Author Topic: Market research: what do you think of these trucks?  (Read 9161 times)

simonov

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Market research: what do you think of these trucks?
« on: June 25, 2011, 02:05:03 PM »
I am hoping you guys can help with a little market research I am doing.  Here is a list of truck manufacturers.  What are your feelings about each of the companies named, and their products?  Some companies are more famous for high quality and others may be for edgier marketing, etc.

o Destructo
o Element
o Independent
o Krux
o Randal
o Slant
o Surf-Rodz
o Tensor
o Theeve
o Thunder
o Tracker
o Venture

What are some of your favorite truck makers and why?

Go ahead and mix it up.  I'd like to see what gets folks excited about trucks.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:07:38 PM by simonov »

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
Re: Market research: what do you think of these trucks?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 04:01:23 PM »
This truck broke too easily.

This truck doesn't turn right.

This truck is too tall.

I really hope that helped out.  (Just kidding)
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Archie Bunker

• Rep: 17
  • I've got the juice now
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 04:02:53 PM »
thunder definitely has a viral internet marketing campaign going on therefore a lot of younger kids skate their trucks.  Street Corner has been pretty generous to this area so Ventures are skated a lot, and a few old guys skate indys.  This is just in a shitty town in the midwest though
Bitch I'm 'bout it 'bout it

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 04:49:06 PM »
I am hoping you guys can help with a little market research I am doing.  Here is a list of truck manufacturers.  What are your feelings about each of the companies named, and their products?  Some companies are more famous for high quality and others may be for edgier marketing, etc.

o Destructo - never skated em forgot they were even around til they re-did their team.
o Element - never have and never would skate em.
o Independent - good trucks, was my truck of choice til i started skating thunders. indy's are my 2nd choice if thunders aren't available
o Krux - havent skated em, but would be down if i got hooked up
o Randal- never heard of these
o Slant - haven't heard of em either
o Surf-Rodz - not even gonna say any thing
o Tensor - garbage, had some with the sliders and didnt like the turning
o Theeve - seem good, but again wouldn't pay full price for em if i saw thunder/indy/venture..would skate em if i got em hooked up
o Thunder - #1 choice
o Tracker - their still around?
o Venture - my #3 choice, love the highs!

What are some of your favorite truck makers and why? thunders, they turn good and grind smooth.

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 03:38:20 PM »
I rock Gullwings brah.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 11:01:10 PM »

o Destructo             C.S.G.
o Element                Boise Cascade
o Independent        Ask the Dr.
o Krux                      AP
o Randal                  Backwards
o Slant                     Chrysler 6
o Surf-Rodz              Never heard of it. Sounds shitty
o Tensor                  Frontside crooked grind frontside grab
o Theeve                  Save yourself a Bones swap
o Thunder                Coco B. Ware
o Tracker                  Moustashioed
o Venture                 ruckst uckstr ckstru kstruc struck

Also, I wouldn't recommend mixing them up since the geometries are different.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 06:13:31 AM »

o Destructo-Arto, wouldn't ride them
o Element- :-X
o Independent-Indys are pretty awesome. Turn pretty well
o Krux-Never had them
o Randal-no
o Slant-no
o Surf-Rodz-hell no
o Tensor-skated like shit didn't turn
o Theeve-Never had any, would fuck with
o Thunder-Great, turn awesome grind smooth
o Tracker-Just put patrick melcher on their team, being said, never would ride any
o Venture-Great

However I just set up some Ace 33's and they're amazing.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:24:03 AM »
o Destructo - good trucks but not a big fan for some reason
o Element - lol
o Independent - too heavy for my liking
o Krux - used to rock these hard when i was younger but still like the look of em more than the performance
o Randal - wat?
o Slant - wat?
o Surf-Rodz - wat?
o Tensor - had a pair, never again
o Theeve - would like to try some, any truck that comes with bones hardcores as standard must know a thing or two about trucks
o Thunder - amazing, i like them mostly for the turning capabilities
o Tracker - rings a bell but dont know anything about em
o Venture - i see these as the average standard truck

all i want from my trucks is smooth grinds and quick responsive turning

simonov

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 08:59:39 AM »
Thanks, guys, this is good stuff so far.

Indys seem to be a favorite everywhere.  What do you guys like about them?  What makes them so popular?

And why all the hate for Element?

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 09:44:52 AM »

Indys seem to be a favorite everywhere.?  What do you guys like about them??  What makes them so popular?

from my experience the 3 favourite trucks are indy thunder and venture

element is hated generally not just their trucks, and ther hated for the same reason as DC and so on, because they got too big and famous and started moving away from bieng a "core skateboarding brand"

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 10:21:31 AM »

Element trucks are Destructo lows with different labeling. That is all, nothing else. 

duffmanshredder

• Rep: 16
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »
o Destructo-Recently I've wanted to try a pair.  Team is sick.
o Element-Worse than Surf-Rodz.
o Independent-2nd choice when choosing trucks.  Real good, but not quite my favorite.
o Krux-Heard that they were really good and have friends that swear by them.  Never understood why they aren't viewed on the same level as Indy, Thunder, and Venture.
o Randal-Aren't those for longboards?
o Slant- Aren't those for longboards?
o Surf-Rodz- Fuck that shit.
o Tensor-Terrible trucks, but can't hate too much because it's Rodney's company.
o Theeve-Really good and they come with Bones bushings.
o Thunder-Definitely my favorite, Thunder for life.
o Tracker-Melcher is rad, but I wouldn't ever ride them.
o Venture-Never really liked the way they look, but I've heard they skate well.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 06:36:29 PM by duffmanshredder »
it's not fantasizing if it really happened.  your gay as fuck for even thinkin about them havin sex u fagit

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 06:58:50 PM »

Indys seem to be a favorite everywhere.  What do you guys like about them?  What makes them so popular?

I'm not sure it can really be explained to someone who doesn't skate since it's a combination of several factors, some subtle. People like Indys for the way they turn. Read their book. In a nutshell, Indy basically copied an otherwise well-designed truck, Bennett, made the baseplate aluminum instead of plastic, and put more meat on the hanger so it would perform better in pools. The turning radius (everyone previously rode sluggish Trackers, which were good for hills) happened to be ideal for street skating, so it's captured the market share since.

Element are cheap OEM trucks designed to keep prices low on completes. Real skaters don't ride junk unless they're desperate.

Simonov, I'm assuming you're either trying to introduce a new truck to an already saturated market or trying to make a longboard brand more relevant. I'm sure most will be forthright with their opinions if they knew what this is all about. After all, a truck company ran by non-skaters is destined to fail. There's no fear in giving away "secrets".

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 08:24:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm not sure it can really be explained to someone who doesn't skate since it's a combination of several factors, some subtle. People like Indys for the way they turn. Read their book. In a nutshell, Indy basically copied an otherwise well-designed truck, Bennett, made the baseplate aluminum instead of plastic, and put more meat on the hanger so it would perform better in pools. The turning radius (everyone previously rode sluggish Trackers, which were good for hills) happened to be ideal for street skating, so it's captured the market share since.

Element are cheap OEM trucks designed to keep prices low on completes. Real skaters don't ride junk unless they're desperate.

Simonov, I'm assuming you're either trying to introduce a new truck to an already saturated market or trying to make a longboard brand more relevant. I'm sure most will be forthright with their opinions if they knew what this is all about. After all, a truck company ran by non-skaters is destined to fail. There's no fear in giving away "secrets".
He has a point. If you don't skate I wouldn't try and put a product on the market that you don't personally know about. Especially with all the truck companies that are popular, indy, thunder, ace, venture, theeve, krux so on and so on.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 10:48:13 PM »
o Destructo-eehhh
o Element-
o Independent-skateboarding
o Krux-lame
o Randal-
o Slant-
o Surf-Rodz-
o Tensor-fuck no
o Theeve-can't afford them.
o Thunder-i'm done with those
o Tracker-what?
o Venture-nah, i like turning.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

sufodiv

• Rep: -5
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 10:12:22 AM »
o Destructo - never skated
o Element   - shit
o Independent - too heavy, just a ugly/bulky looking truck
o Krux - all around good truck and you can use the hole as a bottle opener
o Randal - ?
o Slant  - ?
o Surf-Rodz - ?
o Tensor - not appealing
o Theeve - Would skate them if they were cheeper
o Thunder - The best truck i have ever skated, definitely meant for street skaters
o Tracker  - eh
o Venture - a very light truck with a good look and a good price

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 10:44:49 AM »

A lot of people like Indy's due to how they perform, turn and durablity. Plus they have estahblished them selves as a "core" brand (although they sell Indy shit at pac sun and a lot of bro's rock the shirts), combined with a really big following is the reason Indy's are a favorite.

The hate for Element trucks is that fact that they are not a truck company, Element is known for making boards. I've only seen Element trucks on-line and in Arena's board shop in Costa Rica - and I didn't see a single person riding them in my 10 days there.

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

vince the stud

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -202
  • 4Q
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 12:59:46 PM »
o Destructo- are shit, axle bended from factory
o Element - are just destructo disguised fyi
o Independent-fuck the rest
o Krux- skated them in early loved the round kingpin. stoped because they didnt make 149
o Randal- say what
o Slant-????
o Surf-Rodz - where are you getting those
o Tensor-the worst kingpin ever. doing 50-50 on them
o Theeve-alot of indy og are switching to them
o Thunder-i love the skinny design. never had them would give tthem a try. got the unholy mother of god ugliest logo ever
o Tracker - no way
o Venture- ugly design. get the job done

ace fuckin 44 man. that's the stuff

What are some of your favorite truck makers and why?

[/quote]
tricks are for kids , style is forever

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 11:37:05 AM »
Indy-Dont like how they turn, but they get the job done, not for me though
Krux-Only had one pair, but they were great
Venture-I hate how they look, and dont like how they turn
Thunder-My shit, love everything about them, turn, grind, look. 
Theeve-Probably my next choice, because they make 8,25 inch trucks, and Titanium is something to fuck with, looking forward for them.

Others? who cares..

simonov

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 02:21:56 PM »

Chavo, thanks for your comments, you seem to be very perceptive.  You may be interested in knowing some of the details behind my questions.

I posted here to get a quick run-down on how a lot of skaters perceive various truck brands (because as far as I am concerned at this point, perception is reality).  I can also get a lot of good feedback by hanging out at the local skatepark, but we have the internet these days and everything's faster and easier on-line.

I haven't skated in a long time.  I did most of my skating back when Metaflex wheels changed the game, but by the time the Independent Truck Company came along I was already into cars and girls and not so much into skateboarding.  What I do these days is design and produce, locally, parts and accessories for tactical shotguns.  It's something I am good at, and I've been looking around for other areas where I can apply my expertise.

A truck company run by non-skaters is not destined to fail, at least not for that reason.  I sell to cops and the military and I sure wasn't a cop or a soldier when I started my business.  I didn't really even have much experience with shotguns, didn't understand them.  But I am a good listener and have built my entire company on innovation.  Today ours are increasingly the standard on-gun shell carriers for law enforcement agencies, and our stocks have been adopted by people like the FBI and the LAPD.

I'm not bragging here, I'm just revealing a little about my approach to things.  I want to get up to speed quickly on skateboard trucks, and you guys have been really helpful.  I will be looking closely at what is available, and if I see some room for innovation - if I think of something valuable I can build into a new design - I might want to give it a shot.  But if I can't innovate I'm not interested.  As you said it's a crowded market and I can't imagine there's any room for another cookie-cutter manufacturer who doesn't have the promotional budget of Indy or Destructo (and I sure as hell don't).

But I want to address some of the other comments that have been made here, not for my own sake but for yours.  I think there was a suggestion that a new company can't survive in a market dominated by the likes of Independent et al.  That's just not true.  Very few people I have spoken to have ever heard of Randal (local guys, in San Diego County) and almost no one I know has heard of Street Rodz.  Yet presumably these two companies continue to thrive, in the shadows of the big boys.  You don't have to be number one or even number two to survive in business; you just need to establish yourself in a niche - perhaps a niche you have invented yourself.

This is important because a lot of people with good ideas are afraid to execute them because they figure they can't possibly compete with the guys who are already in the market.  When I started my company, I figured I had a good idea and I just ran with it; I wasn't too worried about what the other guys were doing (and frankly almost no one else was really paying any attention to what I had in mind, so I had a free run).  I will admit I made a lot of costly mistakes, and I have been very lucky by being able to have recovered from them.  But the basic idea was sound.

One reason we were able to do what we did is because we were the only guys who were not afraid to try to make something better, not just cheaper.  We have a competitor that has by far the number one share of on-gun shell carriers and has been selling them for something like 20 or 30 years.  They had almost no competition until we came along, because there is simply no way to do what they do for less money.  It can't be done.  And since that's what American manufacturing is all about anymore - how to make things cheaper, not better - no one wanted to risk competing with them.  So I looked at the problem and said, "I know I can make a better product, but it will cost more," and I jumped into the market.  What I came up with was not rocket science, it wasn't a brilliant game-changing improvement on how things were done previously, it was just a number of (rather obvious) improvements on existing designs.  But it cost more so no one tried it until I came along.  Because I was dumb enough to believe people would pay more for a better product.

And now we are doing well.  No one will get rich off of this, but I am keeping five people employed.

Anyway, I wrote all that just to say don't necessarily believe the common wisdom about these things, especially if you are smart guy, a fast learner, with good ideas.   I think the young people of today have been very poorly served by their parents' generation.  The US (I know you aren't all Americans here) has convinced itself that making things is what China is for and that the future is in espresso shops, dog-walking services and iPhone apps.  That's bullshit and I've proved it.

One reason I was initially interested in skateboard trucks (aside from the fact that my shop is on Monrovia Ave in Costa Mesa and we are surrounded by skateboard, surfboard and streetwear companies) was because of a conversation I had with some guys from a skateboard company down the street, who bought their trucks from China.  My ears pricked up because I am extremely interested in making things here in California that most people think have to be sent offshore to China.  I assumed that, like everything else, most of the skateboard truck manufacturing industry had been sent offshore, and so I had an opportunity to appeal to customers who wanted a US-made product.

I was very pleased to learn (well, I had mixed emotions) during my researches that most of the US truck companies make their products here in the US.  Skateboarders should be proud they are supporting an almost entirely home-grown industry, which is more than can be said about most other segments of society (again, I realize you guys aren't all Americans).  Now if only your clothes could be US-made!

Anyway, I have blathered on for long enough.  Once again, I appreciate your responses, and I hope you have a better appreciation for where I am coming from.  I am still interested in learning anything you guys want to reveal about this business (I'll answer any questions, too), but from my initial research I am a little intimidated by the industry.  Unlike the firearms industry, this seems to be a business full of highly innovative firms that continue to manufacture their products domestically.  There may well be no place for me to fit in.  But I will continue to study the business carefully for a few months at least.

simonov

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 02:27:34 PM »
BTW, here's the story on Metaflex: http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/general-longboarding/3991-metaflex.html#post1298810279

I am about seven years younger than that guy and grew up ten miles south of him.

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 02:35:24 PM »
shit, why not..

o Destructo- had a hand-me-down set, liked em well enough. very indy-like
o Independent- awesome. carve-y. if i can complain about a single thing, i noticed the axles strip a bit easier than anything else i've tried. that can be fixed, though.
o Tensor- pretty damn bad. the damn things don't turn.. it's either straight ahead or full flop-on. they're lighter than most, if that helps matters (no it doesn't).
o Theeve- trying these next.. cautiously optimistic

bonus write-ins!

o Grind Kings - blew up on me, but the invert kingpin isn't a bad idea.
o Core - got em free, used in a pinch, blew up on me even sooner than i already expected them to blow up on me. undisputed worst of the worst, even moreso than tensors

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 03:03:57 PM »
o Destructo- had no problems with the ones I had.
o Element- couldn't bring myself to buy them.
o Independent- big fan
o Krux- love the round kingpin, just wish they put it on their highs+made a 149
o Randal- what
o Slant- what
o Surf-Rodz- sounds like a dildo company
o Tensor- Daewon rides them, so they can't be that bad...but I had some hand me down ones when I was younger and they sucked.
o Theeve- I'm curious to try some theeve's, my friend loves them.
o Thunder- probably my favorite. I like the twitchier turning, and they grind really well.
o Tracker- didn't tracker make a truck for a while that had a concave on the hanger, so that you could "grind better"? lololol
o Venture- I've never ridden them, but I want to try a set when their bigger size comes out.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

dlx111

• Rep: -58
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »
indy=long life and good turning

thunder=smooth grind, alright life i guess. havent had any of their new stuff so wouldnt know.

theeve=amazing construction. really all around good trucks, lightweight, great turning, good grind. best purchase i ever made.

tracker=take it off the list. i had em before my theeves and the axles on both of em were knocked loose in the first couple weeks, and also their bushing seats are not compatible with anything else but tracker stuff or atleast mine were.

royal= cheap quality. my brother had a pair a while back and snapped the axle by just smacking em on the ground.

tensor=not 100% sure, but again my brother broke his after only a month or so.

the rest i have no idea.

vince the stud

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -202
  • 4Q
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 07:27:45 PM »
theeve taking over lol
tricks are for kids , style is forever

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 07:51:41 PM »
Anyway, I have blathered on for long enough.  Once again, I appreciate your responses, and I hope you have a better appreciation for where I am coming from.  I am still interested in learning anything you guys want to reveal about this business (I'll answer any questions, too), but from my initial research I am a little intimidated by the industry.  Unlike the firearms industry, this seems to be a business full of highly innovative firms that continue to manufacture their products domestically.  There may well be no place for me to fit in.  But I will continue to study the business carefully for a few months at least.

I only ride Indy's or Thunders, but always kill them the same way.  Come up with a better kingpin, and then sell it to all the truck manufacturers and skate shop distributers.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 09:04:13 PM »
It would be great if you could come up with something to change trucks for the better. But Indy, Theeve, Thunder and Venture especially as of late have been on the "front-lines" if you will of truck innovation. Right now the trends are all about weight, lightest this, hollow that. But if you wanted a model on how to innovate and market innovation in skateboarding trucks keep a close eye on Theeve, probably the most successful brand new company. Another thing is unless you're selling like said, kingpins, or baseplates to shops as an aftermarket producer, then you'll need a team to market your product successfully. A lot of skateboarders ride things that are endorsed by skateboarders they enjoy watching. Teams are for advertising. And unless you are a 3rd party a good, well-respected team is a must have to make your marketing scheme/business plan take hold and be successful.
I.E.

killaboots

• Rep: 0
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 07:55:54 AM »
o Destructo Never rode them
o Element haha
o Independent good but both the pairs ive had broke..... not as easy to warranty when not in usa
o Krux equal best trucks ive owned loved the king pins and the way they turned though i had to make the switch to theeve because they dont make a 149
o Randal never heard of them
o Slant never heard of them
o Surf-Rodz never heard of them
o Tensor never tried
o Theeve had them for three months so far just as good as the krux. the turning is probily even better. i have no idea what everyone says about the price.... the tiax works out the same as indys once you buy bones bushings for them... the csx is even cheaper
o Thunder never tried
o Tracker nope
o Venture had a few pairs years ago. they were good but i found the king pin got in the way

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2011, 03:42:42 PM »
I heard basically the same story back in 1988, minus the guns part.  It took 20 years but they finally became respected in the slalom and longboard market, not for what we do here.  But they certainly thought out of the box and believed in what they were doing.

Have a look here:
http://www.seismicskate.com/

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2011, 04:05:45 PM »
got some old ventures on my chill/cruzer board due to my local getting in Theeves. not sure what the deal about the price, here in te UK they are the same or cheaper than tensors or indys. Theeve feel like they turn better and just are all round more stable, although i have to have a bones hard at the bottom and a standard bones medium in the top. think its just down to how good they respond makes them feel a little loose for me, now i got them dialed in though. stay the fuck away from tensors. biggest mistake and waste of money of my skateboarding life.