settle for San Jose or the Peninsula.  I'd say SC, SF or the East Bay.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 07:38:46 PM »
I was a slug, so every now and then I'd feel some hate. Never got an ass kicking, and it never happened at the skatepark, it would be at parties and shit usually.
Are they paying you $3k? if so, can aussie's on a work visa get EBT? That would help.