Author Topic: NEW Puleo Interview!  (Read 64679 times)

earlygrab

Re: NEW Puleo Interview!
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »
fyi. bobby and jerry built that spot to keep kids from ruining the good spots.

NoComply180

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2011, 03:56:23 PM »
Expand Quote
HAHAHAHA maybe if he actually learned some new tricks. This is what I'm trying to tell you guys old pros are becoming obsolete at whatever they do whether it's gay shit, good tech tricks, or big shit. Kids are actually out there progressing, while old pros are sitting around complaining. if he spent half as much time skating as he spent looking for spots, and talking shit on people, he would actually be good at skating. I've said this before, it's not 1989 anymore, kids have youtube. They can see who's good and who's not.You just can't say brow beat people to make people think they're good anymore. These old clowns don't want to progress, so they talk down on progression, in the guise of "keeping real".

I try to tell you guys this all the time, old skaters hate young skaters, because they make it hard for them to eat. It's not austyn gillette's fault or some lame kid's that move to new york, it's his own fault for not going out there everyday and progressing.
[close]

you say some out-there shit sometimes, but i couldn't agree with this statement more. tired of a bunch of older dudes talking shit on young guys that are constantly pushing skateboarding forward. yeah, we get it: you did a bunch of great stuff years ago, but if you're not adding anything new to skateboarding, then make room for the next generation. the young kids are killing it right now and i don't really care what Bobby Puleo or Jason Dill thinks is lame about the industry.

(dudes like Ronnie Creager, Daewon Song & Forrest Kirby are still killing it and pushing their skateboarding forward at their age. now that i can respect 110%, not this bitter eastcoast pretentious shittalking.)

so true about creager and those dudes. reynolds is in his 30's too. i like watching puleo skate, I really do. The traffic videos get me hyped to skate, and Infamous was tight as fuck. But god damn man, hating on people like gilbert crockett is just regular. Sorry people come to the city you live in to ride their skateboards. And so what if people bite his shit? Imitation is the highest form of flattery.  I'll be laughing when this guy has a shitty manual labor job and no health insurance.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Baron von Bullshit

• Rep: -2
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2011, 04:45:50 PM »
Expand Quote

"I skate about 3 or 4 days a week. I gotta work now. I basically make no money from skateboarding these days. Isn't that insane?"

Cry me a river.  "Boo-hoo, I have to work a real job because I wasn't aware skateboarding doesn't provide a lifetime income."  You're lucky to even be getting what you get.  Hell, you still get to skate 3-4 days a week.  That's a lot more than a lot of people that have full-time jobs get to roll.  Shit, the guy that RUNS the company has to work a 9-5.  Get off it, man.
[close]

No shit. It's like, damn, at least you can get out there and push. I'm only working part time, but I go to school too, I'm lucky if I can get out to fuck around in the road in front of my house. Not to mention the infrastructure around here is so underdeveloped it's hard to find spots. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 04:47:32 PM by Baron von Bullshit »

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2011, 05:00:49 PM »
i wonder if he hates westgate too? all bobby puleo did with that interview was lose the fan base of the only guys who still like him (SLAP).

strangefires

« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2011, 05:09:45 PM »
what a conceited prick

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2011, 05:10:21 PM »
i wonder if he hates westgate too? all bobby puleo did with that interview was lose the fan base of the only guys who still like him (SLAP).

i'm still here, bro.
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

strangefires

« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2011, 05:15:21 PM »
he is definitely a victim of his own device/stupidity.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2011, 05:16:17 PM »
"If I haven't seen it, its NBD."

dankradschwag

« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2011, 05:17:42 PM »
again, all of you haters dont know shit about skateboarding bc you cannot appreciate what bobby puleo does. you guys would try to tell me nate jones or kenny reed has bad style. austyn gillette, on the other hand is a total hipster fag along with dylan reider. i like interviews like this, i wish more pros would call out other dudes more often.

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2011, 05:23:09 PM »
how do yall know he was specifically referring to austyn gillette or crockett? he said he doesnt pay too much attention to whats poppin in the skate world. he probably just heard their names but doesnt realize that those are two dudes who are doing it right (imo). he probably just heard their names or something....  just a thought...

also, the switch backtail / wallride comment was blown out of proportion i think..... i kinda get what hes saying in a way that youd have a dude throwing themselves down stairs / rails for his whole part, and then have a random pole jam or wallride clip in there, completely out of place. i def noticed this, and its weird that it was at the time when bobbys static 2 part came out and it was pretty obvious that people were taking the same approach as him, skating "nugget" or "creative" spots....

aaaand this has pretty much been covered, but about that whole skating in your own town thing, he seems like he means to say that kids should have a better eye etc. theres nothing wrong with being from florida and skating in nyc or filming there, but he said how he thinks video parts should be more aesthetically pleasing. like palm trees 95% of the part, then dreary new york clip. i could see that being out of place. i used to watch certain video parts based on where and what i was skating. also, if it was a nice ass day outside, i would watch a skater from sunny california as opposed to bobby in la luz (lots of night footage).

im probably wrong. whatevssssss. bobby is the man. def comes off bitter, but, as stated already, being raw and honest sounds so good.

Beer Wizard

« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2011, 05:26:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i'm still here, bro.

The interview made me like him more, not because I agree with every thing he said, but I like it when pros speak their mind and don't sugar coat all their shit... and obviously always been a fan of his skating.  Much like the Kalis quartersnack interview, liked Kalis a lot more for actually saying what he felt about AWS and Dill.  The biggest thing I took away from this interview was FUCK Ipath and my next deck will be a Traffic.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2011, 06:08:48 PM »
im all for speaking your mind and being honest in an interview, im not faulting him for that. im just bummed on almost every word he said, he sounds like a negative prick and said some super contradictory things.

not sure how me seeing that means i dont appreciate his skating or am "missing something". the dude obviously used to come out with amazing video parts and influenced an era. im just saying he is a bitter asshole.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2011, 06:12:58 PM »
whats the deal with dan plunkett? dude skates just like puleo with more tricks.

SkullDude

« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2011, 06:40:40 PM »
im all for speaking your mind and being honest in an interview, im not faulting him for that. im just bummed on almost every word he said, he sounds like a negative prick and said some super contradictory things.

not sure how me seeing that means i dont appreciate his skating or am "missing something". the dude obviously used to come out with amazing video parts and influenced an era. im just saying he is a bitter asshole.

WHO IS DIRECTLY INFLUENCED BY FUCKING PULEO??????? WHO?????????????????
"dude you did that like Puleo, soooo sick" thats a NBD right there
Kenny Reed too gimmick ass retards. Gonz dosen't need that shit.
 Reynolds don't need no pyramid or cellar door to be legit. Fucking skate dude.
If we got it all wrong, then fucking skate and shut shit down. Prove me wrong.
I have never bought a video thinking "oh man i hope puleo is in this and maybe he'll do this or that"
Kids are out there busting their asses to do this for a living. It's not our fault you can't and never could. fuck this duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude
Be a ripping local and shut the fuck up. shoulda woulda coulda wah wah wah
We all had a dude from our home town that ripped harder than this dude anyway

Bobbydoof

« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2011, 07:05:42 PM »
hating on spot rapers and loving guy mariano? maybe he hasn't watched a video in a while.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2011, 07:09:32 PM »
This idea that Puleo in static 2 started the whole raw street thing really worries me that a whole generation of kids have never seen or even heard of Eastern Exposure 3.  I'm not getting on either side fully- I think Puleo is a dick, but that he definitely has done some cool stuff on a skateboard, but he still isn't the best.
Give me Oyola any day! I actually asked Ricky about the whole spot thing in the pals question thing after hearing about what a spot Nazi Bobby could be. Ricky's response was cool too- he basically said its lame if people come to film a one-upping, but he doesn't give a shit who wants to skate a spot just to skate it. It was a real answer, and he didn't come off as a dick.

kids, like a decade before static 2 we had this:

And Ricky's part is Philly not New York, but there is plenty of NYC in that video.
Puleo had influence too, but WAY before static 2.

one piece of genuine shit talking:
If you don't want people to skate your spots, don't film them and sell thousands of copies of the footage of it.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

jay

• Rep: -80
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2011, 07:45:54 PM »
This idea that Puleo in static 2 started the whole raw street thing really worries me that a whole generation of kids have never seen or even heard of Eastern Exposure 3.  I'm not getting on either side fully- I think Puleo is a dick, but that he definitely has done some cool stuff on a skateboard, but he still isn't the best.
Give me Oyola any day! I actually asked Ricky about the whole spot thing in the pals question thing after hearing about what a spot Nazi Bobby could be. Ricky's response was cool too- he basically said its lame if people come to film a one-upping, but he doesn't give a shit who wants to skate a spot just to skate it. It was a real answer, and he didn't come off as a dick.

And Ricky's part is Philly not New York, but there is plenty of NYC in that video.

If you don't want people to skate your spots, don't film them and sell thousands of copies of the footage of it.

I don't know if he really thought that one though;  in an ideal world I suppose you would expect every skater to just skate spots for the love of it and all that shit, but damn if skating was my job and I needed a good trick for an ad to pay my bills, damn straight I'm gonna try to to the best trick thats been done at the spot

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2011, 07:54:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
HAHAHAHA maybe if he actually learned some new tricks. This is what I'm trying to tell you guys old pros are becoming obsolete at whatever they do whether it's gay shit, good tech tricks, or big shit. Kids are actually out there progressing, while old pros are sitting around complaining. if he spent half as much time skating as he spent looking for spots, and talking shit on people, he would actually be good at skating. I've said this before, it's not 1989 anymore, kids have youtube. They can see who's good and who's not.You just can't say brow beat people to make people think they're good anymore. These old clowns don't want to progress, so they talk down on progression, in the guise of "keeping real".

I try to tell you guys this all the time, old skaters hate young skaters, because they make it hard for them to eat. It's not austyn gillette's fault or some lame kid's that move to new york, it's his own fault for not going out there everyday and progressing.
[close]

you say some out-there shit sometimes, but i couldn't agree with this statement more. tired of a bunch of older dudes talking shit on young guys that are constantly pushing skateboarding forward. yeah, we get it: you did a bunch of great stuff years ago, but if you're not adding anything new to skateboarding, then make room for the next generation. the young kids are killing it right now and i don't really care what Bobby Puleo or Jason Dill thinks is lame about the industry.

(dudes like Ronnie Creager, Daewon Song & Forrest Kirby are still killing it and pushing their skateboarding forward at their age. now that i can respect 110%, not this bitter eastcoast pretentious shittalking.)
[close]

so true about creager and those dudes. reynolds is in his 30's too. i like watching puleo skate, I really do. The traffic videos get me hyped to skate, and Infamous was tight as fuck. But god damn man, hating on people like gilbert crockett is just regular. Sorry people come to the city you live in to ride their skateboards. And so what if people bite his shit? Imitation is the highest form of flattery.  I'll be laughing when this guy has a shitty manual labor job and no health insurance.

ding ding ding!  three winners.   real talk.

off all the super rich (im guessing skateboarders) i have met prod, sheckler (plan b demo) and cole.   they could not have been nicer, more down for the kids or had better attitudes.  you reap what you sow.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:58:53 PM by Tyroneshoelaces »
where is home?

spare change

« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2011, 07:58:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i'm still here, bro.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2011, 08:06:36 PM »
Yeah Bobby.  You guys want more austyn gillete?  Go read his interviews about how well he is saving his money and how he just got really into photography and guitar.  The skateboard media outlets are so milquetoast these days and people still seem to eat it up.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2011, 08:09:26 PM »
^ Who gives a fuck how mild his conversations are? He's not getting paid to tell stories. He's getting paid to skate, and he's amazing at it.
Expand Quote
This idea that Puleo in static 2 started the whole raw street thing really worries me that a whole generation of kids have never seen or even heard of Eastern Exposure 3. �I'm not getting on either side fully- I think Puleo is a dick, but that he definitely has done some cool stuff on a skateboard, but he still isn't the best.

[close]

I don't know if he really thought that one though;� in an ideal world I suppose you would expect every skater to just skate spots for the love of it and all that shit, but damn if skating was my job and I needed a good trick for an ad to pay my bills, damn straight I'm gonna try to to the best trick thats been done at the spot
But that's his point. It pisses him off when people come to his spots trying to film something and pay their rent. There is a difference between kids who want to have fun and people trying to get famous by skating a spot.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Insatiable

• Rep: -17
  • A thirst that can never be quenched
« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2011, 08:20:31 PM »
Even though he definitely came across as being incredibly bitter, I totally agree with what Bobby had to say.  What I think he was trying to get across was how the "way of life" aspect of skating, i.e. meeting up with your buddies and just shredding/bullshitting around your town (which you do when you are younger and this is when skating was the most fun for you), is diminishing with the prevalent jock mentality but trying to come across as "core" at the same time.  Thats what I think he meant with the whole "wallies and switch back tails down hubbas".  That shit is such a statement to me and it is fucking harsh.  Build your own forte.  Any of you wanna see P-Rod get all Static on some cellar door?

I am a filmer and when other filmers see some spots they are unfamiliar in my videos and ask me where they are I basically tell them to fuck off.  That shit is wack, especially when I hear it from local filmers who should know better.  From my perspective, skating/filming has turned into some gnarly take out game (I have been a perpetrator of a couple take out maneuvers but those are under unintentional circumstances), as oppose to just meeting up with your homies and going in a direction.  The best clips I have filmed are so spur of the moment and are on occasions when we just go in a direction rather than waste hours brainstorming.  For example, the other day I saw a crew of dudes outside my local shop thinking about what spot to go to.  Meanwhile, I was meeting up with my friend and we just headed downtown with no ideas.  Had fun just cruising/lurking and ended up getting an ill clip.  

scottp014

• Rep: 1
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2011, 08:37:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

wow nice kickflip over a 6 inch high pipe.

Fuck this guy. He talked shit on way too many awesome skaters in this interview. I've always thought he was an overrated prick and this interview solidified it.
[close]
he was a major part in the building of that spot, so im sure he just wanted a picture on it before a million fools came and took over that shit. cause now that spot is all busted up and there isn't much left. and regardless how small the kickflip is, hes got the nicest style!
[close]

A major part of $20 worth of quik-crete under some random bridge? Or is this just a lil nook of a sick DIY skatepark? 'Cause if it's the latter than I can totally respect that.
nooo, theres much more. multiples cement quarterpipes, a ledge, a hip/wallride connected to the pillars of the bridge. its a pretty cool spot

grayham

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65
  • OMG TMI ;-)
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2011, 09:29:01 PM »
u ask a man a question, and he gives you an answer. get over it
8===D ~~~~ O-:

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2011, 09:52:18 PM »
What kind of tool would wear converse!? That shit is wack.

For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

scottp014

• Rep: 1
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2011, 10:04:57 PM »
What kind of tool would wear converse!? That shit is wack.
his ideals have obviously changed, im sure most of us have changed the way we though from 10 years ago.  I at least hope so..... you guys take this shit too much to heart. hes just speaking his mind, it doesn't need to be justified.

yellowhell

• Rep: -3
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2011, 10:15:11 PM »
would you rather me underpaid or overrated ???

krewkruxklan

• Rep: 17
    • SUPRFI$CAL avatar image
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2011, 10:19:50 PM »

cats is nice but I aint seen god since hova spit that navy blue to me
SUPRFI$CAL

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2011, 10:32:59 PM »
Quit calling this an "interview". It's for his own website.

Much the same as this:

strangefires

« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2011, 10:36:34 PM »
Quit calling this an "interview". It's for his own website.

Much the same as this:

lololol