Author Topic: "Curing" rocket flips  (Read 11790 times)

Andrefosho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
"Curing" rocket flips
« on: June 22, 2011, 03:02:24 PM »
So I have probably the worst kickflips - mobbed and nose always pointed up in the sky. I'm cool with them being mobbed, but the rocket thing pisses me off. If I snap the tail harder the board goes up into my crotch. If I kick my front foot stronger, board goes flying, and tail doesn't even lift up. Can't figure it out. Any advice?

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
Re: "Curing" rocket flips
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 04:14:04 PM »
maybe dont necessarily try to flick harder but more straight out in front of you

im probably lying

lerkur

• Rep: -1
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 04:17:51 PM »
be more relaxed with the flick, and put your weight centered on your board more
~*~be one with the board~*~

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 05:25:32 PM »
center your weight a bit more.. maybe move your back foot up if it's on the point of the tail. i had the same problem this year trying to get em back.. eventually it worked itself out.

bandini

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 05:38:29 PM »
Something someone told me 25 years ago that I still follow about kickflips: ollie first - THEN flip.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 05:56:16 PM »
bingo! You know how you slide your foot with an ollie? Same thing, just kickflip.

ollie kickflip
ableSkateMag.com

swllbo

• Rep: 13
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:14:38 PM »
Something someone told me 25 years ago that I still follow about kickflips: ollie first - THEN flip.

This^. Sounds like you are flicking to early. give it a good pop, then after it levels out a bit let your foot flick it.

clamy

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 12:55:11 AM »
Mine are really bad, too. Doesn't help that my ankle hurts almost everytime I do them but I'm going to give them another go. Kickflipping into anything is fun.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 01:02:03 AM »
Thanks for your input.
Yesterday I was watching Kalis Epicly Later'd and saw the kickflip he does in the ender of his Peep this part and I thought "damn, gotta do something about my kickflips!" I hope it works out.

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 03:55:24 AM »
Thanks for your input.
Yesterday I was watching Kalis Epicly Later'd and saw the kickflip he does in the ender of his Peep this part and I thought "damn, gotta do something about my kickflips!" I hope it works out.
That looked unreal, I used to stop it at the part where the catch looks all ninjaish . And the photographer fucking up the shot, haha.

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 08:10:39 PM »
whats your foot placement like?

Jonorhea

• Rep: -5
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 10:49:12 PM »

SDG

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 06:22:14 AM »
put more of your foot on it, so there's more toe to scrape diagonally up across the side

I think this should solve your problem. Also, I find trying different positions with your back foot for tricks can help too (ie. more toe inside like for a hardflip)

aojiru

• Rep: 0
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »
Sounds like you're not properly doing an ollie first.  Seen too many kids at skateparks doing no-pop rocketflips on flat all the time! 

Get a good pop, scrape the ollie and the flip comes right at the end of the scrape when your board should be leveling out. 

If you're thinking about flipping the board right when you pop the tail, it's going to rocket most of the time.

Definitely, put your foot more on the board, maybe have your toes a little behind the opposite edge of the board.  Most people start by tippy-toeing on the edge to get the flipping action down but as you get used to it, you should move it over to get a better pop/flick.  I remember tripping out when I saw Jeremy Wray putting his foot in almost heelflip position to do frontside flips, but the results were undeniable.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 10:42:46 AM »
It's funny how none of the kickflip trick tip videos (or the ones I have seen) tell you to "ollie first, kickflip then". They all are like - foot in ollie position, snap your tail, flick blah blah blah. Anyway, thanks to you, I have my kickflip game going in solid direction.

ChildOfTheBurbs

• Rep: -65513
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 10:58:36 AM »
Nah dude, don't try to cure rocket flips. Rocket flips will be the trick for 2012, and then we'll be the ones asking you how to do them. Keep it.

bandini

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 11:14:58 AM »
99% of trick tip videos are a complete waste of time, it seems to me. They all follow the exact same format:

"hi, I'm Pudgy Wilson and today we're going to learn Turd Flips. Okay, to do a Turd Flip, you want to first learn Turds and Regular Flips. Then, you put your feet in the Turd Flip position, pop your tail, flip it, catch it, ride away clean..."

aojiru

• Rep: 0
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 03:04:23 PM »
Only really helpful thing about trick tips seems to be seeing the trick done over and over again.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 05:02:35 PM »
i learned powerslides from a 12 year old kids "how to" video one year ago. after 12 years of skating.
it was the only how to video that ever worked.
speaking of "how to videos"
how comes it that this guy hasn't got a thread on slap yet?:
Street Skateboarding Basics : How to Do a Boneless in Skateboarding
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 05:07:34 PM by pica »

rmoto

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 08:38:42 PM »
When you start to rocket flip spread your legs real wide in midair and stay above the board so that it sticks you right in the nuts. That should scare you to where you never do one again.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 07:00:49 PM »
Your front foot is too weak when you flip it. People have a bunch of good suggestions, just make sure when you do the flip, your foot grabs onto a decent size chunk of the board, and try to do it more of an outward flick than downward kick. When you kick down your foot goes through the board on its way up, when you flick out, you flip it as you flatten it out.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 12:29:35 AM »
^^ what gipper said.   when i was younger i had the same thing then i saw a video of colin mcckay doing these real lofty and smooth ones in a trick tip video, much like anthony mosely and ryan kenrich used to do.   his foot was more on the board than mine was at the time for ollies and it was not at all slanted.  i didn't really understand that that at all or how it worked.   i thought if my foot was more on it just wouldn't flip.......as it turned out (in my case) it forced me to learn to ollie and then drag it out.   kind of like when reynolds kickflips on flat or down something.  his whole damn foot is on that.      keep that front foot heavy

where is home?

The Twilight Zone

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 02:16:36 PM »
99% of trick tip videos are a complete waste of time, it seems to me. They all follow the exact same format:

"hi, I'm Pudgy Wilson and today we're going to learn Turd Flips. Okay, to do a Turd Flip, you want to first learn Turds and Regular Flips. Then, you put your feet in the Turd Flip position, pop your tail, flip it, catch it, ride away clean..."

"and now take it down some stairs"

and that "boneless" trick tip is hilarious

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 04:17:24 PM by pica »

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 05:52:42 AM »

and their usually wrong, i saw one that said in order to learn tre flips you need to have a clean 360 shuv and a kickflips on lock  ::)

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 11:28:04 PM »
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 01:33:05 AM »
I've had the problem with a few decks, I just use the nose as a tail and it works. Just a suggestion if all else fails.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 10:43:03 AM »
I've had the problem with a few decks, I just use the nose as a tail and it works. Just a suggestion if all else fails.

this. seriously, i can barley do flip tricks with the tail.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.