Author Topic: New York City trip  (Read 4545 times)

gkn00dlez

New York City trip
« on: April 12, 2011, 08:52:32 PM »
So this summer I will be moving to Vermont for a couple months with my girlfriend just for the hell of it but before I do I am flying into New York to handle some business I didn't get to when I was there in January. By business I mean skate and explore without freezing my ass off. So I figured I would ask any and all slap homies for the scoop. I have a pretty good idea of what I am gonna do and the places I want to skate while I'm there. I'm just posting for two reasons.

1) Info on the cheapest most convenient place to crash (hostel, hotel, etc) while in the city
2) If any New York heads are down to show me around, skate, grab a few beers and talk some shit. I'm flying in by myself and I don't know a damn person in the city and I will only be there for a few days. (july 1st - july 4th)

Any and all help will be highly appreciated and rewarded with cigarettes and beer.

gkn00dlez

Re: New York City trip
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:40:44 PM »
170 replies to a thread on Chicago, not even one on a thread for New York? Things must be discreet in the big apple. Not a single NYC head has any info to give.

gkn00dlez

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:11:38 PM »
Yeah I just plan on skating all four days. Just from one end of the city to the other. Try and meet up with some local dudes so I don't get lost. Maybe take the train to Brooklyn and spend the whole day on the prowl. Strict diet of corner store snacks and soda and $1.00 slices. Might not even sleep the whole time i'm there. I'm still pretty young. I can pull it off I think. It just seems like this Travel Guide portion of the boards don't get much love. What's up with that? I want some info that I can't find on Quartersnacks.

idealhandmades

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:03:02 AM »
Yeah I just plan on skating all four days. Just from one end of the city to the other. Try and meet up with some local dudes so I don't get lost. Maybe take the train to Brooklyn and spend the whole day on the prowl. Strict diet of corner store snacks and soda and $1.00 slices. Might not even sleep the whole time i'm there. I'm still pretty young. I can pull it off I think. It just seems like this Travel Guide portion of the boards don't get much love. What's up with that? I want some info that I can't find on Quartersnacks.

there's your problem right there.
@idealhandmades

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 01:24:52 PM »
I'll answer any questions you have, but try the search box. There's mad NYC travel threads.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

gkn00dlez

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 07:04:05 PM »
Oh believe me my browser is loaded with bookmarks from many threads I have stumbled upon. I'm pretty solid as for where to skate, what to eat, etc. I was specifically wondering though like what the weather is normally like, where is the cheapest hostel/hotel in lower Manhattan, what events, fests, other random shit is going on that time of year, etc. That stuff is hard to find through the search. And Google hasn't been too much help either. Haven't gotten out of the south to skate for a minute and i'm overly hyped on this trip.

CATZ

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 07:26:51 PM »
on this website you can find some pretty awesome places to stay http://www.airbnb.com/search

tre killa

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 10:46:16 AM »
Best site ever for skating in manhatten
http://www.nyskatespots.com/

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 07:48:42 AM »
Fourth of July should be a good time to skate the city. It's basically the holy grail of vacation days along with Christmas and New Year's, you can count on security being short staffed. The city will be dead. Everyone will be at the beach. It will be brutally hot by that time, which is why everyone will be at the beach.

If you're interested in seeing what shows are happening, check out http://www.ohmyrockness.com

For random stuff, grab a Village Voice and/or Daily News. That will have current info on all kinds of crap. If anything skate related is happening, you'll find it on http://www.nyskateboarding.com
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
get wasted and pass out.

gkn00dlez

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 10:22:21 AM »
Fourth of July should be a good time to skate the city. It's basically the holy grail of vacation days along with Christmas and New Year's, you can count on security being short staffed. The city will be dead. Everyone will be at the beach. It will be brutally hot by that time, which is why everyone will be at the beach.

If you're interested in seeing what shows are happening, check out http://www.ohmyrockness.com

For random stuff, grab a Village Voice and/or Daily News. That will have current info on all kinds of crap. If anything skate related is happening, you'll find it on http://www.nyskateboarding.com

That's what I want to hear.

Tardvark

• Rep: -17
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 03:24:03 PM »
I dont live in the city but im down to meet up and skate. pm me and ill give you my number

gkn00dlez

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 11:21:38 PM »
Leaving in less than a week. Who's got some info on things going on the weekend after next?

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 11:08:10 AM »
Leaving in less than a week. Who's got some info on things going on the weekend after next?

I have a full time job, girlfriend, and kid, so I'm not very knowledgable as to activities which don't involve me skating or my toddler having fun, but I've been planning a little DIY mission, which looks like it will be coming together next Friday night if you'd be into helping with that sort of thing.  Unfortunately, my girlfriend's sister, cousin and mother will be staying with us that weekend, so we won't really have any open floor space left to crash on.

gkn00dlez

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 08:42:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have a full time job, girlfriend, and kid, so I'm not very knowledgable as to activities which don't involve me skating or my toddler having fun, but I've been planning a little DIY mission, which looks like it will be coming together next Friday night if you'd be into helping with that sort of thing.  Unfortunately, my girlfriend's sister, cousin and mother will be staying with us that weekend, so we won't really have any open floor space left to crash on.

Oh it's cool man I have my living arrangement squared away. Booked my room at the cheapest hostel in the city. But I would definitely be down to help the cause. Shoot me a PM with more info and i'm all for it.

penguin meat

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 10:17:23 PM »
Hey dudes, I live in Jersey City, just over the river from the city. With what little free time I have I'd be happy to help you folks skate some good spots and enjoy the city.

gkn00dlez

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 11:46:45 PM »
Hey dudes, I live in Jersey City, just over the river from the city. With what little free time I have I'd be happy to help you folks skate some good spots and enjoy the city.

Fuck yeah dude. Let me know whats up. I'll be there from the 30th till the 4th. If you have the time and are down to skate let me know.

penguin meat

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fuck yeah dude. Let me know whats up. I'll be there from the 30th till the 4th. If you have the time and are down to skate let me know.

I work at a liquor store, and the weekend before the 4th of July is definitely going to be busy, so I'll be working those days, but not all day.  We'll have some time.

gkn00dlez

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 10:54:03 PM »
Anyone going to this?

I'm pretty hyped on it.

CATZ

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 08:34:16 PM »
i know im going off topic but is it do-able to show up to new york and find a job/live?

manbergur

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 09:22:44 PM »
show up and find a job? i mean you can give it a shot - you may be able to find some restaurant related job or some shit work being someone's slave/minion/assistant/bitch...

and you could always go camp out in the freedom tunnel with the homeless/street punks..  although they may have cleared them out by now.. who knows.. find a couch to crash on maybe? or a secret spot in central park beneath some bushes lol
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:24:20 PM by manbergur »

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 02:41:33 PM »
Any of you guys hit the highline benches?  This is the best shot of the benches I could find, but there are tonnes along the line with proper run ups and run outs

Be hard to hit though, till it settles down a bit with people.

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 12:27:45 PM »
They got private security too. It'd be tough to get it in. Caddo had a bs flip photo by Mehring though. It was fuckin' beautiful.

That spot is sick. Great place for bird-doggin' chicks.
get wasted and pass out.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 12:00:17 AM »
They got private security too. It'd be tough to get it in. Caddo had a bs flip photo by Mehring though. It was fuckin' beautiful.

That spot is sick. Great place for bird-doggin' chicks.

he's a biiiird dawwwwwwwwwwwg

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 12:24:43 PM »
Yo,
I just moved here about 3 weeks ago and if any heads are around let's go shred/grab a beer. Already made friends with quite a few awesome folks but the more the merrier. PM me. Going with some friends to house of vans tonight for that bbq thing.

Antonio_SC

• Rep: -4
    • Taste Wheels avatar image
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 08:35:46 PM »
Hi, I just arrived in NY 2 days ago from Italy. I rent a house in harlem and I'm searching for spot in harlem. Any advice? Someone told me about some ledges between 110th and lexington ave but don't know where exactly. I would like to go to Astoria too, is that far?
thanks!

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 10:01:45 PM »
It really depends man. Nyc skate map is a good website to check out but just go cruise and find some shit. Nothing is "too far" some things just take longer to get to than others and it depends how much time you have. It's on the subway so whether you go one stop or all the way out to astoria it's all going to cost the same.

Antonio_SC

• Rep: -4
    • Taste Wheels avatar image
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 04:40:57 AM »
Thanks for the help, i'll be in new york till 31st so I defnitly have time to check astoria park! Any other suggestions are more than welcome!

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 04:22:53 AM »
The guys at Skate Brooklyn in Propect Heights are good dudes.

gkn00dlez

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 09:13:04 PM »
Gonna be back in New York on the 7th and 8th. There were a couple dudes who were down to go skate last time I was out but we got rained out. Lost the phone numbers but if you guys are still down hit me up.