Author Topic: Benefits of High Trucks VS. Low Trucks  (Read 25184 times)

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
Benefits of High Trucks VS. Low Trucks
« on: June 24, 2011, 07:23:39 PM »
I have never really understood the benefit of a "high" truck in comparison to a low truck, other than the fact that there is a lesser chance of getting wheel bite.  I've tried transferring over to the high side but my timing is thrown off so much that I don't see much point in trying them for very long.  Despite that, I have always been intrigued because of how so many people are die hard about them.

So what are the benefits of them?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

ChildoftheGhetto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Benefits of High Trucks VS. Low Trucks
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 07:27:12 PM »
No wheelbite and they turn a little better. Not really that much of a difference. People that suck like to act like there's a huge difference, so they can feel superior and make it look like they know what they're talking about.

Archie Bunker

• Rep: 17
  • I've got the juice now
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 08:06:43 PM »
skating wheels bigger than 52mm is a bitch if you're riding low trucks
Bitch I'm 'bout it 'bout it

aWizard

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 09:04:04 PM »
I just feel more comfortable on high trucks, I can't really tell the difference though.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:11:47 PM by aWizard »
I like my trucks between "loose" and "you're a faggot".

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 09:26:36 PM »
with highs you also get more kingpin clearance for grinds

Zeeko

• Rep: 1
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 09:29:18 PM »
I rode low trucks for the longest time. It was always venture lows and thunder lows all through out my first 6 - 7 years that I skated. I skated mellow stuff like ledges, manual pads, maybe a gap here and there and mostly flat ground so it made sense. Even my first pair of indys were the low ones, which shows how long i was in the low truck game for. But then I got curious and wanted to try skating high trucks. Thats when I also wanted to step up from 775 to 8 inch boards so i was in for a pretty big difference. It was pretty awkward at first, my setup was heavier (board size difference), and it felt like i needed more effort to pop with the higher trucks. But I stuck it out and got used to them. I wanted to change the way i skated, i wanted more control over my board and be able to "cruise" for lack of a better word. Having ridin both low and high trucks i'd say they're both good for different reasons. Its all personal preference. There is a pretty significant difference between the two. For low trucks i'd skate smaller wheels (52mm max) and probably have the trucks a little more on the tight side to avoid wheel bite. It all comes down to how much "give" you want when your turning. Higher trucks allow more "give". When you get used to turning with high trucks and jump on a board with low trucks it feels like theres not enough of that give, or maybe there is only its a lot quicker, so thats where the wheel bite comes in. I feel people who skate low trucks have them more on the tight side, but they like the feeling of being lower to the ground and having their board a little snappyer (that can't be a word). From experience and my personal preference, I go with the high trucks. once you get used to them you'll wonder how you ever rode low trucks.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 09:32:09 PM »
my first board was a complete and it came with 55mm wheels and regular ass Indys.  i am only die hard about high trucks because it is what feels right to me.  i get weirded out with low ones because the tail hits the ground so fast.  im sure if i first started with low trucks i would be die hard about those instead.    it doesn't matter.  
where is home?

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 09:32:41 PM »
Do they have low 149's in any truck brand?

nylin

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 09:46:44 PM »

Can't really think of any.

swllbo

• Rep: 13
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 10:22:53 PM »
I started out with regular indys back in the early 90's, then switched to venture lows when they came out( our at least when I found out about them) combined with extremely small wheels for a quicker pop. At the time I felt like it did help me learn a lot of flip tricks.
I rode them up until about 3 or 4 yrs ago. I wanted to go with a bigger board, and I couldn't find a matching low, so I went with the highs. I can ride my trucks a little looser without to much wheelbite, although it was a little akward at first it doesn't take more than a day or two to get use to. What you choose to ride is really only personal preference. If you like a quicker pop, ride lows. If you like a bit of a looser ride, ride highs.

zuma

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 01:33:25 AM »

thunder 149 are actually medium hight... if you put them next to 147 high s they re a little lower, just in between low and high. homey pointed it out to me a while ago. now i m back to indys again even though thunders were all right

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 02:44:48 AM »
used to ride thunder 145 los then switched to highs when i got wheels bigger than 48mm, had to use risers with both anyway

Buddy G

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 02:56:04 AM »
the best way to avoid wheelbite is to balance and land your shit better.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 03:05:51 AM »

easier said than done if youre trucks are loose enough, ive got wheelbite from just turning before

Buddy G

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 03:18:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

easier said than done if youre trucks are loose enough, ive got wheelbite from just turning before

i can get it stood on my board stationary, however loose your trucks are the better you get at skating the less likely you'll be to get wheelbite. it's not that easy though but skating isn't supposed to be easy?

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 03:20:37 AM »
I recently switched back to a 7.625 for two weeks because I felt like a change and the only trucks I had that fit were some thunder lows.
I switched back to my regular indys a few days ago and it feels so much better. They just feel a whole lot better to stand on. People say they like lows because of the quick pop, but I find it detrimental. The tail hitting the ground quicker feels alot more limiting.  The extra height helps alot for ledges and grinds. And it makes a world of difference on transition.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 03:54:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i can get it stood on my board stationary, however loose your trucks are the better you get at skating the less likely you'll be to get wheelbite. it's not that easy though but skating isn't supposed to be easy?

exactly, the only downside is other peoples boards.

The other day the guy who owns my local shop asked me to test out his board because the shop is thinking about changing their wood and shape or the shop boards, but i couldnt test it because the trucks just felt far too tight and i didnt feel comfortable

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 12:04:56 PM »
I recently switched back to a 7.625 for two weeks because I felt like a change and the only trucks I had that fit were some thunder lows.
I switched back to my regular indys a few days ago and it feels so much better. They just feel a whole lot better to stand on. People say they like lows because of the quick pop, but I find it detrimental. The tail hitting the ground quicker feels alot more limiting.  The extra height helps alot for ledges and grinds. And it makes a world of difference on transition.

How exactly does it help though, I don't see how highs could be more beneficial for either?

Never forget:

sdscanz

• Rep: -3
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 12:11:56 PM »
boards with low trucks just look weird.

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 01:42:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How exactly does it help though, I don't see how highs could be more beneficial for either?
For me the extra height helps alot on getting up onto higher ledges and I find the extra clearance alot better for balancing 5-0s and nose grinds. And especially on crooked grinds, the height holds the board at a steeper angle which makes me slip out a lot less. Though I guess you can call all that personal preference.

And skating lows on our mini, when I hung my board over the coping to drop in the wheels barely touched the ramp. And someone elses who skates Tensors the wheels don't even touch the ramp . And it just feels so much better having that bit more height when you ride through the transition.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 03:00:06 PM »
there was this belief in the 90's that the lower the board was to the ground, the better your balance would be and the easier flip tricks would be.  this is where little wheels/low trucks came from.  not really sure if there was any evidence of it, but i rode lows for the longest time because of it.  i switched back about 5 or more years ago and now i really prefer high trucks.  maybe highs give you more leverage for higher pop?  who knows.  i just know for me that i like em high and heavy, fuck all the gimmicks
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 03:07:11 PM »
I just switched from indy lows to thunder highs and the transition was pretty easy. I tried going from indy lows to indy highs before and i couldn't do it. But the thunder highs are a little lower than an indy high, which makes it easier to get used to. They also turn a little sharper so you can ride them a little tighter and still weave  are little kids at a skatepark. Definitely really like the switch. I was getting mad wheelbite with the indy lows because I like riding loose trucks, so having the highs gives me the best of both worlds!

barkeep11

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -135
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 05:29:36 PM »
Ha!  I was riding Indy lows for a couple of years then I went back to highs...  I ground my last set (of highs) down to the axle and they cracked so I set up a set of lows that I had socked away.  I went to skate to the store, took a corner and got a surprise... Right in front of a hot mom who said "you know, you really should wear a helmet".   DOH! FAAK!

I say 'no' to lows!!

clamy

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 05:41:32 PM »
The normal Indy mids are fine for me, I thought about getting the Indy lows but they look a little weird. Glad I didn't.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 08:18:48 PM »
I'm a little older, so the term "high" trucks is almost as bad as "shortboards".

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2011, 09:30:10 PM »
The term "streetstyle" is painful to me.

Never forget: