Author Topic: Bringing your board on a plane  (Read 2632 times)

spool of cord

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
Bringing your board on a plane
« on: April 04, 2011, 07:44:57 AM »
Anyone ever try this with American Airlines? I'm flying tomorrow and need to know whether or not I should just leave my board at home. If I can't bring it on its gonna be my 3rd checked bag, costing me $100 alone. AA lets you bring a personal item and carry on item free of charge. I was hoping to bring the board as carry-on. So guys who have flied AA before, what can I do?
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
Re: Bringing your board on a plane
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 07:50:57 AM »
ive never had any trouble aslong as its strepped to a bag, and i mean a "skatebag" not just a bag with a board selotaped to the outsides, you know the types with straps. that bieng said i usually tend to put it in my suitcase in seperate pieces so it fits just incase.

but just so you know even tony hawks has had his board confiscated off him at airport security (and most people in the airport should know hes a pro and isnt gonna use his deck to smash the pilots face in)

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 457
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 07:53:37 AM »
Just put it in your suitcase. It doesn't even have to fit. I've traveled like that a bunch of times with half of the board just sticking out. Never had any problems.

LloydChristmas

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 08:11:14 AM »
Just put it in your suitcase. It doesn't even have to fit. I've traveled like that a bunch of times with half of the board just sticking out. Never had any problems.

yeah i've had it sticking out the top of a backpack with no problems, just tied a shirt over the exposed part. 

hamburglar

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 08:13:49 AM »
carried/packed my board on a plane 6 times in the last few months. no one seems to care.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 08:18:27 AM »
so just carrying my board onto the plane as is isn't a good idea huh?

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 08:22:47 AM »
American is fine... I use them between once and twice a year. I used to use a bag with straps, but now I just put it in the overhead wheels-up and let other people put their stuff on it if it's a packed flight. United and Southwest are cool about boards as well.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 08:26:51 AM »
right on, thank you grim!

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 08:27:04 AM »
i flew to SF a few weeks ago on American. The airline workers did nothing to stop people from bringing extra carry on luggage- i'm talking small suitcase, duffle bag, and knapsack per person.

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »
If u got holow trux u best stash dem drugs playa.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 11:36:35 AM »
I flew Virgin and they were cool with me having it as a carry on. I even had it wedged between my seat and they were cool with it.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 12:00:09 PM »
For domestic flights, I've never had a problem. For international flights, I throw it in a duffel bag and check it because I got it confiscated at Heathrow airport. With no legitimate reason. I've posted that story before, so I won't retype it now, but it's less of a risk/hassle not to try to take it as carry-on. I don't even try to take it as carry-on for domestic flights, but I have previously with no trouble.

In retrospect, at Heathrow I should have asked to do one ollie, done one, focused it, and then threw it in my backpack. But it was a completely new Traffic deck that I was really stoked on. At least I made some British kid's day.

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 01:32:33 PM »
It actually depends on the person working at the counter.  I've carried it on more than once with no problems, but once in awhile the person behind the counter will make a big deal about it and make you check it as luggage(usually for free).

Sometimes I truly believe the people that check you in just want free stuff.  I was going to Australia and I called the airline to see if I could bring my mini acoustic guitar on board and they said NO PROBLEM.  When I went to check in for my flight the lady told me I couldn't bring it.  I was pretty pissed off and told her I had called ahead.  She was like "well you can't bring it so I don't know what you wanna do with it?"  Then she's like "my daughter is learning to play so you can just leave it with me and it will go to a good home".  It was only 80$ so I was like whatever just take it.  Then the person working at the next counter asked me Why I wasn't taking my guitar with me.  I grabbed that shit back of that bitch and took it through security with no hassle. She was a fucking scam artist.

To be safe you can always call ahead to make sure, and don't let some bitch try to take it when you get there.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 03:00:06 PM »
I just took a flight, and the lady on the counter told me i had to check the bag, and that I should get my board as quickly as possible if not someone might steel my board. fucking mexicans.

newhampster

• Rep: 7
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 03:12:06 PM »
I'm literally on a flight right now with my board in the overhead compartment right above me.  Southwest doesn't give a fuck, they're more concerned with their planes making their flights in one piece. 

Inbred Jed

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 03:14:38 PM »
keister it

Bobbito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 03:18:02 PM »
Used AA, Delta, and Jetblue in the past 4 months and 3 out of the 4 times I just had to have the flight attendant put it in their little closet. Otherwise, no major problems.

myrrh

• Rep: 2
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 03:37:26 PM »
I've been denied several times to bring a board in with me. I even dismounted it.In the check in her reasoning was "I cannot know if you will put it together and skate around the airport" I was like "common Im not 14 years old" but there was no mercy. But thats in Europe.

Goblinshark

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 04:08:37 PM »
When I went from SFO to Italy they had no problem with me taking it on the plane and putting it in the overhead compartment. Flying from Rome to Sicily was a different story and I had to check it at the last minute. Almost lost it :(
Stephen Alcala: chris cole anit a loser
Stephen Alcala: frank grewer is an alcholic
Stephen Alcala: LOSER

septidons

• Rep: -5
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 04:15:55 PM »
I have flown tons, always with a board. Here are my experiences:

I tried to carry it on with me while wearing a skate bag. They denied it, so I strapped it to the skate bag, then it was okay. Idiots.
I once had it accepted as a carry on.
I have also thrown it in a duffel and checked it, because the people travelling with me were nitpicky and paranoid.

I would say the duffel is the best idea, it's just not worth it to try to skate inside an airport. You could get buttraped.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 04:33:01 PM »
For international flights, I throw it in a duffel bag and check it because I got it confiscated at Heathrow airport. With no legitimate reason.
The exact same thing happened to me.  It also happened the year before when trying to go from Madrid to Rome.  Never had a problem domestically though.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

nylin

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 04:38:51 PM »
Just put it in your backpack and shove it under the seat when you get on.

daniel

• Rep: 35
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 08:22:46 PM »
i've flown a bunch with a board as carry on.

once they made me check it. just snuck the baggage sticker on it and put it on the conveyor.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 09:34:40 PM »
I called AA today and they told me I could bring my board as carry on as long as it doesn't exceed 45" (length x width x depth). I think my board barely scrapes by, within a few inches of the limit. Funny requirement but I guess its keep people from bringing longboards on planes. Again thats just a guess.

..hopefully some bitch won't try and snag it. I've only skated my board three or four times and i'd be super bummed to see it go. thanks for all the imput guys

VictoriousOG

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 09:51:04 PM »
I bring my board as a carry on item all the time with all my flights. There was only one instance where I had to check it in, and that was when I was leaving London and heading back to the states. You should be perfectly fine.