Author Topic: Bringing a board on a plane?  (Read 2273 times)

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
Bringing a board on a plane?
« on: June 10, 2011, 11:22:36 AM »
So next friday I'm leaving on a trip to China to see family, and I want to bring my board. I was thinking of bringing it as a carry-on, but some lady who works for the plane company said she thinks I won't be able to bring it. If everyone can bring does little rolling luggege things on the plane which are bigger and heavier than a board, why can't I bring a board on the plane?

Anyways, does anyone know the rules or regulations about this kind of thing?

marginal way

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 51
  • making it happen
    • marginal way website avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Bringing a board on a plane?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 11:27:38 AM »
it varies airline to airline. most will let you carry on your board, but some won't. to be safe, take your board apart and put it in your checked luggage.
i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...
www.marginalwayskatepark.org

twitter- @MWDIY facebook- http://www.facebook.com/mwdiy

William Jefferson Clinton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -228
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 11:35:32 AM »
Get a big pack pack, or one of these. Probably not cheap though.  But if you can afford a trip to China, you can afford one.

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 02:06:37 PM »
I've taken mine as carry on in my Es Boarding bag

think mine cost around ?25 ish plus there's enough room in the bag for the rest of your usual carry on stuff (book/ipod/drink/etc)

nylin

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »
If you have a backpack with board straps just strap it on and put it under your seat.

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 10:15:25 AM »
I do a lot of travel and fly a lot, I always bring my board with me. I find the easiest way to do it is to put your board in a duffel bag with all your clothes and shit and check it. Carrying it on would be a pain in the ass, and you can just carry on a smaller backpack with like books and music and whatever.

Made In China

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 02:26:16 PM »
It doesn't fit in the duffel bag I have and putting in the luggage makes it heavier (there's weight restrictions) and takes up room. I also have no idea how I would get one of those skate bags without having to order one online. I know that I'll be taking Air China so I'm going to check out their website.

aWizard

• Rep: 6
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 05:59:28 PM »
I flew from Texas to Japan a couple of weeks ago. I had a duffel bag, backpack, and my skateboard. I checked the duffel bag because most airlines allow either two check-ons or a carry on and personal item (supposed to be for like strollers and wheelchairs, but I used it for my skateboard). So I carried the board with me until I got to Tokyo. I had one more flight with JAL and I already knew they had to check it in, they wrap it in plastic for me just in case it is raining. I fly between Japan and the states and within Japan pretty often, and I always take my board.
I like my trucks between "loose" and "you're a faggot".

cwa

• Rep: -1
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 07:32:10 PM »
I can confirm that Alaska and Southwest will let you carry on a board. If you're flying to China though, you're not flying Alaska or Southwest.

Esmith1988

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 09:57:59 AM »
i work for an airline so i travel to skate alot, i always bring my backpack and my board with me on the plane, normally ill have my deck in the overhead bin with the grip facing the back end of the bin up on its side, that way people can still fit all of their shit in there without really causing a problem, theres no way the fa's will let you put a 32 inch object under the seat, that shit would be way too long

Made In China

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 05:10:02 PM »
http://www.airchina.com.cn/en/travel...nchecked.shtml

fuck, it meets the weight requirements but not the size. If your too lazy to click on the link, it says it can be only 21 in long and my boards 31 in. Anyone ever check their board in just by itself, not in a suitcase or anything? I might just do that but I don't want it getting thrown around and getting chipped or something.

aojiru

• Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
Link doesn't work anyway.

No chance of fitting your board in a suitcase diagonally?

aWizard

• Rep: 6
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 07:38:29 PM »

fuck, it meets the weight requirements but not the size. If your too lazy to click on the link, it says it can be only 21 in long and my boards 31 in. Anyone ever check their board in just by itself, not in a suitcase or anything? I might just do that but I don't want it getting thrown around and getting chipped or something.

I've already answered this question higher up. But I'll go again.
Ya I've checked just the board more than once. I don't know about Air China, but Japan Airlines wraps it in plastic a couple of times around so it doesn't get damaged or wet.

I like my trucks between "loose" and "you're a faggot".

William Jefferson Clinton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -228
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 10:32:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've already answered this question higher up. But I'll go again.

I dont think he even read the replies.

Ex Lion Tamer

• Rep: 18
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 10:58:26 PM »
I usually just put mine under my seat.

stef

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 05:57:45 PM »

Link doesn't work, so I'm not sure what it says, but I know a lot of airlines say it can't be more than x inches long, but it's ok if its length+width+height aren't more than a certain number.  The 21" thing might just be for rolling bags.

I've carried mine on in a skateboard bag before and had no trouble.

Councilman Doug

• Rep: 16
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 06:27:12 PM »
I flew to HI last winter with a backpack and a skateboard... No problems