Author Topic: Richmond, VA  (Read 1958 times)

InternetDaddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
Richmond, VA
« on: June 13, 2011, 07:32:43 AM »
Couldn't find a topic about it on the first 5 pages, so here goes: I'm transferring to VCU in August and I was just wondering if anyone has any info on Richmond. Are there good street spots that aren't a bust? Any fun parks? Good skate shops in the area? Restaurants/bars that are good/cheap? Also, I keep hearing alternating information about Hippoland, some say it's gone, some say the cops show up if you go there and try to build/skate, and other people have said that it's still going strong. I'd like to know the truth, if anyone has it. Anyways, thanks in advance for the help!
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Richmond, VA
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 05:36:06 AM »
  • hippo has been a wrap for like a year, unless dudes have built new shit there lately
  • there are a few "boxes on tennis courts" type places that are decent
  • Venue is the only legit shop, they are cool as fuck
  • best bars are Beach House, Republic, NY Deli, sticky rice
  • Downtown is always there

FranklinSt4Ever

• Rep: 4
    « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 07:31:13 AM »
    I have no idea who/where Venue is, but I went to Dominion skateshop in Carytown for the 5-6 years that I lived in Richmond.

As far as I know, I agree with carbonite that Hippo has been dead for a long ass time. As far as popular spots go:

Suntrust Plaza- "perfect" ledge spot. A 4 or 5 marble benchs that are a bit taller than knee height. Also a few smaller benchs. Also has a few small sets of stairs and has the gap to round ledge/gap spot that Gilbert Crockett recently had that AWS ad where he ollies over the bench and down the stairs. Last time I was in town, people were saying that they recently got new security that was a lot more aggressive than before, so watch out.

Franklin street ledges-Ledge spot that has been around forever. Basic double sided ledge. Concrete ground on one side, brick on the other. The ledges have seen years of skating and BMXing so they are pretty chunky but after living in Richmond for 6yrs, I only got kicked out of this spot about 3 times after periods of skating here every day for months. There are also some ledges across the street that aren't as chunky and haven't seen as much action, but are higher as well as a couple of ollie up ledges and a few gaps right on the corner of Franklin street and Monroe Park.

City Hall-Some type of material that grinds really well on the ledges, as well as the main stair set (10) that everyone goes to to get broke off for their ender.

Richmond Library(s)-The one next to city hall has a decent/weird ledge setup thing and a 9 stair. The one close to VCU's campus used to have legit ledges that were knobbed a few years back, but still have some planters that you can skate, a grate gap, and a decently large double set.

Federal Courthouse-Ledge to street gap over some poles.

DMV-Rails that have been knobbed/denobbed multiple times.

Kanawha Plaza-probably messed up the spelling, but whatevers. Large double set, brick banks next to the double set. During winter, people skate the fountain gaps, one that is an oversized 4 stair, the other an oversized 7 (I think).

Geometry Park-Brick, lopsided ground.  Bunch of concrete ledges, shapes. A few gap to ledges.

There are also various spots tucked away in corners downtown/throughout the city, but obviously its impossible for me to tell you about every spot.

Best Bar is Strange Matter so you can get your NBA Jam on while drinking.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
    • sup breh
    « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 02:12:20 PM »
    Awesome, thanks guys! I'm gonna have to check all of that out.
    Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

the ragamuffin

• SLAP Pal
    • Rep: 49
    « Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 05:39:17 PM »
    I've been here for just about two years, and as far as spots go, I'm still trying to figure that out--there is shit everywhere though if you look. One of my favorites is Albert Hill Middle School, but its not much--just a bump and a bench with a piece of angle iron (a new addition), but after school hours no one will mess with you at all.

In terms of bars/restaurants, I've figured that out a lot better. www.rvaspecials.com is awesome because it lists drink specials, which are pretty hard to find online. Basically, during the week, you can find 1-2 dollar beer, rails and tacos all over the city.

Good luck, man

the ragamuffin

• SLAP Pal
    • Rep: 49
    « Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »
    My friend just told me about this place on Semmes and 28th where they apparently just built a huge (12' maybe) quarter pipe and have ledges and whatnot. I'm probably about to check it out after work today around 4.

Jason, you know anything about this? BTW I have a car now, so I'm mobile.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
    • sup breh
    « Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 08:51:19 AM »
    I've been here for just about two years, and as far as spots go, I'm still trying to figure that out--there is shit everywhere though if you look. One of my favorites is Albert Hill Middle School, but its not much--just a bump and a bench with a piece of angle iron (a new addition), but after school hours no one will mess with you at all.

In terms of bars/restaurants, I've figured that out a lot better. www.rvaspecials.com is awesome because it lists drink specials, which are pretty hard to find online. Basically, during the week, you can find 1-2 dollar beer, rails and tacos all over the city.

Good luck, man
    That middle school actually sounds like a pretty fun spot, haha. Good looks on that website! I can never find drink specials anywhere online, that's sick that you can get cheap shit pretty much any day of the week. I live in northern VA right now, and all the bars around here are way too expensive, it'll be nice to drink at a bar and not feel like I'm going broke. I'm fucking stoked to move down there in August, Richmond seems like a cool city.