Author Topic: NEW Puleo Interview!  (Read 64581 times)

Beer Wizard

Re: NEW Puleo Interview!
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 05:16:55 PM »
Love it.

sx70

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 37
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »
does anyone know where to find photos he's shot?

Possum Brotherhood

• Rep: 3
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 05:49:07 PM »
He hides them in a time-lock safe.  He doesn't like it when other people, especially skaters, know where he's been.

Exclusivity is the new creativity!

UncleBobo

• Rep: 64
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 05:58:56 PM »
pretty sure that tailisliding the car bumper uptown wasnt the ripndip dudes but other florida heads

thats such a good story though.....especially the part where they jump the kids and break his vx over his head...how you gunna LEAVE that out???? now everyone can tell there friends.....or atleast thats what i heard

but oh yeah puleo

if i went from being a pro skateboarder to working as a bus boy or whatever the fuck he does id be bitter too....harsh

scottp014

• Rep: 1
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 06:34:42 PM »
i love everything about puleo, dude keeps it real. backing him and traffic 100%

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 06:41:06 PM »
Its funny because in the second page he talks about how kids are uncreative these days, and how internet videos are ruining everything. Its funny because the picture on that page is of him ollieing a bank to bank gap that I swear I saw Aaron Herrington frontside 180 in a line in some internet clip.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

A.J.K.

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 06:45:53 PM »
Its funny because in the second page he talks about how kids are uncreative these days, and how internet videos are ruining everything. Its funny because the picture on that page is of him ollieing a bank to bank gap that I swear I saw Aaron Herrington frontside 180 in a line in some internet clip.
Thought of this too, YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

1:17

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »
LOCALS ONLY BRAH!!!! THIS IS OUR LINE-UP!!! GREEN ROOM SHAKA COWABUNGAAAAAA!!!!!

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2011, 07:05:23 PM »
LOCALS ONLY BRAH!!!! THIS IS OUR LINE-UP!!! GREEN ROOM SHAKA COWABUNGAAAAAA!!!!!

Cold Pizza

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2011, 07:19:50 PM »
Complete truth........I love seeing everyone trying to cop him out by saying he's "bitter" just because they got a slap back to reality.  Shit's funny..........

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 07:51:21 PM »
i knew this would be a good thread

as i was reading it my first thought was that he was just bitter, maybe even a little jealous. but i realized he's just being honest and he's probably right on a few things. i don't agree with his shit talking on traveling and diversifying trick selections. but it is ridiculous he doesn't make money from skateboarding, after the role be played in what it is. most of it is going to an aristocratic group of pro skaters, some of which don't even skate anymore, although dyrdek is building skateparks while puleo is hiding spots. and picturing him working a shitty job is a pretty sobering thought. the fun can't last forever.

and the whole shoe thing is always good to think about. people used to scoff at nike/adidas/reebok's repeated attempts at entering the market. but, airwalks used to be the shit too, so i guess change is just inevitable and their programs may fall apart and become a joke once again. maybe in 2013 airwalks will be back in a big way! but let's hope not.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2011, 08:24:56 PM »
I still find it funny that he skates a spot somebody else already did in a photo on the same page as him bitching about people just going to spots other people have already skated.
Also, just to be a dick, what kind of guy moves across the country to a hotspot city and descends on the local spots?
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
^ That Guy ^

I do like Puleo's skating and credit him with bringing a lot of cool shit into skating, but sometimes he says questionable/hillarious shit.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:32:17 PM by Ronald Wilson Reagan »

icybear187

• Rep: -48
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2011, 08:33:06 PM »
I still find it funny that he skates a spot somebody else already did in a photo on the same page as him bitching about people just going to spots other people have already skated.

I find it funny given your own skate ability's, your willing to comment on anyone else's skating with any sense of confidence.....  You're a fucking mark. 

Magic Pizza

• Rep: 175
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2011, 08:34:25 PM »
I loved everything about that interview. Keeps it real as shit.

Video parts are always 100% more entertaining when someone skates their own spots in their own city i.e. Kevin Coakley.

Definately. There may be some parts that sound like an angry dude, but there's a lot to be pissed about when you're a veteran pro and street skating has gone from a small, authentic culture of troubled kids from broken homes, to a corporate backed fashion show that only a handful of real skaters still own, and you're on the outskirts.

Same goes for Ricky and a lot of others. It's called being pissed and being human.

Then again, to me this is all about a world I have no part in. I can't identify with him because I've always been that kid that just skates the same hometown spots, I've always worked a shit job and never had money to travel just to skate. Skating is just a hobby, no money just enjoyment and purpose.

Chris Partlow

• Rep: 1
  • dont worry boss i got you covered, quick and clean
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2011, 08:35:59 PM »
dude definitely over thinks something that is supposed to be fun and simple

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2011, 08:39:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I find it funny given your own skate ability's, your willing to comment on anyone else's skating with any sense of confidence.....  You're a fucking mark. 
What do you know about my skating "ability's?" Not to mention it wasn't really a comment on his skating ability at all... Why you coming trying to pick fights?

blankbutbranded

• Rep: 137
  • Scut Farkus homebwaye
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »
I'm not down with 50% of his statements...Let's say a fucking piece of shit moron from Kentucky or Ohio come to NY and kickflip a gap into a purple and red cellar door in fucking Queens,i mean what it will change to YOU and YOUR fucking footy or your little Yankees crew ?? nothing,the planet Earth is for anyone.

Puleo is great but he's fucking lonely...he try too hard to be a Robert DeNiro with no cash.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2011, 08:51:11 PM »
I know I got beat to it but yeah if it wasn't for Bobby moving to San Francisco and getting a part in Penal Code I would have never heard of him. Dude is super bitter and comes off like a prick. Someone give him a hug, he needs it.

spare change

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2011, 08:52:51 PM »
it is ridiculous he doesn't make money from skateboarding, after the role be played in what it is.
He could but as stated he has values and morals that he abides by, and making money off a corporate entity is treason in his eyes.
I respect everything he said in his interview even if I don't wholeheartedly agree with it.

Laban Fetus

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 08:56:59 PM »
dude definitely over thinks something that is supposed to be fun and simple
Agreed. I remember in another interview he was all gassed about everyone biting "his style"
You're not a 19th century painter Bobby, you ride a plank on wheels. Get over it

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2011, 08:58:23 PM »
And how can you dis Ben Raybourne? Dude is one of the sickest skaters out right now.

dankradschwag

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2011, 09:12:24 PM »
hmmm... kinda strange, i posted in the puleo-appreciation-thread yesterday, and today i read this.. kinda disappointing interview. i mean, a lot of what he says is true, still he seems so over it. and hating on gillettes skating is plain stupid.

yeah, you're right. hating on the kid that they pulled out of a vogue catalog and started the metamorphasis of habitat into this element hybrid is stupid. i doubt puleo is bitter, he's just dissapointed at what skating has become, and none of you really even know what he's talking about.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2011, 09:18:41 PM »
There's definitely grains of truth in here (or at least justified opinion) but he goes way too far with his "keeping it real at all costs" attitude. Street skating as we know it wouldn't exist if no one was "allowed" to skate a spot that they hadn't found themselves. In all his studies of the "structures and struggles of humanity" he should probably have recognized by now that the eventual commodification of subcultures is pretty much a fact of life in the 21st century, and there's little that can be done to reverse it. People will still continue to skateboard, however, long past the time that it ceases to be culturally relevant or profitable. Maybe if he waits long enough skateboarding will become as cool as him again someday?

P.S. Austyn Gillete's skating>Bobby Puleo's skating (values have not been adjusted according to the SSBSTS scale of skate-flation).

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 559
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2011, 09:22:15 PM »
pretty sure that tailisliding the car bumper uptown wasnt the ripndip dudes but other florida heads

thats such a good story though.....especially the part where they jump the kids and break his vx over his head...how you gunna LEAVE that out???? now everyone can tell there friends.....or atleast thats what i heard

dudes from ripndip grinded the bumper.  later, other dudes from florida were skating there, and the locals blamed them.  they got jumped, their camera got smashed, and one of them got their jaw broken.

the video of the incident, and skating from the dudes who got jumped, is here:

http://whatit.be/assets/vid/skateboarding/dot_edits/mixed_bag/harbormasters_nyc.mp4
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:27:49 PM by mandibleclaw »
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

kreamteamWill

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2011, 09:35:59 PM »
puleo i love your skating ? but you're bumming me out.

as a kid who came from a tiny town in montana to recently moving to a big city, i fall into this transplant bandwagon...but fuck, what am i gonna do? not skate??? fuck that for the first time in my life i live in a place with a spot on every block and a skatepark in every nieghborhood and im going to skate as much as i can. i agree with him talking about established pros trying to cash in a little on NY while its still hot though. when i travel i like to experience a place beyond just skating it, get to know the vibe and the culture of a city, but for fuck sake i want to skate it too. and if its dope why not film it? skating is an amazing gift why not take it to new places beyond just your city. i know if i stayed in montana my skating would have died becuase there was nothing left to explore. if i took puleos advice and just stayed there forever i would have eventually quit. i think being stubborn will just kill your love of skating.

i am glad that the victim shirts are cooler then i thought they would, but to me its still seems like a slogan a fat goth chick would wear.

dont get me wrong though, im all for team street skate, keep it real, cellar door, working class skater dudes. but i dont got time for your negativity.

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »
Bobby isnt too cool these days unfortunately. �I disagree with a lot of shit he says, although there's tid bits of truth.

I will say though he makes some really hard spots look easy. �Other times he does easy tricks at never been skated spots and he as he puts it "gets away with murder"

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »
P.S. Austyn Gillete's skating>Bobby Puleo's skating (values have not been adjusted according to the SSBSTS scale of skate-flation).

Austyn Gillete is unarguably better than Puleo right now in a technical sense, but he will never in his career drop a more gritty and aesthetically pleasing part than this, not even with the finest tailored fit garments J Crew will ever manufacture.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2011, 09:55:05 PM »
austyn gillette is like 100000000000000000000000000000 times better than puleo, with way better style. He skates gay spots way better than puleo ever did, or could.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2011, 09:59:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

dudes from ripndip grinded the bumper.  later, other dudes from florida were skating there, and the locals blamed them.  they got jumped, their camera got smashed, and one of them got their jaw broken.

http://whatit.be/assets/vid/skateboarding/dot_edits/mixed_bag/harbormasters_nyc.mp4

got jumped? i see like 8 skateboarders in that video.
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 559
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2011, 10:04:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

dudes from ripndip grinded the bumper.  later, other dudes from florida were skating there, and the locals blamed them.  they got jumped, their camera got smashed, and one of them got their jaw broken.

[close]

got jumped? i see like 8 skateboarders in that video.

i use "jumped" as a term to imply that a large group of people came up with the intent of fighting them from the onset (and subsequently fought them).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:12:32 PM by mandibleclaw »
We are a noble sport more noble than any other