Author Topic: Biggest pet peeves while skating.  (Read 34926 times)

finknoos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
Re: Biggest pet peeves while skating.
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2011, 06:37:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
too much wax is a big one, especially from rollerbladers. Its bad enough on ledges, but what the hell are they thinking waxing up the LANDING to a gap!?

[close]

wait, people actually do that? i thought that was a joke?
[close]

nope, i even saw a kid wax the wierdest place the other day... the landing off a ledge, i still dont understand why youd wax there especially as he was just going for boardslide... also i did some tricks on the ledge and if youve got enuff speed to actually do anything you "gap over" the was anyway, strange.

also something quite funny, the other day there were loooads of people skating the park and at one point the same kid was about to wax the top of the manual pad?  ??? in unison the whole park screamed "NOOOOOOOOO" at him, he looked up and almost shat himself at 30-40 people shouting at him
[close]

whoa, that definitely isn't okay. my local park is pretty slippery to begin with, so maybe that's why i've never witnessed this phenomenon myself. the closest thing i've seen to that is when kids wax the side of the mini ramp, cause there's a one inch high drop down off the mini, so kids will wax it to learn 50-50s and stuff. however once they've got the basics down they'll go ahead and wax the top of the 'ledge' too (like where you would wax a normal ledge to lipslide and stuff). so now when you're skating the mini, you have to avoid the sides of the ramp or you slide out and die. the only advantage of this is that you can do slappies for dayzzzzzzz but it's definitely not worth it.

i think the problem might be caused by there bieng a sudden increase in wax adverts over the last few years, making kids think that wax is needed to skate everywhere, even flatground.

this kid (yes the same one as before) waxed a bit of floor because he couldnt rully rotate his 180's so he thought the wax would help  ???

i just dont understand these kids

superslopp

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2011, 06:53:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
too much wax is a big one, especially from rollerbladers. Its bad enough on ledges, but what the hell are they thinking waxing up the LANDING to a gap!?

[close]

[close]

nope, i even saw a kid wax the wierdest place the other day... the landing off a ledge, i still dont understand why youd wax there especially as he was just going for boardslide... also i did some tricks on the ledge and if youve got enuff speed to actually do anything you "gap over" the was anyway, strange.

also something quite funny, the other day there were loooads of people skating the park and at one point the same kid was about to wax the top of the manual pad?  ??? in unison the whole park screamed "NOOOOOOOOO" at him, he looked up and almost shat himself at 30-40 people shouting at him
[close]

whoa, that definitely isn't okay. my local park is pretty slippery to begin with, so maybe that's why i've never witnessed this phenomenon myself. the closest thing i've seen to that is when kids wax the side of the mini ramp, cause there's a one inch high drop down off the mini, so kids will wax it to learn 50-50s and stuff. however once they've got the basics down they'll go ahead and wax the top of the 'ledge' too (like where you would wax a normal ledge to lipslide and stuff). so now when you're skating the mini, you have to avoid the sides of the ramp or you slide out and die. the only advantage of this is that you can do slappies for dayzzzzzzz but it's definitely not worth it.
[close]

i think the problem might be caused by there bieng a sudden increase in wax adverts over the last few years, making kids think that wax is needed to skate everywhere, even flatground.

this kid (yes the same one as before) waxed a bit of floor because he couldnt rully rotate his 180's so he thought the wax would help  ???

i just dont understand these kids

i blame the parents

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2011, 08:22:55 AM »
lurkers
spit
smokers
little kids at the park
random noises just before trying something
rough ground
bikers
full pockets
skater kids asking pointless questions

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
lurkers
spit
smokers
little kids at the park
rough ground
bikers
full pockets

unlucky mate, prety much all of those things are unavoidable, except from full pockets

vince the stud

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -202
  • 4Q
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2011, 09:06:50 AM »
Expand Quote
lurkers
spit
smokers
little kids at the park
rough ground
bikers
full pockets
[close]

unlucky mate, prety much all of those things are unavoidable, except from full pockets
just go skate sreet ?

tricks are for kids , style is forever

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2011, 09:13:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
lurkers
spit
smokers
little kids at the park
rough ground
bikers
full pockets
[close]

[close]
just go skate sreet ?

yeah but then youll still have:
lurkers
spit
smokersrandom noises just before trying something
rough ground
bikers
full pockets

aswell as police,
anti-skaters (you know the people who get in the way on purpose)
security
muggers
blah blah blah

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2011, 08:25:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

no joke. a park near me has a gap equivalent to your average 5 stair. rollerbladers waxed up the entire landing, they would jump the gap and land sideways and slide for a few metres and then go to normal. it was fucking stupid. any skater trying that gap would get fucked up as the wax was caked on so fucking thick. it was slippery like ice. I still remember spending way too much time scraping it all off. I didn't want to skate the gap at the time but i didn't want to see some random little kid completely work themselves because of some stupid rollerbladers.

oh another pet peeve is RC cars at skate parks. really? thats the best place you can think to bring it? watch me mess up a trick and land on it.     

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2011, 11:46:10 PM »
Sudden noises while rolling up to an obstacle. Someone suddenly whistling or yelling in the background. It doesn't even need to be very loud to make me lose all focus

bingo.
if i think i hear anything resembling my name i get distracted almost instantly and think someones trying to talk to me.

new trucks.

BriDen

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2011, 11:52:15 PM »
oh another pet peeve is RC cars at skate parks. really? thats the best place you can think to bring it? watch me mess up a trick and land on it.     

Mess up? Anytime someone shows up at the park with one of those, we intentionally try to land on it.

john04o8

• Rep: -27
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2011, 11:55:41 PM »
kids begging you to play them skate, anywhere and everywhere you go

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2011, 01:04:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mess up? Anytime someone shows up at the park with one of those, we intentionally try to land on it.

Quoted for the truth. "Sorry bud, my board just kind of got away from me there."
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

TheFreshSC

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2011, 01:12:13 AM »
important things falling out of chino pockets, baseball hat flying off in the wind during a hill bomb, top lace loop rip and subsequent floppy knot, vulcanized shoe sidewall delamination, watching your skateboard speed away from you hit a solid object nose-first, hitting rocks/large cracks while skating past people on a sidewalk and being thrown to the ground in front of them

1eyebilly

• Rep: -2
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2011, 02:07:28 AM »
People who go to slow when they skate.
There is always bikes at my local park and they always get in the way.
Shake Junt and Berrics kids in LA.
When kids try to dangle their treys.

Rambo: The Skateboard Pimp

• Rep: -5
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2011, 02:30:11 AM »
rocks in my socks.....seems to happen all the time.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2011, 08:20:31 AM »
Expand Quote
lurkers
spit
smokers
little kids at the park
rough ground
bikers
full pockets
[close]

Nope. I used to skate this park, it had a ramp zone and a flatground zone with some boxes and rails. Ramps were occupied by bikers, also I can't do nothing on tranny so that didn't bother me. Ground was pretty smooth and clean. It was also prohibited to smoke in the park, so the smokers had to go outside the park to have a cigarette. No lurkers, no kids, didn't notice any random noises, although the park was located next to a busy street. By my standards it was a quite good place to skate. Now the flatground part is transformed into a streetball courts. :(

A.J.K.

« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2011, 08:33:10 AM »
Skating around with people that can't keep up.

Rollerbladers are not really a problem in my area, but people will wax the fuck out of everything, then not skate it.

Waxed up mini ramps.

Dumb 15 year old hollister kids just showing up to the park and just standing there in the way.

People who try and play you in skate just because they think they can beat you and show off.

Moms bringing their 3 year olds to the park and letting them play on the ramps.

Old people who care way too much about everything.

Friends having no motivation to leave our little area and explore more.

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2011, 11:09:40 AM »
Wind.
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

Latarian Milton

• Rep: 34
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2011, 10:58:09 PM »
Having the string from your hoodie hit you right in the eye when you pop, that seems to happen to me a lot...

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2011, 07:13:47 AM »
Having the string from your hoodie hit you right in the eye when you pop, that seems to happen to me a lot...

haha there's a legit pet peeve for ya.. ow.

kind of a similar vein: down to one pair of pants. they were skinny. had to go skate yesterday in them. everytime i bent my knees to try a trick it felt like my left nut was being strangulated (i'm goofy-footed). off to the salvation army today for this guy.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2011, 04:16:19 PM »
full pockets is a big one, weirds me out
hitting rocks and falling unexpectedly
"can you kickflip?" or really anyone asking me if I can do "trick X" or whatever. There was some 32 year old guy at the park the other day who was asking if I could manual...
little kids wanting to play skate, and then immediately saying "berrics rules?" because they can't no-comply
longboarders
the exodus of little kids from minivans into the park at the end of the school day (solved by arranging my course load so that I have gaps around 11-2 most days, park's usually empty)
kids who don't skate but come lurk with their friends
the fact that 99% of my friends quit skating
15 year olds asking to bum cigarettes from me
fights
15 year olds who are just getting into smoking weed and do it at the park and act like retards

security guards
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

jimi420

« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2011, 07:38:42 AM »
full pockets is a big one, weirds me out
hitting rocks and falling unexpectedly
"can you kickflip?" or really anyone asking me if I can do "trick X" or whatever. There was some 32 year old guy at the park the other day who was asking if I could manual...

Also when people bring their dog to the park and walk around with it. My girl did this yesterday and it pissed me off. Just sit in the grass and chill. nobody wants dog shit where they're trying to skate.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2011, 09:49:06 AM »
When little kids think that the park is exclusively theirs and are just all around rude as fuck. When I was younger, I was scared to death of the older guys. What happened to that fear?
Not having a belt/it breaking during a session. I don't want my pants sagging below my ass every time I pop a trick.
Whenever I ride my cruiser around campus, and people (usually those who don't skate) repeatedly ask me if they can ride it INSIDE the student center/a class/whatever. This one bitch asks me every damn time I  have it, and she just won't take no as an answer.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2011, 09:55:05 AM »
When little kids think that the park is exclusively theirs and are just all around rude as fuck. When I was younger, I was scared to death of the older guys. What happened to that fear?
This.

And this. Fucking sucks to go skate alone.

tre killa

« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2011, 11:24:35 AM »
Dirty griptape or just fucked up griptape man cant skate that shit

bandini

« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2011, 11:26:21 AM »
What happened to that fear?

Kids today have too much artificially inflated "self esteem" to be afraid. They're little entitlement monsters.

Plus, we older guys are way too nice. In the old days, the older dudes would smack you if you got in the way. Now, you try that & the kid's mom is gonna get out of the minivan where she's parked, reading US magazine, and slap a lawsuit on your ass.

Because I'm older, I often get asked "do you have kids?" My answer is always the same: "Hell no, I fucking hate kids." Always gets a laugh because they think I'm joking...

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2011, 12:29:56 PM »
Expand Quote
What happened to that fear?
[close]

Kids today have too much artificially inflated "self esteem" to be afraid. They're little entitlement monsters.

Plus, we older guys are way too nice. In the old days, the older dudes would smack you if you got in the way. Now, you try that & the kid's mom is gonna get out of the minivan where she's parked, reading US magazine, and slap a lawsuit on your ass.

Because I'm older, I often get asked "do you have kids?" My answer is always the same: "Hell no, I fucking hate kids." Always gets a laugh because they think I'm joking...

You've got that right. Not too long ago, my buddy and I were skating the box at our park, on a pretty damn busy day, and some kid just takes it upon himself to sit down and take a load off right on the box. So of course, the two of us, amongst others, are trying to get this kid to move, and the little fucker actually stood up, walked up to us and started tough talking us about "not owning the park." What kind of fucking kid does that to people twice his age?! What kind of fucking attitude is that?!

The little kids at my park are just the worst.

tre killa

« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2011, 07:01:19 PM »
Not having a belt/it breaking during a session. I don't want my pants sagging below my ass every time I pop a trick.
Whenever I ride my cruiser around campus, and people (usually those who don't skate) repeatedly ask me if they can ride it INSIDE the student center/a class/whatever. This one bitch asks me every damn time I  have it, and she just won't take no as an answer.
The hooligans at my local park arnt that bad partially becuase there is the guy called johnny healdsburg gnared as fuck dude kinda keeps every one in line. But there is this park like 30 mins away in sebastapol and all of the local kids are dicks I think partially its becuase there so good they think that they can just fuck with anyone at the park and there gonna get sponsered and shit I partially blame advertising in the skateboarding world especially shake junt deathwish etc. basically all a bunch of bullshitters skating for the wrong reasons being dicks

JD

• Rep: 37
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2011, 09:18:05 PM »
People who constantly talk about making it big and their dream sponsors
Going super fast then rolling on some rocky ground and slowing down to a stop
Shinners
New trucks
Bro imagine austyns face, but on biebels body!

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2011, 01:46:11 AM »
the "main" park in the middle of my city is full of those kids with "this is my park bitch" attitudes. skating there just feels awkward so many bad vibes and so much snaking. and if you cross them they will bring the wrath of hell down on you. not really but they are stuck up dicks all learning tre flip benihanas. I'm not big on skating in front of people as it is but there the constant vibing is overwhelming.

Sexy Alf

• Rep: 4
  • so damn sexy
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2011, 02:04:34 AM »
KIDS