Author Topic: Big Brother Danny Way Interview  (Read 20619 times)

whatmakesaskateboarder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Big Brother Danny Way Interview
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:02:09 PM »
I only recently learned of Danny Ways "dark side" through an article at www.youwillsoon.blogspot.com, came here to get a little informed and when I finally found someone who told the Danny Way story, that someone referred to an interview DW gave to Carnie in Big Brother a while back. Could anybody post it up here or maybe provide a link? I would love to read firsthand how much of an idiot Danny Way is and use the interview as source material for an article on the guy.

Thanks

P.S.: I find it quite shocking that I never learned of that incident through the big Skateboard magazines. Just proves once more how much of cocksuckers of the industry they really are...

Buddy G

Re: Big Brother Danny Way Interview
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 12:19:01 PM »
are you talking about shooting horses and immigrants or killing the gay dude, because the gay dude thing is just a rumour.

whatmakesaskateboarder

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 12:25:50 PM »
are you fucking kidding me?!

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 01:15:22 PM »
are you talking about shooting horses and immigrants or killing the gay dude, because the gay dude thing is just a rumour.
Somebody posted the article about the other dude getting busted for it. Lets just put it this way-the article confirmed that a gay man was beaten to death with a brick on a night while Danny Way was AT LEAST present.

I find it quite shocking that I never learned of that incident through the big Skateboard magazines. Just proves once more how much of cocksuckers of the industry they really are...

I don't. Not only is the skateboard media a bunch of cocksuckers to pros, they also go out of their way in attempts to discredit places like SLAP for producing more than just hyped up longform press releases. The industry is a stupid circle jerk with an ego problem. They would never admit to flaws in their business buddies. Want proof? Look at every post Jamie Thomas has ever had on here explaining why pros are all awesome and do no wrong. He is a real obvious example of an industry circle-jerker. Hell, even Karl has talked shit before.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Buddy G

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 03:08:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Somebody posted the article about the other dude getting busted for it. Lets just put it this way-the article confirmed that a gay man was beaten to death with a brick on a night while Danny Way was AT LEAST present.

josh swindell,  i think the story was the guy was killed outside of the bar and danny was inside but i'm not saying i believe it, essentially both danny and josh were complete assholes and either could easily have done it.

and yeah, the skateboard 'press' is bullshit, every page of pretty much every magazine should have 'advertisement' printed at the top.

Edward Sebastian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • This is what we live for.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 05:06:14 PM »
And of course anyone who knows anything is well aware that one of skateboarding's most respected pros is gay. He's never openly come out, but it's pretty common knowledge. Personally I've always been really stoked that the skater in question still enjoys tons of popularity, respect, has sponsors that back him 100% and no one has gone out of their way to out him. To me, that's proof right there that skateboarders are not the raging homophobes that people make them out to be.

i'm assuming he's talking about BA, anyone care to shed some light on this?
"RIP to myself one day" - JR Blastoff

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 08:37:49 PM »
Doug Brown's my guess

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 457
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 08:48:45 PM »

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 10:10:44 PM »
P.S.: I find it quite shocking that I never learned of that incident through the big Skateboard magazines. Just proves once more how much of cocksuckers of the industry they really are...

The Josh Swindell incident had been covered by skate magazines at the time. Craig Stecyk wrote about it (and mentioned Jay Adams, who did prison time for a hate crime/murder). Also, Swindell very openly discussed his criminal past in Big Brother (Mexican prison interview) and Thrasher (where he directly referred to his murder trial).

Danny Way was neither convicted nor charged as an accessory to the murder. I think the homophobe label actually originated with the XYZ rainbow graphic. You should contact him directly if you want source material.

And as a matter of trivia, one of the first openly gay skateboarders was Keith Ogden--the guy Swindell killed.

William Jefferson Clinton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -228
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 10:16:26 PM »
From this thread- http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=15845.0
It was the first (reported) gay-bashing-murder to hit the skateboard world. Worse, the one skater I idolized was some how involved. You may have heard of him, as he is quite famous. His name is Danny Way.

The facts were in dispute. However, a jury found that Josh Swindell was guilty of a second-degree hate crime murder*. He is now in jail for life.

Word on the street was that Danny, Josh, and Steven Matus were out in L.A. somewhere. They were drunk. They some how came into contact with the Keith Ogden. There was an altercation. At then end Mr. Ogden was dead. Swindell claims the Ogden was really drunk, had a gun, and kept coming-on to Swindell and the others. Swindell admits to hitting Ogden. However, Swindell claims that Ogden had a pre-exisitng head injury that lead to his death. Without this injury, I guess it would have just been a "normal" gay bashing. The other side of the story was that Swindell and crew were out looking to beat up someone who was gay. Either way, he killed someone. As far as I know, Danny Way was never charged with anything, and I do not know the extent of his involvement. However, it is known that he was there.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:18:57 PM by Skater Austin »

Doogie Howser Ph.D.

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 10:18:27 PM »
shur tbw fuck up skayer boston, no one is goinf to take u seriouslg man boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 10:30:55 PM »
shur tbw fuck up skayer boston, no one is goinf to take u seriouslg man boy
But that wasnt me, it's from an older thread from 2007.

Doogie Howser Ph.D.

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 10:31:50 PM »
C wut i fuxjin mean?? call me a bitcb nigga

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 10:39:28 PM »
You're so fucking  dumb.

Doogie Howser Ph.D.

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 10:40:41 PM »
Hell yeah thts wut im talkin about nigga. step 1 is?complerw

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 10:57:54 PM »
okay, since this Danny Way/Josh Swindel gay murder rumor never seems to die
skip to 58:15 for real info
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/john-doe-zine/2009/12/09/interview-with-mike-ballard

EDIT: btw, those are the worst interviewers on the planet.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:00:44 PM by able »
ableSkateMag.com

daniel

• Rep: 35
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 11:58:08 PM »
dude's dates don't add up.

court case transcripting error? or swindell/way apologist

Morgan Burguess

• Rep: -5
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 07:45:27 AM »
if anyone from the old Big Brother crew reads this -
start a website, please scan all the old issues and put them online as an PDF.

You can make fucking money with advertising... i woud visit the website daily and woud read in
the old magazines...

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 09:27:06 AM »
okay, since this Danny Way/Josh Swindel gay murder rumor never seems to die
skip to 58:15 for real info
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/john-doe-zine/2009/12/09/interview-with-mike-ballard
The other dude seems to have done pretty well for himself:
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-mateus/11/807/69

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1596426659

EDIT: btw, those are the worst interviewers on the planet.
Ha, I did one with those cats a while back... nice dudes, but it felt awkward as hell.

kevbo999

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 11:01:48 AM »
I wonder what BA thinks of Danny Way.

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 11:23:11 AM »
The homophobia thing is a matter of fact. In the Big Brother issue where they interview skaters about their kids (Vallely is doing a grab over his daughter on the cover) they do a few questions with Danny. He comments that his kid would never grow up to be gay because he's a good parent. Classy!
He also flips the fuck out when they ask if he is sure the kid is his. I guess interviews like that are really not going to happen anymore.

Skate Edge

• Rep: -36
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 02:14:28 PM »
The following quote is from a Column One article in the Los Angeles Times entitled "Skateboard Pros: Life on the Edge," dated Sunday, March 6, 1994:

"[Josh] Swindell had driven up from Carlsbad [to Asuza] with Danny Way, another top star, to attend a rap party at a rented bar.  A Scrawny man named Keith Ogden crashed the event, according to court records.  Witnesses would later testify at a preliminary hearing that Ogden, 31, approached Way outside the bar and flashed some bills in an apparent bid to buy sexual favors.

"When Ogden persisted, according to Way's testimony, Way knocked him out with one punch--after which a club bouncer did the same to Way.

"Both men were dragged inside.  Later in the night, several attempts were made to send Ogden away; the last involved Swindell and a 17-year-old skateboarding friend.  They were seen dragging and kicking Ogden across the street, one witness testified at the preliminary hearing late last year.

"Ogden's body was found in the bushes a short while later.  He was dead before paramedics could save him.  'His face was beaten beyond recognition,' said Deputy Dist. Atty. Patricia Ryan.

"Although non one reported seeing the attack, police arrested Swindell and his friend on murder charges.  Each has pleaded not guilty, contending that Ogden--who had sneaked out of a hospital only days earlier--was dying from a blow to the head he had received before his encounter with them."

The Swindell/Way/Ogden incident occurred in July of 1993. 

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 02:31:30 PM »
From this thread- http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=15845.0
"It was the first (reported) gay-bashing-murder to hit the skateboard world. Worse, the one skater I idolized was some how involved. You may have heard of him, as he is quite famous. His name is Danny Way.

The facts were in dispute. However, a jury found that Josh Swindell was guilty of a second-degree hate crime murder*. He is now in jail for life.

Word on the street was that Danny, Josh, and Steven Matus were out in L.A. somewhere. They were drunk. They some how came into contact with the Keith Ogden. There was an altercation. At then end Mr. Ogden was dead. Swindell claims the Ogden was really drunk, had a gun, and kept coming-on to Swindell and the others. Swindell admits to hitting Ogden. However, Swindell claims that Ogden had a pre-exisitng head injury that lead to his death. Without this injury, I guess it would have just been a "normal" gay bashing. The other side of the story was that Swindell and crew were out looking to beat up someone who was gay. Either way, he killed someone. As far as I know, Danny Way was never charged with anything, and I do not know the extent of his involvement. However, it is known that he was there."
Fixed.  Not putting quotations around your quotes is plagiarism.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:33:31 PM by L33Tg33k »
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 03:18:32 PM »
bad shit tends to happen at those rap parties.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 04:30:28 PM »
Expand Quote
The homophobia thing is a matter of fact. In the Big Brother issue where they interview skaters about their kids (Vallely is doing a grab over his daughter on the cover) they do a few questions with Danny. He comments that his kid would never grow up to be gay because he's a good parent. Classy!
[close]
He also flips the fuck out when they ask if he is sure the kid is his. I guess interviews like that are really not going to happen anymore.
Definately remember a last words with Danny Way and they ask "when was the last time you felt uncomfortable?" and he named some shit i never heard of so i didnt pay any attention to it, i later found out it is the gay neighborhood in downtown San Diego. Which when i went through wasn't any gayer than any neighborhood in downtown New Orleans.
The also had that Platinum Board with the gay flag with bullet holes in it, and that was when Danny and his brother were doing the company.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 05:39:07 PM »
Expand Quote
"It was the first (reported) gay-bashing-murder to hit the skateboard world. Worse, the one skater I idolized was some how involved. You may have heard of him, as he is quite famous. His name is Danny Way.

Word on the street was that Danny, Josh, and Steven Matus were out in L.A. somewhere. They were drunk. They some how came into contact with the Keith Ogden. There was an altercation. At then end Mr. Ogden was dead. Swindell claims the Ogden was really drunk, had a gun, and kept coming-on to Swindell and the others. Swindell admits to hitting Ogden. However, Swindell claims that Ogden had a pre-exisitng head injury that lead to his death. Without this injury, I guess it would have just been a "normal" gay bashing. The other side of the story was that Swindell and crew were out looking to beat up someone who was gay. Either way, he killed someone. As far as I know, Danny Way was never charged with anything, and I do not know the extent of his involvement. However, it is known that he was there."
[close]
Fixed.  Not putting quotations around your quotes is plagiarism.
Nah, he cites it, so its not plagiarism. It's just bad grammar.
Not that it did work, but how would saying you hit a guy who you knew had a head injury make you less guilty?
Also, Big Brother was known to tell the truth while other mags just played with the balls of sponsors. In the end they could hardly get anybody to interview and had random ads in there. I feel like the industry pushed big brother out in a lot of ways, and no other mag has the balls to pull the shit they did since then. Just based on observations, not confirmed.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 07:48:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Fixed.?  Not putting quotations around your quotes is plagiarism.
Thanks, it was late at night when I quoted that.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 08:08:39 PM »
Damn Doogie I used to like your posts. Now they're just dumb, shape up!!!

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 07:02:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He's being silly I think.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 07:58:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

He's being silly I think. actually Skater Austin and we shouldn't encourage him.
@idealhandmades