Author Topic: Questions about Spain - mostly Madrid  (Read 2250 times)

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Questions about Spain - mostly Madrid
« on: March 17, 2011, 12:15:29 PM »
I'm working on an application to teach English in Spain right now and I have some questions about where to apply. The application of what area to live in is divided into 3 groups, with an option of which city to go to. The groups are:

1: Asturias, Ceuta y Melilla, Extremadura, La Rioja, Navarra, Pa?s Vasco
2: Arag?n, Cantabria, Castilla la Mancha, Catalu?a, Galicia, Islas Canarias
3: Andaluc?a, Castilla Le?n, Islas Baleares, Madrid, Murcia, Valencia

I believe that the most positions are available in Madrid, so I'll most likely apply there, but if you have suggestions for cities that are better to skate/live in, let me know. How is the skating there? Is the weather accommodating all year round? How long/expensive/practical is it for me to get to Barcelona from there? Are your cops a lot more lax than America or is that dying down with spots well blown out? I'm pretty much doing this 100% for the skateboarding, so if you have any suggestions, let me know. Thanks.

Frank the Rabbit

• Rep: 5
Re: Questions about Spain - mostly Madrid
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 12:25:05 PM »
I can tell you about Islas Canarias (where i live), there's a bit of acrisis here with traditional professions, like medicine and teaching, also english teachers get paid really well here and cops aren't gonna hassle you for skateboarding, ever. But really I think the best option is Barcelona, I mean there's like trillions of spots there that are still un-blown and cops might be a little more rude over there but they can't do anything, you can ust tell them to fuck off y'know? Fuck it if I were you the application would be well on its way to Barcelona.

Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love.
I'm so high right now, what's going on??

Frank the Rabbit

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
BTW Madrid totally sucks, it's people is completely xenophobic and racist, plus, very few spots, but on the bright side there's lots of drugs  ;D

Matthew Moon

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 12:43:24 PM »
On number three there is Valencia which is just below Barcelona, I would think its only three or four hours to Barcelona from Valencia, I would just do day trips to Barcelona on your days off..

I also think you are going have killer time just finding spots at any city you go too, But with Madrid I think has potential, I see a lot of greats spots popping up there!

earlygrab

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 04:10:42 PM »
 I was there only 3 days but Valencia is one of my favorite spots. felt like a mini Barcy

Eddy

• Rep: -6
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 04:42:06 PM »
dude I'm from Barcelona and travelled all round spain

I'm not hating on my own damm country and cities but

-the weather in the north sucks (good for catching waves if you are into surfing) except from Barcelona
- Madrid sucks, there ain't no skate culture, no skatespots, no plaza street vibe, weather sucks too
- South is kinda hot weather, only city with skate vibe: Malaga, aka you seen that plaza with the yellow blocks in fully flared, also the plaza with the marble ledge in debacle

if you like beaches, drugs and spiritual awakening and shit just go to the islands: Islas Baleares, Mallorca, Ibiza etc, after that you won't care anymore bout flatspots in wheels and shit

if you care about money just go to Pais Basco I guess theres where teachers got profit, or maybe not so much

and finally barcelona, livin it son

http://www.skhateyou.com/spots/Uni%20Autonoma/Universitaria-autonoma-6.jpg       
 oh shit  where I sit to take the college bus

matt.

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 08:46:48 PM »
anyone know how hard it is to get a working visa for spain?

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 11:51:15 PM »
If you get a working contract you don't need a visa as long as the contract is up. But seriously, I don't believe anyone would have problems expanding a vacation visit into a permanent residence. Either way, I suggest you to contact with the US embassy and ask about these things.

Ok, Bobby. If your plan is focused on skateboarding I would considere mainly Barcelona and do the thing the other way, visit the other places from there. Barcelona and Madrid are both expensive - by Spanish standards -, but Barcelona is more, let's say, manageable and overall open minded, best weather and all the things you already know. Madrid is a great city but I only enjoyed it when I'm visiting and got the feeling that staying everyday would become a huge unfriendly mess of a town. Of course that there are spots and parks but not a whole city to skate where new spots just pop up.

The Basque country is amazing but the weather sucks in winter - just like in all the northwest, this Atlantic thing like somekind of US eastcoast without the snow -, Vitoria and San Sebastian are very beautiful places. The basque country is the place where Javier Sarmiento and Javier Mendizabal are from and you probably have seen all the skate spots in their video parts. I believe that the last Gravis promos also have a lot of footage from there.

I cannot say much about the center, both Castillas and Extremadura, but to stay away of little cities just beacause of pure bore. Believe me.

The rest of the north coast and Galicia, northwest, are like low profile versions of the Basque Country. Galicia, where I'm from, is pretty much like that. Spring and summer are great, food is great and everybody speaks shitty english if they doesn't speak at all. The only place around here worth living could be Vigo, warmer weather, slightly big city, skateable downtown and the council is finishing this huge skatepark-place right by the piers - the classic spot (remember that Rodrigo TX ledge line in the last Flip video where he is doing his best Lil' Stevie impersonation, cammo cargos and shirtless).

Keep us informed and if you have anything else to ask...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:38:07 AM by Cosme »

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 02:14:36 AM »

And if you want up-to-date info about Barcelona you should ask Miguel Cidraque, he posts here as Mcidraque and is the guy behind http://feelskateboarding.com/main-feel.html

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 09:38:02 AM »
Thanks a lot for the help. Based on what you guys are saying, I might opt for Valencia.

I don't drink/smoke/whatever, but I can appreciate nature and whatnot. I grew up next to a Great Lake surrounded by woods. But I'm really looking for a nice, big-ish city with options for skateboarding, music, et cetera.

If I could apply to Barcelona, I would, but unfortunately it's not an option.

I didn't really clarify in my first post how the city preference for what I'm applying for works. You rank each regional preference by group and choose one city you want to live in. If you have any information on the other cities in those groups, it would be appreciated.

Also, any info on local music scenes? Is it hard to be vegetarian there?

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 09:41:30 AM »
And as far as weather goes, of course sunny and warm as long as possible is ideal, but I grew up in a town that has snow on the ground at least four, sometimes as much as six months of the year. As long as there's no snow, weather stays above freezing, and not too much rain, I think I can manage. With the program, I'd be there October-May.

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
Valencia is pure mediterranean weather and you'll be pretty close to Barcelona.
And I'm sure that vegetarian Paella won't be a problem...

If you happen to visit Galicia send me a pm or something.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:57:08 AM by Cosme »

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 03:00:08 PM »
Still in the application process but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks again for the help.

Frank the Rabbit

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 03:22:24 PM »
Thanks a lot for the help. Based on what you guys are saying, I might opt for Valencia.

I don't drink/smoke/whatever, but I can appreciate nature and whatnot. I grew up next to a Great Lake surrounded by woods. But I'm really looking for a nice, big-ish city with options for skateboarding, music, et cetera.

If I could apply to Barcelona, I would, but unfortunately it's not an option.

I didn't really clarify in my first post how the city preference for what I'm applying for works. You rank each regional preference by group and choose one city you want to live in. If you have any information on the other cities in those groups, it would be appreciated.

Also, any info on local music scenes? Is it hard to be vegetarian there?
I'm working on an application to teach English in Spain right now and I have some questions about where to apply. The application of what area to live in is divided into 3 groups, with an option of which city to go to. The groups are:

1: Asturias, Ceuta y Melilla, Extremadura, La Rioja, Navarra, Pa?s Vasco
2: Arag?n, Cantabria, Castilla la Mancha, Catalu?a, Galicia, Islas Canarias

I believe that the most positions are available in Madrid, so I'll most likely apply there, but if you have suggestions for cities that are better to skate/live in, let me know. How is the skating there? Is the weather accommodating all year round? How long/expensive/practical is it for me to get to Barcelona from there? Are your cops a lot more lax than America or is that dying down with spots well blown out? I'm pretty much doing this 100% for the skateboarding, so if you have any suggestions, let me know. Thanks.
Dude, Barcelona is the capital of Catalunya, so, it is in one of your options.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 10:18:35 PM »
Welp, shit. I didn't know Madrid and Valencia were both cities and regions. That's what I have you guys for.

I just submitted my online application with preference 1: Catalunya 2: Valencia 3: Pais Vasco.

Again, thanks for the help guys. I'm handing this in last minute as fuck, so it's unlikely I'll get it, but I'll let you know if I do.

Frank the Rabbit

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 07:40:57 AM »
Glad to have helped out, if you have any updates post them here, hope you get it in Barca.

matt.

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 07:27:09 PM »
how'd you go with this?

I'm thinking about applying at a TEFL school in barca.

Has anyone else taught english in spain?