Author Topic: NEW Puleo Interview!  (Read 64573 times)

Jura

NEW Puleo Interview!
« on: January 24, 2011, 02:08:40 PM »
http://trafficskateboards.com/2011/01/are-you-a-victim/

Individual is the one word that could sum up what Bobby Puleo is. He is not one to jump on any bandwagon, one who will not try the newest "it" thing and will do his best to steer clear of any new trend. A unique person with a unique outlook on skateboarding, Bobby has been skating for over 25 years and has his stake in the skateboarding history books. He continues to look at skating in his own way, a way that is still as original as the beginning days. I've known Bobby for almost two decades and always thought he and I were very similar in the way we approached skating. We both started in the jump ramp days but grew into the city way of skating. We both liked to explore our environments, cruising through the city discovering spots that were not obvious to your average skateboarder. He has never wavered from his outspoken views on skateboarding and recently I gave him a ring to get his view of the current state of skating. Just as unorthodox as his views on skating are, we decided to post his interview in an unorthodox manner and release it as our latest Traffic Report. Enjoy what Bobby has to say...

http://www.areyouavictim.com/inter&sitem=10&imgPre=909

HYPED! Looks like a bunch of new images too.

bumpnrun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: NEW Puleo Interview!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 02:19:53 PM »
It's basically just go out and do what everyone else is doing. There's so many of the same types of dudes out there. These cookie cutter archetypes that look, dress and all skate the same. And they all have these J. Crew catalog names these days, like Austin Cookie-Cutter and Gilbert Skatethesame.

Dissing Gillette and Crockett and Alex O.  Dude is bitter.

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 02:21:48 PM »
what a bitter fuck
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

icybear187

• Rep: -48
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 02:23:14 PM »
Thanks for the link!  Goodness.  No suprise who provides the link though, Bobby's number 1 stalker, wait spelt fan wrong.

kevbo999

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 02:23:50 PM »
Sad.

icybear187

• Rep: -48
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 02:25:01 PM »
Expand Quote
It's basically just go out and do what everyone else is doing. There's so many of the same types of dudes out there. These cookie cutter archetypes that look, dress and all skate the same. And they all have these J. Crew catalog names these days, like Austin Cookie-Cutter and Gilbert Skatethesame.
[close]

Dissing Gillette and Crockett and Alex O.?  Dude is bitter.

Not sure why you included Olson in your post. 

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 02:30:47 PM »
hmmm... kinda strange, i posted in the puleo-appreciation-thread yesterday, and today i read this.. kinda disappointing interview. i mean, a lot of what he says is true, still he seems so over it. and hating on gillettes skating is plain stupid.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 02:47:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Dissing Gillette and Crockett and Alex O.?  Dude is bitter.
[close]

Not sure why you included Olson in your post. 

You also have this new trend of fully established California types that are moving to and coming to NY and filming on shit here that has just been through the goddamn ringer as far as one uppers and spot rapers and they think that that style of doing things makes them legitimate. That shit is corny. Go find your own shit in your own city.

^ this.  Or maybe he's referring to someone else.

Sounds like he's also dissing Billy Rohan in this quote.

It's like if Billy Dogdrool comes to NY to get his NY on and Billy Dogdrool is from Florida or California and has had his last couple of video parts skating with palm trees in the background and then is trying to look all dope skating in Tribeca at night. Naturally he's gonna look like a cornball cause that shit is contrived and is ridiculous to the people who know that he's a tourist and didn't find any of the shit they're skating or had filmers or photographers showing them shit.

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 02:58:01 PM »
the ipath thing is pretty good

how can you replace danny renaud and jon newport with bob burnquist and ben raybourn?

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 03:00:16 PM »
bitter but true to an extent. at the same time though there's always going to be people touring new places & wanting to skaste shit they've seen before. as far as the kinds of kids that only go to certain places to get the"best trick done on it" & that kinda shit, those kids are lame. i understand where he's coming from but he deffinatly does come off as a dick while explaining himself.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

bort.

• Rep: 53
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 03:03:40 PM »
He's been talking about that Greatest Misses things for years now, if it ever comes out I'll be psyched. Dude definitely comes off bitter as fuck but at least hes honest. I can respect him for that.

Zeeko

• Rep: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 03:04:24 PM »
What he's sayin makes sense to me. Bobby is just trying to keep it real. Which is almost close to impossible to do in skateboarding these days. What he's trying to say is that these new kids comin up that think there being unique or stylish or creative by doing whats "cool" or whats "in" are completely missing the point. They all end up looking the same, theres not enough personality anymore. Yeah he comes off sounding bitter, but what he's sayin is still true. And I don't want to take away from these new kids skating, because they're all extremely talented and have enormous skill. They just have to find they're own approach.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 03:18:25 PM »
dude is tight.
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 03:18:35 PM »
I like ledges, banks, banks to ledges, ledges to banks, banks to banks, cellar doors, and wide unobstructed spaces. And sometimes I like obstructed spaces, if it's a spot that appeals to me. I like spots that are tucked away and difficult to find. I also don't like to be watched
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHah

Wall rides and wallies and shit, mixed in with switch back tails down hubbas. It's harsh.
HAHAHAHA dude doesn't even like you fags that try to imitate him.

sprayTAN101

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • thats a sweet tan bro.
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »
wow! talk about living in the past. dude is beyond bitter.

quit skating on vacation, no quit traveling as a whole. quit buying corporate shoes, but skate shoes also suck. dont learn new tricks, either do wallies or ss back tails, not both.

if he had it his way he'd be skating NY all alone. or not skating.

"lifestyle scorpion dude..."

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 03:53:43 PM »
You'd think someone from Jersey would be a little more jaded to how fucked up the world is, or would at least be able to appreciate that skating is fucked up like the rest of the world when he's talking about being interested in 'the struggles and structure of human society'. ? Skating is fun, so of course it got blown out. ? He'd have never made any money off of skating if there weren't tons of kids getting into every year, or seeing his footage, being hyped on and wanting to go skate those spots. ? His vision for change seems even worse than the reality. ? You aren't allowed to move and skate new stuff, you aren't allowed to travel and skate new stuff, flow kids can't come visit their sponsor, ride around to spots with the team filmer or photographer cause it will look the same as something else, you may have crop-duster shit flips on lock, but you aren't allowed to take them to Bercy cause you aren't 'indigenous' to Paris. ? Uhg.

hekkahyphy

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 03:55:44 PM »
Funny thing is I live in new jersey and think its funny how everyone in jersey city looks tthe same as well as all those new york dudes, but at the end of the day its just skateboarding. It is embarassing seeing almost everyone out there wearing highwater dickies flannels and some converses but dude should be happy he's himself and those guys... Are not

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 03:56:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Dissing Gillette and Crockett and Alex O.? �Dude is bitter.
[close]

Not sure why you included Olson in your post. �
[close]

Expand Quote
You also have this new trend of fully established California types that are moving to and coming to NY and filming on shit here that has just been through the goddamn ringer as far as one uppers and spot rapers and they think that that style of doing things makes them legitimate. That shit is corny. Go find your own shit in your own city.
[close]

^ this. �Or maybe he's referring to someone else.

Sounds like he's also dissing Billy Rohan in this quote.

Expand Quote
It's like if Billy Dogdrool comes to NY to get his NY on and Billy Dogdrool is from Florida or California and has had his last couple of video parts skating with palm trees in the background and then is trying to look all dope skating in Tribeca at night. Naturally he's gonna look like a cornball cause that shit is contrived and is ridiculous to the people who know that he's a tourist and didn't find any of the shit they're skating or had filmers or photographers showing them shit.
[close]

i dont think hes only referring to alex olson, i think hes also referring to all those LRG guys filming in new york and especially prod and other random cali guys that historically have nothing to do with new york coming filming a trick on the photosynthesis benches or courthouse or black hubba or crusing around and acting like they own the place after staying here for a minute. not to name names but a certain group of ripndippers got a couple people in trouble because they fucked up.

im sure people in california are used to having their shit blown up by a bunch of assholes from other countries or states its just that its very new to new york right now and people dont really know how to react to it. bobby will learn just like the people in LA had to learn over the years. people dismiss it from californias perspective but its probably just as important to think about it that way.

and the only guy i can think of that fits that switch backtailing hubbas thing is yaje sooooo....bobby puleo hates you? harsh
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:33:18 PM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

LDJ

• Rep: 7
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 03:58:59 PM »
I've been a Puleo fan since his 411 wheels of fortune, his magazine photos took up a fair amount of wallspace when I was a kid.. but implying that Austin G is a cookie cutter pro is just plain stupid. Come on Bobby, chill the fuck out allready. Sucks about the Ipath deal though.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 04:01:14 PM »
I thought it was funny with his list of things to skate. He actually said cellar doors! I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or not.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Hold The Tomatos

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 04:08:14 PM »
wow! talk about living in the past. dude is beyond bitter.

quit skating on vacation, no quit traveling as a whole. quit buying corporate shoes, but skate shoes also suck. dont learn new tricks, either do wallies or ss back tails, not both.

if he had it his way he'd be skating NY all alone. or not skating.

he essentially does skate alone.

it's difficult for me to side with him but it's also difficult for me to fully dissagree with him.
some of his ideologies seem unrealistic in today's world and almost counter-intuitive to what he stands for sometimes.

he rips, so i guess his skating speaks for itself.

and about mixing wallrides and sw back tails, i mean come on man, that's just evolution player.

Possum Brotherhood

• Rep: 3
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 04:33:23 PM »
not to name names but a certain group of ripndippers got a couple people in trouble because they fucked up.

im sure people in california are used to having their shit blown up by a bunch of assholes from other countries or states its just that its very new to new york right now and people dont really know how to react to it. bobby will learn just like the people in LA had to learn over the years. people dismiss it from californias perspective but its probably just as important to think about it that way.

Is the rip n dip thing related to their road trip up there?

And good point about the Cali-invasion thing.  I'm from SoCal and our local spots are always popping up in videos. I was stoked to skate the Brooklyn Banks when I visited NYC and don't think that I kooked out for noodling around out there. Not everyone has such a lone wolf approach.

I guess skaters are supposed to choose one narrow "type" relating to their hometown and just repeat a handful of tricks on similar terrain forever?  Bummer.

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 04:40:41 PM »
I loved everything about that interview. Keeps it real as shit.

Video parts are always 100% more entertaining when someone skates their own spots in their own city i.e. Kevin Coakley.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 04:49:05 PM »
Do you think street skating has died?
I'm not really sure. I mean I don't really look at skateboard magazines or watch too many videos these days, so I don't really know what's going on out there.

hahaha he claims that and then rants an entire essay about the subject. i bet school was a breeze for bobby, he could write a book report on something he "didnt read".

dude sounds bitter as fuck, and really closed minded. im supposed to only skate spots nobody has skated, in my own town, and only one type of skating? im also not supposed to idolize pros but im supposed to come into it with my own unique style of skating and dress?

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »
Expand Quote
not to name names but a certain group of ripndippers got a couple people in trouble because they fucked up.

[close]

Is the rip n dip thing related to their road trip up there?

And good point about the Cali-invasion thing.  I'm from SoCal and our local spots are always popping up in videos. I was stoked to skate the Brooklyn Banks when I visited NYC and don't think that I kooked out for noodling around out there. Not everyone has such a lone wolf approach.

I guess skaters are supposed to choose one narrow "type" relating to their hometown and just repeat a handful of tricks on similar terrain forever?  Bummer.

yeah it is. i dont remember the exact story but one of the guys visiting decided it would be a good idea to grind the bumper on someones car and the dude who owned the car blamed the wrong people and there was this whole thing about it and they were pissed. another example of tourism fucking with shit is just having groups with filmers n shit going to spots posting up and not really doing anything and ruining it for other people. like have some etiquette i know that has to exist at whatever skatepark you come from so try at least respecting that shit. no one should have to write rules or explain this but its starting to be a problem last summer was good but thats only because i ended up looking for new spots and people were more interested in finding out which train goes to max fish than skate when no ones around.

earlygrab

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 04:51:05 PM »
when good ideas go sour.

Dick Fingers

• Rep: -26
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 04:53:44 PM »
puelo is a huge cocksucker, however he is right in many aspects. when florida dogs come up to nyc and decide that its a good idea to tailslide someone's car in harlem they deserve the hate. i think he should spend more time skating than hating though. he acts like he is the mayor of nyc however he is from jersey, much like ricky oyola claims he's the mayor of philly yet is also from jersey.

PEPE

• Rep: -21
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 04:53:50 PM »
I loved everything about that interview. Keeps it real as shit.

Video parts are always 100% more entertaining when someone skates their own spots in their own city i.e. Kevin Coakley.

hekkahyphy

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 04:55:13 PM »
Maybe he is living in the past, it must be hard to see skating change so drastically from what he viewed it as. There's this kid I skate with sometimes and he's always talking about himself as if he was skating in a contest and commentating himself. He learns all of chaz ortiz and nyjah hustons contest tricks and it wierds me out so I kinda see what he means with the corporate stuff. He must just deeply miss what skating was

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 04:59:01 PM »

i dont think hes only referring to alex olson, i think hes also referring to all those LRG guys filming in new york and especially prod and other random cali guys that historically have nothing to do with new york coming filming a trick on the photosynthesis benches or courthouse or black hubba or crusing around and acting like they own the place after staying here for a minute. not to name names but a certain group of ripndippers got a couple people in trouble because they fucked up.

and the only guy i can think of that fits that switch backtailing hubbas thing is yaje sooooo....bobby puleo hates you? harsh

duly noted.