Author Topic: Japan  (Read 12677 times)

The Math Professor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Japan
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 08:03:24 PM »
Nara had a couple of spots.  Unfortunately I was only there for a 1 night stay and just did the tourist thing.

Street gap to thread the needle between the posts.

Smooth run up to long boardslide out to the street?  The other side of that rail was at least a 20 foot drop.

Osaka was also cool... takoyaki is soooooo damn oishi.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:10:55 PM by The Math Professor »

The Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 08:07:10 PM »
Someone call Jaws and tell um they've got a set he needs to kickflip mellon in Nara.

The Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 08:18:25 PM »
And a couple shit pics of the Shibuya park I took through the fence.  I was a bit surprised that the place wasn't packed.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 08:02:02 AM »

What does that mean?  That is my bosses last name.

Craigledee

• Rep: 0
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 10:05:35 AM »
I found it tough to skate in Japan for a number of reasons and definately think its worth having an agenda.

Top of the list for me was the big wave thing called Brazil. It sounds ridiculous, but its actually Brazil's entry at the world expo site in Osaka, right in the middle of the park. Its in a secluded bit, so you shouldn't have any problems skating it, even in the middle of the day.

When you're done, check out the aquarium.

The Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 03:42:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What does that mean?  That is my bosses last name.

If something tastes good you say "oishi".  There's so much awesome food in Japan.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 02:21:24 AM »
I found it tough to skate in Japan for a number of reasons and definately think its worth having an agenda.

Top of the list for me was the big wave thing called Brazil. It sounds ridiculous, but its actually Brazil's entry at the world expo site in Osaka, right in the middle of the park. Its in a secluded bit, so you shouldn't have any problems skating it, even in the middle of the day.

Brazil is mad fun! They cleared out a lot bushes and trees so it's not as secluded as it used to be but still hassle free.

What did you find tough about skating in Japan?

The Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2012, 09:38:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Brazil is mad fun! They cleared out a lot bushes and trees so it's not as secluded as it used to be but still hassle free.

What did you find tough about skating in Japan?

I need to skate that Brazil spot in Osaka before I die.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 12:54:44 AM »
I need to skate that Brazil spot in Osaka before I die.
Weren't you just here?
I've got a couple of Brazil vids up:
https://vimeo.com/28923259

https://vimeo.com/41471329

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 11:58:57 AM »
I have 4 days in Tokyo all to myself and an additional week that I have to work there as well.  I'm sure I'll be doing most of my skating at night even on worknights, exploring the areas around my hotel, but since I have so little time to explore during the day I need some recommendations on shit to do, where to wander at night for some drinks and eats.   I'll be staying in the Shinagawa District.  I really don't know very much about Japanese food, other than I really like it so I'm very much interested in what kind of shit I should eat, so I don't end up eating Sushi and Katsudon the whole time.  So far this is all I've come up with:

-Skate Shibuya Skatepark and visit Hesh Dawgz
-Wander around Akihabara...briefly.
-Get drunk and eat around Shinjuku
-Check out the Imperial Palace, Meiji Shrine, and/or Asakusa temples.  Depends how easy they are to get to, I don't want to spend all my free time packed in a subway car, but I'm definitely a sucker for this type of shit.
-A day trip to either Mount Takao or Nakone.  This might not be worth it because I have to spend a day in Mie Prefecture, so hopefully I'll get some great views along the coast and of Mount Fuji during the train ride there and back.

Free gnars for a week for any good tips.  I know you love gnars.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:56:16 PM by chockfullofthat »

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2013, 01:08:50 PM »
I have 4 days in Tokyo all to myself and an additional week that I have to work there as well.?  I'm sure I'll be doing most of my skating at night even on worknights, exploring the areas around my hotel, but since I have so little time to explore during the day I need some recommendations on shit to do, where to wander at night for some drinks and eats.?  ? I'll be staying in the Shinagawa District.?  I really don't know very much about Japanese food, other than I really like it so I'm very much interested in what kind of shit I should eat, so I don't end up eating Sushi and Katsudon the whole time.?  So far this is all I've come up with:

-Check out the Imperial Palace, Meiji Shrine, and/or Asakusa temples.?  Depends how easy they are to get to, I don't want to spend all my free time packed in a subway car, but I'm definitely a sucker for this type of shit.
-A day trip to either Mount Takao or Nakone.?  This might not be worth it because I have to spend a day in Mie Prefecture, so hopefully I'll get some great views along the coast and of Mount Fuji during the train ride there and back.

Free gnars for a week for any good tips.?  I know you love gnars.

Lived in both Minato-ku and near Tsukiji.  In Minato-ku, I often street skated from Minato-ku through Ebisu and into Shibuya.  In Tsukiji, often wandered along the water and found interesting things to skate.

Skated the small park back behind Tamachi station a couple of times to meet up with a friend, but it's nothing to travel across the world for. 

Yokohama makes for a fun visit. 

When you're skating, stay moving, because you will invevitably find a spot and think "this is the coolest spot ever" and then later turn the corner and think "this is the coolest spot ever".
hardly art, hardly starving

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »
Looks like those places are pretty Central.  Could you give me a quick run down of the city?  Just a tip or two about not ending up in a district where I have to spend $20 a beer and shit.  I've been reading wikitravel and such, but would really prefer to hear some of this stuff from a skaters mind.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2013, 03:40:19 PM »
You should head on down to Yokohama for a day Chock.  The shin-yokohama skatepark is nearby the Yokohama F Marinos stadium.  You should try to catch a game if you can.  I love Japan but can't tell you much on how to get around and shit because I just follow my wife around who is from Tokyo.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2013, 06:59:06 PM »
-Check out the Imperial Palace, Meiji Shrine, and/or Asakusa temples.  Depends how easy they are to get to, I don't want to spend all my free time packed in a subway car, but I'm definitely a sucker for this type of shit.
-A day trip to either Mount Takao or Nakone.  This might not be worth it because I have to spend a day in Mie Prefecture, so hopefully I'll get some great views along the coast and of Mount Fuji during the train ride there and back.
- Miyashita is a good park. 200 yen for a 2 hour sesh.
- Can't recommend food in Tokyo because Osaka is way better. Chanko-nabe in Ryogoku is pretty boss though. You can get some really good Korean food in the Korean neighborhood out there.
- Skip the palace unless you like walking forever across gravel to stare at a moat. That place sucks and there isn't shit around there. Meiji is alright, the park is nice and you'll be nearby some alright neighborhoods. Asakusa is rad, go.
- You'll see some cool shit from the Shinkansen if that's what you are taking. What are doing in Mie?

I'll echo the Yokohama day trip, especially since you're in Shinagawa. Don't know when you're coming but next week is interstyle and some of my friends will be there.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2013, 07:23:51 PM »
My first day will be a Thursday, Halloween and I'll be on vacation until Tuesday. Then I'll have to work for a week while still staying in Tokyo besides the night I stay in Mie. I'll be visiting a manufacturing plant there and will be doing product training.  I'll try to see if Yokohama is doable.  I'm not interested in seeing a Japanese football game given the time I have.  Although I think it may be an international break that weekend so maybe something good is going on.  Yokohama is huge so can you be a bit more specific on what to check out.  Thanks for the tip on the Imperial Palace. I'll skip it.  I feel lucky that I'm going in autumn, that's why I want to do a lot of gardens and hiking during the day, and probably just one all out skate day.  But at night, I'm going to just skate everywhere and get super fuckin lost all over Tokyo.  I'm traveling with my coworker who's cool, but doesn't skate so I can't ditch him every night...but I might.

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2013, 07:35:29 PM »
And a couple shit pics of the Shibuya park I took through the fence.  I was a bit surprised that the place wasn't packed.

This is the fucking nike park right? Where they forced the homeless people there to move away to build this prison-like propaganda cage?
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2013, 07:43:43 PM »
My first day will be a Thursday, Halloween and I'll be on vacation until Tuesday. Then I'll have to work for a week while still staying in Tokyo besides the night I stay in Mie. I'll be visiting a manufacturing plant there and will be doing product training.� I'll try to see if Yokohama is doable.� I'm not interested in seeing a Japanese football game given the time I have.� Although I think it may be an international break that weekend so maybe something good is going on.� Yokohama is huge so can you be a bit more specific on what to check out.� Thanks for the tip on the Imperial Palace. I'll skip it.� I feel lucky that I'm going in autumn, that's why I want to do a lot of gardens and hiking during the day, and probably just one all out skate day.� But at night, I'm going to just skate everywhere and get super fuckin lost all over Tokyo.� I'm traveling with my coworker who's cool, but doesn't skate so I can't ditch him every night...but I might.
Autumn is the best. The weather is nice.
If you're interested in gardens, you can take a water taxi from Asakusa to Hamarikyu.
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=35.660469,139.764247&spn=0.016144,0.036907&dg=optperm&t=h&z=15

For Yokohama, the Yokohama and Shin-Yokohama station area to be specific but I am sure locals on the forum can be more helpful.

I was going to say pop on over to Osaka because Mie is pretty close but it doesn't seem like you've got much time there.

And don't feel bad for the homeless. They're bums by choice.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2013, 07:56:43 PM »
Ya if I had more time I'd definitely pop down there to meet up with you, but this is just the first trip to Japan, an appetizer. My girlfriend is dying to go to Japan as well so perhaps sometime in the next 3 years I'll spend a couple weeks traveling the country.   Thanks again for the tips. I'm sure whatever I'll do it will be memorable.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2013, 05:29:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is the fucking nike park right? Where they forced the homeless people there to move away to build this prison-like propaganda cage?

I'm not so sure that is a realistic reflection of what happened.

That "park" was part of a pretty shitty slip of land between Meiji Avenue and the Yamanote line. It really sucked. Probably to live in too, particularly when there is Yoyogi park 10 minutes away (where many homeless people also live...). There was also no real skatepark in close proximity to the Yamanote, bar Tamachi. Nike's name isn't on the park either, from what I know (although I heard rumours they stumped up the cash). Not really as black and white as you paint it...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2013, 08:16:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
And a couple shit pics of the Shibuya park I took through the fence.  I was a bit surprised that the place wasn't packed.
*pics*
[close]

[close]

That "park" was part of a pretty shitty slip of land between Meiji Avenue and the Yamanote line. It really sucked. Probably to live in too, particularly when there is Yoyogi park 10 minutes away (where many homeless people also live...). There was also no real skatepark in close proximity to the Yamanote, bar Tamachi. Nike's name isn't on the park either, from what I know (although I heard rumours they stumped up the cash). Not really as black and white as you paint it...

No it's not black and white, rather grey :P
Whether or not the park sucked and there is an other one, I doubt that nike gave a shit about other peoples interests as long as they get what they want. I remember that there were also protests against this project.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:18:33 AM by _UniversalTruth_ »

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2013, 08:49:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
And a couple shit pics of the Shibuya park I took through the fence.  I was a bit surprised that the place wasn't packed.
*pics*
[close]

[close]

[close]
Whether or not the park sucked and there is an other one, I doubt that nike gave a shit about other peoples interests as long as they get what they want. I remember that there were also protests against this project.

Did you ever go there before it was built? Not the best place to be homeless when you have Yoyogi 5/10 mins away, right? Nike don't have the name on the place as far as I know either. It is Miyashita skatepark. No advertising, no swooshes, nothing. So what were the benefits for them?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2013, 08:59:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
*pics*
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Did you ever go there before it was built? Not the best place to be homeless when you have Yoyogi 5/10 mins away, right? Nike don't have the name on the place as far as I know either. It is Miyashita skatepark. No advertising, no swooshes, nothing. So what were the benefits for them?
I have no idea what it looked like and why they built that skatepark. All I remember is that there was a lot of criticism, you will have to ask the protestors what they were all about. I'm just reporting and exaggerating.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2013, 09:07:23 AM »
You're basically being useless.

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »
Well, I am well aware that you don't like me but that insight is even less useful than my previous posts in here.
Now continue with Japan.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:57:11 AM by _UniversalTruth_ »

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2013, 08:17:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Well, I am well aware that you don't like me but that insight is even less useful than my previous posts in here.
Now continue with Japan.
No.
You are indeed useless. You know dick.
Please fuck off now.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2013, 07:26:48 AM »
If you're going to Japan (Tokyo area), I would:

Skate: Tamachi (for its history)
           Planet Park Hachioji (Tobuki), best park in "Tokyo" (prefecture), bitch to get to.
           Shin Yoko hama park (Under shin yok international stadium).           
           sakura gicho was always fun for street.
           Odaiba again lots of street spots.
           Shibuya park: easy to get to and skate.

Do:

In Tokyo: Shibuya and  Harajuku for young crazy folk, Shinjuku (kabukicho) to see the 'seedy' area, although you won't get to see the real dirt...

Get drunk and go to a batting center. Karaoke too, but be careful, they can really burn you...

Andy's Izakaya, under the tracks in yurakucho too. Best food. Tell him you skate and he might give you the lemonheart!

nearby places: Nikko is cool. Hakkone for an onsen. Shimoda for beach fun.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2013, 11:30:15 AM »
man do i miss convenience store onigiri and the Asahi beer vending machines

here's an old pic of our fridge in Tsukiji
hardly art, hardly starving

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2013, 11:36:14 AM »

i love it.  nothing better with japanese food than Asahi
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2013, 12:07:41 PM »

Onigiri huh?  Japanese convenience stores sure get a lot of hype.  I'd imagine they are pretty easy to spot and save a ton of money for lunch.  Also Jive Turkey, that sumo soup sounds good as fuck too.  I read about that a little.

I've heard of these beer vending machines as well.  I assume that implies you can drink on the street.  What about drinking on trains?  Not like a subway in the heart of tokyo but a train to Takao-san for example.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:22:47 PM by chockfullofthat »

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
take ALOT of photos dude , and find some nice place to upload it !