Author Topic: thunder trucks sizing help.  (Read 12387 times)

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
thunder trucks sizing help.
« on: February 22, 2011, 04:03:45 PM »
so i ride a 7.9 deck, i currently ride the 139 indy's.. i want to try thunders, what size should i get? are the 147's good for a 7.9 width board? thanks
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

H8R part 4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: thunder trucks sizing help.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 04:26:45 PM »
yeah 147s are the correct size. 
they are the same width as a the indy 139s you are currently riding.   

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
thanks dude. main reason i posted this was because there is no sizing chart i was able to find online.

[

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 05:04:56 PM »
That is exactly what I ride 7.9 with 147's and I couldn't be happier with it.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Dbk

• Rep: 3
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 08:57:53 PM »

(note- 149s are only available in high)

Basingstoke

• Rep: 29
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 02:24:03 PM »
That is exactly what I ride 7.9 with 147's and I couldn't be happier with it.

Cold Pizza

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »
They just starting making 147s in low as well; if that's your shit......

brokenheadphone

• Rep: -3
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
Thunders ride pretty different from Indys FYI. The way they turned felt more limiting to me than Indys and I ended up switching back after riding the Thunders for about 6 months. So if you really like the way Indys turn, you may not like Thunders.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
yeah 147s are the correct size.? 
they are the same width as a the indy 139s you are currently riding.?  ? 

yea, they are almost the same exact size, indys look smaller but the hanger on 139's are a tad bit wider than the 147, i suggest you stay with indy's if u wanna turn....
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 12:35:51 AM »
Thunders ride pretty different from Indys FYI. The way they turned felt more limiting to me than Indys and I ended up switching back after riding the Thunders for about 6 months. So if you really like the way Indys turn, you may not like Thunders.
i use my board to cruise a lot. i've skated indys forever and was thinking of trying thunders, and i like the way indys turn so i don't think im gonna make a switch. good looking out.

[

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 01:33:20 AM »
Indys turn? I did not know that... Maybe with Bones bushings, but stock Indy bushings are the worst thing ever.

brokenheadphone

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 06:54:46 AM »
Back in the mid 90s, all I ever rode were the stock Indy bushings in my Indys. They worked fine back then after you broke them in.

I don't know anything about the current stock bushings, but I have heard lots of people complain about them. Indy makes aftermarket bushings that are totally different from the stock ones. As soon as I got my new Indys, I put the aftermarket bushings in and they ride great with those.

I've also heard Khiro and Bones bushings are good, but I have no experience with them. As long as the Indy aftermarket bushings continue to work, I'll keep riding them.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 07:16:57 AM »
My friend skates loose as fuck trucks, and he last September he bought some Indys, I dont know which stage, but they were 149, back when they were still 8.25. He was skating them for about 3 weeks, and all the time he was complaining about the turning. I tried to roll on his board few times, but I almost wasnt able to drop the quarter in skatepark, they were that shitty. I have never had Indys myself, I rode a lot of friends boards with them, and never liked them. On the other side, I skate Thunders, with those white stock bushings, I dont know if they are soft or whatever, but they are super sick, and they broke in on the first session.  And this is my fourth pair of Thunders in a row, and bushings were always great.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 07:29:26 AM »
from my personal experience of the big three,

indy - they grind the best and they turn okay
venture - they grind good and turn alright(depending on which stock bushings you get)
thunders - they don't grind as well the other 2 but they turn better than them

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 07:32:27 AM »
i just recently bought the indy 139 lows. didnt like the stock bushings, so i put my old indy (NOT the stock ones) in them, now its awesome. i then put the new stock bushings in the ventures of my cruiser, and voila, they are perfect for it. not tooo quick turning, not too soft, just nice for my cruiser.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 07:49:48 AM »
I've been riding indys for like 5 years or so and never had major problems, yeah the stock bushing are shir but after a month of riding or so they are ok
I never had thunders, but i heard that they were lighter than indys but also heard than they are much more weak than ventures or Indys. In fact i always see people that ride Thunders changing them often while people who ride Indy ride them  forever, does anybody had some bad experiences with thunders?

Filip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 09:05:13 AM »
I remember maybe 6 years ago, my friend bought some Thunder lows, and they went to shit pretty quick.. But It was maybe because he was a fatass and bent the axles and grind throught hangers super quick. But my last set of Thunders before the one I have now lasted pretty much 2 years, and then I gave them away to some kid. Yes, they were fucked, but no slipped or bent axles or anything. And Im pretty big dude too.

brokenheadphone

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 10:25:40 AM »
People that only ride Thunders and have never ridden Indys seriously don't like Indys because they turn way differently. That doesn't make them shitty, just different. Leaning on the board with them just a little bit makes them turn, even if you don't skate super loose trucks. I've always rode mine "medium" with the kingpin only sticking out about 1/8" with either stock bushings back in the day or these new Indy aftermarket bushings I have now.

My brother only rode Thunders and wouldn't ride anything else. Thunders have a slow, wide turning radius unless you ride them super loose with soft bushings AFAIK. He rode the stock bushings and didn't tighten them too much, just a little.  I gave him a complete with Indys on it and he had to tighten the trucks WAY down because he didn't like that they turned when you leaned to one side just a little.

The way Indys turn is the whole point of skateboard trucks, IMHO, but to each they're own.  The turning is why a lot of bowl/pool/vert guys ride them, because they like to carve a lot. I'm not a bowl/pool/vert guy btw, and never have been.

Here is a vid that sums up how Indys work pretty well:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I don't think Indy 149s have been 8.25 for awhile, but I could be wrong. I thought the last time Indy made an 8.25 truck was back when they were called 146s. My current 149s are 8.5.

brokenheadphone

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 10:37:33 AM »
The durability on Thunders should be fine AFAIK. The last time I had a pair they were fine. The baseplates may be a little weaker than Indys because they don't have a solid baseplate, but they should be okay. The only other potential problem I can really think of is the part of the hanger with the ring that holds the bushings. If you grind on that part of your truck, just be aware that the metal on Thunders there is not as thick and beefy as Indys. Indys has slimmed that part down over the years but it's still noticeably thicker than Thunders.

Ventures are the weakest truck of that bunch, IME. The baseplates are hollowed out a lot and that makes them weak. I got tired of breaking kingpins and one day I broke a baseplate olleing down a 2 foot drop so I never rode them again after that. I don't know if Venture has beefed up their baseplates in recent years or not...they look pretty much the same as the ones I had years ago.

I've been riding indys for like 5 years or so and never had major problems, yeah the stock bushing are shir but after a month of riding or so they are ok
I never had thunders, but i heard that they were lighter than indys but also heard than they are much more weak than ventures or Indys. In fact i always see people that ride Thunders changing them often while people who ride Indy ride them  forever, does anybody had some bad experiences with thunders?

Stoeipoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 02:45:29 PM »
I broke 3 thunder trucks.

1 time the pivot thing
1 time the axle
1 time the part between the bushings, that is really thin with thunders but very thick with indy's.
I always skated the stock bushings, those blue and green ones which you can see through a little.
The distribution in holland now garanties thunders against breakage so I might pick a pair up in the future.

didn't really skate ventures.

Now I have my first pair of indy's, with bones bushings because i wrecked the stock ones. I have them more than a year now, longer than any other truck.

Bitches call me pussy, the horse filler.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 03:03:51 PM »
People that only ride Thunders and have never ridden Indys seriously don't like Indys because they turn way differently. That doesn't make them shitty, just different. Leaning on the board with them just a little bit makes them turn, even if you don't skate super loose trucks. I've always rode mine "medium" with the kingpin only sticking out about 1/8" with either stock bushings back in the day or these new Indy aftermarket bushings I have now.

My brother only rode Thunders and wouldn't ride anything else. Thunders have a slow, wide turning radius unless you ride them super loose with soft bushings AFAIK. He rode the stock bushings and didn't tighten them too much, just a little.  I gave him a complete with Indys on it and he had to tighten the trucks WAY down because he didn't like that they turned when you leaned to one side just a little.

The way Indys turn is the whole point of skateboard trucks, IMHO, but to each they're own.  The turning is why a lot of bowl/pool/vert guys ride them, because they like to carve a lot. I'm not a bowl/pool/vert guy btw, and never have been.

Here is a vid that sums up how Indys work pretty well:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I don't think Indy 149s have been 8.25 for awhile, but I could be wrong. I thought the last time Indy made an 8.25 truck was back when they were called 146s. My current 149s are 8.5.

I dont know, Pretty much 90% dudes in my town ride Thunders. We are not a big group, so I know how everyone rides his trucks, and tried every single board of my friends, just to try out. And there is one thing that I do on every single board I try out, and it is to do a circle, and find out how big it is. And all dudes that ride Thunder seem to have the smallest one.  But I can see where you are going, Im just too used to Thunders, and I dont think that I will ever change this.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 03:56:19 PM »
Back in the mid 90s, all I ever rode were the stock Indy bushings in my Indys. They worked fine back then after you broke them in.

I don't know anything about the current stock bushings, but I have heard lots of people complain about them. Indy makes aftermarket bushings that are totally different from the stock ones. As soon as I got my new Indys, I put the aftermarket bushings in and they ride great with those.

I've also heard Khiro and Bones bushings are good, but I have no experience with them. As long as the Indy aftermarket bushings continue to work, I'll keep riding them.

yea, i know what your saying, i remeber having 2 or 3 sets of stage 8's and the bushing's were great, i suggest you get bones medium bushings, but ride them with both washers, don't take the bottom one off, i know that's how it says to ride em' but from what i've found, is they turn better that way.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 09:19:49 PM »
thanks for the advise people.. yeah so i am not to sure if i want to invest $35 on a new set of thunders. seems like the indy riders who've tried em have been let down

[

The Twilight Zone

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 06:54:56 AM »
for real, fuck thunders.

brokenheadphone

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 08:08:24 AM »
I dont know, Pretty much 90% dudes in my town ride Thunders. We are not a big group, so I know how everyone rides his trucks, and tried every single board of my friends, just to try out. And there is one thing that I do on every single board I try out, and it is to do a circle, and find out how big it is. And all dudes that ride Thunder seem to have the smallest one.  But I can see where you are going, Im just too used to Thunders, and I dont think that I will ever change this.

It's possible that Thunder has changed up they're geometry a bit since I last had a pair even though they basically look the same. Either that or my memory is off, or the difference has to do with the way people run their bushings/how tight they ride, subjective interpretations, etc.

At any rate, I think most people can agree on this:

1) Thunders and Indys ride very differently

2) If you have a strong preference for one, you probably won't like the other, so just stick with what you have

myrrh

• Rep: 2
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »
I was a indy rider for years, but I only ride thunders now. Took some time to get used to, but now I love them.