Author Topic: Heavy Rain  (Read 826 times)

ROFLCOCKTOR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
  • soisoisoisoisoi
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Heavy Rain
« on: May 04, 2011, 01:31:42 PM »
I really wanted to try this game when it came out but didn't get around to it until this past weekend. For anyone who is aware of the game and hesitant to try it, I gotta say, try it. It may not be be the best game out or have any online component whatever, its script may not be the best and the voice acting can be pretty varied.

However for what the developer tried to do, create a interactive movie, in which you care for the characters and really try to make sure they all make it out safe at the end, they succeeded immensely. There are several scenes in this, where you are so fucking tensed up at the actions happening, because knowing that the wrong move will kill off any character for the rest of the game, it actually gives you a reason to give a fuck.

Its visually stunning, really excellent art direction. The environments look more then adequate and most of the characters are done so well they leap right over the uncanny valley. The voice acting is some of the best in any game, though some minor characters have a wacky accent and the music is done so well it good easily pass on a high budget Hollywood Oscar film.

Its really really enjoyable, may not be ideal for most vidya game players, but the ones who are interested in trying something different, will certainly enjoy this game.

If you got a ps3, rent this or buy it (only $30 new now). I fully support this developer in whatever they try next, a few tweaks, tighter script and a more varied replay experience and it could become a entirely new genre of games.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 01:44:57 PM by ROFLCOCKTOR »

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1001
Re: Heavy Rain
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 05:08:02 AM »
I want to get it. Too bad it's a PS3 exclusive. I don't want to spend the money on another gaming system, but if this is as good as Indigo Prophecy was, I might.

carlwinslow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 11:40:10 AM »
got this a while ago. the beginning was way too slow so i just put it aside. i should probably get into it again though.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 02:52:28 AM »
I remember it being a great game when I played it. I had a flight the next day and had the day off work and finished it in almost one sitting. Wow it was depressing as fuck though, even if you get a "good" ending it was gut wrenching at times. Really well done though. I want to try it with the PS Move now but I traded it in after I beat it, not the kind of game you want to play twice, even though it has multiple endings.

ROFLCOCKTOR

• Rep: 9
  • soisoisoisoisoi
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 11:13:13 AM »
It definitely does start slow, really slow, i figure its to accustom you to the movement mechanics and give you the sense that John Mars is just a normal every day dude. But still its very slow. It picks up hugely around the middle and towards the end its a legitimate thrill ride. When I completed it I got the 'good' ending, in which everyone gets what they want and no one dies. My GF is playing it now on easy and shes already killed a character about half way in, so i'm interested to see how it ends.

Quantum Dream is making a new called they're gonna share info about at e3, so i'm pretty excited what it is.