Author Topic: NEW Puleo Interview!  (Read 64685 times)

kilgore.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: NEW Puleo Interview!
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2011, 10:08:05 PM »
oh.
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

dudestbro

• Rep: 1
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2011, 10:12:34 PM »
puleo i love your skating ? but you're bumming me out.

as a kid who came from a tiny town in montana to recently moving to a big city, i fall into this transplant bandwagon...but fuck, what am i gonna do? not skate??? fuck that for the first time in my life i live in a place with a spot on every block and a skatepark in every nieghborhood and im going to skate as much as i can. i agree with him talking about established pros trying to cash in a little on NY while its still hot though. when i travel i like to experience a place beyond just skating it, get to know the vibe and the culture of a city, but for fuck sake i want to skate it too. and if its dope why not film it? skating is an amazing gift why not take it to new places beyond just your city. i know if i stayed in montana my skating would have died becuase there was nothing left to explore. if i took puleos advice and just stayed there forever i would have eventually quit. i think being stubborn will just kill your love of skating.

i am glad that the victim shirts are cooler then i thought they would, but to me its still seems like a slogan a fat goth chick would wear.

dont get me wrong though, im all for team street skate, keep it real, cellar door, working class skater dudes. but i dont got time for your negativity.

This, basically.

Also, funny story, I had to tell Mr. Puleo and his friend they couldn't skate the cellar door spot in front of my work once.

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2011, 10:14:31 PM »
austyn gillette is like 100000000000000000000000000000 times better than puleo, with way better style. He skates gay spots way better than puleo ever did, or could.

As I said before, "Austyn Gillette is unarguably better than Puleo right now in a technical sense." Him being "better" than him isn't up for debate, but I disagree with him having better style. You could watch a silhouette of Puleo skating and you would instantly know who it was. I don't know if you could say the same thing about Gillette.

As far as "gay" spots go, Gillette front boarded one of the gayest spots of all time @39. Clipper is right around the corner from the Castro. Puleo can't fuck with that.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2011, 10:16:54 PM »
I could watch a silhouette of any skater and tell who it was, because I'm not mentally regular.

Crunchy Nacho

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2011, 10:22:48 PM »
Actually its a pretty accurate description of Austyn Gillette.

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2011, 10:36:49 PM »
Gillette is still sick but Puleo's Static 2 part will forever be one of my top 5 parts I watch to get pumped before going skating. The only reason I ever made the comparison was because Puleo dropped his name and the J Crew description was hilarious to me.

earlygrab

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2011, 10:47:49 PM »
it almost sounded like he was trying to justify not skateboarding anymore to himself. Which in todays world is completely understandable but also sounds harsh.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2011, 11:20:47 PM »
naw dude is right, street skating is dead. skate plazas/parks have pussified all skaters. think about it, coped park ledges require no speed to grind. no cracks and smooth ground make it incredibly easier to land tricks. why go find spots when there is a perfect plaza right down the street that has every obstacle you could find in the streets? not to mention skateparks are essentially catwalks for skate fashion. if you are skating out in the streets you can't bite other people's shit because there aren't any other skaters. in the streets you don't have time to think about how awesome that dude's pants are because you got to watch out for cars and shit.

that being said, i always skate at parks and it has definitely made me worse at skating in a lot of ways.

krewkruxklan

• Rep: 17
    • SUPRFI$CAL avatar image
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2011, 11:25:59 PM »
i don't like him anymore.

puelo's skating has always been enjoyable for me, and he speaks the truth on a few things. but this nigga plays like a broken record;
he's like an annoying housewife

PUELO CAN U PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP

i dont like him anymore

cats is nice but I aint seen god since hova spit that navy blue to me
SUPRFI$CAL

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2011, 11:32:14 PM »
naw dude is right, street skating is dead. skate plazas/parks have pussified all skaters. think about it, coped park ledges require no speed to grind. no cracks and smooth ground make it incredibly easier to land tricks. why go find spots when there is a perfect plaza right down the street that has every obstacle you could find in the streets? not to mention skateparks are essentially catwalks for skate fashion. if you are skating out in the streets you can't bite other people's shit because there aren't any other skaters. in the streets you don't have time to think about how awesome that dude's pants are because you got to watch out for cars and shit.

that being said, i always skate at parks and it has definitely made me worse at skating in a lot of ways.
You couldn't be further from the truth. the ledges at stoner are sticky as fuck 99.99999% of the time, and those rob dyrdek style ledges with coping only on the side suck, and barely grind. I would much rather skate a real concrete ledge than those.

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2011, 11:42:08 PM »

puelo's skating has always been enjoyable for me, and he speaks the truth on a few things. but this nigga plays like a broken record;

i dont like him anymore

The fact that he plays like a broken record is a good thing; at least he remains consistent with what he believes. I'm a fan of puleo, and I disagree with some of what he says, but that's the point of an interview. It's his opinion and perspective, not yours or mine. You already know what you're getting into when you read the thread title Puleo interview; it's a given that he's critical of everything. If you don't want to hear his continued grievances, then you wouldn't read the interview.

Exile on MainSt.

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2011, 11:46:09 PM »
An all time favorite, and I like that he actually has something to say, but he's definitely odd. The Austyn Gillette criticism is out of order. How many times have you seen ally-oop grinds? To those of you talking shit on Puleo's skating, the skill and style is undeniable.

Front nose pop over into the golden gate fountain
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FsD9rdt53u8/SMYBK_v_y9I/AAAAAAAABlI/p7krxeUkd3o/s1600-h/bobbypuleoslapinterview5.jpg
(Entire interview here http://policeinformer.blogspot.com/2008/09/midnight-madness.html)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4OE2LlxxWrc/SOGANv79GII/AAAAAAAABsk/_63bv6kRxzo/s1600-h/puleoflushchrome.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4OE2LlxxWrc/SayaJGEaP3I/AAAAAAAADj0/RYlLRKPTl2s/s1600-h/puleointchrome.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4OE2LlxxWrc/SsLT6T2SsFI/AAAAAAAAFtg/WAFAI59fxpk/s1600-h/bobupchrome.jpg

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2011, 12:14:37 AM »
Expand Quote
hmmm... kinda strange, i posted in the puleo-appreciation-thread yesterday, and today i read this.. kinda disappointing interview. i mean, a lot of what he says is true, still he seems so over it. and hating on gillettes skating is plain stupid.
[close]

yeah, you're right. hating on the kid that they pulled out of a vogue catalog and started the metamorphasis of habitat into this element hybrid is stupid. i doubt puleo is bitter, he's just dissapointed at what skating has become, and none of you really even know what he's talking about.

what pisses me off the most is that it seems as if i had to ask for permission to skate a city i?ve never been to. i cannot simply grab my board and cruise around the city, explore and have fun, i have to ask if a local has already skated that spot. i mean, come on. i get it that he?s pissed if someone just comes to town to film a certain trick, but that mentality is strange. originally coming from a city with about 5 skatespots, we were always hyped as fuck if someone came and skated with us.

i get it, he isnt happy what skateboarding has become, and he is maybe too proud to ask for what he would clearly deserve (more money), but sounding like the old dude that is telling "the damn kids to stop skateboarding on his sidewalk" is simply too much.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2011, 12:35:52 AM »

You couldn't be further from the truth. the ledges at stoner are sticky as fuck 99.99999% of the time, and those rob dyrdek style ledges with coping only on the side suck, and barely grind. I would much rather skate a real concrete ledge than those.

i've never been to those places. i too would much rather skate a real concrete ledge. i find myself having to skate much faster in order to grind a real concrete ledge

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2011, 01:24:45 AM »
I could watch a silhouette of any skater and tell who it was, because I'm not mentally regular.
ahh hahaha i got a good laugh.   i was thinking the same thing.

puleo's one part with the Kinks song is pretty good, but that has more to do with Ray Davies than Bobby Puleo.    it sounds like his desire for my life would be for me to never skate anywhere when i travel abroad and do tricks that are not hard in my own neighborhood.  in other words he sounds like a big cock gobbler that stresses out over having fun.
where is home?

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2011, 01:40:22 AM »
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2011, 02:11:49 AM »
very bitter. but, just like he does, I also wish people would spend more time exploring and using their own surroundings and not just the spots they learn of from internet clips.

Mario

« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2011, 03:07:21 AM »

Luckely there are still people holding it down, just watch; the MIA vid, in search of the miraculous, this time tomorrow, magenta vids or any of them static vids.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2011, 03:19:11 AM »
"I basically make no money from skateboarding these days. Isn't that insane?"

No.

Bruh Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • Upstairs, fifth floor
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2011, 05:10:17 AM »
I totally see where he's coming from. Unfortunately, most people don't get paid what they deserve, especially in things like art and skating. There's always gonna be people who start something and other people who cash in on it. At least you can't put a price on respect-or can you?

Life is very depressing when you focus on the way things should be instead of how they are.  :-[
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 05:12:18 AM by Bruh Man »

SkullDude

« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2011, 06:41:01 AM »
The dude only has a "career" from skating "wierd" stuff. Then he has the balls to talk about gimmicky skateboarders?
He is talking like he knows what skating is. Anything that falls outside of that is awful? Fuck that shit!
Lets the kids make their money man. What are you 32? Quit worrying about your check thats never coming.
Bitter Old Guy Syndrome, Didn't this happen to Adam McNatt hahahaha?

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2011, 07:10:58 AM »
nah, i'm pretty sure bobby was talking more about kids that come to a city only to skate certain spots. with lights and a generator, and a whole crew of hangers on. that type of shit. i'm sure he'd be down with any kid that moved to NY from Florida and wanted to explore that city on the city's terms. i've had kids come to a DIY spot that we built in the middle of the night because they thought we would be gone. luckily, we were drinking and feeling good. these cats wanted to light that shit up and get their footy and they'd never even skated there during the day. the spot was right next to an apartment building and the tenants are really cool with us because we keep it clean and kill the noise after dark. if the tenants had to endure a 20 kid session with lights in their windows and shit for hours, they'd definitely bring the heat. fuck that. GTFO.

not that i agree with half of what bobby said, but i think this point specifically deserves to be understood correctly. and it's always been that way. from pools in dogtown to ledge spots in the menace era to DIY bridge spots nowadays. if the spot is locals only, you might have to ask somebody or risk getting fucked up. thats real.

k

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

penguin meat

« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2011, 07:20:29 AM »
Puleo recognizes his niche in skateboarding and pursues the kind of skating that fits him.  I can't hate on him no matter how sour he is.

Schwiggyz

• Rep: -2
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2011, 07:47:20 AM »
Puleo in lemon sucking shocker!

krewkruxklan

• Rep: 17
    • SUPRFI$CAL avatar image
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2011, 07:55:33 AM »
Expand Quote

i dont like him anymore
[close]

The fact that he plays like a broken record is a good thing; at least he remains consistent with what he believes. I'm a fan of puleo, and I disagree with some of what he says, but that's the point of an interview. It's his opinion and perspective, not yours or mine. You already know what you're getting into when you read the thread title Puleo interview; it's a given that he's critical of everything. If you don't want to hear his continued grievances, then you wouldn't read the interview.
the fact that he plays like a broken record just shows theres absolutely no growth or any realistic perspective about how skateboarding really is in 2011.

like i said earlier, ive always enjoyed the man's skateboarding, but he needs to quit it with his gimmick. he acts like he's enitierly opposed to the corporate brands involvment in skateboarding, yet he only declidned to ride for a timberland owned ipath because they wouldnt pay him more. this is understandable, niggas have to pay bills, but he cant front like he wouldnt have stayed if they offered him a better contract.

and the whole critisism of wallies and switch backtailslides is fucking stupid. sorry bobby, not everyone adheres to a hermit lifestyle, some skaters are in search for progression. maybe we should all skate like pops and puelo....but pops is on converse so he's corny; oh and dont mention the skateboarding aesthetic of austyn is gay too.

in all honesty, puelo is just one of those washed up skaters that have a difficult time resurfacing and finding relevancy- so he ends up  pursuing art. he's no different from anyone else.

i feel like if i met him at the club id smack him for talkin so much bullshit.

cats is nice but I aint seen god since hova spit that navy blue to me
SUPRFI$CAL

penguin meat

« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2011, 08:16:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

i dont like him anymore
[close]

[close]
the fact that he plays like a broken record just shows theres absolutely no growth or any realistic perspective about how skateboarding really is in 2011.

like i said earlier, ive always enjoyed the man's skateboarding, but he needs to quit it with his gimmick. he acts like he's enitierly opposed to the corporate brands involvment in skateboarding, yet he only declidned to ride for a timberland owned ipath because they wouldnt pay him more. this is understandable, niggas have to pay bills, but he cant front like he wouldnt have stayed if they offered him a better contract.

and the whole critisism of wallies and switch backtailslides is fucking stupid. sorry bobby, not everyone adheres to a hermit lifestyle, some skaters are in search for progression. maybe we should all skate like pops and puelo....but pops is on converse so he's corny; oh and dont mention the skateboarding aesthetic of austyn is gay too.

in all honesty, puelo is just one of those washed up skaters that have a difficult time resurfacing and finding relevancy- so he ends up  pursuing art. he's no different from anyone else.

i feel like if i met him at the club id smack him for talkin so much bullshit.

If I find dinosaurs in my bathroom I'm going to fight them for being extinct.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2011, 08:40:02 AM »

wow nice kickflip over a 6 inch high pipe.

Fuck this guy. He talked shit on way too many awesome skaters in this interview. I've always thought he was an overrated prick and this interview solidified it.

Nate

• Rep: 11
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2011, 09:10:49 AM »
Damn it seems like he was drunk for this interview or something cause he fucking blasted off on fools. I understand where he's coming from though. He has seen the days when skating wasn't tarnished and its probably frustrating for him, but I don't think attacking other people is cool especially the people he mentioned. Nothing gold can stay, man, sorry Bobby. I will always worship his SII part though. Thing of fucking beauty. 

scottp014

« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2011, 09:27:43 AM »

wow nice kickflip over a 6 inch high pipe.

Fuck this guy. He talked shit on way too many awesome skaters in this interview. I've always thought he was an overrated prick and this interview solidified it.
he was a major part in the building of that spot, so im sure he just wanted a picture on it before a million fools came and took over that shit. cause now that spot is all busted up and there isn't much left. and regardless how small the kickflip is, hes got the nicest style!

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2011, 09:39:57 AM »
"I basically make no money from skateboarding these days. Isn't that insane?"

maybe its his shitty attitude about literally everything he talks about. maybe the dude is an asshole all the time and nobody even wants to pay him for skating.

and damn, all that shit talking about skating your own spots and then you go and have a part in penal code?