Author Topic: What aspect of skating did you particularly enjoy today?  (Read 172717 times)

ill_Murray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
Re: What aspect of skating did you particularly enjoy today?
« Reply #1290 on: May 10, 2018, 01:51:21 PM »
I've been making it a point to skate switch more often, and not push switch mongo because mine looks awful. I'm actually getting pretty comfortable with it and landing switch shuvs, back 180s and switch flips which I could never do. It feels awesome.

Forcing yourself to skate switch between spots or tries at a trick improve this so fast. 

I just found out they took the skate stoppers off this ledge by my apartment so I went and skated it after work, felt good to hit a street spot instead of the park all the time.
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

bigrigbutters

« Reply #1291 on: May 10, 2018, 02:16:00 PM »
enjoying just cruising about town, im injured right now so i was just rolling about popping little ollies and half cabs but still had a great time

curbsmash

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1292 on: May 10, 2018, 02:19:21 PM »
I was editing/defending my dissertation most of the early-spring and NYC weather wasn’t cooperating when I had a little free time but I’ve been at three different parks the three days for a couple hours each and it feels so nice to get back at it.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1293 on: May 10, 2018, 03:58:49 PM »
me walking away with the pride of winning a game of skate conflicting with the shame of pulling out absolutely atrocious tricks like fakie shove body varials

calvinsdream

« Reply #1294 on: May 10, 2018, 06:09:44 PM »
Frontside slappies. Haven’t done them before today. I got pretty faded and decided to try one and it almost worked, a couple more attempts did it.

Bruh Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • Upstairs, fifth floor
« Reply #1295 on: May 12, 2018, 09:22:23 PM »
Expand Quote
I've been making it a point to skate switch more often, and not push switch mongo because mine looks awful. I'm actually getting pretty comfortable with it and landing switch shuvs, back 180s and switch flips which I could never do. It feels awesome.
[close]

Forcing yourself to skate switch between spots or tries at a trick improve this so fast.

I just found out they took the skate stoppers off this ledge by my apartment so I went and skated it after work, felt good to hit a street spot instead of the park all the time.

I can't get comfortable pushing switch no matter how much I practice ha. Along the lines of ill_Murray's post it was rad to skate something besides courthouse downtown today, even if it rained after a few minutes lol. Enjoyed learning how to wallie those springy plastic poles when we hit the garage spot. Also, it was pleasant to run into a security guard who could appreciate that we were simply seeking refuge from the rain and her garage happened to be the smoothest in town lol.

Bruh Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Upstairs, fifth floor
« Reply #1296 on: May 12, 2018, 09:24:44 PM »
Frontside slappies. Haven’t done them before today. I got pretty faded and decided to try one and it almost worked, a couple more attempts did it.
Sick, really want to learn slappies this year! A few parks have the perfect curbs to learn on just kinda scared to mash em frontside or backside lol.

Bruh Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Upstairs, fifth floor
« Reply #1297 on: May 12, 2018, 09:28:17 PM »
I was skating our diy yesterday and I was feeling a bit off, kinda just cruised and drank beers more than real skating when all of a sudden this guy in a wheelchair arrived, just parked his chair at the other corner where people were. Of course being a bit drunk and social fucker that I am I asked him to join the crew and in no time he was there cruising,doing manuals and shit and man, that gave me a blast to actually skate instead of drinking/chitchatting. Best sessions this year so far :)
Reading this made me happy.

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #1298 on: May 12, 2018, 10:55:28 PM »
Went riding around my Bermuda triangle after a bit of Red Hooks on the way to another bottle shop an lo and behold came across a grindable U Haul sittin on Beach Blvd across from that one spot Keenan Milton sskf'ed years ago...

On one attempt I rolled away a unicycle rider rollin down the street gave me props... I instantly laughed because that was the last thing I'd expected to see. After landing it a 2nd time I continued to do more tricks over gaps and up and down curbs till I reached home n called it a day... 

clintendo

• Rep: 24
« Reply #1299 on: May 13, 2018, 03:12:17 AM »
Went to a park today which is a bit out of town and had a good session with a park filled with only skateboarders, that doesn't happen often and made my day, also re-learnt FS sugarcane grinds on transition again which was nice.

disintegration

• Rep: -113
« Reply #1300 on: May 13, 2018, 03:33:49 AM »
Back 360's on flat. Backside smith grinds on low ledges, just higher than curbs. Feels so nice grinding them so low to the ground.

C Dash Money

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1301 on: May 13, 2018, 06:31:45 AM »
The smell of lilacs wafting by as I skated a spot this morning with my son (he rides a tiny bicycle while I skate).

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #1302 on: May 13, 2018, 09:43:53 AM »
It's been rainy for the past few days, and yesterday I passed on going to an indoor park to run errands and meet my ex to finalize our shared lease ending. I was pretty anxious about it and then she bailed which made me feel worse, so I decided to go skate a nearby parking garage by myself and instantly felt so much better. There's a lot of wholesome and corny stuff I could write about this, but in short, skateboarding is pretty great. :)

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1303 on: May 14, 2018, 03:12:20 AM »
hit a pretty nice hill, started chucking powerslides and accidentally slid into switch and didnt fucking die so that was cool

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1304 on: May 14, 2018, 06:24:13 AM »
Quick flatground session before work w/ new board, felt so good b/c I’m skating same shape as my old board so no need to adjust anything :)
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1305 on: May 14, 2018, 06:38:23 AM »
bad quality gif of the best feeling

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1306 on: May 14, 2018, 07:28:21 AM »
Landed 7/9 kickflip attempts last night before my injured knee told me to limp home.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #1307 on: May 14, 2018, 10:31:32 AM »
the sound your wheels make when you're rolling over cobblestone

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #1308 on: May 14, 2018, 11:58:27 AM »
Ingenuity. The three of us were pretty high and my homie pulled a box spring and put it at the top of the bank we were skating and started skating it as a lip.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #1309 on: May 14, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »
Being on the other side of the camera for a change and landing a line I've been meaning to film in over a year, at a spot that is the worst (but looks good on footy).
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1310 on: May 15, 2018, 02:37:26 AM »
Quick miniramp session by myself before work, it's starting to get too hot to skate before dark...
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Shuh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1311 on: May 15, 2018, 04:39:35 AM »
Learning Neen Williams heelflips, I can flick it but still landing just front foot it's ok just taking it slow and steady

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #1312 on: May 16, 2018, 06:58:41 AM »
yesterday I had a fucking shit day to the point where I didn't even feel like skating (or eating, or really nothing). friend called me out of the blue around 9pm saying he was going to the park for half an hour before it would get dark; for the lack of anything better to do and in need of fresh air I figured I'd change my mind, kick myself in the ass and go. I wasn't expecting much out of the session, feeling tired and unmotivated but actually, as soon as I got there I started skating lines like a motherfucker. I guess I really needed some kind of outlet or release that day; we all know skateboarding does wonders in those regards, but now I was on some kung-fu shit, I didn't even know my legs still had that energy. I just kept doing trick after trick for 20 minutes, barely missed anything, stringing together 7 trick lines all over the park and jumping back on my board to keep going as soon as I'd actually bail something. my sessions normally last anywhere from 2 or 3 to 10 hours on good days and I'm always told I have the most endurance, but there after less than half an hour I had done all my tricks, some new ones and I was fried. like I invested a whole afternoon worth of energy into half an hour, to the point where I started feeling dizzy so I just left with my friends who had already been at it for a while by themselves and we got food and chilled.

TLDR - the skateboarding equivalent of a quickie where I surprised myself with energy I didn't even expect to have half of in me

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1313 on: May 16, 2018, 08:33:50 AM »
skating with a local skate pionneer on vacancy in town for a few months, which I know for almost 30 years, great sessions !

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #1314 on: May 16, 2018, 08:59:34 AM »
Skated by myself last night and it was awesome.

Usually I will go with a couple homies to whatever nearby skatepark we choose to go to. However, last night I decided to go by myself, and it was nice. I could come and go whenever I chose, and I didn't have to wait around for anyone. Plus, I had a really good session, and I was having a good time cruising around .. until I broke my tail and had to end the session prematurely.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1315 on: May 17, 2018, 07:54:20 AM »
yesterdays lunch time sesh
completely eating shit within a minute of entering the park rolling into a 3 foot mellow quarterpipe.
sometimes a nice body slam first thing really speeds up the warm up process. and that is exactly what happened here. ended up being a fun session.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1316 on: May 17, 2018, 09:46:06 AM »
yesterdays lunch time sesh
completely eating shit within a minute of entering the park rolling into a 3 foot mellow quarterpipe.
sometimes a nice body slam first thing really speeds up the warm up process. and that is exactly what happened here. ended up being a fun session.

so true, love a little sack of potatoes within the first minutes of the session as a wake up-warm  up call

coreaf

• Rep: 22
  • sick
« Reply #1317 on: May 29, 2018, 09:50:54 PM »
my kickflip has never been particularly pretty but it used to at least be fairly consistent. hadn't had a real fuck yeah kickflip in too long. until today. a couple of them actually. felt like i was breaking the kickflip curse. it was kinda rainy though.  i eventually popped into a bank, slid out, and gronked my head pretty good. still hyped on the fuckin kickflips though.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1318 on: May 30, 2018, 08:49:57 PM »
Drinking bum wine in large quantities and hearing a teen praise the virtues and skill of "Cory Cedepa". I didn't have it in me to correct him, but some other guy coolguyed him then said Cepeda sucks and the conversation topic kinda petered out.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #1319 on: May 31, 2018, 04:24:56 PM »
Came home from work today to a new pair of shoes in the mail and an empty house. So naturally, I rocked a flat ground sash in the basement.

Learned how to ollie north/one foot - which I'm so happy about. I've had a multi-year long mental battle with them and today they just felt so natural.

Skating is my fucking favourite.