Author Topic: NEW Puleo Interview!  (Read 64622 times)

strangefires

Re: NEW Puleo Interview!
« Reply #240 on: January 28, 2011, 10:33:12 AM »

Expand Quote
Take away the skateboard, and Puleo is just another pretentious NYC hipster.
[close]

puleo got to ny well before the hipsters took over

isn't this pretentious sentiment the foundation of all hipsterdom?

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #241 on: January 28, 2011, 10:44:49 AM »
i think hes referring to people who change their names like alex olson who used to go by alex parker and then he changed it back when people started making jokes about it.

strangefires

« Reply #242 on: January 28, 2011, 10:46:14 AM »
i think hes referring to people who change their names like alex olson who used to go by alex parker and then he changed it back when people started making jokes about it.

hipster vs hipster

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #243 on: January 28, 2011, 10:54:50 AM »
huh? are you serious? he went by that name so people would immediately identify him with his father. It's clear to me now, you guys just aren't smart, that's why you don't understand skateboarding.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #244 on: January 28, 2011, 11:01:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
huh? are you serious? he went by that name so people would immediately identify him with his father. It's clear to me now, you guys just aren't smart, that's why you don't understand skateboarding.

you understand that he went by alex parker for the longest time or are you choosing to ignore the years he was on flow for every team in skateboarding? people bothered him and he changed it back. theres nothing to argue. its even in a toy machine tour video.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:04:15 AM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

Inbred Jed

« Reply #245 on: January 28, 2011, 11:01:28 AM »
He should change his name to Alex Member's Only Jacket is he plans on keeping it real

newhampster

• Rep: 7
« Reply #246 on: January 28, 2011, 11:03:09 AM »

Expand Quote
Take away the skateboard, and Puleo is just another pretentious NYC hipster.
[close]

puleo got to ny well before the hipsters took over

The amount of time he has spent in NY has nothing to do with the fact that he comes across as extremely pretentious. 

strangefires

« Reply #247 on: January 28, 2011, 11:10:50 AM »
It's clear to me now, you guys just aren't smart

masterfully timed revelation

ginz2

• Rep: 4
  • i seent it.
« Reply #248 on: January 28, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
bobby puleo on fabo les
grom n proud

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #249 on: January 28, 2011, 11:44:39 AM »
i'll be camped outside j.crew when they release the puleo poncho this spring. 

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
« Reply #250 on: January 28, 2011, 12:06:49 PM »
bobby puleo on fabo les
not likely. bobby's fabo levels decreased rapidly after the infms video, depleting him of all fabo around 2002. today, bobby's fabo levels are so far in the negatives, he actually owes us fabo.

Inbred Jed

« Reply #251 on: January 28, 2011, 12:34:02 PM »
i'll be camped outside j.crew when they release the puleo poncho this spring. 

You mean Baja Hoodie, right?

Headcrusher

• Rep: -49
« Reply #252 on: January 28, 2011, 03:33:29 PM »
man Bobby Puleo is such a fucking mark.  totally backpedaling on his words.  of course he meant to call out those dudes,  now he's trying to say he meant to use their names in reference to garments from J Crew???  hahahh what a fucking pussy.  yeah OK he's never seen them skate, or hasnt watched any videos lately.... then how the fuck do yo know what companies these guys skate for, as you mention in your little pussy letter.  fuck you Bobby Puleo. stop crying about not making money on skating and move on. 
"We got Ronson Lambert... Pretty much the Carroll of the 21st century." - Danny Way

AnklePants

• Rep: -10
« Reply #253 on: January 28, 2011, 03:35:03 PM »
I do agree with spot rape.

In particular ledge spots.

Zimmerman

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #256 on: January 30, 2011, 07:25:18 AM »
Id like to hear from Kindu on this , Kindu has always been the nightlight in the dark .

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #257 on: January 30, 2011, 07:47:35 AM »
not giving a fuck 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 giving a fuck this guy's like an 11.

Posting an new interview to respond to internet comments? You know shit's bad when other people's names become the focus of your interview. Twice.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #258 on: January 30, 2011, 08:28:41 AM »
i met this guy the other day who called himself Chris Jones.  are you fucking kidding me!

i swear to god it made want to kick a baby in the face.

Rutger Hauer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #259 on: January 30, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »
So...basically skateboarding progressed but Bobby didn't and now his mad that it's kind of different than 10-15years ago? Did I get it right? Am and old fart pretty much myself also and hate a bunch of stuff but apparently I know where to look and where not to 'cause my view on skateboarding is pretty damn positive.
"I don't know what my appeal is. I can see I've got blue eyes and don't look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame but I can't understand the fuss."

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #260 on: January 30, 2011, 04:23:54 PM »
http://quartersnacks.com/2011/01/the-parallel-between-bobby-puleo-albert-pike/

A handful of people inquired about this site?s opinion on a recent Bobby Puleo interview (although the word ?interview? should be used lightly, as the rubric of journalistic standards doesn?t exactly lean in favor of an interview with someone being published on their own media outlet, as opposed to an unbiased third party?s platform.) Between insisting that Austyn Gillette skates like the remaining millions of skateboarders, the fact that this website is guilty of showing people from other places spots (i.e. showing the entire world spots), and knowing the ?What the hell?? factor that arose from an early screening of Deathbowl to Downtown, where this guy?s influence (which he mistakes for everyone else?s lack of creativity) was able to contort history so much that someone could claim he ?Pioneered the New York style of skating,? we?re going to stay out of this one. The whole thing comes off as a skateboard-equivalent of one of those conversations where someone will rattle off five artists that ?ruined hip-hop,? while championing the fact that Ghostface has made the same album for five years in a row.

Nevertheless, Billy Rohan, a native of Florida, a state mentioned as one of the corrosive forces behind the declining state of ?art? in skateboarding, wrote a significantly more bigger-picture-encompassing response on his website, which aligns with a lot of where this website?s beliefs stand:

?Whether or not this interview destroys his skate career has no relevance in your mid-thirties. The true legacy of Robert Puleo will rest with art historians 200 years from now in museums throughout the country. Much like Pike, who spent his final days being taken care of by his fraternity brothers with just enough money to survive and who eventually died penniless, only to be entombed in America?s sacred pyramid years after his death.

So to does Bobby Puleo at the least deserve to have the respect and care of the brotherhood of skaters that recognize his devotion and contribution to the art of skateboarding. Theres a much larger world out there waiting for Bobby Puleo, his Mausoleum in skateboarding will live in the minds of people who grew up listing to Wu-Tang, watching him skate in the Infamous video, La Luz, Static and Mad Circle [videos], who said to themselves, ?I want to leave my shitty town in Florida and skate that dope marble shit in NYC or SF or London.? Not because we wanted to take you out, but because you inspired us to think differently about our surroundings and all that?s out there to be explored. Thank you Bobby Puleo. If this is your farewell interview for skateboarding, where ever you rest and no matter how much money you don?t have, the ideas you sparked in thousands of street skaters across the world will never be replaced with marketing money.?[\quote]

http://billysnuts.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-puleo-interview.html
Expand Quote
Puleo in his own way has traveled the world and become a self taught genius in the craft of skateboarding. The chapters of his book are almost undecipherable to the modern skater as the complex puzzels of spots others would never think to approach. They seemed to be made for Bobby, almost as if they found him as long as he did his part and kept lurking in the shadows drawing these diamonds out of the coal thru his illuminating process that made perfect since to him but could never be understood to the average mind. The culmination of Bobby Artwork is a very simialar process. It seems easy to explain "found art" right? The problem is that after visiting one of Bobbys art shows you realize that the art finds him he just happens to understand the universe in a way that where most are blinded by material illusion he is guided to the most ubscure places on earth to connect the dots of his complex life. Whether or not this interview destroys his skate career has no relivance in your mid thirties. The true legacy of Robert Puleo will rest with art historians 200 years from now in museums thru out the country. Much like Pike who spent his final days being taken care of by his fraternity brothers with just enough money to survive and who eventuly died pennyless only to be entombed in Americas sacred Pyramid years after his death.

So to does Bobby Puleo at the least deserve to have the respect and care of the brotherhood of skaters that reconize his devotion and contribution to the art of skateboarding. Theres a much larger world out there waiting for Bobby Puleo his Mausoleum in skateboarding will live in the minds of people who grew up listing to Wu tang watching him skate in the Infamous videos,La Luz, Static and Mad circle and said to themselves " I want to leave my shitty town in Florida and skate that dope marble shit in NYC or SF or London." Not because we wanted to take you out but because you inspried us to think differently about are surroundings and all thats out there to be explored. Thank you Bobby Puleo if this is your fair well interview for skateboarding where ever you rest and no matter how much money you dont have the ideas you sparked in thousand of street skaters across the world will never be replace with maketing money. We will always be reminded of a different time which served as a foundation for the next generation of kids to have much more than we ever thought possible thru skateboarding.

Peace Brother.

"What we do for ourselves alone dies with us ; what we do for others and the world remains and is immortal " - Albert Pike
Click Here for more on Pike

"I skate about 3 or 4 days a week. I gotta work now. I basically make no money from skateboarding these days. Isn't that insane?"- Bobby Puleo
[close]

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #261 on: February 24, 2011, 11:50:15 AM »
He shares a lot of the same sentiments in this interview without coming off as the most bitter person ever.  At this point nobody besides bobby was skating in this way and with how common the "creative spot searching" approach is now it's understandable that he would be off put about the lack of respect and acknowledgment he's been given.  He's still out of his mind though.  Hopefully the Greatest Misses DVD is out soon.

wheee!

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #262 on: February 24, 2011, 09:37:15 PM »
 i dont understand how bobby puleo can claim he invented 'looking for skatespots'. that is the most regular shit i have ever heard.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #263 on: February 24, 2011, 10:09:15 PM »
that cellar door gap to noseblunt shot is one of the most rugged things i've ever seen god damn!
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #264 on: February 24, 2011, 11:09:28 PM »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2011, 12:00:51 PM »
I was reading an issue of SLAP and there was a section where they were asking pros what their all time favorite covers were, and Bobby chose his own cover.

I immediately thought of this thread.

huh

• Rep: -5
« Reply #266 on: February 28, 2011, 02:29:13 AM »
damn man, thanks a lot for those scans! definitely my favorite puleo photos I've ever seen! that back three really is soooo good. La Luz era is da best. thanks again!

and I definitely see what you're saying about him kinda touching upon the same shit he came across so strong about in this recent interview, but he's just much more positive and optimistic about everything in the old one.

shit man, all these sick sequences make me excited for whatever in the fuck greatest misses might have actually!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:34:01 AM by huh »

Patrick2G

• Rep: -299
« Reply #267 on: February 28, 2011, 04:43:01 PM »
i love everything about puleo, dude keeps it real. backing him and traffic 100%

How can you say that when he says such whack shit? He has some good points but he contradicts himself and just hates. It's just skateboarding.

strangefires

« Reply #268 on: February 28, 2011, 08:12:31 PM »
i dont understand how bobby puleo can claim he invented 'looking for skatespots'. that is the most regular shit i have ever heard.

lolol

rmoto

« Reply #269 on: March 14, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »
Can't wait for the "Greatest Misses" dvd to come out!