Author Topic: amsterdam, what to do there?  (Read 4481 times)

Hercules Rockefeller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
amsterdam, what to do there?
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:31:53 AM »
sooo, i will be going to amsterdam in 2 weeks, please help me out: i wont be bringing my skateboard since i will be the only skateboarder on the trip, but still i would like to visit a shop there. what are the legit ones?

also, any insider-tips where to party if you?re not into that mainstream stuff (especially music) or cool spots to visit?

also, if you would like to meet up for a spliff or a beer, hit me up!
thanks a lot!

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: amsterdam, what to do there?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:35:33 PM »
Take a 30 minute train ride to Utrecht Centraal and go visit Supervet. It's a super legit shop. I know the manager of it. Utrecht is also a really nice city (especially in the summer) and it'll help you get away from Amsterdam, which is pretty touristy in the summer. If you go to Utrecht, go to Cafe Belgie. They have a huge selection of beers and it's my favorite bar in Utrecht. If you have a free day, go to Den Haag to go to a bunch of great museums. There's a Escher museum there that's amazing.

Sorry I can't give you too much help for Amsterdam. I know there's a couple blocks with bars that aren't very touristy and are fun to walk around, but I can't remember the street right now. I think it was something like "Leeuwenstraat," but I can't remember. I also suggest walking through random alleys where you only see one or two signs for stores/restaurants. I found a tiny pannenkoeken place like that my first time there and it was awesome. The red light district has a couple nice bars, especially ones right by the canal, and is fun to wander around for a night or two.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 03:44:46 AM »
id suggest you do bring your board if not just for traveling, theyve got bike lanes all over the place thats perfect for skating from place to place.

anyways if you do bring your board you have to go to the marnix straat bowl, just ask for marnix straat and its easy to find, if youre going for the green youve obviously gotta check out grey area, got the most potent strains ive ever had.

as for shops the only one that sticks out in my head is Ben G, nice little shop who luckily have Parra as their local artist so you can pick up one of these bad boys. hes done colabs with the likes ov nike and vans but Ben G is the only place i know where you can get a deck that is just Parra- no colabbo

rent a boat of some kind for a day, great fun and really good for your photography

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 05:27:35 AM »
just go to the green house thats the best coffeeshop in amsterdam you can smoke weed all day there

green house is good but by no means the best. id say (personally) that the best coffeeshop for weed is grey area hands down and the best one for chilling/good atmosphere is hill street blues

poopmonkey

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 04:43:28 PM »
supervet in utrecht changed managers a little while ago, not as much fun as it used to be. utrecht is really nice though, i live there. it's a smaller and less touristy version of amsterdam i guess, especially during the summertime. if you're planning on visiting utrecht see if there's a nice party at the tivoli. for partying in amsterdam there's of course melkweg and paradiso, which also host a lot of concerts and stuff like that. they're really close by the leidsche plein, which is the touristic heart i guess. it's kinda mainstream, but definitely fun. just walk around and try out different bars and small clubs near the red light district. also, if there's a jagermeister or vice-related party somewhere, be there or be square! have fun! as far as skateshops go "ben G" on the nieuwezijds voorburgwal (behind the dam palace) or TOM's (right inbetween subway stop "nieuwmarkt" and the dam) are probably the most legit, even though ben G dabbles a little bit too much in "street fashion" for my taste. they could probably tell you where the good clubs are at and such too. there's also a shop called subliminal who have a lot of ugly DC's but a super nice team, and a shop called rodolfo's i don't know a lot about. go out and explore!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 04:46:29 PM by poopmonkey »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 06:22:51 PM »
Leidsplein! That's the place I was thinking of.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 01:54:32 AM »
thanks a lot dudes, appreciate it.

my rough plan is to wander through the city the first 2 days, see where it takes us. i will surely check out your tips, and if they suck, i will kook you.

joking, kooking is serious, really serious, i wouldnt risk something as special as rep. so serious.

really looking forward to this, heard so many good things from amsterdam, from all age groups.

Poele

• Rep: 9
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 02:14:27 AM »
Instead of walking, renting a bike might be nice. (or buy a stolen one from a junkie for 5-10 euros, allthough this obviously makes someone very unhappy) It's a pretty good way to get around I think!

Vondelpark might be a nice place to hang out when the wheather is good, a little bit crowded possibly.

Have fun!

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 02:48:54 AM »
supervet in utrecht changed managers a little while ago, not as much fun as it used to be. utrecht is really nice though, i live there. it's a smaller and less touristy version of amsterdam i guess, especially during the summertime. if you're planning on visiting utrecht see if there's a nice party at the tivoli. for partying in amsterdam there's of course melkweg and paradiso, which also host a lot of concerts and stuff like that. they're really close by the leidsche plein, which is the touristic heart i guess. it's kinda mainstream, but definitely fun. just walk around and try out different bars and small clubs near the red light district. also, if there's a jagermeister or vice-related party somewhere, be there or be square! have fun! as far as skateshops go "ben G" on the nieuwezijds voorburgwal (behind the dam palace) or TOM's (right inbetween subway stop "nieuwmarkt" and the dam) are probably the most legit, even though ben G dabbles a little bit too much in "street fashion" for my taste. they could probably tell you where the good clubs are at and such too. there's also a shop called subliminal who have a lot of ugly DC's but a super nice team, and a shop called rodolfo's i don't know a lot about. go out and explore!

good point toms is a cool shop actually, i have a habit of buying shop boards from foreign shops to keep as momentos, last time i went i got the parra deck from Ben G and the ariel rebel deck from Toms but my board broke so i ended up skating the toms one. prety bummed i didnt get another to keep for the wall but i couldnt afford it. cant wait to go back and get another one (or five)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 02:54:11 AM by finknoos »

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 11:20:36 AM »
get a hooker and don't eat mushrooms.